Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

How many of you guys work on other people's Mowers?


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM
B-2 Lawncare B-2 Lawncare is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0
B-2 Lawncare is on a distinguished road
Default How many of you guys work on other people's Mowers?

I have become know as the John Deere guy around town, Now I am not a mechanic but I am a displaced fram kid who can fix most stuff. In my shop I have all the tools needed to do about anthing a guy needs, from welding to repalcing wheel bearings.
My question is: do any of you guys work on mowers for home owners? I have had several inquiries about working on some JD mowers. How do you charge and what do you charge. Now obviously I know how to charge for parts but what about shop time - how much an hour? I am thinking that $40 an hour is about right.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
I am not a Mechanic either but I charge $45.00 hour plus parts.
Going rate at the local repair shops is $60.00 to $80.00 hour + parts
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,038
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Just a little while back, there was a member on here who started offering more and more mower repair services and had a mobile unit to run it from.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 PM
B-2 Lawncare B-2 Lawncare is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0
B-2 Lawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Just a little while back, there was a member on here who started offering more and more mower repair services and had a mobile unit to run it from.
Wow thats great he must plan on trageting an affluent area. I would think that referals and a clean truck with awesome graphics would be some of the keys to sucess with a mobile shop like that. I am picturing a truck much like a uhaul with a lift gate and some kick *** graphics on it. How's that saying go? you have to keep up with the Jones's? I could see a day where he would pull up and go from one neighbor to the next.
One of the biggest hurdles that I am looking at is what to do with all the used oil? Right now there is a once a year collection for used oil here. Otherwise I have to take it to the dump. I think that they burn it there. I would love to recycle the oil but there is no place around here to.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,038
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Could you use it in the winter time and burn it to heat your home/shop?

If you do a search on recycled oil burners, you will find a lot of options. If it gets cold in your area, this may be a way to go.

Here is an interesting site, if you are feeling creative with your metal fabricating. http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners03.html
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 AM
calvinslawnservice calvinslawnservice is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 7
calvinslawnservice is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2 Lawncare View Post
Wow thats great he must plan on trageting an affluent area. I would think that referals and a clean truck with awesome graphics would be some of the keys to sucess with a mobile shop like that. I am picturing a truck much like a uhaul with a lift gate and some kick *** graphics on it. How's that saying go? you have to keep up with the Jones's? I could see a day where he would pull up and go from one neighbor to the next.
One of the biggest hurdles that I am looking at is what to do with all the used oil? Right now there is a once a year collection for used oil here. Otherwise I have to take it to the dump. I think that they burn it there. I would love to recycle the oil but there is no place around here to.
You can take it to an auto zone or any parts store or even a wal mart with the tire center I think. But auto zone for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 AM
B-2 Lawncare B-2 Lawncare is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0
B-2 Lawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinslawnservice View Post
You can take it to an auto zone or any parts store or even a wal mart with the tire center I think. But auto zone for sure.
I would love to take it to a place like auto zone, but the closet is about 35 miles away wich at this point its not cost effective. When I was a kid we use to take the all the oil from the previous years oil changes on all the tractors and dump it on the county road. This was and i think is still leagal. But we no longer do that on the farm, the John deere dealer takes it. I am sure that you guys are like there is your answer,but i live on the other end of the state form the farm.
Not to worried about that right now, I am just trying to stay on top of my mowing. the boys and I worked 12 hrs yesterday trying to make up some time.
At this point i would just love to get every body on there regular schedule, Hell I would just like to mow all my clients in the same week. Yesterday I went to mow one of my larger properties, I have not been on in over a week. The grass was about eight inches high. To cut a long story short we mow 3 acres three times.
I also have a large landscaping job at a stand still because Of the unusually high amount of rain that we have had. All part of the job and loving it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 6
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2 Lawncare View Post
I would love to take it to a place like auto zone, but the closet is about 35 miles away wich at this point its not cost effective. When I was a kid we use to take the all the oil from the previous years oil changes on all the tractors and dump it on the county road. This was and i think is still leagal. But we no longer do that on the farm, the John deere dealer takes it. I am sure that you guys are like there is your answer,but i live on the other end of the state form the farm.
Not to worried about that right now, I am just trying to stay on top of my mowing. the boys and I worked 12 hrs yesterday trying to make up some time.
At this point i would just love to get every body on there regular schedule, Hell I would just like to mow all my clients in the same week. Yesterday I went to mow one of my larger properties, I have not been on in over a week. The grass was about eight inches high. To cut a long story short we mow 3 acres three times.
I also have a large landscaping job at a stand still because Of the unusually high amount of rain that we have had. All part of the job and loving it.

I did not think you could use oil on the roads anyplace in american anymore. the laws have changed a lot in the last few years do you realise it is against the law to adjust a carburetor if you have never been to school on it. or to change the fuel line with non carb compliant fuel line. depending on what state you live in these are 5 year jail terms and 10,000 in fines. The really bad thing is your neighbor can turn you in and keep part of the fine.

remember how easy people think it is to mow yards and how much redtape you have to do to get a legit business it is just the same for a mechanic it is not as easy as it looks from the outside. I encourage working on your own stuff but as for doing it for money your opening yourself up for liability issues.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 PM
B-2 Lawncare B-2 Lawncare is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0
B-2 Lawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandfsmall View Post
I did not think you could use oil on the roads anyplace in american anymore. the laws have changed a lot in the last few years do you realise it is against the law to adjust a carburetor if you have never been to school on it. or to change the fuel line with non carb compliant fuel line. depending on what state you live in these are 5 year jail terms and 10,000 in fines. The really bad thing is your neighbor can turn you in and keep part of the fine.

remember how easy people think it is to mow yards and how much redtape you have to do to get a legit business it is just the same for a mechanic it is not as easy as it looks from the outside. I encourage working on your own stuff but as for doing it for money your opening yourself up for liability issues.
Man I dont know where you are at. But I live in Wyoming, thank gosh.
Where commonsence still rules and.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 PM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 6
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2 Lawncare View Post
Man I dont know where you are at. But I live in Wyoming, thank gosh.
Where commonsence still rules and.
I am in the united states this is national epa rules. take a look at this brochure. The full details are hard to explain but the gist of it is if you put the wrong fuel line or fuel cap for that engine or adjust the carburetor without a tach you could be subject to a $10,000 fine and or 5 years in jail. I am just trying to make sure you are informed.

here is a link so you can find more info. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/equip-ld.htm#regs
Attached Files
File Type: pdf f98025a.pdf (57.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by wandfsmall; 05-28-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: add link to epa site
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello fellow mowers. QUESTIONS FOR YOU GUYS PETER34209 Introduce Yourself 1 04-21-2011 11:01 PM
Should I repair other people's lawn mowers? lawn mowering Community Assistance 4 03-03-2010 03:17 PM
Bad boy mowers rawssrob Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 1 02-18-2010 11:44 AM
How do I charge for tractor work land clearing type of work Dansgtlc Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 4 10-26-2009 01:28 PM
What Mowers Do You Have? CHEESE2009 Community Assistance 5 08-06-2009 09:31 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Review of our lawn care...
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
Today 10:58 AM
by Lawnline
6 1,785
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 07:43 PM
Yesterday 12:55 PM
by Steve
19 2,117
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
Yesterday 07:16 AM
by Chilehead
6 271
Looking for new host
Just for Cuts
11-26-2015 06:58 AM
08-24-2016 09:05 PM
by Stephen Alberts
10 1,893
Facebook advertising
Just for Cuts
12-13-2015 07:49 AM
08-24-2016 08:59 PM
by Stephen Alberts
14 13,068
Landscaper taking on odd...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 06:57 PM
08-24-2016 10:27 AM
by Steve
6 484
Breaking into commercial...
SGL1
08-19-2016 07:02 AM
08-24-2016 10:12 AM
by mowandblow1980
7 288
Snow Plow
acrajchel
08-17-2016 10:21 AM
08-22-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
5 271
Quarter Acre Woodland...
ew411
08-16-2016 06:50 AM
08-18-2016 12:25 PM
by Steve
4 260
Bidding Bushhogging
acrajchel
08-15-2016 11:52 AM
08-17-2016 05:32 PM
by acrajchel
4 254
Hello From the Florida...
KevinShuman
08-15-2016 08:57 PM
08-16-2016 01:52 PM
by SC93
2 250
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
08-16-2016 12:42 AM
by SC93
5 539
A quick Intro
BLE
08-14-2016 05:17 PM
08-15-2016 10:54 AM
by acrajchel
2 249
New Customer - Gettting...
acrajchel
08-05-2016 05:00 PM
08-15-2016 10:52 AM
by acrajchel
4 511
helping out a friend set...
Doug D
08-13-2016 11:33 AM
08-15-2016 09:45 AM
by Steve
1 260
Small bed job
Bradcook21
08-09-2016 09:52 PM
08-10-2016 03:51 PM
by Steve
1 379
Hello from NoVa
jtwlawn
08-03-2016 11:20 AM
08-09-2016 10:45 AM
by jtwlawn
4 510
How much to charge for...
jymie
03-31-2013 05:59 PM
08-08-2016 04:33 PM
by Steve
27 6,629
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
08-07-2016 10:21 AM
by Just for Cuts
18 19,784
New Site Hows it look
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 10:32 AM
08-07-2016 08:37 AM
by Lawnline
8 11,259
Hey guys! Greetings from...
thegardener
08-05-2016 05:45 AM
08-05-2016 03:26 PM
by Steve
1 421
First Time Bidding-Need...
capitallawncrew
08-01-2016 08:30 AM
08-03-2016 09:52 AM
by Steve
3 555
Show us your stripes
Just for Cuts
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
08-01-2016 08:28 PM
by ExclusiveLawns
7 3,777
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
07-31-2016 10:36 AM
by joshp
13 5,924
» Popular Tags
apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding break business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy