Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.

Too much work?


Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 PM
SouthallMowing SouthallMowing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 122
Rep Power: 4
SouthallMowing is on a distinguished road
Default Too much work?

Okay, lets clear this outta the way.
I'm 17.
In High School.
And I have a lawn care business.

Now, I have 10 properties that I mow. 4 Wednesday, 5 Thursday. I am keeping Monday and Tuesday free, that way I can still be a teen. However, for summer I already have another 5 people on my waiting list. This will be another 2.5 hours (about) added to my schedule. However, in the summer, I have all day to go at it. It takes about 8 hours to complete the 10 I have now, without rushing. Should I take some more lawns, or what? I don't wanna get behind then get my name turned into mud with everyone.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
You could.

Or you could leave some work for those of us who are trying to make house payments and put food on the table.







Do what works for you. If I didn't need to do this to survive, I wouldn't bust my a$$ just to make a couple more people happy - especially if it will have a negative impact on your current clients.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

This is a very interesting scenario. I don't think we've addressed this yet?

How does a person run a successful company while being successful in school?

You can't drop out, and I wouldn't advise it. Though, if your business is getting a lot of calls - you have to sacrifice your education or the growth of the business.

The only way to avoid losing anything at all, would be for you to take advantage of this summer to really build your business, so that you can hire someone to manage it while you are at school the following year.
The truth is, it's easier said than done!

As a teenager, this is the only time I would recommend a partnership - you and a friend will both have the drive to grow the business (hopefully).
You can then schedule who works during different weeks, etc.



Partnership Terms
We found a solution, but we now face a different question, "TRUST".

"How can you make sure that this person doesn't run off with your customers?"

The answer is simple;

Your tasks: Office, collection of payments, minor lawn work. 40% Income

Your friends tasks: Lawn work. 60% Income


*Payments are to only be collected by you, make sure your customers are aware of this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:54 AM
SouthallMowing SouthallMowing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 122
Rep Power: 4
SouthallMowing is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE2009 View Post
This is a very interesting scenario. I don't think we've addressed this yet?

How does a person run a successful company while being successful in school?

You can't drop out, and I wouldn't advise it. Though, if your business is getting a lot of calls - you have to sacrifice your education or the growth of the business.

The only way to avoid losing anything at all, would be for you to take advantage of this summer to really build your business, so that you can hire someone to manage it while you are at school the following year.
The truth is, it's easier said than done!

As a teenager, this is the only time I would recommend a partnership - you and a friend will both have the drive to grow the business (hopefully).
You can then schedule who works during different weeks, etc.



Partnership Terms
We found a solution, but we now face a different question, "TRUST".

"How can you make sure that this person doesn't run off with your customers?"

The answer is simple;

Your tasks: Office, collection of payments, minor lawn work. 40% Income

Your friends tasks: Lawn work. 60% Income


*Payments are to only be collected by you, make sure your customers are aware of this.
You are the man. One of my friends has his own little lawn care business, but he does it as "the neighborhood boy." and I'm going to be gone two weeks out of June and I've "contracted" him out for them. $200 a week. He just about died when he heard that, cause he's used to making about $30 a week. However, he's been wanting to help me out for some extra cash, but I can take care of all calls, desk work, etc. It's the mowing and stuff I need help with. One of my teachers who has a really good lawn care business in Circleville is giving me a trimmer rack. that way I can go get a second trimmer. But I have a 5x10 trailer, so a second zero-turn is out of the question. But I'm probably going to buy another push mower if my friend can help me this summer. I have no business experience. but, what percentage of the income should go where?
Maintenance (Repairs, Gas etc.)
John (Me)
Brock (My friend)

What percentage of the income should go where?

Muchas Gracias.
-John
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthallMowing View Post
Maintenance (Repairs, Gas etc.)
John (Me)
Brock (My friend)

What percentage of the income should go where?

Muchas Gracias.
-John


Well, we need to cover several things;

The Business
Your business is your bank, it holds all the money for repairs, materials, products - and it pays it's staff.

Your business is first priority over anything. When you receive a payment, it goes directly towards your business.


Your Staff
Your staff is your second priority, but should also be thought of as your first priority. You always want to make sure that your staff is paid for their work.

The Owner
As the owner, it's your plan to have staff to manage your business while you take care of other tasks or until you don't have to work at all!


There are a few scenarios you should look into;

1. Example;
In this scenario, it may become difficult to pay your staff
The Business: 50%
Your Staff: 25%
The Owner: 25%

2. Example;
In this scenario, you have a risk of not being able to afford repairs, buy materials/products.
The business: 25%
Your Staff: 50%
The Owner: 25%

3. Example;
In this scenario, the owner doesn't receive a lot - though the business and it's staff are covered! The more your business grows, the more money you'll eventually be able to make - and you still don't have to work as hard!
The business: 40%
Your Staff: 50%
The Owner: 10%



As a small business, I would try Example # 2 - your expenses aren't very high and your business should be able to cover repairs, materials/products etc.

The safest scenario would be Example #3. Though I would only go this route if your staff is serious and capable to manage the work properly on his own. If you find yourself doing most of the work, this example can backfire.



As an owner, the plan is to also find a "foreman".
"noun: a person who exercises control over workers"
You are the president, your foreman is the general who controls the army of the company.
You want someone who can control enough of your business, without giving them the power to steal it from you. Payments should be given directly to you, and checks should be written to your name only.

This does not stop your friend from starting his own business and stealing your customers. Usually you'd make a contract where if he/she attempts to start a business of their own, they will not be able to advertise anywhere near your customers for a certain amount of time (or something like that). Getting them to sign the contract upon hiring them is a smart move.

Even if you aren't registered, make this contract and have your friend sign it. He wont know the difference.




I hope that I have been helpful! I also hope that your friend does good work and doesn't bother you for help all the time. He's your "foreman in training" and he makes a lot of money out of your business - he has to work for it!

Last edited by CHEESE2009; 04-30-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 PM
jklawncare's Avatar
jklawncare jklawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 577
Rep Power: 5
jklawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Im 17 and in Highschool too
i mow 3 days out of the week
and take care of 22 houses right now
adding on until i hit 25
then when summer comes i may bump up to 30

it all depends on how much you want to be making and how much of your time you are willing to dedicate to your clients
__________________
Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
"Where Service is Always in Season"
Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 PM
SouthallMowing SouthallMowing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 122
Rep Power: 4
SouthallMowing is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE2009 View Post
Well, we need to cover several things;

The Business
Your business is your bank, it holds all the money for repairs, materials, products - and it pays it's staff.

Your business is first priority over anything. When you receive a payment, it goes directly towards your business.


Your Staff
Your staff is your second priority, but should also be thought of as your first priority. You always want to make sure that your staff is paid for their work.

The Owner
As the owner, it's your plan to have staff to manage your business while you take care of other tasks or until you don't have to work at all!


There are a few scenarios you should look into;

1. Example;
In this scenario, it may become difficult to pay your staff
The Business: 50%
Your Staff: 25%
The Owner: 25%

2. Example;
In this scenario, you have a risk of not being able to afford repairs, buy materials/products.
The business: 25%
Your Staff: 50%
The Owner: 25%

3. Example;
In this scenario, the owner doesn't receive a lot - though the business and it's staff are covered! The more your business grows, the more money you'll eventually be able to make - and you still don't have to work as hard!
The business: 40%
Your Staff: 50%
The Owner: 10%



As a small business, I would try Example # 2 - your expenses aren't very high and your business should be able to cover repairs, materials/products etc.

The safest scenario would be Example #3. Though I would only go this route if your staff is serious and capable to manage the work properly on his own. If you find yourself doing most of the work, this example can backfire.



As an owner, the plan is to also find a "foreman".
"noun: a person who exercises control over workers"
You are the president, your foreman is the general who controls the army of the company.
You want someone who can control enough of your business, without giving them the power to steal it from you. Payments should be given directly to you, and checks should be written to your name only.

This does not stop your friend from starting his own business and stealing your customers. Usually you'd make a contract where if he/she attempts to start a business of their own, they will not be able to advertise anywhere near your customers for a certain amount of time (or something like that). Getting them to sign the contract upon hiring them is a smart move.

Even if you aren't registered, make this contract and have your friend sign it. He wont know the difference.




I hope that I have been helpful! I also hope that your friend does good work and doesn't bother you for help all the time. He's your "foreman in training" and he makes a lot of money out of your business - he has to work for it!
I'll take a look at those. See which would fit the best. However, I wanna be out doing the work. Not sitting doing nothing. So, the owner thing would go into the business part. But those helped.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 PM
SouthallMowing SouthallMowing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 122
Rep Power: 4
SouthallMowing is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklawncare View Post
Im 17 and in Highschool too
i mow 3 days out of the week
and take care of 22 houses right now
adding on until i hit 25
then when summer comes i may bump up to 30

it all depends on how much you want to be making and how much of your time you are willing to dedicate to your clients
I dedicate any time needed to do the job right. Here's my dilemma, I can only have the truck and trailer on thursdays, so I have to get business in my neighborhood. Which isn't too hard, I'd just have to make a lower bid on houses than I'd want to.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
jklawncare's Avatar
jklawncare jklawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 577
Rep Power: 5
jklawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthallMowing View Post
I dedicate any time needed to do the job right. Here's my dilemma, I can only have the truck and trailer on thursdays, so I have to get business in my neighborhood. Which isn't too hard, I'd just have to make a lower bid on houses than I'd want to.
Why are you cutting your bids short?
__________________
Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
"Where Service is Always in Season"
Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM
brian'slawncare brian'slawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 380
Rep Power: 5
brian'slawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm 13
In Middle School
Take care of 10 lawns
Mow 3-4 days a week after school.

The way I do it:

I underbid all the professionals
but heck I have waaaay less expenses.
No transportation costs
No taxes / fees
I only mow in MY neighborhood. I simply ride to each lawn with my trimmer and blower on the deck of my mower and me on the sulky. (I get a lot of looks going down the street on a lawn mower, trust me!) (yesterday 3 cops saw me riding around on it and didn't look very happy because there is nothing they can do to me)

I take on a lot more lawns in the summer because there is more time.

I have CONSIDERED hiring a neighbor to help trim and stuff but backed away when I saw how much my profit would go down

I agree with scott. Example 3 sounds best for you
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
work that i have done calebmoss Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 15 01-31-2011 01:37 PM
Why It Doesn't Work? CHEESE2009 Community Assistance 8 10-28-2010 04:45 PM
How do I charge for tractor work land clearing type of work Dansgtlc Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 4 10-26-2009 01:28 PM
Would this work? Steve Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions. 13 04-21-2006 10:36 PM
Won't work on my PC. bcflawnlandscape Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 01-18-2006 01:26 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 01:41 PM
Today 10:35 PM
by SGL1
6 183
raking leaves ?
robert8509
Today 09:19 PM
Today 09:19 PM
by robert8509
0 21
hey everyone
robert8509
Today 08:16 PM
Today 08:16 PM
by robert8509
0 26
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
Yesterday 06:20 AM
Today 06:51 PM
by Matther777
4 170
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
Today 04:49 PM
by WesleySnips
3 275
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
Today 01:47 PM
by The Hunter
3 427
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Today 01:33 PM
by Steve
9 738
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
Today 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 364
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
Today 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 334
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 01:59 PM
Today 01:19 PM
by Steve
1 111
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
Today 01:17 PM
by Steve
9 276
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Today 08:51 AM
by ringahding1
12 1,473
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
Today 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,296
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
Yesterday 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 619
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
Yesterday 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 468
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,327
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
Yesterday 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 229
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,776
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,284
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 196
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 268
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 711
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,157
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 450
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 288
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 634
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 932
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,289
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 663
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 340,084
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 379
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,475
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,493
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,575
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 516
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 678
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 517
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 866
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,499
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 827
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,640
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 1,054
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 959
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 602
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 589
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,125
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
10-09-2014 04:19 PM
by Just for Cuts
25 3,001
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
10-09-2014 02:21 PM
by Steve
25 3,638
Changing Scag Freedom Z...
maggiedavidson
10-06-2014 12:24 PM
10-08-2014 06:34 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 842
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 02:45 PM
10-07-2014 04:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 820
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment complex article marketing bark bid blades bob villa charge collections collections subcontractor commercial decorating demonstration ditches edging employee problems estimate exmark ferris first truck gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes honda how much to charge hydraulic installation introduction landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website marketing mechanic monthly mr dave mulch mulch price new mower past due patio install podcast promotion reo running a business scag scag v-ride search engine optimization seo shell small engine repair snow starting a business start up lawn care business steep lawns steve stihl theft of services toro tree truck new used landscape turfgrass consulting walker won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy