Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Officially Official!


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default Officially Official!

After having a hard time with my county getting the correct license to operate a Landscaping Business, i finally got it. That was the last piece i needed to complete the puzzle and finally be able to call myself a licensed contractor. I have 25 properties as of this afternoon that i added to my list of 3 i had last summer and more are knocking at my door. Cant wait to finally relax and just cut grass without any stress of the paperwork and all the other BS i had to go through. Happy Cutting

Dan
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Hey. I'm a recently "legitimized" business owner myself, so I know what you are talking about.

Folks, how about a little love for another guy who isn't out to lowball everyone out of work?



Your hard work and effort to do it the right way is to be applauded.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 AM
elrascal's Avatar
elrascal elrascal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 5
elrascal is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClassLandscaping View Post
After having a hard time with my county getting the correct license to operate a Landscaping Business, i finally got it. That was the last piece i needed to complete the puzzle and finally be able to call myself a licensed contractor. I have 25 properties as of this afternoon that i added to my list of 3 i had last summer and more are knocking at my door. Cant wait to finally relax and just cut grass without any stress of the paperwork and all the other BS i had to go through. Happy Cutting

Dan
Great Stuff Dan. Do you mind sharing with usas to how you got your 25 clients?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Hedgemaster- Thanks i have a big problem in my town with illegals lowballing and not having a legit business and it gets really annoying when a customer says no to my bid and yes to theirs bc its cheaper.

elrascal- Basically its mostly word of mouth and talking to people that i know...i did get maybe 3 or 4 on advertisment but the other 20 were from word of mouth which works very well for me bc if you do a good job on someones property then they will refer you to everyone that they know and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,343
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

What do you think caused the big problem with the county as far as finding what license you needed?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What do you think caused the big problem with the county as far as finding what license you needed?
It not as much of finding out what lisense i needed rather than the rules and regs that are in place to have one. In my county you cant cut your neighbors lawn even if your doing it for free. You need to own the property that you maintain to not get in any kind of trouble. The big thing inmy county is Consumer Protection, which i agree with 100% and have no problem with. But i didnt have my license yet and advertised to see what i would get before i started and got a summons because i was soliciting work without a license which in my county is illegal, to advertise, work, or estimate any property without a license. So i got caught and had to show up to a formal hearing and the first offense is $1000. But a statute in the laws for the county state that a full time student under the age of 22 doesnt need a license which i dont agree with at all...even though it saved me $1000 dollars and my summons got dismissed. But my point here is if the county is all about Consumer Protection then why let a student joe blow who just wants to try and make cash for the summer not have to pay for the license which is $300 every 2 years and just let them go out uninsured and uneducated in the business at all. The rules are rediculous and need to be changed in my opionion.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 5
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClassLandscaping View Post
But a statute in the laws for the county state that a full time student under the age of 22 doesnt need a license which i dont agree with at all...even though it saved me $1000 dollars and my summons got dismissed. But my point here is if the county is all about Consumer Protection then why let a student joe blow who just wants to try and make cash for the summer not have to pay for the license which is $300 every 2 years and just let them go out uninsured and uneducated in the business at all. The rules are rediculous and need to be changed in my opionion.

I really have to disagree with you here, a student that has the time to cut the lawn around your neighborhood for the summer is actually doing more for his community then us...
Yes we might know the business, know more about the type of grasses and their needs, we know how to improve a landscape but how do you think a 20 year old student that lives on his own can make a living with nothing but loans? they either ask for free money from the Gov or have the Gov reduce the penalties for him to be able to live or survive and yet he is being productive without saturating the system. He is also probably charging his neighbors less to do something they would pay 20-30% more for this helps the community since there is more money to do other things with. You and I can survive with all the advertising, the student only helps out his community, you and I can spread out throughout the city, the student is community based.

Glad to hear you went through the whole process the way we all have done it, hope this season is good for you and hope that there are no more illegals taking your bids

Good mowing
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzgardening View Post
I really have to disagree with you here, a student that has the time to cut the lawn around your neighborhood for the summer is actually doing more for his community then us...
Yes we might know the business, know more about the type of grasses and their needs, we know how to improve a landscape but how do you think a 20 year old student that lives on his own can make a living with nothing but loans? they either ask for free money from the Gov or have the Gov reduce the penalties for him to be able to live or survive and yet he is being productive without saturating the system. He is also probably charging his neighbors less to do something they would pay 20-30% more for this helps the community since there is more money to do other things with. You and I can survive with all the advertising, the student only helps out his community, you and I can spread out throughout the city, the student is community based.

Glad to hear you went through the whole process the way we all have done it, hope this season is good for you and hope that there are no more illegals taking your bids

Good mowing
Im not saying that they wont help the community...im a full time college student as well and is a good thing to not make a college student with lots of loans to pay...But if my county praises all about consumer protection and think that is the most important thing when operating a company, then why let the kid with no license and consumer protection of any type by not having any insurance go cut lawns for people in his community and risk not helping it. My feeling is why go out their to try and help if you risk making a big problem by not being Protected, which is why they should need the license.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 5
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClassLandscaping View Post
Im not saying that they wont help the community...im a full time college student as well and is a good thing to not make a college student with lots of loans to pay...But if my county praises all about consumer protection and think that is the most important thing when operating a company, then why let the kid with no license and consumer protection of any type by not having any insurance go cut lawns for people in his community and risk not helping it. My feeling is why go out their to try and help if you risk making a big problem by not being Protected, which is why they should need the license.
ahh now i understand your point. Would it be easier to have some type of permit for the college students since they wont make it a career instead of having them get a full on license?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 AM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzgardening View Post
ahh now i understand your point. Would it be easier to have some type of permit for the college students since they wont make it a career instead of having them get a full on license?
Oh yes that would help lots due to the fact that everytime you get caught you need to goto the county office of consumer protection to get it dismissed. So proof of not needing a license and saying your a college student wuould make it way easier.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
its official Golftrick17 Introduce Yourself 9 02-05-2011 05:42 AM
Need help becoming official racerdude711 Starting a lawn care business. 5 09-28-2010 07:26 PM
I Officially HATE Chevy jklawncare General Talk 10 04-24-2010 02:51 PM
It's Official Now rclandscaping Starting a lawn care business. 6 03-05-2009 06:29 PM
It's official Sarah is running her Toy Drive! Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 8 11-29-2007 01:50 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Great start to the season
jcurr33
Yesterday 08:49 PM
Today 04:44 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 34
What a JERK!
Chilehead
05-06-2015 08:13 AM
Yesterday 11:15 PM
by luckylogger
12 665
I can't believe people...
ExtremeLawncareServices
Yesterday 10:29 AM
Yesterday 04:05 PM
by jrs.landscaping
1 84
More Rain or Less?
Steve
05-20-2015 12:06 PM
05-24-2015 04:37 PM
by SGL1
12 245
uploading video on here?
holymoly
05-24-2015 08:13 AM
05-24-2015 10:26 AM
by Matther777
1 52
new here ! need help
pgrace
05-23-2015 11:29 PM
05-23-2015 11:29 PM
by pgrace
0 56
Equipment dealers
mattthelawnguy
05-21-2015 04:33 PM
05-23-2015 10:24 PM
by Chilehead
3 103
Irrigation
pboy8634
02-21-2010 12:46 PM
05-22-2015 10:05 PM
by biglee
25 8,431
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 11:45 AM
05-22-2015 09:58 PM
by biglee
37 9,136
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 11:54 AM
05-21-2015 11:23 PM
by biglee
13 347
Peace garden ideas
SGL1
05-13-2015 03:15 PM
05-21-2015 07:51 PM
by avetslawncare
16 495
Show us your stripes
Just for Cuts
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
by Just for Cuts
0 87
problems with a customer
LawnCareMan280
05-19-2015 06:28 PM
05-21-2015 02:58 PM
by Just for Cuts
4 166
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
05-20-2015 09:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
84 6,807
Total yard rehab
SGL1
04-23-2015 03:59 PM
05-19-2015 08:22 PM
by SGL1
15 802
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
05-19-2015 04:12 PM
by NinaMarie86
1,223 389,678
New Lawn Service
carmelitaslawnservice
05-19-2015 10:02 AM
05-19-2015 02:51 PM
by Steve
1 108
Landscaper Jailed After...
SGL1
05-18-2015 08:15 AM
05-19-2015 02:37 PM
by Steve
5 208
Pictures of commercial...
avetslawncare
04-01-2015 09:47 PM
05-19-2015 02:29 PM
by Steve
38 2,003
feeling like im being...
Bradcook21
05-17-2015 07:33 AM
05-19-2015 02:11 PM
by Steve
6 218
good news yesterday
Bradcook21
05-17-2015 07:08 AM
05-19-2015 06:16 AM
by Bradcook21
3 151
ignition coil
jasonw
05-12-2015 05:31 PM
05-18-2015 12:07 PM
by Steve
3 266
Anyone need help? I have...
biglee
05-06-2015 12:22 PM
05-18-2015 12:06 PM
by Steve
13 695
Big (to me) mulch job
tl757
04-23-2015 05:32 PM
05-15-2015 08:46 PM
by biglee
22 1,493
big dog mowers?
Bradcook21
05-13-2015 04:03 PM
05-14-2015 10:55 AM
by Steve
4 293
Small HOA Bid
lxarth
05-06-2015 10:37 PM
05-13-2015 11:55 AM
by Steve
9 514
New company in Michigan
SEM
04-24-2015 09:27 PM
05-13-2015 11:51 AM
by Steve
11 645
Fired for refusing to...
Mr. Mow
05-09-2015 06:15 AM
05-12-2015 01:36 PM
by Steve
6 509
I have ZERO confidence...
Just for Cuts
05-01-2015 04:24 PM
05-12-2015 03:53 AM
by jrs.landscaping
31 1,102
landscape insurance
clarkslawn
03-30-2015 10:14 PM
05-11-2015 01:15 PM
by Steve
6 1,029
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
05-10-2015 07:50 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 1,060
Bought my first STIHL...
Mr. Mow
05-09-2015 06:29 AM
05-10-2015 08:36 AM
by Mr. Mow
9 419
advice wanted please and...
CHenricks
05-07-2015 08:40 PM
05-08-2015 04:20 PM
by CHenricks
7 434
Hello
SallyBorowicz
05-06-2015 11:14 AM
05-08-2015 02:21 PM
by Steve
3 347
Mower Advice
tl757
05-06-2015 02:31 PM
05-08-2015 01:45 PM
by Steve
6 470
Home today...Still...
biglee
05-06-2015 11:59 AM
05-07-2015 12:06 PM
by biglee
2 350
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 12:41 AM
05-07-2015 11:17 AM
by Steve
79 3,983
color fliers?
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:32 PM
05-07-2015 10:57 AM
by Steve
16 1,037
Looking good
mrsmichigan
05-06-2015 09:47 AM
05-07-2015 10:53 AM
by Steve
1 296
What are your biggest...
Steve
05-05-2015 01:24 PM
05-07-2015 10:52 AM
by Steve
2 342
is craiglist good to...
JBENI
04-16-2015 11:11 AM
05-06-2015 07:15 PM
by TheYardGuy
12 1,122
Go daddy web site and...
jcurr33
05-04-2015 06:00 PM
05-05-2015 11:57 AM
by Steve
2 374
How busy are you now?
Steve
05-04-2015 01:10 PM
05-05-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
4 409
mowfinder
scaypa
04-27-2015 05:44 PM
05-04-2015 01:14 PM
by Steve
1 436
Latest video, Facebook...
Sprinkler Buddy
05-01-2015 06:54 AM
05-04-2015 01:09 PM
by Steve
3 403
weed
avetslawncare
04-16-2015 07:56 PM
05-01-2015 11:38 AM
by Steve
8 821
so i need somehelp with...
dalvan0
04-28-2015 07:43 PM
04-30-2015 10:55 PM
by avetslawncare
3 718
Anyone have a Lawn Care...
nishirandall
04-28-2015 08:45 PM
04-30-2015 12:00 AM
by Steve
1 480
mowing pic
joshlawncare
04-25-2015 12:34 PM
04-29-2015 10:55 PM
by Steve
5 583
Help with a truck
bdodson89
04-27-2015 08:15 PM
04-29-2015 10:47 PM
by Steve
4 480
» Popular Tags
aerocore apartment bid apartment complex apartment lawn care estimate applying auger billy goat brushcutter blades blowout bush contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts ditches door hangers employee problems equipment rental estimate facebook flyers foreman free advertising google growing a lawn care business hiring how to husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac landscape landscape services landscaping training lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan managing a lawn care business marketing more customers business mr dave mulch new business per hour service pricing pto push versus ride running a business scag sell the vision shell small engine repair snow plowing square foot starting a lawn care business steep lawns swzt theft toro toro grand stand tractor auger trailer trailer mate pro tree trimmer rack up sell employee web design website website design winterization wood www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy