Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

its bad if you need to carry a pistol


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 PM
boog boog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 71
Rep Power: 4
boog is on a distinguished road
Default its bad if you need to carry a pistol

i never thought i would have to carry a gun with me to go mow a dam yard last weekend i was mowing one of my commercial clients
' i have to wait till there closed so there are no cars in the parking lot" i was weed eating the opposite side of the lot from where my truck was parked two guys roll up and park just inches from my trailer and equipment so " i guess they was going to try to steal something " i walk over ask them if they need something they say no one guy got out & walked around building the other guy stayed in the truck they sat there for a good 10 15 min. so i called my wife she brought my 9mm no sooner then she got there the guys left



so today i was mowing my moms property that she rents the land lord came threw on his mower and started mowing over top of what i have cut and the ajoining properties then the fat *** got his mower stuck rite beside my truck i sat there and laughed at him he got it unstuck then wanted to cuss me out for not mowing the same bank he just stuck so i told him to stick his mower up his *** "hes a big burly biker wannabe " he told me that he was going to charge my mom $50 cause he had to mow the bank that is all red clay rocks and some weeds i was hoping he was going to come off that mower at me i had some thing waiting on him has any one else had any problems like this or is it just my luck
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 PM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 4
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by boog View Post
i never thought i would have to carry a gun with me to go mow a dam yard last weekend i was mowing one of my commercial clients
' i have to wait till there closed so there are no cars in the parking lot" i was weed eating the opposite side of the lot from where my truck was parked two guys roll up and park just inches from my trailer and equipment so " i guess they was going to try to steal something " i walk over ask them if they need something they say no one guy got out & walked around building the other guy stayed in the truck they sat there for a good 10 15 min. so i called my wife she brought my 9mm no sooner then she got there the guys left
this guys were surely up to no good you should of gotten their plates, i wouldn't want to kill anyone just because they are trying to steal from me i mean i eat from my tools but if they steal from me i just call the cops they take them in and they get the blame i just wouldn't shoot anyone for my tools :P to each its own i guess haha



Quote:
Originally Posted by boog View Post
so today i was mowing my moms property that she rents the land lord came threw on his mower and started mowing over top of what i have cut and the ajoining properties then the fat *** got his mower stuck rite beside my truck i sat there and laughed at him he got it unstuck then wanted to cuss me out for not mowing the same bank he just stuck so i told him to stick his mower up his *** "hes a big burly biker wannabe " he told me that he was going to charge my mom $50 cause he had to mow the bank that is all red clay rocks and some weeds i was hoping he was going to come off that mower at me i had some thing waiting on him has any one else had any problems like this or is it just my luck
i would of done the same thing if i have an agreement with someone i would totally mow on top of what the other guy did jsut to keep my contract unless your mom called the guy... or maybe im misunderstanding it

i had an incident just recently, a junk collector tried to take my weed eater i laughed it off and told him i would call the police on his *** the next time, with a friendly tone, if he came around this property again havent seen him since then haha
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,771
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Is the area a bad area or was it just looking like they were being opportunistic?

Is there a way you can set up a security camera in your truck when you are parked?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Desert Rose Gardening Desert Rose Gardening is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jacumba California
Age: 53
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Desert Rose Gardening is on a distinguished road
Default

I keep pepper spray in my truck, never used it, its mainly for dogs or freaks at stop lights.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 PM
MountainViewGreenskeeper's Avatar
MountainViewGreenskeeper MountainViewGreenskeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 473
Rep Power: 5
MountainViewGreenskeeper is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzgardening View Post
this guys were surely up to no good you should of gotten their plates, i wouldn't want to kill anyone just because they are trying to steal from me i mean i eat from my tools but if they steal from me i just call the cops they take them in and they get the blame i just wouldn't shoot anyone for my tools :P to each its own i guess haha
Ya.... Im all for the authorities doing there job. But I would for sure have done the same as boog. Is it worth getting killed over no but I'm going to protect my property and my family in any way I see fit, even if that means shooting someone.

With that said I dont own a pistol yet. But I have a 12 gauge and a dear slug with anyones name on it.
__________________
Colton
Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Tom53 Tom53 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northwest Iowa
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 0
Tom53 is on a distinguished road
Default

If you dont have a weapons permit but feel the need to have some kind of protection there is always pepper spray. Don't forget to check your local and state laws about carrying it though... and its maximum effective range is a measly 10 feet or less. I have been pepper sprayed, maced, and tear gassed more times than I can count, and it isn't always that effective anyway. Anymore it just stings a little and a quick flush of the eyes and I am good to go.

Disclaimer on my next statement > I do NOT condone or recommend the use of canned aerosol WASP spray whose effective range can be up to 20 feet or more. It can cause extreme pain and blindness if mis-used.

I do have my 20 year old daughter carry a can of it with her in the event she ever has trouble with any "wasps". If she runs into any "wasps" I tell her not to worry about any consequences as she is just protecting herself from the pesky bastards! And I hope you understand my meaning, she does! Hair spray and a lighter can also frighten them too. She has been advised to swear that a wasp was causing problems and she was reducing the personal threat, any consequence to bystanders were coincidental, and this is her story, and she will stick to it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,771
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Another thing I was thinking of, would a panic alarm on your truck help drive off someone looking to cause problems?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 4
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainViewGreenskeeper View Post
Ya.... Im all for the authorities doing there job. But I would for sure have done the same as boog. Is it worth getting killed over no but I'm going to protect my property and my family in any way I see fit, even if that means shooting someone.

With that said I dont own a pistol yet. But I have a 12 gauge and a dear slug with anyones name on it.
if it does come to extremes i would do the same IN MY OWN PROPERTY but if its at a work site let them steal what they want i have insurance that will cover my loses and the authorities can handle the rest.

P.S.

I do have a permit to carry a gun i use to own a 9mm.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
firechopper firechopper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Englewood Florida
Age: 36
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
firechopper is on a distinguished road
Default scare the Sh#t out of me

I've always carried my gun in my truck but nevered thought of having to carry it until 3 weeks ago. I was mowing a long time customer, who lives on a fresh water canal. I was trimming down by the water edge when a 6 foot gator came out of the water and about 5 ft from where I was. I screamed like a little girl, threw my brand new trimmer at it and went running towards my truck. I've always seen gators in the water or on the opposite bank but nevered hinding at the waters edge. after 10 mins I came around the back of the property, hoping that my trimmer was still their. Since then i carry my gun in a fanny pak. I look like a idoit, but i feel better. I did take picutures of the gator just to show my wife that its not all peaches and cream.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechopper View Post
I've always carried my gun in my truck but nevered thought of having to carry it until 3 weeks ago. I was mowing a long time customer, who lives on a fresh water canal. I was trimming down by the water edge when a 6 foot gator came out of the water and about 5 ft from where I was. I screamed like a little girl, threw my brand new trimmer at it and went running towards my truck. I've always seen gators in the water or on the opposite bank but nevered hinding at the waters edge. after 10 mins I came around the back of the property, hoping that my trimmer was still their. Since then i carry my gun in a fanny pak. I look like a idoit, but i feel better. I did take picutures of the gator just to show my wife that its not all peaches and cream.
I've had a long day - didn't even get to eat dinner until 9:30pm, but that made my day - ROFLMAO!!!
Thanks for the laugh! I hope you carry something in a "gator rated" caliber!


I always thought I'd start carrying "to work" when I left my desk job and started my lawn care business, but I haven't yet.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bad contract, mowing, problems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what spare parts to carry with you Dragger Starting a lawn care business. 10 11-14-2010 05:19 AM
Do you carry a fire extinguisher? Steve Health, Safety and Accident Issues. 4 07-27-2007 11:05 PM
Carry all racks Steve General Talk 1 04-06-2006 11:37 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
New Trailer
bobwill2009
Today 12:46 PM
Today 12:46 PM
by bobwill2009
0 9
Advertising On...
JacobsLawnMowing
03-17-2014 03:21 PM
Today 12:40 PM
by Steve
12 822
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
Today 12:37 PM
by Steve
7 205
Pushy customers
christopherhicks82
Yesterday 08:22 PM
Today 12:34 PM
by Steve
4 103
Pond...
xandrew245x
Yesterday 03:29 PM
Today 12:30 PM
by Steve
3 76
2.5 acre mowing
xandrew245x
04-18-2014 06:55 AM
Today 12:26 PM
by Steve
14 310
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
Today 12:17 PM
by bobwill2009
79 25,263
The $20 Mow Job
Dan Tanner
04-21-2014 07:24 PM
Today 12:06 PM
by Steve
5 172
In a bit situation need...
googus
Yesterday 08:01 AM
Today 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 128
quickbooks users
CDLAWNCARE
04-20-2014 09:03 AM
Today 06:48 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
4 163
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 07:55 PM
by Just for Cuts
23 573
About D@## Time!
TamMik
04-02-2014 08:10 AM
Yesterday 05:14 PM
by BelleCityLawn1
19 854
Back for this year
xandrew245x
02-21-2014 04:30 PM
Yesterday 03:36 PM
by xandrew245x
19 998
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
Yesterday 12:29 AM
by Tony317
22 1,697
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
Yesterday 12:07 AM
by Tony317
9 435
danny 2
danny2
04-19-2014 10:19 PM
04-21-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
3 135
this mower is driving me...
boog
04-17-2014 12:07 PM
04-21-2014 12:10 PM
by kslawn
13 337
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
04-21-2014 12:02 PM
by kslawn
20 568
I Got Taken...,
Dan Tanner
04-19-2014 06:26 AM
04-21-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
4 220
new to this forum!
mower13126
04-18-2014 07:37 PM
04-21-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
4 146
REO calling
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 05:03 PM
04-21-2014 11:33 AM
by Steve
12 341
employee pay
4 seasons maintenance
04-10-2011 09:34 PM
04-20-2014 04:40 PM
by Dan Tanner
20 6,869
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
04-20-2014 11:13 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
32 1,200
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
04-20-2014 11:11 AM
by kslawn
10 360
Customers droping like...
goodtimez
04-18-2014 09:53 AM
04-19-2014 08:09 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
7 224
Best Bulk Mulch delivery...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:52 AM
04-18-2014 05:34 PM
by Steve
2 99
Steve Virgadamo,...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:49 AM
04-18-2014 05:08 PM
by Steve
2 81
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
04-16-2014 11:28 AM
04-18-2014 04:51 PM
by Steve
3 171
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
04-18-2014 04:47 PM
by Steve
5 236
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
04-18-2014 04:39 PM
by Steve
9 252
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 11:00 PM
04-18-2014 04:04 PM
by stevef1201
10 277
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
04-18-2014 03:59 PM
by stevef1201
6 230
Pay per click advertising
roostertail
02-12-2014 07:26 PM
04-17-2014 07:11 PM
by yardrate
10 633
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-16-2014 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 792
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
04-16-2014 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 143
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 338
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
04-16-2014 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 127
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
04-16-2014 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 769
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
04-16-2014 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 285
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 229
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 366
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 271
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 151
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 286,576
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 523
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 525
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 230
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 493
Hello all
Griff20114
04-12-2014 05:08 PM
04-14-2014 09:46 AM
by Steve
1 146
Step by Step Spring Lawn...
WarriorLawnscaping
04-10-2014 07:01 AM
04-14-2014 09:43 AM
by Steve
5 310
» Popular Tags
4wd aerator bid butterfly gardens buy charge christmas light service craigslist credit card cultivation customers decorating exmark fall ferris financing first truck flower bed cultivation price franchise gopherhaul grass clarksville gravely gravely 34" zero turn health holiday how much to charge introduction invoice kansas city late lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business show lesco lighting marketing mechanic monthly mow mowing mowing clarksville mulch mulch price new and restored landscapes new buisness new business office management podcast promotion reo requests scag schedule selling seo sole proprietorship starting a business start up lawn care business steve stihl subcontractor top dresser toro tree care turfgrass consulting upsell walker winter money making ideas zero turn
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy