Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Think I'm being pushed out (Mowed Over)


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM
devuono311 devuono311 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 7
devuono311 is on a distinguished road
Default Think I'm being pushed out (Mowed Over)

So, I'm in a tough spot. I think I'm being lierally pushed out of the market and "mowed over" so to speak. I've placed a few bids recently and I've based every bid at the lowest I could possibly go and still survive. Example, I bid a local property that is overseen by a property manager. Last year I was one of 2 bidders. This year, no exaggeration, close to 20 different "businesses" bid on that same property... WTF? Anyhow a larger business keeps landing these accounts and looking at prices I really dont understand how they are doing it? My only theory is they are handing some poor sap a mower and trimmer and paying him $8.00 an hour to go take care of these properties. I'm killing myself in gas running around trying to place bids. Another perfect example. As I posted on another post on this forum, I had an opportunity to bid a local school district. My bid was right around $56,000 for the year. That would cover MY overhead, pay my bills, and pay a helper at $12.00/ hr. for 30 hrs/week . Some poor lad landed that same bid for $16,500 a year for the next three years! Over 12 months pay period thats only $1,375.00 a month and for one guy to do it alone you're talking 50-60 hours a week! You're talking a football field, two soccer fields, three baseball fields, all done twice weekly, then two elementary schools, a middle school, the highschool, , administration building, transportation garage, and a adult education school every week also. I honestly feel bad for that guy. I see him going under shortly, unless I missed a huge memo somewhere.

However, back on track, I'm struggling to make it a go this year. I'll be lucky to take on more than the 8 accounts I have from last year. I am going to keep pushing residential this year, but on average I'll need atleast 25 accounts total to make it work. I just cant believe the number of companies that have popped up out of nowhere this year! They are REALLY " Mowing me over".....
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 912
Rep Power: 8
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
What other kinds of marketing are you doing? Do you have a website? Is it listed on the search engines? Do you have a listing on google places? Have you registered on business directories at all? Online advertising is the best way to go, everyone uses the internet now a days.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
950thomas 950thomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 171
Rep Power: 6
950thomas is on a distinguished road
Default

The larger companies can bid lower because of volume and usually there is capital improvement work on larger commercial that offsets the lower monthly price that is how I do it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-01-2011, 03:13 PM
devuono311 devuono311 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 7
devuono311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Please explain deeper if you dont mind. So I can understand, maybe if I understand better, I can see it reasonable to stay. I WANT this sooo bad, but if I cant see making it 5 years down the road, I need to know what I'm looking at.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 PM
950thomas 950thomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 171
Rep Power: 6
950thomas is on a distinguished road
Default

The bigger companies can do more properties at lower profit margins its like Walmart when u get big u have to keep crews busy even if u are not making money on that one property u still have your crews for the otherwork that u are making money on I might do a apartment complex cheap just so I can get there capital improvement work because that will typically cover the difference
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 6
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devuono311 View Post
So, I'm in a tough spot. I think I'm being lierally pushed out of the market and "mowed over" so to speak. I've placed a few bids recently and I've based every bid at the lowest I could possibly go and still survive. Example, I bid a local property that is overseen by a property manager. Last year I was one of 2 bidders. This year, no exaggeration, close to 20 different "businesses" bid on that same property... WTF? Anyhow a larger business keeps landing these accounts and looking at prices I really dont understand how they are doing it? My only theory is they are handing some poor sap a mower and trimmer and paying him $8.00 an hour to go take care of these properties. I'm killing myself in gas running around trying to place bids. Another perfect example. As I posted on another post on this forum, I had an opportunity to bid a local school district. My bid was right around $56,000 for the year. That would cover MY overhead, pay my bills, and pay a helper at $12.00/ hr. for 30 hrs/week . Some poor lad landed that same bid for $16,500 a year for the next three years! Over 12 months pay period thats only $1,375.00 a month and for one guy to do it alone you're talking 50-60 hours a week! You're talking a football field, two soccer fields, three baseball fields, all done twice weekly, then two elementary schools, a middle school, the highschool, , administration building, transportation garage, and a adult education school every week also. I honestly feel bad for that guy. I see him going under shortly, unless I missed a huge memo somewhere.

However, back on track, I'm struggling to make it a go this year. I'll be lucky to take on more than the 8 accounts I have from last year. I am going to keep pushing residential this year, but on average I'll need atleast 25 accounts total to make it work. I just cant believe the number of companies that have popped up out of nowhere this year! They are REALLY " Mowing me over".....
All i have to say is this You stand out from the crowed and you will be heading the way in 5 years and the competition will lose money time and they wont be around by next year. I Think the friend who sold me the lawn care route was feeling the same way as you are but i have gained around 15 accounts in the last 6 months, all residential accounts. So the guy who is working for 1500 a month for the school district will not do the work like the district will want it to be done and he might not even finish his contract before they are already looking for another vendor so don't feel intimidated, right now its the time for us to stick to our guns, in a year or 2 this smaller companies will disappear the same way they appeared.


now the big companies are trying to keep their crews busy and remember they only pay theior crew no more than $9/hr so explain that to the clients when you meet with them if they talk about price.

2011 is still a slow year so im sure people are still losing their jobs and doing what is easier for them but the real businesses will weather this downpour of "gardeners". Also if you have some accounts that you do a terrific job for they will likely call you once the other guys disapoint them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM
devuono311 devuono311 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Rep Power: 7
devuono311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the feedback and positive attitudes guys. Its greatly appreciated.
I've needed to hear some of this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 PM
drogall drogall is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
drogall is on a distinguished road
Default here is residential tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzgardening View Post
All i have to say is this You stand out from the crowed and you will be heading the way in 5 years and the competition will lose money time and they wont be around by next year. I Think the friend who sold me the lawn care route was feeling the same way as you are but i have gained around 15 accounts in the last 6 months, all residential accounts. So the guy who is working for 1500 a month for the school district will not do the work like the district will want it to be done and he might not even finish his contract before they are already looking for another vendor so don't feel intimidated, right now its the time for us to stick to our guns, in a year or 2 this smaller companies will disappear the same way they appeared.


now the big companies are trying to keep their crews busy and remember they only pay theior crew no more than $9/hr so explain that to the clients when you meet with them if they talk about price.

2011 is still a slow year so im sure people are still losing their jobs and doing what is easier for them but the real businesses will weather this downpour of "gardeners". Also if you have some accounts that you do a terrific job for they will likely call you once the other guys disapoint them.
for residentials i get calls to talk about mowing and sometimes do things like till out a few flower beds. i tell them i can give you a bid for mowing and cleaning and tilling beds or if you use my services all summer i will fix the flower beds at no extra cost on my first visit.Yes it took me about 1.5 hours of free labor but i gained a customer.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,970
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I might do a apartment complex cheap just so I can get there capital improvement work because that will typically cover the difference
What kind of jobs would fall under the capital improvement umbrella? What should these other lawn care business owners be looking for to offer as an upsell?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
blades of grass behind once mowed landonkade Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 13 09-03-2007 11:29 AM
Most lawns mowed for $21.00? Steve Truck & Trailer Sign Design, silk screened apparel & uniform discussion 4 03-09-2007 07:52 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hello Everyone
JohnsLawnCare
06-22-2016 11:14 AM
Today 05:35 AM
by JohnsLawnCare
8 133
Newbie
Jhoell
Today 03:28 AM
Today 03:28 AM
by Jhoell
0 14
Business Overload
Chilehead
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
Today 01:27 AM
by SC93
14 672
Firefighter gone Lawn...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
03-10-2016 04:50 PM
Yesterday 07:26 PM
by acrajchel
9 10,056
Exmark Turf Tracer
acrajchel
02-01-2014 11:34 AM
Yesterday 07:23 PM
by acrajchel
5 2,094
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
Yesterday 06:59 PM
by acrajchel
7 2,999
3 Applications or 5...
stansg1fresh
02-18-2013 12:02 PM
Yesterday 06:48 PM
by acrajchel
2 1,359
Checmial Applications
acrajchel
Yesterday 06:44 PM
Yesterday 06:44 PM
by acrajchel
0 21
Ybravo 25 mowers
SGL1
06-11-2016 09:52 AM
06-21-2016 03:44 PM
by acrajchel
5 260
Great Arborist Ladder
SGL1
06-04-2016 09:56 AM
06-17-2016 08:46 AM
by SGL1
10 349
Help a Brother Out -...
Hedgemaster
01-23-2012 04:19 PM
06-17-2016 08:28 AM
by SGL1
94 34,372
Best Push Mower You Have...
markty
05-14-2016 03:46 PM
06-17-2016 06:08 AM
by SGL1
20 793
anyone interested in a...
GoGreenerKS
06-16-2016 01:00 PM
06-17-2016 02:58 AM
by SC93
4 150
Prolin
rmccutchan
05-21-2016 04:53 PM
06-16-2016 05:28 PM
by acrajchel
3 303
Laying new grass, Sod...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-23-2016 10:07 AM
06-16-2016 05:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 293
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
06-16-2016 05:24 PM
by acrajchel
6 406
Upgraded to a new mower
Stevenor92
05-17-2016 08:17 PM
06-16-2016 05:22 PM
by acrajchel
9 511
How can I fix my...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
06-10-2016 07:47 PM
06-16-2016 05:19 PM
by acrajchel
2 205
Need a lil help
Cpadgett
06-05-2016 09:51 AM
06-16-2016 05:17 PM
by acrajchel
5 329
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
06-16-2016 05:01 PM
by acrajchel
4 9,726
New Member from...
tiptoppmanager
06-15-2016 07:39 AM
06-15-2016 03:18 PM
by SC93
2 142
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
06-14-2016 08:16 AM
by poppyanne
1,252 437,562
Brand new fish pond
Flynn landscaping 2016
06-12-2016 09:53 AM
06-13-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 128
Whats up??
Cpadgett
05-27-2016 10:57 AM
06-06-2016 08:46 PM
by Cpadgett
11 469
New Member from Texas
NathanR
06-02-2016 06:13 PM
06-03-2016 09:17 PM
by SC93
7 301
Edging Fad...
Tree geek
05-10-2016 11:29 PM
06-03-2016 07:02 PM
by SGL1
3 475
To mow weekly or Biweekly
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-11-2016 04:09 PM
06-03-2016 06:42 PM
by SGL1
11 737
Your Time Lawn Care
yourtimelawncare
05-31-2016 01:12 PM
06-02-2016 10:11 PM
by SC93
2 271
» Popular Tags
become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss break business education business help business management contractor hacks deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade hydro jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawncare lawn mowing lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch new business planting plowing raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care roundup safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel solo solo backpack sprayer sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up swzt toro timecutter tree tree pics tree service video walk behind what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy