Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Service Magic


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 03-27-2011, 04:25 PM
950thomas 950thomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 171
Rep Power: 5
950thomas is on a distinguished road
Default

Z z lawns I don't no what way he gets them sent I have them text fax and call my leads in
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 PM
DillonB92's Avatar
DillonB92 DillonB92 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 197
Rep Power: 6
DillonB92 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
is it a text message or is it an email sent to your phone?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
950thomas 950thomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 171
Rep Power: 5
950thomas is on a distinguished road
Default

Text and ph call plus they fax and email
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
bgarlow bgarlow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 5
bgarlow is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ServiceMagic

If you're looking to grow, Service Magic is a great investment.

We're in Southwestern Michigan, the Kalamazoo area. We signed up with Service Magic in July 2010 and it grew our business right away. It is a VERY SMALL investment to create your profile and become one of there vendors. Yes, you pay for leads, which is hard to get used to, but they do a thorough job of making sure you are set up to succeed. Its worth the phone calls and followups from them. (((A residential lawn lead runs about $12, commercial leads are like $20. Its a 1X fee per lead. We had about a 70% bidding success rate. In 2010, we spent $600 for their Service Magic leads... it brought us $30,000 in NEW BUSINESS last year alone - and we didn't start with them until July))).

Honestly, we had so many leads coming in to us in the fall (for leaf cleanups and snow plowing) that we had to temporarily suspend the service in November and didn't restart it again until March 1st of this year. That in itself should tell you something.

To be fair, I wanted to point out the only 2 negative elements of the service: (1) ServiceMagic offers "leads" the option to be directly connect to you via telephone (if the lead is an exact match to your criteria). This is painful when you're an owner/operator. Your phone rings, your just finishing up a lawn, your tired & dripping sweat, ...and its a recording saying "please hold while I connect you to your Service Magic perfect match lead"...you find yourself scrambling to find something you can scratch notes on and it tends to make you sound unprofessional to the caller. Inconvenient more than anything. But, all those leads are safely stored on your Service Magic account portal so you can followup on them when you get time.
(2) Website offer. They have a partner company that does websites. They will build you a site for $50 (which sounds like a great deal). Then this "partner" charges $25/month for it. Month-to-month (so you're not locked in or anything). The $50 site itself is only 2 pages and its rather "cookie cutter" looking. But, it does get hits because they register it with the major seach engines like Google & Yahoo. The Service Magic Seal is a great eye-catcher on the site, they also give you a contact page so people can email you for quotes and such.

All-in-all.... I'd recommend the service if you're looking to put your advertising money into something that gets results.

Hope this info helps!

Garlow Property Maintenance LLC
Portage, Michigan
www.garlowpropertymaintenance.com
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,509
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

How did service magic compare to your other marketing methods and have you stopped all other marketing now because of this service?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
bgarlow bgarlow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 5
bgarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Easily trackable marketing

I found that this was the most effective campaign to date. We had traditionally ran ads in the local paper in the spring and fall... which ran between $100 - $200 per time (depending on how long we ran the insertion). The return on print ads was very small and nearly impossible to track without a very conscious effort to ask every caller that contacted us. In 2009 we did a postcard mailer campaign (through VistaPrint). About a $600 investment and we got very little response, maybe 2-3 small jobs... nothing worth doing it again. From 2006-2009, we had traditionally placed an ad in our local paper to run 2 days ($85-$100) in the early spring for lawncare and again in the last summer/early fall for leaf cleanups... we did get a few good jobs from that marketing investment, but it was nothing compared to ServiceMagic's results. All-in-all, it has definately been the best investment for us that generated long term, re-curring revenue.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-03-2011, 12:02 PM
mcleargrounds mcleargrounds is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 5
mcleargrounds is on a distinguished road
Default New to Service Magic.

I just signed up last week. I am in Macomb Ccounty Michigan and my current target is 10 mile radius with 2 leads per week - $24 cost. I haven't received any leads yet - but I will keep everyone updated.

The services I found helpful was the advertising support. They gave a lot of great advice with regard to marketing your business - and how to grow your business as a whole.

Also, I have my own website - and now I can advertise with a the Service Magic seal of approval.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,509
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

It seems like this service may work in some areas while it doesn't work too well in others.

Quote:
The services I found helpful was the advertising support. They gave a lot of great advice with regard to marketing your business - and how to grow your business as a whole.
What kind of advice stood out?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 372
Rep Power: 5
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarlow View Post
If you're looking to grow, Service Magic is a great investment.

We're in Southwestern Michigan, the Kalamazoo area. We signed up with Service Magic in July 2010 and it grew our business right away. It is a VERY SMALL investment to create your profile and become one of there vendors. Yes, you pay for leads, which is hard to get used to, but they do a thorough job of making sure you are set up to succeed. Its worth the phone calls and followups from them. (((A residential lawn lead runs about $12, commercial leads are like $20. Its a 1X fee per lead. We had about a 70% bidding success rate. In 2010, we spent $600 for their Service Magic leads... it brought us $30,000 in NEW BUSINESS last year alone - and we didn't start with them until July))).

Honestly, we had so many leads coming in to us in the fall (for leaf cleanups and snow plowing) that we had to temporarily suspend the service in November and didn't restart it again until March 1st of this year. That in itself should tell you something.

To be fair, I wanted to point out the only 2 negative elements of the service: (1) ServiceMagic offers "leads" the option to be directly connect to you via telephone (if the lead is an exact match to your criteria). This is painful when you're an owner/operator. Your phone rings, your just finishing up a lawn, your tired & dripping sweat, ...and its a recording saying "please hold while I connect you to your Service Magic perfect match lead"...you find yourself scrambling to find something you can scratch notes on and it tends to make you sound unprofessional to the caller. Inconvenient more than anything. But, all those leads are safely stored on your Service Magic account portal so you can followup on them when you get time.
(2) Website offer. They have a partner company that does websites. They will build you a site for $50 (which sounds like a great deal). Then this "partner" charges $25/month for it. Month-to-month (so you're not locked in or anything). The $50 site itself is only 2 pages and its rather "cookie cutter" looking. But, it does get hits because they register it with the major seach engines like Google & Yahoo. The Service Magic Seal is a great eye-catcher on the site, they also give you a contact page so people can email you for quotes and such.

All-in-all.... I'd recommend the service if you're looking to put your advertising money into something that gets results.

Hope this info helps!

Garlow Property Maintenance LLC
Portage, Michigan
www.garlowpropertymaintenance.com
They have been calling me for about 10 months now. I just got one today asking for me to join in that they need people in my area of Texas. Will they tell me how many people in my area are signed up? I started this business 11 months ago and it has been growing very fast. I just left my full time job last week to do this full time now. A part of me is looking a calling them but I am a one man show. I do have the time right now to mow more lawns and I need to store up my money now while the grass is growing. I hear them on the local radio here all the time so I think I would get calls. Most if my jobs are around $50.00 for mow, trim, and blow. These are not huge yards but they take me about an hour. Thanks for the information I guess I will read a bit more on this.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 372
Rep Power: 5
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleargrounds View Post
I just signed up last week. I am in Macomb Ccounty Michigan and my current target is 10 mile radius with 2 leads per week - $24 cost. I haven't received any leads yet - but I will keep everyone updated.

The services I found helpful was the advertising support. They gave a lot of great advice with regard to marketing your business - and how to grow your business as a whole.

Also, I have my own website - and now I can advertise with a the Service Magic seal of approval.
Give us an update. Has it paid off?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service Magic update JP Landscaping General Talk 23 09-02-2010 12:11 PM
Does Service Magic work? JP Landscaping Starting a lawn care business. 13 05-16-2010 11:32 PM
Service Magic andyjoneslawncare Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 5 08-05-2009 04:15 PM
Service Magic??? TWIN-CITIES GREEN TEAM General Business Discussions 5 07-26-2009 07:42 PM
Service Magic A&Llandscape General Talk 2 02-27-2008 12:30 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
I came across this on a...
rootytalbot
08-02-2015 11:04 AM
Yesterday 03:34 PM
by jrs.landscaping
5 124
recycler toro 22"
rvezakis
Yesterday 12:10 PM
Yesterday 12:10 PM
by rvezakis
0 36
Help bidding a hedge...
hopolb33
08-02-2015 06:09 PM
Yesterday 11:08 AM
by Steve
1 77
Big mowing job
Bradcook21
07-30-2015 03:57 PM
Yesterday 11:06 AM
by Steve
7 180
scag SWZT review!
mattthelawnguy
07-23-2015 02:28 PM
08-01-2015 11:27 AM
by mattthelawnguy
10 431
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
07-31-2015 12:29 PM
by Steve
1,227 401,791
Hello Everybody
budspop
07-30-2015 11:42 AM
07-31-2015 12:28 PM
by Steve
1 77
Should I buy this Exmark...
googus
07-03-2015 09:22 AM
07-31-2015 11:34 AM
by googus
9 623
Hello!
brandycarlton
07-29-2015 12:31 PM
07-29-2015 03:54 PM
by Steve
1 152
Assessing the Market
NJDB60
07-27-2015 03:25 PM
07-28-2015 09:24 PM
by Steve
2 271
Whats wrong with this...
GreenWorx
07-28-2015 07:56 PM
07-28-2015 09:09 PM
by Steve
2 250
Funny craigslist post
GreenWorx
07-28-2015 07:17 PM
07-28-2015 09:02 PM
by Steve
2 269
Watch out for this -...
rootytalbot
07-22-2015 02:13 PM
07-28-2015 09:00 PM
by Steve
7 424
NewVenture
NJDB60
07-27-2015 03:38 PM
07-28-2015 08:58 PM
by Steve
1 242
Pricing issue
Mr. Mow
07-07-2015 06:15 AM
07-27-2015 06:40 PM
by GreenWorx
17 822
how to make customers...
Bradcook21
05-27-2015 05:04 PM
07-27-2015 06:08 PM
by GreenWorx
15 2,998
Need your help, Gopher...
Chilehead
07-23-2015 07:02 PM
07-27-2015 11:28 AM
by Steve
11 412
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
07-27-2015 11:22 AM
by Steve
94 10,519
Dogs
Mr. Mow
06-29-2015 02:37 PM
07-25-2015 07:50 AM
by Chilehead
12 2,455
Just about mid year, how...
GreenWorx
06-24-2015 07:05 PM
07-22-2015 07:31 PM
by Chilehead
14 2,526
Learning as I grow -...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
07-18-2015 07:46 AM
07-21-2015 10:53 AM
by Steve
3 335
Large dirt mound removal
purdue1973
07-09-2015 07:45 PM
07-20-2015 12:55 PM
by Steve
6 487
Hey everyone
Fantasy landscaping
07-09-2015 06:53 AM
07-09-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
1 354
Quickbooks Online
jscarolina
07-08-2015 07:54 AM
07-08-2015 12:55 PM
by Nate10928
1 377
I dont know what to do...
Bradcook21
06-21-2015 08:49 AM
07-07-2015 09:48 PM
by SGL1
16 2,782
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
07-07-2015 02:54 PM
by GreenWorx
13 3,729
Is it too late to do...
markty
06-16-2015 05:28 PM
07-07-2015 01:00 PM
by problem solver
9 2,524
Hi everyone
Mattw
07-06-2015 05:59 PM
07-07-2015 10:18 AM
by Steve
1 376
4th of July parade...
Steve
07-06-2015 10:35 AM
07-06-2015 10:35 AM
by Steve
0 325
Unemployment rates drop,...
Steve
07-02-2015 12:40 PM
07-06-2015 10:30 AM
by Steve
4 499
» Popular Tags
accounting ad landscaping advertising aerocore applying bark billy goat brushcutter blowout bush collections contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts door hangers edging employee problems equipment dealer equipment rental facebook financials flyers foreman free advertising free lawn care google growing a lawn care business hiring how to husqvarna hydro jobs landscape landscape services landscaping lawn aeration lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets mr dave mulch new business past due per hour charge per hour service plowing profit on employee quickbooks roundup scag secrets to landscaping seo shell small engine repair snow plowing solo solo backpack sprayer sq ft square foot swzt tree tree pics walk behind web design website website design winterization wood www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy