Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Graphic And Web Design Support Forums > Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions.

Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions. Need a lawn care business website built? Talk about search engine optimization. Or ask your lawn care and landscaping business web building related questions here. Show us your landscaping business web site for review.

Someone is stealing from me.


Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions.

Need a lawn care business website built? Talk about search engine optimization. Or ask your lawn care and landscaping business web building related questions here. Show us your landscaping business web site for review.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 AM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 5
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

You all are assuming the idea was taken.

1. you stated someone was copying your web site. Nothing is copied other than the name of the company.

2. Both sites are around the same age and the exact age is unable to be determined. So they went up around the same time.

3. It is entirely possible that 2 people came up with the same idea.

4. Why did you get the domain with an "s" instead of the singular? Was the singular gone or was that your intention?

You all are crucifying someone without all the facts. After I came up with the name for my company, I found others with a similar name and I had never seen them before. I am not defending this person at all because it does look like he took the name but then again you may not like it, there is nothing illegal about it.

Here are somethings you can do to prevent this.

1. Form a corporation. - This will prevent any other business from opening in your state with the same name or do business as with the same name. This does not prevent someone in another state from opening a business there in the other state with the same name.

2. File a Trademark - copyright isn't worth squat, you need a trademark. That is why you have coke and pepsi as the names are trademarked. With this you can shutdown anyone anywhere in the united states. Trademark needs to be federal.

3. buy up all the domains that are similar to you. .net .co .biz, plurals and singulars of your name to keep the web space yours. Otherwise it is fair game, that is unless you have the trademark.

4. Don't lose sleep over it and move on.
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 03-19-2011, 11:46 AM
TheGoat TheGoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 5
TheGoat is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaning Doctor View Post
You all are assuming the idea was taken.

1. you stated someone was copying your web site. Nothing is copied other than the name of the company.

2. Both sites are around the same age and the exact age is unable to be determined. So they went up around the same time.

3. It is entirely possible that 2 people came up with the same idea.

4. Why did you get the domain with an "s" instead of the singular? Was the singular gone or was that your intention?

You all are crucifying someone without all the facts. After I came up with the name for my company, I found others with a similar name and I had never seen them before. I am not defending this person at all because it does look like he took the name but then again you may not like it, there is nothing illegal about it.

Here are somethings you can do to prevent this.

1. Form a corporation. - This will prevent any other business from opening in your state with the same name or do business as with the same name. This does not prevent someone in another state from opening a business there in the other state with the same name.

2. File a Trademark - copyright isn't worth squat, you need a trademark. That is why you have coke and pepsi as the names are trademarked. With this you can shutdown anyone anywhere in the united states. Trademark needs to be federal.

3. buy up all the domains that are similar to you. .net .co .biz, plurals and singulars of your name to keep the web space yours. Otherwise it is fair game, that is unless you have the trademark.

4. Don't lose sleep over it and move on.

A whois domain search clearly shows my website registered in october while his was registered 9 days ago.

In the period prior to his domain registration, I have visits to my website from the area he is operating in.

my site: "With a variety of offerings, such as lawn mowing, hedge establishment, hedge trimming, dethatching, sod installation, tree pruning, overseeding and mulching, we're sure you'll be happy working with Hungry Goat Lawn Service. Look around our website, and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us.


His site: "With a variety of services to choose from, we're sure you'll be happy working with us. Look around our website and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us.

From where I sit, a single word change and some omissions are not enough to qualify as original content.

I know my business name was original.

I googled the name and derivations of it for weeks before, and constantly since, my site went live.

I realize there's probably not much I can do about it, but it is infuriating to have my creative work stolen.


Thieves are the lowest form of life on the planet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Dean Hipps Dean Hipps is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 4
Dean Hipps is on a distinguished road
Default

If someone had taken my name and formed it into their company. At first I would have been upset as well. But also remember that if he copied your name, that you have a good idea. I would honestly be flattered.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-19-2011, 03:14 PM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 5
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoat View Post
A whois domain search clearly shows my website registered in october while his was registered 9 days ago.

In the period prior to his domain registration, I have visits to my website from the area he is operating in.

my site: "With a variety of offerings, such as lawn mowing, hedge establishment, hedge trimming, dethatching, sod installation, tree pruning, overseeding and mulching, we're sure you'll be happy working with Hungry Goat Lawn Service. Look around our website, and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us.


His site: "With a variety of services to choose from, we're sure you'll be happy working with us. Look around our website and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us.

From where I sit, a single word change and some omissions are not enough to qualify as original content.

I know my business name was original.

I googled the name and derivations of it for weeks before, and constantly since, my site went live.

I realize there's probably not much I can do about it, but it is infuriating to have my creative work stolen.


Thieves are the lowest form of life on the planet.
So there is a paragraph with absolutely no relevant content what so ever.

Here is what I want you to do, you think that this is original content? Google those 2 sentences completely and see what you find. Did you copy it from them, you must have and just added the words. You will find SEVERAL sites with the exact wording that this person has on theirs. Don't rely on my word do a cut and paste into the Google search.

I started my search from the word "sure" and all the way to "contact us"

I found the exact wording on

dexknows.com
countertek.com
hotfrog.com
www.tanyasteele.vpweb.com
superpages.com
cakebliss.com.au

Every one of these sites had that EXACT same wording and some of them had both sentences in their entirety.

I understand you being angry but you don't even know this person. How do you know that they have not been in business since 1985 and are just now putting up a web site?

You can't direct your anger at this person without all the facts. Your energy is being wasted on that anger. Turn it to something more productive.

It is your own fault for not getting a trademark registered to protect your brand. I could go out tomorrow and register that name in all the other states and you could not do business there in that name. Yet if you were to register a trademark then you could force me to stop even though I registered a business name.

If he was to register a trademark, he could force you to stop. It is all about who registers first. Not knowing about this is no excuse with the courts. Just like when you tell the officer that you didn't know the speed limit.

The web is both good and bad. If it were not for the internet, you would not even know that this person existed.

I hope that you can see the point that I am making. I think it is suspicious also but all that I can see is the same name. Unless you plan on franchising, who really cares?
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
TheGoat TheGoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 5
TheGoat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaning Doctor View Post
So there is a paragraph with absolutely no relevant content what so ever.

Here is what I want you to do, you think that this is original content? Google those 2 sentences completely and see what you find. Did you copy it from them, you must have and just added the words. You will find SEVERAL sites with the exact wording that this person has on theirs. Don't rely on my word do a cut and paste into the Google search.

I started my search from the word "sure" and all the way to "contact us"

I found the exact wording on

dexknows.com
countertek.com
hotfrog.com
www.tanyasteele.vpweb.com
superpages.com
cakebliss.com.au

Every one of these sites had that EXACT same wording and some of them had both sentences in their entirety.

I understand you being angry but you don't even know this person. How do you know that they have not been in business since 1985 and are just now putting up a web site?

You can't direct your anger at this person without all the facts. Your energy is being wasted on that anger. Turn it to something more productive.

It is your own fault for not getting a trademark registered to protect your brand. I could go out tomorrow and register that name in all the other states and you could not do business there in that name. Yet if you were to register a trademark then you could force me to stop even though I registered a business name.

If he was to register a trademark, he could force you to stop. It is all about who registers first. Not knowing about this is no excuse with the courts. Just like when you tell the officer that you didn't know the speed limit.

The web is both good and bad. If it were not for the internet, you would not even know that this person existed.

I hope that you can see the point that I am making. I think it is suspicious also but all that I can see is the same name. Unless you plan on franchising, who really cares?

Point taken.

I filed for the servicemark last night, ($375!!!!)

As soon as that clears, this guy and vistaprint will be getting a C&D letter.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

As has been mentioned, if you're a sole proprietorship, another guy on the same street operating as a sole proprietorship can register the exact same name as you. (at least in PA)
I found that the only way to have an "exclusive" name (in this state) was if I were a "company". (LLC, S-Corp, etc)

When I created my name, I located two businesses with the same "first part" (Oak Leaf), but with different "endings" (Lawn Care/Service or Landscaping or Property Management). They were also sole proprietorships and since they were located on the other end of the state, and my exact name was not already taken by an LLC, I went with it. (assuming if I went the route of LLC in the future, I could keep my current name - provided another LLC didn't take it first)
My name is Oak Leaf Lawn Service.

THEN... just yesterday, I see a guy with a shirt that says "Oak Leaf Landscaping" and the phone number indicated he was relatively local. WTF?
Nothing at all comes up locally on the state listing of registered business names. All of the ones that are somewhat close to my name are several hundred miles from me, yet here's a guy looking like he's with an established company with nearly the same name as me through no fault of my own.

Hey. I'm not changing it. I did the research - the state approved it - it's registered - done.



As far as the name, and being in different states, I say unless you plan on going big with your operation - I mean REALLY big, it's no big deal.
As for the questionable website similarities, I'd be pissed too. I'm an artist and I get REALLY bothered when someone claims something I did as their own.

Hope he didn't steal your line about eating the flowers!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 AM
boog boog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 4
boog is on a distinguished road
Default

my thought would be do a google search on hungry goats and see how many people have that name hell while your @ it look up J's lawn care there is about 200 company's with that name what makes me stand out from the other 199 company's with that name is that i own this 1 there isn't much you can do but have it copyrighted i tried that with my tattoo shops name it cost a fortune !!!!!!!!!!1 wont do it again
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 AM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 5
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boog View Post
there isn't much you can do but have it copyrighted i tried that with my tattoo shops name it cost a fortune !!!!!!!!!!1 wont do it again
Copyright will do absolutely no good. As a matter of fact you would probably be turned down.

For names and such, you need to use either the trademark or servicemark which ever one fits your situation the best. I like using legal zoom for deciding which on fits the situation
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM
jsslawncare jsslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 4
jsslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Why worry about it? He's in a different state. If he were in the same county, I'd worry. Worry about doing a good job, not him. A good friend of mine has the same visita print card. Cheesey.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM
TheGoat TheGoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 5
TheGoat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Why worry about it? He's in a different state. If he were in the same county, I'd worry. Worry about doing a good job, not him. A good friend of mine has the same visita print card. Cheesey.
I worry about it because I don't want to just own a job, I want to own a business.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Mow and leave cleanup bid
SGL1
Yesterday 07:28 PM
Today 11:06 AM
by SGL1
1 39
Need input on a bid
phlawncare
07-28-2014 08:51 PM
Today 06:40 AM
by kslawn
3 104
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
Today 06:29 AM
by kslawn
5 140
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
Today 06:15 AM
by kslawn
9 178
Will summer ever come
ExtremeLawncareServices
Yesterday 08:27 AM
Yesterday 08:29 PM
by SGL1
5 96
Single tree, mow customer
WesleySnips
06-27-2014 10:12 AM
Yesterday 04:23 PM
by stevef1201
16 675
Formulas Used
BaileynSamsMum
Yesterday 06:40 AM
Yesterday 02:52 PM
by BaileynSamsMum
2 81
From Concord NC
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:34 PM
Yesterday 02:28 PM
by Steve
3 97
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Yesterday 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 155
Echo Edger 'Neutral'
WesleySnips
07-25-2014 05:28 PM
Yesterday 02:25 PM
by Steve
4 150
New from Texas
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:17 AM
07-28-2014 01:29 PM
by Steve
3 154
Left handed edging with...
SGL1
07-23-2014 08:59 PM
07-28-2014 07:39 AM
by SGL1
15 345
Echo PE 266 edger
stevef1201
07-01-2014 01:28 PM
07-27-2014 10:14 PM
by WesleySnips
5 355
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
07-27-2014 01:21 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
80 4,692
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
07-27-2014 08:16 AM
by Just for Cuts
7 198
need some help geting...
dalvan0
07-13-2014 09:28 PM
07-26-2014 04:39 PM
by BLC7
7 351
new trailer help
mattthelawnguy
07-11-2014 08:21 PM
07-25-2014 06:31 PM
by mattthelawnguy
13 535
You know it;s gonna be a...
stevef1201
07-25-2014 08:50 AM
07-25-2014 01:34 PM
by Steve
1 106
Customer letters
kslawn
07-23-2014 06:17 AM
07-25-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
5 235
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
07-24-2014 07:09 PM
by SGL1
29 1,304
Need help determining...
Jbss861
07-20-2014 02:33 PM
07-24-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
13 416
Should I ?
googus
07-22-2014 04:06 PM
07-24-2014 12:10 PM
by Steve
4 253
My First Apartment...
SSLCtn
05-26-2014 10:17 PM
07-24-2014 06:46 AM
by kslawn
15 931
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
07-24-2014 06:38 AM
by kslawn
3 233
Selling lawns like...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:51 PM
07-24-2014 06:28 AM
by kslawn
3 288
Scag new "Eliminator"......
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-20-2014 10:45 AM
07-23-2014 05:37 PM
by Just for Cuts
9 338
need professional advice...
Fiddlers_green
07-20-2014 07:21 PM
07-23-2014 12:42 PM
by Steve
3 235
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 10:20 PM
07-23-2014 12:40 PM
by Steve
15 1,449
Lawn Service back in...
LawnCareMan280
07-18-2014 09:00 PM
07-23-2014 11:48 AM
by Steve
4 268
Overspray?
stevef1201
07-21-2014 04:20 PM
07-23-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
3 175
Hello Everyone! Newbie...
SLKlawn
07-17-2014 06:22 PM
07-22-2014 01:53 PM
by Steve
6 316
Proper height for lawn
rob lederhilger
05-26-2014 08:01 AM
07-21-2014 02:53 PM
by LawnDoctor
9 682
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 12:31 PM
07-21-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
9 544
What's my business worth?
Chaz
07-16-2014 01:35 PM
07-21-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
4 330
1.5 Acre Jungle
WesleySnips
07-15-2014 05:57 PM
07-20-2014 11:31 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
21 669
Gopher schedule software
Ray
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
by Ray
0 214
2006 Chevy fuel pump...
KevinsLawns
07-17-2014 08:39 PM
07-18-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
1 212
Halfway point of year!
Steve
07-01-2014 12:08 PM
07-18-2014 11:38 AM
by Steve
14 772
I got told to leave and...
gwilson98
06-16-2014 02:07 PM
07-17-2014 11:43 AM
by Steve
16 1,093
Hey guys this is the...
prmenter@gmail.com
07-07-2014 08:23 PM
07-16-2014 08:10 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
28 825
Mowing the hills
prmenter@gmail.com
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
07-16-2014 05:00 PM
by Just for Cuts
18 751
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
07-15-2014 05:38 PM
by icon2000
1,184 321,033
Classified Ad Template...
bcfb
06-05-2013 02:40 AM
07-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
15 3,766
Husqvarna pz 60
CDLAWNCARE
07-06-2014 06:50 PM
07-15-2014 08:53 AM
by kslawn
10 490
Lowballers
Chaz
07-11-2014 03:55 PM
07-14-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
5 401
My new side job
Sprinkler Buddy
05-10-2014 05:23 AM
07-14-2014 12:15 PM
by Steve
10 854
Illegal spraying
GoGreenerKS
07-04-2014 09:11 AM
07-13-2014 10:36 PM
by GoGreenerKS
10 589
New Mower and Trailer
Chaz
06-25-2014 12:04 PM
07-13-2014 06:25 PM
by SGL1
7 610
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
07-12-2014 07:36 PM
by SGL1
21 1,940
Fuel and fuel additives
SGL1
07-06-2014 10:23 AM
07-11-2014 07:53 PM
by SGL1
15 600
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 ads birdscaping care charge collections subcontractor commercial craigslist customers ecosymbiosis employee problems exmark fall ferris four wheel drive franchise gopherhaul grass gravely holiday honda how much to charge how to bid hydraulic installation invoice kawasaki labor cost late lawn lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lawn service leaf cleanup lesco marketing mowing mulch estimate native plants new buisness office management online classifieds podcast promotion rotating scag scag v-ride season seo sprayer starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky theft of services tips toro tractor auger trailer mate pro truck new used landscape upsell walk behind walker winter money making ideas won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy