Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job
If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.

Shrub & Tree Trimming bidding


Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default Shrub & Tree Trimming bidding

This is one of the hardest for me to bid on. How in the world do you go about looking at a bush such as an oleander and bid on it on trimming and halling off the clippings? Some are large some are small. Some trees need a few branches cut while others need more. Then the rose bush is over in the corner, followed by a boxwood. Then on the other side of the property there is sago palm, or palm tree? Some shrubs need square while some are round!!

1. How do you bid this out on one property with different variety?
2. How or where do you learn to shape bushes?
3. How do you keep the bushes from looking bare when it has not been trimmed in a while? This happens when they want them cut round when the were square for an example?

Look forward to hearing from you pros out there. Maybe it is just a time issue. I have all the equipment just want to make sure I use it well.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 7
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark1611 View Post
1. How do you bid this out on one property with different variety?
2. How or where do you learn to shape bushes?
3. How do you keep the bushes from looking bare when it has not been trimmed in a while? This happens when they want them cut round when the were square for an example?

Look forward to hearing from you pros out there. Maybe it is just a time issue. I have all the equipment just want to make sure I use it well.

Thanks for your help.
1. I bid hedge rows by the foot. The rate per foot is dependent on the height. Individual shrubs are bid on size and complexity. I take into account if I have to hand prune or will use motorized hedge trimmers

2. Read. There are a ton of great books on proper prunning techniques and styles. Also check out local, state and national landscape and arborist organizations. They usually have a wealth of information

3. Educate your clients. Some things just cant be undone. Dont get me wrong you can do alot with smart pruning, but a 10 foot tall juniper bush cant be made into a 3 foot tall juniper bush without either killing it or destroying its look. Also educate yourself. If you tell a client that this bush is a (insert common name or scientific name) and this is how it should be maintained and this is what I can do. You look like a professional and they will value your expertise.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbiz View Post
1. I bid hedge rows by the foot. The rate per foot is dependent on the height. Individual shrubs are bid on size and complexity. I take into account if I have to hand prune or will use motorized hedge trimmers

2. Read. There are a ton of great books on proper prunning techniques and styles. Also check out local, state and national landscape and arborist organizations. They usually have a wealth of information

3. Educate your clients. Some things just cant be undone. Dont get me wrong you can do alot with smart pruning, but a 10 foot tall juniper bush cant be made into a 3 foot tall juniper bush without either killing it or destroying its look. Also educate yourself. If you tell a client that this bush is a (insert common name or scientific name) and this is how it should be maintained and this is what I can do. You look like a professional and they will value your expertise.
Thank you for the information. I did not know about where to even find the information so you have got pointed me in a direction. I have a customer that wants me to bid on 6 sagos and looking at the size and placement I can have them cut and loaded in 45 minutes! The site is not far away. I have been told that this is where the money is so I just want to make sure that I am fair to the customer but at the same time I am making money. Again thank you so much for taking the time to help answer my question.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,043
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
1. I bid hedge rows by the foot. The rate per foot is dependent on the height. Individual shrubs are bid on size and complexity. I take into account if I have to hand prune or will use motorized hedge trimmers
Do you have any examples you could share to give everyone some kind of idea where to start?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 7
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Do you have any examples you could share to give everyone some kind of idea where to start?
Sure Steve,

Hedge rows 50cents to $2 a linear foot based on height. For individual shrubs I figure $5 for those under knee height. $10-$15 for knee to sholder height. $20 and up for those taller then 6foot. If I have a complete landscape I will discount the final amount because of the efficiencies of working in one place. On top of this amount I will add a disposal fee if I need to make a dump run. For prunning the prices are similar but usually a few dollars more per size.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thank you. This gives me something to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbiz View Post
Sure Steve,

Hedge rows 50cents to $2 a linear foot based on height. For individual shrubs I figure $5 for those under knee height. $10-$15 for knee to sholder height. $20 and up for those taller then 6foot. If I have a complete landscape I will discount the final amount because of the efficiencies of working in one place. On top of this amount I will add a disposal fee if I need to make a dump run. For prunning the prices are similar but usually a few dollars more per size.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,043
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Hedge rows 50cents to $2 a linear foot based on height.
How should this price differ if the shrub is 3 ft high vs. 6 ft high?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2011, 01:32 PM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 7
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How should this price differ if the shrub is 3 ft high vs. 6 ft high?
This is were pricing becomes more of an art then a science. It really depends on the type of shurbs, access, and how easy they will be to clean up etc. I use my experience to determine this number. I should probably come up with a matrix to make it easier as my company grows.


Jay
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
mattb7771 mattb7771 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: coquitlam british columbia
Age: 39
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 7
mattb7771 is on a distinguished road
Default

if im having a hard time deciding what to charge for a pruning job i will just charge for a half day or full day based on my hourly rate plus dumping fees even if im only there for six hours or seven my day is pretty much shot
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,043
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
if im having a hard time deciding what to charge for a pruning job i will just charge for a half day or full day based on my hourly rate plus dumping fees even if im only there for six hours or seven my day is pretty much shot
So are there times when you will be on a job for 6 or 7 hours and still bill for a full day (8 hours) because you can't schedule any other work in?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi Everyone! from Ornamental Tree & Shrub LLC in Molalla, OR OST Introduce Yourself 2 12-29-2009 12:48 AM
Shrub pruning bidding Jimmy53 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 2 05-31-2009 08:54 PM
Apple tree trimming justin_time Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes 7 04-25-2009 02:34 PM
help pricing shrub and tree trimming pboy8634 Community Assistance 2 04-21-2009 12:02 AM
Tree Trimming Casualty.... musician/lawnman Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 4 10-17-2008 09:48 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 06:51 PM
Today 02:47 PM
by Steve
21 2,908
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
Yesterday 07:47 PM
by SC93
11 728
fert/lawn programs
joshp
08-28-2016 10:43 AM
Yesterday 03:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 278
Landscaper taking on odd...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 06:57 PM
08-28-2016 10:31 AM
by joshp
7 879
Review of our lawn care...
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
08-27-2016 10:51 AM
by Steve
7 1,855
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 07:43 PM
08-25-2016 12:55 PM
by Steve
19 2,201
Looking for new host
Just for Cuts
11-26-2015 06:58 AM
08-24-2016 09:05 PM
by Stephen Alberts
10 1,947
Facebook advertising
Just for Cuts
12-13-2015 07:49 AM
08-24-2016 08:59 PM
by Stephen Alberts
14 13,151
Breaking into commercial...
SGL1
08-19-2016 07:02 AM
08-24-2016 10:12 AM
by mowandblow1980
7 674
Snow Plow
acrajchel
08-17-2016 10:21 AM
08-22-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
5 644
Quarter Acre Woodland...
ew411
08-16-2016 06:50 AM
08-18-2016 12:25 PM
by Steve
4 626
Bidding Bushhogging
acrajchel
08-15-2016 11:52 AM
08-17-2016 05:32 PM
by acrajchel
4 623
Hello From the Florida...
KevinShuman
08-15-2016 08:57 PM
08-16-2016 01:52 PM
by SC93
2 616
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
08-16-2016 12:42 AM
by SC93
5 922
A quick Intro
BLE
08-14-2016 05:17 PM
08-15-2016 10:54 AM
by acrajchel
2 609
New Customer - Gettting...
acrajchel
08-05-2016 05:00 PM
08-15-2016 10:52 AM
by acrajchel
4 883
helping out a friend set...
Doug D
08-13-2016 11:33 AM
08-15-2016 09:45 AM
by Steve
1 618
Small bed job
Bradcook21
08-09-2016 09:52 PM
08-10-2016 03:51 PM
by Steve
1 739
Hello from NoVa
jtwlawn
08-03-2016 11:20 AM
08-09-2016 10:45 AM
by jtwlawn
4 878
How much to charge for...
jymie
03-31-2013 05:59 PM
08-08-2016 04:33 PM
by Steve
27 6,698
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
08-07-2016 10:21 AM
by Just for Cuts
18 19,875
New Site Hows it look
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 10:32 AM
08-07-2016 08:37 AM
by Lawnline
8 11,334
Hey guys! Greetings from...
thegardener
08-05-2016 05:45 AM
08-05-2016 03:26 PM
by Steve
1 779
First Time Bidding-Need...
capitallawncrew
08-01-2016 08:30 AM
08-03-2016 09:52 AM
by Steve
3 716
Show us your stripes
Just for Cuts
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
08-01-2016 08:28 PM
by ExclusiveLawns
7 3,824
» Popular Tags
apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding break business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy