Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??

Getting Started


Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
RANGER99 RANGER99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 6
RANGER99 is on a distinguished road
Default Getting Started

Hi folks - I just came on the forum yesterday. I'm looking for any and all suggestions. I am twice retired (US Army) and business. After 8 months of retirement, I cannot handle it. I have decided to jump in lawn care and minor landscaping. Why? Because of all the work-related things I have done in my life, I enjoy these tasks most. I live on 45 acres surrounded by a town and maintain about 4 acres here. I have been studying all I can find on the subject and will "begin" next week. Any thoughts on the right initial equipment and how to get my name out there would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnMoore's Avatar
LawnMoore LawnMoore is offline
Mr. Moore
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Suwannee River Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 288
Rep Power: 6
LawnMoore is on a distinguished road
Default Hooah

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Greetings.

I would like to throw out a little test run you could start with!

Im sure you have an F150 or the like..

First question, What do you have now(mower/eq)?

Regardless of that, since your retired USA, i know if you don't have one, you could get a push mower.

Second Question, Are you licensed and insured?

If not, square that away also..

Go down to a local or best known printing/advertising shop and have yourself some stick on magnets made for your truck.

And some business cards and maybe have a few shirts made, be professional! But you should already know the creed.

Then once you ahve your uniform on, your truck labeled, and your business cards handy..

Round up your push mower and a weedeater, plus any other basic tools you might need on a fast easy job!

Then head off into the immediate neighborhood, going door to door, explaining that you are a retired army and business man who has to be productive!

Comence by handing them a business card and asking if they might be in need of a new or additional Yard man!


now to the part where your thinking, heh, bud i have a rider/zero..

So what, you first task should be accomplishing a datbase and network of clients, and only use the push mower as a prop! (Hauling around all your equipment might make it harder to get away from the angry 50/50 haha.
and also wastes more gas, when looking for clients, you want to travel swiftly)

If its a small yard and you want to knock it out and make 20+ bucks, do it too it! If not, or its bigger, then schedule them in!

Come back later and knock out the yards you have aquired.

********************************************************-

And if you need help on initial equipment seriously, im here to help you again.

Best in my experience, is a professional grade stihl weedeater! (However note, some of those will knock the paint right off a building!) So dont use the high hp ones close to homes, use them for brush clearing with a sawblade if needed.

and use a entry level stihl chainsaw for trimming. or you can go down to wally world and buy a 20$ weedeater that might last 2 weeks

Before i start advising out more equipment, can you also inform us what kind of budget you want to start with!

minimal 500$ or less, or average 1k$, or elaborate 10k$

hope to be able to help you again soon.
__________________
(352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Last edited by LawnMoore; 02-15-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Growing Green Growing Green is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 323
Rep Power: 0
Growing Green is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMoore View Post
Greetings.

I would like to throw out a little test run you could start with!

Im sure you have an F150 or the like..

First question, What do you have now(mower/eq)?

Regardless of that, since your retired USA, i know if you don't have one, you could get a push mower.

Second Question, Are you licensed and insured?

If not, square that away also..

Go down to a local or best known printing/advertising shop and have yourself some stick on magnets made for your truck.

And some business cards and maybe have a few shirts made, be professional! But you should already know the creed.

Then once you ahve your uniform on, your truck labeled, and your business cards handy..

Round up your push mower and a weedeater, plus any other basic tools you might need on a fast easy job!

Then head off into the immediate neighborhood, going door to door, explaining that you are a retired army and business man who has to be productive!

Comence by handing them a business card and asking if they might be in need of a new or additional Yard man!


now to the part where your thinking, heh, bud i have a rider/zero..

So what, you first task should be accomplishing a datbase and network of clients, and only use the push mower as a prop! (Hauling around all your equipment might make it harder to get away from the angry 50/50 haha.
and also wastes more gas, when looking for clients, you want to travel swiftly)

If its a small yard and you want to knock it out and make 20+ bucks, do it too it! If not, or its bigger, then schedule them in!

Come back later and knock out the yards you have aquired.

********************************************************-

And if you need help on initial equipment seriously, im here to help you again.

Best in my experience, is a professional grade stihl weedeater! (However note, some of those will knock the paint right off a building!) So dont use the high hp ones close to homes, use them for brush clearing with a sawblade if needed.

and use a entry level stihl chainsaw for trimming. or you can go down to wally world and buy a 20$ weedeater that might last 2 weeks

Before i start advising out more equipment, can you also inform us what kind of budget you want to start with!

minimal 500$ or less, or average 1k$, or elaborate 10k$

hope to be able to help you again soon.
What Stihl would you suggest with their Kombi system?

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
RANGER99 RANGER99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 6
RANGER99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks Lawnmore - great advice.

I have some equipment now, with the exception of a good Z-turn small enough to do residential (I have a 60" I use on my mini-farm) and a push mower. When you say push mower, what size are you talking about? Any brands you would recommend? I would rather buy one I could use for a long time.

As I am just starting out, how do I respond to or overcome the questions about references I expect to get?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 6
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER99 View Post
Thanks Lawnmore - great advice.

I have some equipment now, with the exception of a good Z-turn small enough to do residential (I have a 60" I use on my mini-farm) and a push mower. When you say push mower, what size are you talking about? Any brands you would recommend? I would rather buy one I could use for a long time.

As I am just starting out, how do I respond to or overcome the questions about references I expect to get?
As a dealer I can tell you push mower quality is the pitts right now. Hustler makes a really good one but still not worth the money. Toro makes a decent one but also overpriced. I honestly see more craftsman push mowers then anything else with my commercial cutters. As for equipment everyone has a personal preference and you will find people that will disagree with all of them with good reason. Are you able to work on your own equipment?

If not do you know of a really good dealer and what does he carry.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
RANGER99 RANGER99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 6
RANGER99 is on a distinguished road
Default

I can tinker with equipment but prefer to let dealers handle the big stuff. What would be a standard commercial push mower - one that a lot of folks use?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,970
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Welcome to our forum!

Quote:
I live on 45 acres surrounded by a town and maintain about 4 acres here.
I would guess you have some equipment now that you could use to get started. Do you have friends or family in town that you could offer your service to and get started? Then start spreading out to their neighbors etc?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM
RANGER99 RANGER99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 6
RANGER99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi Steve - I do have equipment, but most is too big for most residential properties. I know I will need a decent mower (smaller than my 60" Kubota) to use and want to buy one (or 2) that will still be fast and yet fit inside most backyards. Any thought?

I don't have family around. I plan on mailing introductory pieces to the nicer subdivisions introducing the company. My wife runs a small printing company and mailing service, so this is an easy route for us. Thoughts on this?

Gary
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 PM
950thomas 950thomas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 171
Rep Power: 6
950thomas is on a distinguished road
Default

My crews use sixtys on most residential I try not to bid on yards that I can't fit my equipment on
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 PM
RANGER99 RANGER99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: alabama
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 6
RANGER99 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks 950Thomas - Do you handle any with fences? That is my primary concern with using the sixty; navigating into and around backyards.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just started!! WOW!! blairville Introduce Yourself 11 03-29-2011 04:23 AM
Just Getting Started....HELP!!!!! allmine4you@sbcglobal.net General Talk 2 07-29-2009 09:29 PM
Getting Started nozzlehead Starting a lawn care business. 15 06-18-2009 02:17 PM
Just getting started - need help! tntliska Starting a lawn care business. 11 01-30-2009 10:34 AM
getting started cowboy52806 Introduce Yourself 7 04-30-2008 06:32 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hello Everyone
JohnsLawnCare
06-22-2016 11:14 AM
Today 09:38 AM
by SC93
9 150
Newbie
Jhoell
Today 03:28 AM
Today 03:28 AM
by Jhoell
0 19
Business Overload
Chilehead
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
Today 01:27 AM
by SC93
14 690
Firefighter gone Lawn...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
03-10-2016 04:50 PM
Yesterday 07:26 PM
by acrajchel
9 10,069
Exmark Turf Tracer
acrajchel
02-01-2014 11:34 AM
Yesterday 07:23 PM
by acrajchel
5 2,104
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
Yesterday 06:59 PM
by acrajchel
7 3,010
3 Applications or 5...
stansg1fresh
02-18-2013 12:02 PM
Yesterday 06:48 PM
by acrajchel
2 1,364
Checmial Applications
acrajchel
Yesterday 06:44 PM
Yesterday 06:44 PM
by acrajchel
0 22
Ybravo 25 mowers
SGL1
06-11-2016 09:52 AM
06-21-2016 03:44 PM
by acrajchel
5 267
Great Arborist Ladder
SGL1
06-04-2016 09:56 AM
06-17-2016 08:46 AM
by SGL1
10 360
Help a Brother Out -...
Hedgemaster
01-23-2012 04:19 PM
06-17-2016 08:28 AM
by SGL1
94 34,407
Best Push Mower You Have...
markty
05-14-2016 03:46 PM
06-17-2016 06:08 AM
by SGL1
20 808
anyone interested in a...
GoGreenerKS
06-16-2016 01:00 PM
06-17-2016 02:58 AM
by SC93
4 155
Prolin
rmccutchan
05-21-2016 04:53 PM
06-16-2016 05:28 PM
by acrajchel
3 308
Laying new grass, Sod...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-23-2016 10:07 AM
06-16-2016 05:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 297
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
06-16-2016 05:24 PM
by acrajchel
6 415
Upgraded to a new mower
Stevenor92
05-17-2016 08:17 PM
06-16-2016 05:22 PM
by acrajchel
9 522
How can I fix my...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
06-10-2016 07:47 PM
06-16-2016 05:19 PM
by acrajchel
2 209
Need a lil help
Cpadgett
06-05-2016 09:51 AM
06-16-2016 05:17 PM
by acrajchel
5 339
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
06-16-2016 05:01 PM
by acrajchel
4 9,732
New Member from...
tiptoppmanager
06-15-2016 07:39 AM
06-15-2016 03:18 PM
by SC93
2 145
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
06-14-2016 08:16 AM
by poppyanne
1,252 437,683
Brand new fish pond
Flynn landscaping 2016
06-12-2016 09:53 AM
06-13-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 131
Whats up??
Cpadgett
05-27-2016 10:57 AM
06-06-2016 08:46 PM
by Cpadgett
11 482
New Member from Texas
NathanR
06-02-2016 06:13 PM
06-03-2016 09:17 PM
by SC93
7 308
Edging Fad...
Tree geek
05-10-2016 11:29 PM
06-03-2016 07:02 PM
by SGL1
3 482
To mow weekly or Biweekly
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-11-2016 04:09 PM
06-03-2016 06:42 PM
by SGL1
11 751
Your Time Lawn Care
yourtimelawncare
05-31-2016 01:12 PM
06-02-2016 10:11 PM
by SC93
2 274
» Popular Tags
become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss break business education business help business management contractor hacks deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade hydro jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawncare lawn mowing lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch new business planting plowing raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care roundup safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel solo solo backpack sprayer sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up swzt toro timecutter tree tree pics tree service video walk behind what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy