Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??

Mower Trade in Value


Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Deathcat1 Deathcat1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 7
Deathcat1 is on a distinguished road
Default Mower Trade in Value

Hey Guys,

Thought I would come here due to the overwhelming amount of support you guys offer and advice; I have a quick question. I am looking to upgrade my mower this season, and currently have a 2007 (I believe) Exmark Viking. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the resale/trade in value. The mower was used commercially, and roughly has 400-500 hours on it, ECS, Hydro, 15 HP, very good condition. I'd love to keep it for a back up, but if I can get a decent amount out of it, I would roll that into a used Lazer. (Which I now need, due to business growing rapidly this last 2 years). I really don't have any small gated properties, so I don't think I'll need it if I have a 60.

Any suggestions what the mower could be worth, or any websites I can go to check? I tried on ebay, but it didn't seem to have many listings for a 48 right now. I would like to know what I can sell it for, before I negotiate at my local dealer, or before I put it up for sale.

Thanks guys!

Brian
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 6
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcat1 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thought I would come here due to the overwhelming amount of support you guys offer and advice; I have a quick question. I am looking to upgrade my mower this season, and currently have a 2007 (I believe) Exmark Viking. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the resale/trade in value. The mower was used commercially, and roughly has 400-500 hours on it, ECS, Hydro, 15 HP, very good condition. I'd love to keep it for a back up, but if I can get a decent amount out of it, I would roll that into a used Lazer. (Which I now need, due to business growing rapidly this last 2 years). I really don't have any small gated properties, so I don't think I'll need it if I have a 60.

Any suggestions what the mower could be worth, or any websites I can go to check? I tried on ebay, but it didn't seem to have many listings for a 48 right now. I would like to know what I can sell it for, before I negotiate at my local dealer, or before I put it up for sale.

Thanks guys!

Brian
Do you have any pictures to post. Really hard to tell the condition of a machine without seeing it. Every area is however going to be different on price.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 5
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

try asking your dealer, he would have an idea of its local value. Trade in's for mowers are not like cars. Most of the time we sit on them forever and for the most part break even on average after service and repair of the bad trades. Dealers take trades because we are expected to by customers. I am sure he will give you honest values and not try to push you into trading with him.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Deathcat1 Deathcat1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 7
Deathcat1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I do not have any current pictures of the mower, since it is in storage. I could always bring it out and take a photo, however here in Detroit Metro where I live, its about -5 degrees out, and I don't think that's something I'm interested in doing right now!

I will have to decide whether the dealers trade in is great, or if its a low offer, I will just have to sell it personally. I deal with a great local company in Farmington, and they've yet to steer me wrong, so I have faith in them. I understand where they are coming from too in a resale situation, but I do not want to end up selling a mower for a grand, when it could be worth 2, or even more.

Thanks for the feedback so far,

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 AM
nnyparts's Avatar
nnyparts nnyparts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern New York
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 5
nnyparts is on a distinguished road
Default Whats it worth?

Hey Brian,

Lawn mowers are very different than cars in that we don't have NADA or sites that display what a mower should be worth depending on its age, model, hours and condition.

We sell around 100 used riding mowers every year and my tendency is that if the mower is in excellent condition (we service and repair anything prior to the sale) with 400 hours and has been commercially used that it be priced around half of what one would cost the prospective buyer if they bought new.

What you need to do is come up with a price that you are comfortable with. What did it cost you when you bought it, did you put the 400 hours on it and how much per hour was it worth to you? I also assume you depreciated it on your taxes so that's worth a little and finally....whats a back-up mower worth to you.

In the event that the new one breaks down....that mower might be worth quite a bit to you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:32 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 6
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcat1 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I do not have any current pictures of the mower, since it is in storage. I could always bring it out and take a photo, however here in Detroit Metro where I live, its about -5 degrees out, and I don't think that's something I'm interested in doing right now!

I will have to decide whether the dealers trade in is great, or if its a low offer, I will just have to sell it personally. I deal with a great local company in Farmington, and they've yet to steer me wrong, so I have faith in them. I understand where they are coming from too in a resale situation, but I do not want to end up selling a mower for a grand, when it could be worth 2, or even more.

Thanks for the feedback so far,

Brian
Brian,

I am from Livonia, if you are interested in selling I am interested. I have been looking for a ZTR or stander for some of my big accounts, but a 48 walk behind would also work... Keep me in mind if you want to sell.

Jay
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Deathcat1 Deathcat1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 7
Deathcat1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyparts View Post
Hey Brian,

Lawn mowers are very different than cars in that we don't have NADA or sites that display what a mower should be worth depending on its age, model, hours and condition.

We sell around 100 used riding mowers every year and my tendency is that if the mower is in excellent condition (we service and repair anything prior to the sale) with 400 hours and has been commercially used that it be priced around half of what one would cost the prospective buyer if they bought new.

What you need to do is come up with a price that you are comfortable with. What did it cost you when you bought it, did you put the 400 hours on it and how much per hour was it worth to you? I also assume you depreciated it on your taxes so that's worth a little and finally....whats a back-up mower worth to you.

In the event that the new one breaks down....that mower might be worth quite a bit to you.
Nnyparts,

That is great information there. Thank you. I did buy the mower brand new for $5300. I have a brand new sulky unit (purchased late Sept last season) that I would be selling with it. I appreciate the perspective on downtime and having it as a back up too.

I don't know if every dealer does this, but the place where I get my equipment from, for a reasonable fee, has a "zero down time" policy, so if your mower does break, if they can't fix it with in an hour, they will give you a loaner until it is fixed. That has always been a great mental stress reliever for me in that area. One less thing I have to worry about!

I think a reasonable price range would be some where between 2-3 range, just from my observations so far. That is a hell of a deal for a mower that probably retails over $5500(?) now, especially since I believe the condition is pretty good. Image was always a big deal for me, being new (going into 4th season), people expect that professional look, so I always tried to keep my equipment clean.

PS. Jay, feel free to touch base with me anytime if you would like to talk more about the mower. I live right in the Novi/Wixom area. 248 787 1846.

Thanks again for the feedback! It's very appreciated.
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 6
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcat1 View Post
Nnyparts,

PS. Jay, feel free to touch base with me anytime if you would like to talk more about the mower. I live right in the Novi/Wixom area. 248 787 1846.

Thanks again for the feedback! It's very appreciated.
Brian
Brian,

Great. I will give you a call.

Jay
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trade or not jeffery9076 Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 9 01-21-2010 05:52 PM
Trade Shows legendlawn General Talk 4 01-14-2010 11:54 AM
Trade Show? grasshopper fl Community Assistance 7 07-15-2009 11:03 AM
Working for trade Steve General Business Discussions 3 09-04-2007 06:33 PM
Trade in your mower - Get free mowing Steve General Business Discussions 0 04-04-2006 11:41 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
New company in Michigan
SEM
Today 09:27 PM
Today 09:27 PM
by SEM
0 8
maintandlawndispatch...
SGL1
04-21-2015 03:31 PM
Today 04:42 PM
by Steve
9 196
Lawn Care Service in...
Friscobob
Today 03:33 PM
Today 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 36
Big (to me) mulch job
tl757
Yesterday 05:32 PM
Today 04:39 PM
by Steve
4 101
Total yard rehab
SGL1
Yesterday 03:59 PM
Today 04:39 PM
by Steve
3 79
Thoughts on Undocumented...
element009
09-25-2011 11:08 AM
Yesterday 09:32 PM
by Chilehead
56 15,477
Hello Everyone
DesignsByBnC
04-22-2015 04:07 PM
Yesterday 02:19 PM
by DesignsByBnC
2 75
The upcoming rainy...
5StarLawnscaping
04-21-2015 01:22 PM
Yesterday 12:54 PM
by Steve
7 167
color fliers?
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:32 PM
Yesterday 12:50 PM
by Steve
12 333
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 12:41 AM
04-22-2015 07:04 PM
by Just for Cuts
59 2,498
WARNING! Especially to...
SC93
04-19-2015 12:05 PM
04-22-2015 01:39 PM
by Steve
14 400
Could be great news for...
SC93
04-14-2015 11:06 PM
04-22-2015 01:28 PM
by Steve
15 490
quick pic
joshlawncare
04-14-2015 07:49 PM
04-21-2015 05:01 PM
by joshlawncare
4 321
Got Inspected today
swstout
08-09-2010 10:31 PM
04-21-2015 03:53 PM
by SGL1
10 3,974
Smoked my first belt!
SGL1
04-20-2015 08:46 PM
04-21-2015 03:28 PM
by SGL1
4 147
Pictures of commercial...
avetslawncare
04-01-2015 09:47 PM
04-21-2015 12:47 PM
by Steve
25 992
lawn care business...
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:56 PM
04-21-2015 06:18 AM
by holymoly
3 238
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
04-21-2015 03:18 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
57 5,221
landscape insurance
clarkslawn
03-30-2015 10:14 PM
04-20-2015 10:02 PM
by SGL1
4 454
Poll & Discussion...
CHEESE2009
09-16-2011 06:16 PM
04-20-2015 08:20 PM
by avetslawncare
27 5,654
weed
avetslawncare
04-16-2015 07:56 PM
04-20-2015 01:08 PM
by Steve
4 247
Aerating / Dethaching...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
04-12-2015 07:53 PM
04-19-2015 08:49 PM
by Chilehead
17 584
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
04-19-2015 09:21 AM
by KJ90
8 993
bidding a cemetery....
NPM_LLC
03-28-2015 10:56 AM
04-19-2015 05:26 AM
by RSE
22 1,000
Hustler Raptor
SGL1
04-13-2015 09:27 PM
04-18-2015 07:53 AM
by SGL1
15 504
is craiglist good to...
JBENI
04-16-2015 11:11 AM
04-17-2015 10:25 PM
by Wolf4dk
11 402
Am I missing something...
googus
04-11-2015 06:33 PM
04-17-2015 08:01 PM
by avetslawncare
10 525
Hello
sonny54
04-16-2015 09:49 PM
04-17-2015 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 192
Unreal
Chilehead
04-09-2015 09:12 PM
04-17-2015 08:27 AM
by Chilehead
11 559
starting a lawn care...
JBENI
04-14-2015 09:03 AM
04-17-2015 08:03 AM
by JBENI
14 529
Finally got a warehouse
avetslawncare
03-12-2015 07:52 PM
04-16-2015 07:52 PM
by avetslawncare
23 1,356
New 14 x 7 Enclosed...
whitepropertydetail
04-15-2015 06:46 PM
04-16-2015 03:40 PM
by Steve
1 243
older used dump trucks
SECTLANDSCAPING
09-22-2011 12:33 AM
04-16-2015 12:41 PM
by biglee
21 8,044
Tax Poll
Steve
04-15-2015 02:13 PM
04-15-2015 02:13 PM
by Steve
0 234
lawn care by Aj
aj10261984
04-14-2015 06:50 PM
04-15-2015 01:43 PM
by Steve
2 262
Contact last years...
googus
01-28-2015 08:13 AM
04-15-2015 12:54 PM
by SC93
7 1,263
trying to sign up for...
JBENI
04-14-2015 10:20 AM
04-14-2015 12:11 PM
by Steve
1 710
Charging customers for...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
04-14-2015 07:34 AM
04-14-2015 10:35 AM
by Steve
1 294
New member
Jdlandscaping,LLC
04-11-2015 03:24 PM
04-14-2015 05:45 AM
by Jdlandscaping,LLC
2 324
hello
oasis_greenscapes
04-01-2015 06:18 PM
04-13-2015 12:03 PM
by Steve
8 563
New Member
Greenturion
04-11-2015 02:00 PM
04-13-2015 11:59 AM
by Steve
1 284
Client with...
OldSalt
04-07-2015 09:47 PM
04-13-2015 11:57 AM
by Steve
8 511
Getting rid of "mulched...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 04:21 PM
04-13-2015 11:26 AM
by biglee
3 321
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
04-13-2015 11:11 AM
by biglee
7 435
Billing methods
jcurr33
03-26-2015 01:33 PM
04-13-2015 11:07 AM
by biglee
15 940
Landscape Fabric
CurbAppeal1
04-10-2015 03:58 PM
04-13-2015 08:02 AM
by Chilehead
4 363
I lost a long term...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-04-2011 02:24 PM
04-12-2015 04:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
17 4,004
Snow removal contracts
CDLAWNCARE
03-31-2015 02:57 PM
04-10-2015 11:37 AM
by kslawn
6 587
Do you have medical...
Steve
09-10-2011 11:46 AM
04-10-2015 11:28 AM
by Steve
17 5,298
Shopping Centers
avetslawncare
04-07-2015 07:16 PM
04-10-2015 11:27 AM
by Steve
7 497
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping aerocore apartment bid apartment complex apartment lawn care estimate applying auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades bush collections deliquentaccounts design ditches employee problems equipment rental estimate ferris flyers foreman free advertising google grass growing a lawn care business hiring husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business seo lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets mr dave mulch new business per hour charge per hour service pricing pto push versus ride running a business secrets to landscaping sell the vision seo shell small engine repair snow plowing square foot starting a lawn care business steep lawns sulky theft toro grand stand trailer tree trimmer rack up sell employee web design website website design winterization
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy