Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Community Assistance

Community Assistance Community questions, comments, and suggestions. Problems posting? Email me.

Postcard marketing advice?


Community Assistance

Community questions, comments, and suggestions. Problems posting? Email me.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 AM
jklawncare's Avatar
jklawncare jklawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 577
Rep Power: 6
jklawncare is on a distinguished road
Default Postcard marketing advice?

I have had some postcards designed for me..decided..ill have someone else do the work for me..get myself out of my niche..

heres what he came up with
do you like them?
if you saw it stuck to your door..would you want to read it..

what dont you like, what would you change
what would a reader want to see..
__________________
Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
"Where Service is Always in Season"
Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:45 AM
jklawncare's Avatar
jklawncare jklawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 577
Rep Power: 6
jklawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
forgot the postcard..here you go..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg just_kutpostcard.jpg (538.6 KB, 644 views)
__________________
Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
"Where Service is Always in Season"
Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Growing Green Growing Green is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 323
Rep Power: 0
Growing Green is on a distinguished road
Default

WOW! Those are nice! Do you mind if I ask you who are making those for you?

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2010, 02:26 AM
jklawncare's Avatar
jklawncare jklawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 577
Rep Power: 6
jklawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growing Green View Post
WOW! Those are nice! Do you mind if I ask you who are making those for you?

Matt
Thanks is there anything you dislike? or would change?
typically i do my own designs but i have a design hump to get over..anything i come up with lately is bland and boring.

Im haveing plan it Graphics do it for me

i saw him on one of the posts on the forum so went over to his site.. i like one of his examples so much i asked him to almost mimmick it for me..he does amazing work..you can see it on his site..good prices too

hes specially for lawn care
he does have a seperate site for other printing though
__________________
Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
"Where Service is Always in Season"
Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 6
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklawncare View Post
Thanks is there anything you dislike? or would change?
I want to start by saying they are very nice looking and very well designed. I do however have a few thoughts for you.

1, What is your goal for this postcard? By the look of the discount you want more lawn clients. If this is the case I would taylor the advertisement to that specific service and not have a complete listing of your services. You can mention a few, but I would not have a complete list. Send them to your website or have them call if they want to know your other services.

2, You list all your services but where are the benefits for the homeowner to choose you to take care of their yard. Think like a home owner and not a business owner. To be blunt I have never had a homeowner choose my company because my advertisement was nice looking. There has to be more! People buy on benefits.

3, A discount can work, but you dont want to compete on price if you dont have to. There will always be some lowballer who will do it for less. A discount can make your phone ring, but why should they choose you, what are you going to do for them that the lowballer down the street wont??

Some things you could maybe add (not all are benefits): Are you licensed and insured, do you offer a satisfaction guarantee, maybe mention you are a local family owned business if you are, are you going to save them time, will you provide them with a lawn the neighbors will envy, etc.

This really depends on who your market is. Are your clients primary rich homeowners who dont want to cut thier lawn, or are they busy professionals or the elderly who dont have the time or cant cut their lawns. You can then focus your message to the specific demographic.


Jay
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM
jklawncare's Avatar
jklawncare jklawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 577
Rep Power: 6
jklawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbiz View Post
I want to start by saying they are very nice looking and very well designed. I do however have a few thoughts for you.

1, What is your goal for this postcard? By the look of the discount you want more lawn clients. If this is the case I would taylor the advertisement to that specific service and not have a complete listing of your services. You can mention a few, but I would not have a complete list. Send them to your website or have them call if they want to know your other services.

2, You list all your services but where are the benefits for the homeowner to choose you to take care of their yard. Think like a home owner and not a business owner. To be blunt I have never had a homeowner choose my company because my advertisement was nice looking. There has to be more! People buy on benefits.

3, A discount can work, but you dont want to compete on price if you dont have to. There will always be some lowballer who will do it for less. A discount can make your phone ring, but why should they choose you, what are you going to do for them that the lowballer down the street wont??

Some things you could maybe add (not all are benefits): Are you licensed and insured, do you offer a satisfaction guarantee, maybe mention you are a local family owned business if you are, are you going to save them time, will you provide them with a lawn the neighbors will envy, etc.

This really depends on who your market is. Are your clients primary rich homeowners who dont want to cut thier lawn, or are they busy professionals or the elderly who dont have the time or cant cut their lawns. You can then focus your message to the specific demographic.


Jay
thanks for the tough criticism i appreciate it ill put all those thoughts into modifying the design

im trying to pickup as many customers as possible while keeping my prices
i can let 10% go cause i have no virtual overhead
i could even raise my bid if i wanted
__________________
Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
"Where Service is Always in Season"
Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,566
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Your postcard looks great!

Quote:
2, You list all your services but where are the benefits for the homeowner to choose you to take care of their yard. Think like a home owner and not a business owner. To be blunt I have never had a homeowner choose my company because my advertisement was nice looking. There has to be more! People buy on benefits.
In the past, have you found the marketing of certain benefits worked better over others?

Would you have a top 3 or a top 5 list of benefits to point out that he could choose from?

A lot of times it can be very difficult to come up with benefits to offer.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 PM
jklawncare's Avatar
jklawncare jklawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 577
Rep Power: 6
jklawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Custom Packages is my main selling point
no one aruond here does it but me..so alot of ppl come to me for that.

also because i can offer more competetive prices however i dont low ball

i take the top 3 competitors around the area and i find out what they charge and how they do there work and i go a little cheaper than the middle one.

i dont want to lose my customer base when i grow and need more money because of the drastic increase in cost


I told him to include that on the post card so hopefully it will turn out better the second time then the fantastic job the first time ahaha..

I decided to get profesisonal printed ads because everyone around here uses a copier and runs off cheaper flyers like ive done..

im also wanting to open my services up to the richer neighborhoods so i think this will get some attraction..theyll remember my postcard over a piece of paper..thats why i was wanting it to look good


i limited my services to lawn maintenance weed removal seasonal cleanups and fertilization as these are all spring services and what most will be needing..

so to sum it up
i put the moeny out for advertising to get into the rich neighbor hoods

i slimmed my services down to the above

and i told him to include custom packages
no contracts and senior discounts as well as a satisfation guarantee

any other thoughts or ideas/
__________________
Just Kut Lawn and Landscape
"Where Service is Always in Season"
Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 6
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Your postcard looks great!



In the past, have you found the marketing of certain benefits worked better over others?

Would you have a top 3 or a top 5 list of benefits to point out that he could choose from?

A lot of times it can be very difficult to come up with benefits to offer.
Good question Steve! I think this really depends on who his client base is. My main client base is elderly homeowners and busy younger professionals so I try to stress what benefits that I think are important to them. I have a pretty bold satisfaction guarantee, I stress value and of course a lawn they can be proud of and the neighbors will envy. Most of my clients like to have the nicest lawn on the block and I try to sell to that. Things like I am licensed and insured and that I grew up in the neighborhood and have a vested interest in doing a top quality job to keep the neighborhood looking top notch. While all of these things are not directly benefits to the customer, they are things I use in my marketing.

My message will change depending on the marketing material, the offer and of course the media. I do something completely different in my PPC or newspaper adverts compared to a flyer or postcard.

As far as what seems to work best, well the satisfaction guarantee.


Jay
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 6
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklawncare View Post
Custom Packages is my main selling point
no one aruond here does it but me..so alot of ppl come to me for that.

also because i can offer more competetive prices however i dont low ball

i take the top 3 competitors around the area and i find out what they charge and how they do there work and i go a little cheaper than the middle one.

i dont want to lose my customer base when i grow and need more money because of the drastic increase in cost


I told him to include that on the post card so hopefully it will turn out better the second time then the fantastic job the first time ahaha..

I decided to get profesisonal printed ads because everyone around here uses a copier and runs off cheaper flyers like ive done..

im also wanting to open my services up to the richer neighborhoods so i think this will get some attraction..theyll remember my postcard over a piece of paper..thats why i was wanting it to look good


i limited my services to lawn maintenance weed removal seasonal cleanups and fertilization as these are all spring services and what most will be needing..

so to sum it up
i put the moeny out for advertising to get into the rich neighbor hoods

i slimmed my services down to the above

and i told him to include custom packages
no contracts and senior discounts as well as a satisfation guarantee

any other thoughts or ideas/
I like your ideas, I think you have a pretty strong looking postcard and it is sure to stand out from the poorly designed material most companies hand out. I can wait to see the reworded one.

If your clients are rich having a cheap price may not be the way to go. I would stress value, and professionalism. Wealthy clients in my area like a professional who does a top quality job and provides an excellent value for their services. In other words you may be able to charge a little more if you can sell your professionalism and customer service. In your case it seems you have a niche selling packages or services no one else offers. Usually in a niche you can charge a little extra because you specialize. I also found that competing on price doesn't build good customer relationships. As soon as the next guy who has a cheaper price comes along you are out of a job.

To add something about pricing and I am guilty of this also. When I started I figured I could charge less, not lowball but build a nice business because I had lower overhead then the bigger guys with their multiple crews and fancy new trucks. What I soon learned reading the message boards, books and internet guru sites was that if I ever want to grow bigger then the one man operation with a used truck, I need to charge pretty much what the other guys were. Having a cheaper price allows for you to get work faster, but when you need to expand, hire employees or buy new equipment you cant afford it because your pricing is out of sync with what would be needed to support the larger business. It really depends on your goals. I personally dont intent to stay a one-man operation.

I hope this helps.
Jay
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GopherHaul 35 - Lawn Care Business Postcard Marketing Ideas and Search Engine Tips Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 2 03-25-2010 05:02 AM
Marketing Advice Please Savesutime09 General Talk 18 01-06-2010 11:08 AM
GopherHaul 35 - Lawn Care Business Postcard Marketing Ideas and Search Engine Tips Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 05-14-2009 07:53 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
John Deere 667a
acrajchel
Today 10:00 AM
Today 10:07 AM
by acrajchel
1 27
Dane Scag
Steve
08-28-2015 12:29 PM
08-28-2015 12:29 PM
by Steve
0 63
24 and 50 acre cemetery...
grassmasterswilson
08-18-2015 10:09 AM
08-26-2015 02:42 PM
by Steve
13 499
Rookie business question...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-05-2015 05:20 PM
08-26-2015 02:33 PM
by Steve
3 381
How to clean an old...
rmccutchan
08-16-2015 05:23 PM
08-26-2015 02:31 PM
by Steve
9 383
how to make customers...
Bradcook21
05-27-2015 05:04 PM
08-26-2015 12:25 PM
by kslawn
19 3,698
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
08-25-2015 11:31 AM
by acrajchel
9 2,449
Big mowing job
Bradcook21
07-30-2015 03:57 PM
08-25-2015 11:23 AM
by acrajchel
17 954
ZTR Review
Shark1611
05-31-2012 10:42 PM
08-25-2015 11:16 AM
by acrajchel
8 3,726
Hi Everyone
mmays29
08-25-2015 08:16 AM
08-25-2015 11:15 AM
by Steve
3 103
Should I buy this Exmark...
googus
07-03-2015 09:22 AM
08-25-2015 11:08 AM
by acrajchel
11 1,158
Old Business New Owner
Toyman
06-17-2014 08:57 PM
08-25-2015 11:00 AM
by acrajchel
17 1,551
Hi everyone! We're new...
alltrades
08-22-2015 12:46 PM
08-24-2015 10:41 AM
by Steve
2 154
CAn I get some help with...
rootytalbot
08-11-2015 06:14 PM
08-24-2015 10:36 AM
by Steve
12 483
Hi
Wemowjunction
08-16-2015 08:45 PM
08-20-2015 01:46 PM
by Steve
11 384
Drive cable bad?
SGL1
08-10-2015 11:16 PM
08-20-2015 01:41 PM
by Steve
5 344
Hey there everyone
Cole8999
08-16-2015 04:42 PM
08-18-2015 04:35 PM
by Steve
3 236
Help with a truck
bdodson89
04-27-2015 08:15 PM
08-18-2015 11:47 AM
by rmccutchan
7 947
I need some aeration...
rootytalbot
08-14-2015 12:32 PM
08-18-2015 07:59 AM
by rootytalbot
7 361
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
08-17-2015 04:34 PM
by Steve
1,229 405,920
Whats wrong with this...
GreenWorx
07-28-2015 07:56 PM
08-16-2015 11:42 PM
by rmccutchan
3 575
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 11:54 AM
08-16-2015 11:09 PM
by SC93
16 1,213
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
08-14-2015 11:08 PM
by scaypa
95 11,425
New Biz
kufnerins
08-14-2015 05:52 PM
08-14-2015 08:56 PM
by Steve
1 202
Chemical and Fertilizer...
rmccutchan
08-09-2015 10:36 PM
08-13-2015 11:11 PM
by rmccutchan
6 388
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
08-13-2015 02:10 PM
by rootytalbot
12 2,053
Hello all thinking about...
bernie
08-11-2015 04:28 PM
08-13-2015 10:33 AM
by Steve
8 351
Logo Help Font Color
LZLC
08-08-2015 09:26 PM
08-12-2015 03:50 PM
by Steve
4 328
Pricing issue
Mr. Mow
07-07-2015 06:15 AM
08-12-2015 12:30 AM
by Jeff1
20 1,786
My new mower
Chilehead
08-08-2015 09:09 PM
08-11-2015 08:36 PM
by Chilehead
9 490
Thought this was a good...
Just for Cuts
08-06-2015 03:38 PM
08-11-2015 10:54 AM
by Steve
8 493
Plowing pricing
jcurr33
08-08-2015 04:58 PM
08-11-2015 10:51 AM
by Steve
6 454
Should I upgrade my back...
googus
08-07-2015 10:50 AM
08-11-2015 10:44 AM
by googus
7 419
Keeping it clean....
Wolf4dk
08-09-2015 11:31 PM
08-11-2015 06:34 AM
by Chilehead
7 346
I have been rude and...
biglee
06-15-2015 10:11 PM
08-10-2015 09:41 PM
by stallman419
12 2,730
Newbie Saying Hi.
LZLC
08-08-2015 09:22 PM
08-10-2015 11:20 AM
by Steve
1 243
How much do I charge to...
Chris Herrera
08-06-2015 09:30 PM
08-09-2015 11:31 AM
by biglee
2 385
scag SWZT review!
mattthelawnguy
07-23-2015 02:28 PM
08-07-2015 03:26 PM
by Steve
17 1,120
Best commercial contract...
sanlanct
08-04-2015 12:18 PM
08-06-2015 06:20 AM
by sanlanct
2 375
I came across this on a...
rootytalbot
08-02-2015 11:04 AM
08-05-2015 08:17 PM
by SC93
9 616
Help bidding a hedge...
hopolb33
08-02-2015 06:09 PM
08-05-2015 02:07 PM
by Steve
3 418
recycler toro 22"
rvezakis
08-03-2015 12:10 PM
08-04-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
1 296
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping advertising aerocore applying bark billy goat brushcutter blowout bob villa bush collections contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts demonstration design door hangers edging employee problems equipment dealer equipment rental facebook free lawn care google growing a lawn care business hiring how to hydro increase customers jobs landscape landscaping landscaping training lawn aeration lawn care lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets more customers business mr dave mulch new business ordinance past due per hour charge per hour service plowing pricing profit on employee roundup scag secrets to landscaping sell the vision seo shell shreaded solo solo backpack sprayer sq ft square foot swzt tree tree pics up sell employee walk behind web design website website design winterization wood www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy