Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Winter again


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,511
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

How about Christmas tree removal after the holidays?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How about Christmas tree removal after the holidays?
Not a bad idea. I wander how I would work it? Call the landfill and ask what their fee is and mark up from there?
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 PM
TheGoat TheGoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 5
TheGoat is on a distinguished road
Default

This is my first year operating a lawn service but during the summer I set myself some "winter tasks" as I had some time to think while I was behind my mower. First was to develop some post cards for advertising, I did that. 2nd was to create a web presence for my business. I did that. Now I am working on driving traffic to my site and that is a work in progress. link building as well as advertising in a couple of different places on a pay per click basis. Generating income during the winter so I have to judge it as a win so far. once I have the site traffic on auto pilot I'm going to go back to learning more about the ag in my area and focus on getting my applicators license, though I'm mowing less, I've found that theres still lots to do in the "off season" here in Florida.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-22-2010, 12:17 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 905
Rep Power: 7
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

Make sure you get listed on every yellow pages site you can find. Google search for them there are many business directories out there also. Many of them are free and all you need to do is put a logo from them on your website.
  • Yellowpages.com
  • magicyellow.com
  • superpages.com
  • yellowbook.com

Also get listed on each of the search engines in the places part of them:
  • google places
  • google maps
  • yahoo maps
  • bing maps

Look into merchantcircle.com. Also check into your local chamber of commerce they have many things to offer small businesses. Plus its a way to get to meet other business owners in your area. You just might get to do work for some of them. Most of them meet once or twice a month. After you have been in business a couple years join the Better Business Bureau in your area. People see their logo on your site and it gives you so much more credibility. It shows satisfaction in your work. I will be able to join them in 2011 and cant wait. Submit the site to the search engines.

I use print advertising too. Our local pennysaver has an annual business directory that they publish every year. I placed our logo in it with the yellow color to it and when you open that page it just explodes and you have no choice but to look at it. I expect that to be a big plus for us in the spring. I attached the page it is on so you can see the difference to just using a logo ad instead of just a normal word listing.

This year I will also be getting exposure at a local 18 hole golf course in our area. They get 40,000 rounds of golf a year and my advertising logo will be on the score cards the golfers use. That will cost me $395 for the whole year. I get a couple mulch jobs from it and the ad is paid for along with the payroll & supplies to do those jobs.

The other thing I do, the pennysaver has a section they call business directory, in the weekly pennysaver the whole page is for businesses to have their business card or small ad on a bulletin board looking page of the paper. You get 13 weeks for $20 a week. That reaches every resident in the whole town and village.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LUNCHESRUS LANDSCAPE LOGO6.jpg (266.6 KB, 2 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan_Doc0013.pdf (688.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by jymie; 12-22-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,511
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
This year I will also be getting exposure at a local 18 hole golf course in our area.
That is very interesting! What got you to consider and go with this advertising method?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Growing Green Growing Green is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 323
Rep Power: 0
Growing Green is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymie View Post
Make sure you get listed on every yellow pages site you can find. Google search for them there are many business directories out there also. Many of them are free and all you need to do is put a logo from them on your website.
  • Yellowpages.com
  • magicyellow.com
  • superpages.com
  • yellowbook.com

Also get listed on each of the search engines in the places part of them:
  • google places
  • google maps
  • yahoo maps
  • bing maps

Look into merchantcircle.com. Also check into your local chamber of commerce they have many things to offer small businesses. Plus its a way to get to meet other business owners in your area. You just might get to do work for some of them. Most of them meet once or twice a month. After you have been in business a couple years join the Better Business Bureau in your area. People see their logo on your site and it gives you so much more credibility. It shows satisfaction in your work. I will be able to join them in 2011 and cant wait. Submit the site to the search engines.

I use print advertising too. Our local pennysaver has an annual business directory that they publish every year. I placed our logo in it with the yellow color to it and when you open that page it just explodes and you have no choice but to look at it. I expect that to be a big plus for us in the spring. I attached the page it is on so you can see the difference to just using a logo ad instead of just a normal word listing.

This year I will also be getting exposure at a local 18 hole golf course in our area. They get 40,000 rounds of golf a year and my advertising logo will be on the score cards the golfers use. That will cost me $395 for the whole year. I get a couple mulch jobs from it and the ad is paid for along with the payroll & supplies to do those jobs.

The other thing I do, the pennysaver has a section they call business directory, in the weekly pennysaver the whole page is for businesses to have their business card or small ad on a bulletin board looking page of the paper. You get 13 weeks for $20 a week. That reaches every resident in the whole town and village.
Thanks for this info! Really good stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,511
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I was thinking of working with indoor gardens
At first I missed this part but I bet there is work in it. I could see offering indoor plant care to offices and corporate centers as an important service. It could also potentially help you make contacts and in the future get their lawn care jobs as well.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
At first I missed this part but I bet there is work in it. I could see offering indoor plant care to offices and corporate centers as an important service. It could also potentially help you make contacts and in the future get their lawn care jobs as well.
Thats my hope Steve. Seems it would be a year round service to me. I am working on the plans now to build a beautiful tropical garden with water fall and all just inside the office door.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 905
Rep Power: 7
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That is very interesting! What got you to consider and go with this advertising method?
I was approached by an advertising agent for the golf course through the phone. What sold me was the cost of it. $395 for the whole year is awesome. There will be 21 total ads on the back of the score card. Mine being yellow for the most part I think will draw most of the attention when the back is looked at. With 40,000 rounds of golf a year at this particular golf course, I had to see what may come of it. If I get 1% business from it that will mean 400 new customers. I'll be hiring more employees then.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,511
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I am working on the plans now to build a beautiful tropical garden with water fall and all just inside the office door.
I'd love to see some pictures of that!

Could you also mix in your love of reptiles too? Is there a way you could have an area where they could live?

Quote:
If I get 1% business from it that will mean 400 new customers. I'll be hiring more employees then.
Keep us posted on how all that goes and if you decide to do it again next year.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
winter ideas TheFallGuy General Talk 1 12-01-2010 09:18 AM
Now that its winter! Local Edge Lawn Care Introduce Yourself 15 11-25-2010 04:03 PM
Over the winter.... picframer General Talk 11 10-11-2009 06:20 PM
Winter Storage tomcat172002 General Talk 1 10-20-2008 10:19 PM
Winter in FL gman Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 13 11-04-2006 08:38 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
Today 04:49 PM
by WesleySnips
3 258
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
Today 01:47 PM
by The Hunter
3 417
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 01:41 PM
Today 01:39 PM
by Steve
5 162
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Today 01:33 PM
by Steve
9 728
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
Today 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 354
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
Yesterday 06:20 AM
Today 01:25 PM
by Steve
3 151
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
Today 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 326
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 01:59 PM
Today 01:19 PM
by Steve
1 101
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
Today 01:17 PM
by Steve
9 264
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Today 08:51 AM
by ringahding1
12 1,464
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
Today 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,284
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
Yesterday 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 610
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
Yesterday 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 460
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,308
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
Yesterday 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 222
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,768
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,273
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 185
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 258
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 702
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,147
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 439
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 276
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 622
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 924
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,277
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 656
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 340,025
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 370
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,465
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,484
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,565
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 507
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 669
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 504
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 856
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,486
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 818
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,630
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 1,044
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 949
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 592
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 582
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,114
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
10-09-2014 04:19 PM
by Just for Cuts
25 2,992
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
10-09-2014 02:21 PM
by Steve
25 3,629
Changing Scag Freedom Z...
maggiedavidson
10-06-2014 12:24 PM
10-08-2014 06:34 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 833
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 02:45 PM
10-07-2014 04:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 813
Good Mower
jack2048
10-04-2014 05:34 PM
10-07-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
7 893
Mulching fad killing...
Tree geek
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
by Tree geek
0 708
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying bob villa bush charge christmas commercial deliquentaccounts demonstration employee problems exmark ferris first truck georgia gopherhaul gravely hardscapes holiday honda how much to charge how to hydraulic landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business book lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic monthly mowing mulch mulch price new business patio install podcast property management company push versus ride savannah scag scag v-ride seo shell snow plowing starting a business starting a lawn care business start up lawn care business steep lawns stihl sulky toro tractor auger trailer mate pro tree truck new used landscape walker won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy