Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Setting prices in your area?


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-03-2010, 04:05 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default Setting prices in your area?

How do you do it? I mean I dont care how good the work is some people, a lot of people for that matter just refuse to pay $40 per week to have there lawn mowed, If you can not remain competitive with other operators you wont last long. The only thing I could think of is to put the truck out on the farm and call the local guys to come give me a quote. I can take the highest and lowest quote and shoot for the middle however I have never once had a local lawn care company call me back or return emails. Any advice on how to get them out to get quotes or what other methods to set your price?
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM
MMYardService MMYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 6
MMYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Funny you should say this.. I just started asking back a few months ago, and you will be suprized what people will tell you when you catch them off guard.. Just ask them (1) Have you had service prior to now? (2) How much did they charge you?

I would say about 80% will answer you .. And tell you what you need to do so that you can keep them happy.

Matt


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
How do you do it? I mean I dont care how good the work is some people, a lot of people for that matter just refuse to pay $40 per week to have there lawn mowed, If you can not remain competitive with other operators you wont last long. The only thing I could think of is to put the truck out on the farm and call the local guys to come give me a quote. I can take the highest and lowest quote and shoot for the middle however I have never once had a local lawn care company call me back or return emails. Any advice on how to get them out to get quotes or what other methods to set your price?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

well thats the hard part, i have one account who had it done before and i already know that price. the others are comercial who use to have employees do it. sence calls are not coming in i have nobody to ask what they were paying.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 PM
MMYardService MMYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 6
MMYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
well thats the hard part, i have one account who had it done before and i already know that price. the others are comercial who use to have employees do it. sence calls are not coming in i have nobody to ask what they were paying.
I break them down and use a multiplier... So for example, a 16 building apartment complex, I figure out in detail how long it will take to Mow, Edge, Trim, Cust Bushes and the price for each then I multiply by the number of buildings...

Once you start to break it down, then you can add in cost for blades, wire, maintance labor, and start to figure out the real cost of what things are going to take you to get them done..

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,828
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Funny you should say this.. I just started asking back a few months ago, and you will be suprized what people will tell you when you catch them off guard.. Just ask them (1) Have you had service prior to now? (2) How much did they charge you?
What got you to start asking this question?

Also what kinds of funny things have you heard them say?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 AM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMYardService View Post
I break them down and use a multiplier... So for example, a 16 building apartment complex, I figure out in detail how long it will take to Mow, Edge, Trim, Cust Bushes and the price for each then I multiply by the number of buildings...

Once you start to break it down, then you can add in cost for blades, wire, maintance labor, and start to figure out the real cost of what things are going to take you to get them done..

Matt
The thing is I am not having trouble with commercial properties. I usually tell them $35 per hour flat rate unless its a one time small job then I just pretty much spit out what I want to make. The problem is residential properties. If the going rate is $15 per lawn then no way in hell am I going to get work charging $40. None of the local guys will call me back to see what they charge and no customers will even call let alone let me ask what they are paying now.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 10
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

What other services can you offer, you know how to do, that may require an additional piece of equipment, that clients may or do want? Even if you had to rent something until the cash flow and profit was there to buy a piece of your own.

We now have very few lawn care contracts, the ones I have are very large in size, I sold over 90 accounts about two months ago as I found the serious money was in other services homeowners need, demand is there, we had the equipment or I simply bought it.

At this stage, when it comes to a property there is not one thing we do not offer when it comes to landscaping/yardcare/hardscaping. It's October and we are still pressure washing, I had to shut that down in mid September last year due to the temps, I had four staff all weekend doing nothing but pressure washing and at least here there is serious money in this.

The requests for garden tilling are pouring in but as I posted in another thread we are not taking additional jobs this season, we simply can't.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 AM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

As far as what I can do, well I can do pretty much anything the dosent require a license from the state. I know what you mean about larger jobs. I have been focusing on those as well. My smallest lawn I do now is 1/2 acre. The largest is about an acre, maybe a bit more and the absolute largest job I am doing or have ever done is clear cutting a half mile of river bank, larger jobs really do pay better but in my area they are few and far between. The half acre I do every 2 weeks from Spring until Fall, the 1 acre I do once per month from winter until spring and the biggest job the county will only allocate $500 per month for that so I can not count on that to pay the bills as that's only one hard days work or 2 lazy days work each month.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 PM
MMYardService MMYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 6
MMYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What got you to start asking this question?

Also what kinds of funny things have you heard them say?
I don't know why I started asking. I beleave it was a large apartment complex that I really really wanted so I ask, what do you want to pay?

I got one account cause the guys kept mowing and getting grass in the dog water bowl.. So I just have the water bowl refilled after every mow.. He has called serveral time to tell me how he can't belease my crew takes time to check the dogs water and refill it..

I had another account tell me that the city kept getting on to him cause the ally way was not mowed.. So I make sure that it gets done everytime.

They tell you the little things that you need to know about then, but that for some reason they never would have told you. They give me crazy prices also.. I have one lady with a 100 sq ft yard getting charged $65 a week to mow it.. and When I told her that I would do it for $25 I thought she was going to cry.

Just start asking and you will get some good information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
The thing is I am not having trouble with commercial properties. I usually tell them $35 per hour flat rate unless its a one time small job then I just pretty much spit out what I want to make. The problem is residential properties. If the going rate is $15 per lawn then no way in hell am I going to get work charging $40. None of the local guys will call me back to see what they charge and no customers will even call let alone let me ask what they are paying now.
I had a few areas like that also.. You just do not know.. The way to do it.. Is to figure you want to loose 10-15% of all your bids.. This makes sure that you are not over priced but that you are not to under priced... So just drop the price to $35 .. then try again.. If you start getting every bid, go up to $38 ... If you loose the next two ten drop a little again..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2010, 07:20 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 10
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
As far as what I can do, well I can do pretty much anything the dosent require a license from the state. I know what you mean about larger jobs. I have been focusing on those as well. My smallest lawn I do now is 1/2 acre. The largest is about an acre, maybe a bit more and the absolute largest job I am doing or have ever done is clear cutting a half mile of river bank, larger jobs really do pay better but in my area they are few and far between. The half acre I do every 2 weeks from Spring until Fall, the 1 acre I do once per month from winter until spring and the biggest job the county will only allocate $500 per month for that so I can not count on that to pay the bills as that's only one hard days work or 2 lazy days work each month.
OK, this may sound stupid but I am out of the box in marketing, we all have clients that are special to us, we also have friends in our network and we all need to make money. Ask the clients you are comfortable with a simple question "I am looking at expanding my business and what I offer as I can do a lot of things, what do you think would be a good idea?" Corney, perhaps, does it work, YES, your clients know what they want, we know what they need, there is a bridge and if you find it, you will have the business you need.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hourly Prices? and Acre Prices? Paradise Lawn and Pool General Business Discussions 0 03-10-2008 10:02 AM
How are house prices in your area? Steve General Talk 4 07-31-2007 11:23 PM
What are the gas prices in your area? Steve General Talk 4 07-24-2007 08:06 PM
Setting customer specific prices. Steve Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 0 05-08-2006 05:17 PM
Service Prices by Area Lawn Magic Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 06-11-2003 12:37 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
"Part Timers", "Low...
doug1980
06-10-2009 12:55 PM
Today 09:01 PM
by jrs.landscaping
43 10,193
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
Today 07:35 PM
by avetslawncare
42 15,908
Looking for advice on...
berryjam
01-21-2015 07:37 PM
Today 07:30 PM
by avetslawncare
11 309
Is anyone doing mosquito...
BWild
Today 12:30 PM
Today 07:24 PM
by avetslawncare
4 63
Government contracts
avetslawncare
11-15-2014 08:50 AM
Today 07:06 PM
by avetslawncare
5 719
Bidding to get other work
Rodriguez11
07-21-2011 11:52 PM
Today 05:38 PM
by avetslawncare
28 9,328
What happened to Better...
Steve
01-27-2014 04:07 PM
Today 02:17 PM
by Steve
19 3,060
TaskEasy & Plowz & Mowz...
jrwalker333
01-25-2015 01:02 PM
Today 02:14 PM
by Steve
5 129
New to the forum
LCRobert
Yesterday 10:21 PM
Today 01:31 PM
by Steve
3 59
New to group
ron@alpine
Today 08:45 AM
Today 01:29 PM
by Steve
1 38
please Help with none...
Lawnboyman1170
01-09-2015 09:46 AM
Today 01:27 PM
by Steve
13 547
How many contracts...
5StarLawnscaping
01-12-2015 03:51 PM
Today 07:55 AM
by ringahding1
9 484
does this sound good or...
Bradcook21
01-22-2015 09:24 AM
Today 07:42 AM
by ringahding1
9 275
second year advise
cmdlawncare
01-23-2015 06:22 PM
Today 07:31 AM
by ringahding1
6 214
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 11:41 AM
01-25-2015 09:34 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 512
need advise
rawssrob
02-23-2010 02:45 PM
01-23-2015 06:40 PM
by cmdlawncare
7 2,545
New to forum
ROB N
01-23-2015 08:35 AM
01-23-2015 01:53 PM
by Steve
1 114
Extending the life of...
rmccutchan
01-17-2015 12:37 AM
01-23-2015 01:43 PM
by Steve
8 338
osceola lawn service
jasa@wildblue.net
01-22-2015 03:23 PM
01-23-2015 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 134
Tax Question
Wolf4dk
01-20-2015 01:11 AM
01-22-2015 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 249
Billy Goat Vac
Mr. Mow
01-19-2015 07:42 AM
01-22-2015 02:18 PM
by Steve
6 243
Property Pricing
GVL
01-19-2015 02:46 PM
01-21-2015 02:18 PM
by Steve
5 295
Landscapers Source For...
breadcrumb
01-16-2015 02:44 PM
01-21-2015 05:55 AM
by breadcrumb
14 451
Hoa advice
Bradcook21
01-16-2015 09:36 PM
01-20-2015 04:30 PM
by Steve
4 279
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 07:51 PM
01-20-2015 10:16 AM
by biglee
16 629
How to beat the pre pay...
stansg1fresh
01-13-2015 04:33 PM
01-19-2015 03:38 PM
by ringahding1
3 351
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
01-19-2015 01:37 PM
by Steve
12 1,131
Hi from Illinois
burtle
01-02-2015 09:46 PM
01-19-2015 01:22 PM
by Steve
3 521
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
01-19-2015 01:20 PM
by Steve
14 1,448
Lost my @#$ blower
stevef1201
01-11-2015 08:31 AM
01-17-2015 02:21 PM
by lxarth
2 379
Another Illinoisan.....
barhopper
01-11-2015 05:38 PM
01-16-2015 04:29 PM
by Steve
10 437
marketing with pizza...
apmAkron
01-15-2015 09:57 AM
01-15-2015 06:29 PM
by Steve
4 266
CRM and Quickbooks?
5StarLawnscaping
01-15-2015 08:06 AM
01-15-2015 08:06 AM
by 5StarLawnscaping
0 192
New Member, Indiana Iraq...
Timbo
07-14-2011 09:44 AM
01-14-2015 06:14 PM
by Steve
10 3,798
check this box truck out!
BLAZIER-1991
01-07-2015 07:40 PM
01-13-2015 03:06 PM
by biglee
8 638
My community only ad...
googus
01-12-2015 09:55 AM
01-13-2015 02:44 PM
by Steve
5 327
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 09:07 AM
01-13-2015 09:37 AM
by Chilehead
18 1,806
use a small business...
BLAZIER-1991
12-25-2014 12:21 AM
01-12-2015 06:32 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
30 1,570
tips on creating a...
BLAZIER-1991
01-08-2015 07:22 PM
01-12-2015 06:19 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
4 467
During Your Down Time
achri12
12-24-2014 03:03 PM
01-12-2015 03:54 PM
by Steve
10 1,098
Leaf cleanup
Bradcook21
01-09-2015 02:21 PM
01-12-2015 12:22 PM
by Jamesw86
4 439
Has Anyone Used Plowz ?
dpld
01-08-2014 12:14 PM
01-11-2015 02:17 PM
by burtle
20 3,390
What to pay help
Bradcook21
01-07-2015 01:32 PM
01-08-2015 07:01 PM
by Steve
1 472
Need a trailer
googus
01-07-2015 09:40 AM
01-08-2015 10:24 AM
by Upscale2
7 587
Do you guys charge buy...
burtle
01-02-2015 09:58 PM
01-07-2015 08:37 PM
by Shark1611
14 943
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 07:05 PM
01-07-2015 07:05 PM
by greyhound
18 2,177
Need advice please
CHenricks
01-06-2015 01:17 AM
01-07-2015 03:34 PM
by Steve
4 549
Mowing 2 acres
Bradcook21
01-05-2015 03:13 PM
01-07-2015 03:32 PM
by Steve
9 692
Ideas on a large bid
Knaubone
12-21-2014 11:57 AM
01-06-2015 03:55 PM
by Steve
5 999
Trailer with 4ft sides...
mayala030292
01-02-2015 09:01 PM
01-06-2015 03:33 PM
by Steve
5 639
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades bob villa care collections commercial edging employee problems equipment rental estimate flyers foreman four wheel drive gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills hiring husqvarna hydraulic john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn aeration lawn care lawn care business lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mr dave new mower ordinance past due patio install per hour charge podcast pricing profit on employee pto push versus ride running a business savannah scag v-ride scripts search engine optimization seo shell small engine repair square foot steve toro grand stand trailer tree trimmer rack truck new used landscape up sell employee web design won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy