Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Lawn Care Employees Discussions

Lawn Care Employees Discussions Discussions on lawn care employee related issues.

When Short Employees on a site


Lawn Care Employees Discussions

Discussions on lawn care employee related issues.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default When Short Employees on a site

Train the client I have actually done this a few times, had to again today. Client is Rob, never sat on a tractor in his life, within 10 min he was operating like a champ and loved it.....love that free labor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rob1.jpg (137.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg rob2.jpg (156.8 KB, 31 views)
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,595
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Andy,

There is no doubt in my mind, he was in heaven! Look at that grin on his face! You know he is enjoying this.

How does having the homeowner using your equipment effect your insurance? What would happen if he were to get hurt?

Also, I could potentially see how a homeowner who did this would come to you at the end of the day and say, since I did such and such work, could you give me a discount? If you were to run into this, what would be the best way to handle it?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Andy,

There is no doubt in my mind, he was in heaven! Look at that grin on his face! You know he is enjoying this.

How does having the homeowner using your equipment effect your insurance? What would happen if he were to get hurt?

Also, I could potentially see how a homeowner who did this would come to you at the end of the day and say, since I did such and such work, could you give me a discount? If you were to run into this, what would be the best way to handle it?
I am certified to train you on CUTS, Excavators and Skid steers and trust me my eye is on you all the time, and i can read people.

This is also a marketing tactic.

They are covered by my insurance.

Homeowner asks for a discount??? My reply would be I just saved you money, you had the time of the life, I was thinking I should ask for a few more bucks.....in short no discount, if you want to help speed the process and be part of that, I welcome it however this is a set price contract, if by the hour, I would have wanted for a trained staff member as they are five times as fast.

We watched a skid steer landscape a house next to us and build a driveway, then I said Rob, the rock is here, let me show you how our driveways look, OMG ours was the Audi of the street and even the owner of the other house asked if I could touch his up which i did as the landscaping company he hired was still there....this made my day!
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
brian'slawncare brian'slawncare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 380
Rep Power: 5
brian'slawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

That sounds like a great way for them to come back to you if they ever needed anything done again. If you had to choose paying the same price between two companies and one lets you have fun? I'd choose the one with the fun.

What made you think of this?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,595
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Andy,

I would think every guy out there would love to get involved a bit like this. Is this something that you can market, just in case it's the one thing that pushes your company over the edge?

Is this something you can tell a potential customer that they could even help out if they liked? Or maybe have this on your website or brochure?

Would the adults enjoy a tshirt as well? We have talked about how the kids do, but if the adult is driving the tractor, maybe throwing them a shirt would really stand out.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2010, 05:24 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Andy,

I would think every guy out there would love to get involved a bit like this. Is this something that you can market, just in case it's the one thing that pushes your company over the edge?

Is this something you can tell a potential customer that they could even help out if they liked? Or maybe have this on your website or brochure?

Would the adults enjoy a tshirt as well? We have talked about how the kids do, but if the adult is driving the tractor, maybe throwing them a shirt would really stand out.
Steve, I would never market this or every guy on the street would be calling, I am very selective who is allowed to operate any of my gear and it is very rare that I would let a customer. I have been on this site for a week, the owner has become a friend....long story but we know a lot of people in common, we discovered this over pizza at lunch.

I see this as a marketing idea in many ways, involve the client which I will do in just about every way we can, you will not believe the referrals, you are all of a sudden the best person in the world but we have to be very careful who we let operate what.

We were at a site early this year, father of the client lived with them, I think he was 80, anyhow what a super person, although I could have done it myself and I forget what it was, I said Gene, I need to show you how to operate my excavator so that I can do...whatever it was, I helped him up in the seat, gave him basic instructions, I forget what it was but I know it was a task a kid could do. From that he told everybody he knew about his experience and man the calls for work just poured in.

Every child on a clients site receives a shirt or hat, I gave the client operating the tractor above a hat, I have a box of kids shirts, boy's and girls behind my seat and all kids get a ride.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian'slawncare View Post
That sounds like a great way for them to come back to you if they ever needed anything done again. If you had to choose paying the same price between two companies and one lets you have fun? I'd choose the one with the fun.

What made you think of this?
What made me think of this......I have yet to run into a boy/girl/man/lady, who, although they might not admit it, would throw the suit in the corner jump on a machine and get dirty. I think for the most part it's the kid in us all, which is why I love my work so much, I play in the dirt every day and make money at it.

If I was doing a job at your house and showed you how to help me, say use my excavator to do something....my network just increased as I know you would tell just about every person you know.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2010, 11:09 AM
B-2 Lawncare B-2 Lawncare is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0
B-2 Lawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

I would never let a client run a piece of my equipment, no matter how short of help I was. I won't let a new guy run anything but a weed-eater or a snow shovel until they have proven themselves to me. I can size up people very fast, I have 12 years as a supervisor in the oil-fields and have been in charge of millions of dollars worth of equipment and the guys who ran it. I was the guy on site, billing and dealing with the client. I had to be able to make snap decisions with millions of dollars on the line. Its all about money: time not spent pumping = money. So I run my bussiness like I ran my crew and equipment in the patch. If we aren't working than I am not making money. I have a time-line for each job and try to give a little leeway in my time-line for that job. I map out each week Monday to Friday. and in that week, each job is allotted so much time. My guys know this and work hard to stay within the plan for the week.

Letting a client on a piece of equipment might put a smile on their face but its going to slow me down. And I don't care how well you watch someone, it only takes a split second to have an accident. I'm assuming that because he doesn't have safety glasses or a hardhat on, he isn't wearing a seat-belt either. What would happen if that guy went really fast and came to a sudden stop? That rock on the box scraper could kill him. I am sure that if you have a competent operator on there that it is not an issue, but with a guy who has never run equipment.... (SAFETY FIRST). I would hate to have to explain to OSHA that I was letting an unskilled client run a piece of equipment without proper safety equipment, insurance and training.

My clients hire me for three reasons: One, they don't want to do it or they don't have the time to do it themselves. Two, they don't have the equipment to do it, and three, they don't have the skill to do it. I don't mind a client looking in on what we are doing or even asking to change something, but if they come into the working area then work stops. Not worth the risk in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2 Lawncare View Post
I would never let a client run a piece of my equipment, no matter how short of help I was. I won't let a new guy run anything but a weed-eater or a snow shovel until they have proven themselves to me. I can size up people very fast, I have 12 years as a supervisor in the oil-fields and have been in charge of millions of dollars worth of equipment and the guys who ran it. I was the guy on site, billing and dealing with the client. I had to be able to make snap decisions with millions of dollars on the line. Its all about money: time not spent pumping = money. So I run my bussiness like I ran my crew and equipment in the patch. If we aren't working than I am not making money. I have a time-line for each job and try to give a little leeway in my time-line for that job. I map out each week Monday to Friday. and in that week, each job is allotted so much time. My guys know this and work hard to stay within the plan for the week.

Letting a client on a piece of equipment might put a smile on their face but its going to slow me down. And I don't care how well you watch someone, it only takes a split second to have an accident. I'm assuming that because he doesn't have safety glasses or a hardhat on, he isn't wearing a seat-belt either. What would happen if that guy went really fast and came to a sudden stop? That rock on the box scraper could kill him. I am sure that if you have a competent operator on there that it is not an issue, but with a guy who has never run equipment.... (SAFETY FIRST). I would hate to have to explain to OSHA that I was letting an unskilled client run a piece of equipment without proper safety equipment, insurance and training.

My clients hire me for three reasons: One, they don't want to do it or they don't have the time to do it themselves. Two, they don't have the equipment to do it, and three, they don't have the skill to do it. I don't mind a client looking in on what we are doing or even asking to change something, but if they come into the working area then work stops. Not worth the risk in my book.
I respect your opinion but totally disagree.

I do all the commercial demo's for John Deere and I let people run machines that cost up to $240,000 who have little to no experience.

I have 18 employees whom I have trained, it's not rocket science to operate any of this gear and what I am doing must be working I started this company in April of last year, I have been offered 1.6 million for it, letting kids, clients etc operate your equipment is a marketing tool, if you don't see it that way, that is cool, but I know what works.

When I am getting $165.00 an hour on a site, I couldn't;t care less how fast or slow the client is, and since I have been operating this gear for over 32 years mainly as a hobby, and built multi million dollar companies, I too can read people.

Hard Hats on a CUT, that is not even an OSHA requirement, and he DOES have a seat belt on, this tractor will not even start until it is enguaged....
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Last edited by picframer; 10-02-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
MountainViewGreenskeeper's Avatar
MountainViewGreenskeeper MountainViewGreenskeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 473
Rep Power: 5
MountainViewGreenskeeper is on a distinguished road
Default

Well im not sure gettin gin the middle of this is the best of ideas but an outsider looking this is what I have to say. In a way you are both right but each individual is going to run things the way they see fit.

I personaly I wouldnt let a customer run a piece of equipment. Especialy on that size. I too barely trust new employees to do so.

I also do not see that rock moving unless the CUT rolls over. Granted I have maybe only 200 hrs on similar equipment not enough to really call experience, but I doubt the tractor can get going fast enough followed by the rapid stop you stated to cause movement.

Enjoy your sunday gentlemen.
__________________
Colton
Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I woke up this morning and announced "ah, this is going to be a short day" mark123 Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. 3 04-30-2010 12:01 PM
Turn Long URL into Short Ones pnplawn Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions. 1 10-23-2007 07:07 PM
A short video on a lco Steve General Talk 2 08-29-2007 07:13 PM
Behind the Scenes of my short film UnitedEnvironment.com General Talk 8 07-23-2007 12:00 AM
Wordy or short but sweet ads? Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 0 01-15-2007 11:11 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Contract or no contract?
TRV
Today 09:18 PM
Today 09:18 PM
by TRV
0 9
Billboards for marketing
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-16-2014 08:39 PM
Today 09:17 PM
by Chilehead
10 253
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
Yesterday 03:27 PM
Today 06:44 PM
by Dan Tanner
4 103
New website
Chilehead
Today 04:39 PM
Today 06:40 PM
by Dan Tanner
1 29
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 12:45 PM
Today 04:35 PM
by Chilehead
14 5,863
How to: Use Thumbtack...
acrajchel
11-17-2014 06:39 PM
Today 02:55 PM
by biglee
14 361
What is going on with...
biglee
11-14-2014 03:04 PM
Today 02:50 PM
by biglee
40 823
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
Today 01:56 PM
by AGPS
7 174
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
Yesterday 05:34 PM
by Steve
14 375
My advice for new guys
avetslawncare
11-15-2014 09:32 AM
Yesterday 01:47 PM
by biglee
10 377
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
10-23-2014 02:23 PM
Yesterday 12:39 PM
by acrajchel
28 1,753
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 10:19 PM
11-18-2014 04:24 PM
by acrajchel
14 1,371
Leaf removal
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 05:14 PM
11-17-2014 07:34 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,125
sod job
SGlawncare
10-30-2014 09:21 PM
11-17-2014 07:10 PM
by acrajchel
7 694
Customer wants me to...
Mr. Mow
11-09-2014 07:13 AM
11-17-2014 06:48 PM
by acrajchel
10 437
Hello!
Brian3137
11-11-2014 07:15 PM
11-17-2014 06:46 PM
by acrajchel
14 384
small biz in Phoenix,AZ
anthonyramos1
11-08-2014 09:35 PM
11-17-2014 05:59 PM
by acrajchel
2 257
Client won't pay...
WesleySnips
10-30-2014 03:53 PM
11-17-2014 05:37 PM
by acrajchel
22 1,274
Government contracts
avetslawncare
11-15-2014 08:50 AM
11-17-2014 12:59 PM
by Steve
2 183
Need help on deciding a...
Brian3137
11-10-2014 06:32 PM
11-17-2014 12:44 PM
by Steve
12 443
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 10:51 PM
11-16-2014 07:54 AM
by stevef1201
8 1,520
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
11-16-2014 12:20 AM
by SGlawncare
172 13,761
So how do you guys...
Mr. Mow
10-26-2014 08:55 AM
11-15-2014 08:44 AM
by avetslawncare
14 1,631
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
11-13-2014 08:35 AM
by jrs.landscaping
81 31,645
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 03:45 PM
11-12-2014 05:05 PM
by stevef1201
14 1,596
A little hang up in snow...
stevef1201
11-08-2014 07:05 AM
11-12-2014 12:51 PM
by Steve
4 358
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
11-12-2014 12:45 PM
by Steve
1 213
Bi-weekly winter...
lxarth
11-04-2014 08:37 PM
11-12-2014 10:06 AM
by WesleySnips
9 561
taking first steps...
sizemorelawncare
11-10-2014 08:24 PM
11-11-2014 01:21 PM
by Steve
1 251
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
11-11-2014 08:12 AM
by Just for Cuts
4 316
Business Cards
crieg122
10-25-2014 01:03 PM
11-11-2014 07:56 AM
by Just for Cuts
12 1,243
How the unregister?
alive101
11-04-2014 07:39 AM
11-10-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
4 540
Belt adjustment question
googus
11-05-2014 06:43 AM
11-10-2014 01:38 PM
by Steve
5 442
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
11-10-2014 01:25 PM
by Steve
2 280
Podcast
Shark1611
11-07-2014 05:42 PM
11-10-2014 11:41 AM
by Steve
1 240
hi, from Minnesota
rjklohn
11-07-2014 02:21 AM
11-07-2014 01:44 PM
by Steve
1 255
New to snow plowing
SS.Lawncare
11-05-2014 04:00 PM
11-07-2014 01:21 PM
by Steve
6 480
New Member
tonyap
11-05-2014 10:35 PM
11-07-2014 01:15 PM
by Steve
1 308
New to the business
jcurr33
11-05-2014 03:21 PM
11-07-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
1 352
Lines
Matther777
11-04-2014 02:19 PM
11-07-2014 12:54 PM
by Steve
1 396
hello, new to this site
tonyorwig
10-31-2014 10:49 PM
11-04-2014 02:24 PM
by tonyorwig
3 594
Aloha from Hawaii.
Gary R
11-02-2014 12:44 AM
11-03-2014 03:02 PM
by Steve
1 502
Pavers
crieg122
10-28-2014 03:49 PM
10-31-2014 01:49 PM
by Steve
6 803
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 02:59 PM
10-31-2014 12:56 PM
by Steve
5 1,118
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 10:19 PM
10-31-2014 10:53 AM
by Max Wagner
30 3,222
Gie-review / What's new...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-25-2014 10:19 AM
10-31-2014 10:30 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 1,040
Business Name
sanchez5
10-29-2014 12:55 AM
10-31-2014 06:51 AM
by ringahding1
10 911
"Price...
Mr. Mow
10-30-2014 04:21 PM
10-31-2014 06:48 AM
by ringahding1
3 722
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 12:41 PM
10-31-2014 06:41 AM
by ringahding1
15 2,595
Difference between lawn...
sanchez5
10-29-2014 05:20 PM
10-30-2014 03:08 PM
by Steve
2 740
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 apartment complex article marketing auger bark blades bob villa care charge collections commercial demonstration edging employee problems exmark ferris four wheel drive gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills hiring holiday how much to charge how to john deere quik trac labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights mechanic monthly mulch mulch estimate new buisness past due patio install podcast pto scag scripts search engine optimization seo shell snow sprayer starting a business starting a lawn care business stihl sulky theft toro toro grand stand trailer mate pro tree turfgrass consulting walk behind walker
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy