Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Do I need to be licensed ??


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Lawn Envy Lawn Envy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 5
Lawn Envy is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need to be licensed ??

Just a quick question for everyone. I live in California and have been doing my business for over a yr. I have found so much useful info from this forum. I've look and have not found requirements for being a "licensed" business. I do have a business license but do not have a landscaping license. I only do maintenance and would love to start bidding on commercial accounts. I was told I can not charge more than $500 per any invoice. Is this true? Is there a license for just maintenance?

Sorry for a common question, but I have not found any post regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance for your info.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 PM
JMADEWELL09's Avatar
JMADEWELL09 JMADEWELL09 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 6
JMADEWELL09 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
i live in Nevada and you have to have a business lic for lawn maint. And all that is for is to mow weedeat and trim hedges. But to do Landscaping you have to have a business lic for landscaping and a nursery lic to sell, stock, install nursery stock and you have to have a Nevada state Contractors lic. And you must have the contractor lic before they will give you a business lic for landscaping. To get a contractors lic in Nevada is about $3000.00 and the landscaping lic with the nursey lic is $604.00. My uncle got the contractors lic and the lanscaping lic.

NAC 624.280 Classification C-10: Landscape contracting. (NRS 624.100, 624.220)

1. The Board will grant to qualified applicants a license in the specialty of landscape contracting. The Board designates such a license as a “classification C-10” license.

2. A person who holds a classification C-10 license may grade and prepare plots of land for architectural horticulture, decoratively treat, arrange, plant and maintain gardens, lawns, shrubs, vines, bushes, trees and other vegetation, construct systems of drainage and landscape irrigation, install rocks, sand, gravel and other landscape materials that use xeriscape principles, hydroseed by spraying mulch, seeds and nutrients under pressure, control soil erosion and install nonengineered decorative landscape ponds or nonengineered prefabricated trellises and arbors.

3. In conjunction with the work specified in subsection 2, a person who holds a classification C-10 license may install nonload-bearing walkways using brick or stone not exceeding 200 square feet in area, patio areas using brick or stone not exceeding 400 square feet in area, landscape retaining walls to a height not exceeding 3 feet and landscape lighting not exceeding 24 volts.

(Added to NAC by Contractors’ Bd., eff. 8-26-83; A 9-13-91; 5-20-92; R209-03, 11-17-2005)



NRS 624.700 Engaging in business or submitting bid without license unlawful; prosecution; damages; bid submitted in violation of section void.

1. It is unlawful for any person or combination of persons to:

(a) Engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor within this State; or

(b) Submit a bid on a job situated within this State,

Ê without having an active license therefor as provided in this chapter, unless that person or combination of persons is exempted from licensure pursuant to NRS 624.031.

2. The district attorneys in this State shall prosecute all violations of this section which occur in their respective counties, unless the violations are prosecuted by the Attorney General. Upon the request of the Board, the Attorney General shall prosecute any violation of this section in lieu of prosecution by the district attorney.

3. In addition to any other penalty imposed pursuant to this chapter, a person who is convicted of violating subsection 1 may be required to pay:

(a) Court costs and the costs of prosecution;

(b) Reasonable costs of the investigation of the violation to the Board;

(c) Damages the person caused as a result of the violation up to the amount of the person’s pecuniary gain from the violation; or

(d) Any combination of paragraphs (a), (b) and (c).

4. If a person submits a bid or enters into a contract in violation of subsection 1, the bid or contract shall be deemed void ab initio.

[1:Art. VII:186:1941; A 1953, 521]—(NRS A 1967, 1042; 1969, 939; 1987, 771; 1995, 927; 1999, 2957)

NRS 624.710 Administrative fine for engaging in business or submitting bid without license; fine cumulative; action for fine; deposit of fine in Construction Education Account.

1. If any person violates the provisions of subsection 1 of NRS 624.700, subsection 1, 2 or 3 of NRS 624.720 or NRS 624.740, the Board may impose for each violation an administrative fine in an amount that is not less than $1,000 and not more than $50,000.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 6
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Envy View Post
Just a quick question for everyone. I live in California and have been doing my business for over a yr. I have found so much useful info from this forum. I've look and have not found requirements for being a "licensed" business. I do have a business license but do not have a landscaping license. I only do maintenance and would love to start bidding on commercial accounts. I was told I can not charge more than $500 per any invoice. Is this true? Is there a license for just maintenance?

Sorry for a common question, but I have not found any post regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance for your info.
I also live in California as far as maintaining a commercial account eg the same thing you are doing now only on a larger scale. The only thing I have found in order to bid them you have to have Insurance most appartment complexes want you to have 1,000,000 over all gross I got a quote from a company out of Fairfield as my auto insurance company does not offer it and it was around $1700 for a year a big bill if you are small outfit for something you may never use the only thing it doesn't cover you to do is dig so with that you can do regular maintenance. Everything else falls under the non contractor agreement of no more than $500 per job in Sacremento it used to be $500 per year per household but it has changed to per job as for as the lic. board has told me. You can ask around check mini marts most of them only want you to beat the current guys bid no insurance. Going back a min the $500 that includes matierial and labor if you front the matierial. you also have to prove that you have been in the field of buisiness for 4 years. Best thing to do is find a couple you would like to bid say next year they usually open there bidding in jan ask them now what you need to have or there requirements to bid there job

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 AM
TouchtonsCLC TouchtonsCLC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 6
TouchtonsCLC is on a distinguished road
Default Florida

There's no special licensing to cut lawns in Florida. Just register fictitious name (or corporation) with state, pay taxes, and buy enough insurance to cover yourself and your clients.

Spraying herbacides/pestacides requires licensing. Not sure about sprinkler systems, as we don't do those.
__________________
"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business." - Henry Ford

Touchton's Complete Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Lawn Envy Lawn Envy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 5
Lawn Envy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
I also live in California as far as maintaining a commercial account eg the same thing you are doing now only on a larger scale. The only thing I have found in order to bid them you have to have Insurance most appartment complexes want you to have 1,000,000 over all gross I got a quote from a company out of Fairfield as my auto insurance company does not offer it and it was around $1700 for a year a big bill if you are small outfit for something you may never use the only thing it doesn't cover you to do is dig so with that you can do regular maintenance. Everything else falls under the non contractor agreement of no more than $500 per job in Sacremento it used to be $500 per year per household but it has changed to per job as for as the lic. board has told me. You can ask around check mini marts most of them only want you to beat the current guys bid no insurance. Going back a min the $500 that includes matierial and labor if you front the matierial. you also have to prove that you have been in the field of buisiness for 4 years. Best thing to do is find a couple you would like to bid say next year they usually open there bidding in jan ask them now what you need to have or there requirements to bid there job

Good luck
Hey Norcal. Thanks for the info. I do also carry a 1 million ins coverage. I guess in the next few years I'll start biding on commerical accounts. Thanks for your input and Info. Hey one last question. What about applying fertlizer? I have herd that you need a special license. Is this true for residental fertlizer that you would buy say at Lowes?

Ray
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Lawn Envy Lawn Envy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 5
Lawn Envy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMADEWELL09 View Post
i live in Nevada and you have to have a business lic for lawn maint. And all that is for is to mow weedeat and trim hedges. But to do Landscaping you have to have a business lic for landscaping and a nursery lic to sell, stock, install nursery stock and you have to have a Nevada state Contractors lic. And you must have the contractor lic before they will give you a business lic for landscaping. To get a contractors lic in Nevada is about $3000.00 and the landscaping lic with the nursey lic is $604.00. My uncle got the contractors lic and the lanscaping lic.

NAC 624.280 Classification C-10: Landscape contracting. (NRS 624.100, 624.220)

1. The Board will grant to qualified applicants a license in the specialty of landscape contracting. The Board designates such a license as a “classification C-10” license.

2. A person who holds a classification C-10 license may grade and prepare plots of land for architectural horticulture, decoratively treat, arrange, plant and maintain gardens, lawns, shrubs, vines, bushes, trees and other vegetation, construct systems of drainage and landscape irrigation, install rocks, sand, gravel and other landscape materials that use xeriscape principles, hydroseed by spraying mulch, seeds and nutrients under pressure, control soil erosion and install nonengineered decorative landscape ponds or nonengineered prefabricated trellises and arbors.

3. In conjunction with the work specified in subsection 2, a person who holds a classification C-10 license may install nonload-bearing walkways using brick or stone not exceeding 200 square feet in area, patio areas using brick or stone not exceeding 400 square feet in area, landscape retaining walls to a height not exceeding 3 feet and landscape lighting not exceeding 24 volts.

(Added to NAC by Contractors’ Bd., eff. 8-26-83; A 9-13-91; 5-20-92; R209-03, 11-17-2005)



NRS 624.700 Engaging in business or submitting bid without license unlawful; prosecution; damages; bid submitted in violation of section void.

1. It is unlawful for any person or combination of persons to:

(a) Engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor within this State; or

(b) Submit a bid on a job situated within this State,

Ê without having an active license therefor as provided in this chapter, unless that person or combination of persons is exempted from licensure pursuant to NRS 624.031.

2. The district attorneys in this State shall prosecute all violations of this section which occur in their respective counties, unless the violations are prosecuted by the Attorney General. Upon the request of the Board, the Attorney General shall prosecute any violation of this section in lieu of prosecution by the district attorney.

3. In addition to any other penalty imposed pursuant to this chapter, a person who is convicted of violating subsection 1 may be required to pay:

(a) Court costs and the costs of prosecution;

(b) Reasonable costs of the investigation of the violation to the Board;

(c) Damages the person caused as a result of the violation up to the amount of the person’s pecuniary gain from the violation; or

(d) Any combination of paragraphs (a), (b) and (c).

4. If a person submits a bid or enters into a contract in violation of subsection 1, the bid or contract shall be deemed void ab initio.

[1:Art. VII:186:1941; A 1953, 521]—(NRS A 1967, 1042; 1969, 939; 1987, 771; 1995, 927; 1999, 2957)

NRS 624.710 Administrative fine for engaging in business or submitting bid without license; fine cumulative; action for fine; deposit of fine in Construction Education Account.

1. If any person violates the provisions of subsection 1 of NRS 624.700, subsection 1, 2 or 3 of NRS 624.720 or NRS 624.740, the Board may impose for each violation an administrative fine in an amount that is not less than $1,000 and not more than $50,000.
Wow thanks for all the info. Sounds live Nevada wants you to jump through many hoops.

Ray
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
JMADEWELL09's Avatar
JMADEWELL09 JMADEWELL09 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 6
JMADEWELL09 is on a distinguished road
Default

I HAVE ALSO FOUND THIS FOR CALIFORNIA. TO DO LANSDCAPING IN CALIFORINA YOU MUST HAVE A STATE CONTRACTING LIC JUST LIKE NEVADA

C27 - Landscaping ContractorCalifornia Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications


A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement


HERE IS THE WEBSITE TO THE CALIFORNIA CONTRACTORS BOARD SO U CAN GET MORE INFO

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/generalinform...assifications/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Lawn Envy Lawn Envy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 5
Lawn Envy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMADEWELL09 View Post
I HAVE ALSO FOUND THIS FOR CALIFORNIA. TO DO LANSDCAPING IN CALIFORINA YOU MUST HAVE A STATE CONTRACTING LIC JUST LIKE NEVADA

C27 - Landscaping ContractorCalifornia Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications


A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement


HERE IS THE WEBSITE TO THE CALIFORNIA CONTRACTORS BOARD SO U CAN GET MORE INFO

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/generalinform...assifications/
Yeah I knew about the C-27 license. I was more concerned about licensing regarding maintenance. Thanks for the additional info.

Ray
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,816
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

It seems like landscaping has a lot more licensing concerns than does maintenance.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 6
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Envy View Post
Hey Norcal. Thanks for the info. I do also carry a 1 million ins coverage. I guess in the next few years I'll start biding on commerical accounts. Thanks for your input and Info. Hey one last question. What about applying fertlizer? I have herd that you need a special license. Is this true for residental fertlizer that you would buy say at Lowes?

Ray
No requirements for fertilizer only weed killer don't spray round up or anything like it. You can take a class for the lic and pay a fee for the lic find a mix on line for natural weed killers that work ok on spurge and some broad leaf weed using dish soap salt and vinegar and I use it in a pump sprayer it is better if you mix it the night before
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting my business name licensed? badfish23 Introduce Yourself 5 10-08-2007 12:51 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
New here from Perth, WA
MowCat
Today 08:11 AM
Today 08:11 AM
by MowCat
0 1
second year advise
cmdlawncare
01-23-2015 06:22 PM
Yesterday 11:42 PM
by jrs.landscaping
3 89
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
Yesterday 10:54 PM
by Chilehead
39 15,750
What happened to Better...
Steve
01-27-2014 04:07 PM
Yesterday 01:13 PM
by WesleySnips
16 2,967
need advise
rawssrob
02-23-2010 02:45 PM
01-23-2015 06:40 PM
by cmdlawncare
7 2,496
please Help with none...
Lawnboyman1170
01-09-2015 09:46 AM
01-23-2015 03:39 PM
by burnell76
7 432
does this sound good or...
Bradcook21
01-22-2015 09:24 AM
01-23-2015 02:02 PM
by Steve
8 208
New to forum
ROB N
01-23-2015 08:35 AM
01-23-2015 01:53 PM
by Steve
1 71
Looking for advice on...
berryjam
01-21-2015 07:37 PM
01-23-2015 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 233
Extending the life of...
rmccutchan
01-17-2015 12:37 AM
01-23-2015 01:43 PM
by Steve
8 294
osceola lawn service
jasa@wildblue.net
01-22-2015 03:23 PM
01-23-2015 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 90
How many contracts...
5StarLawnscaping
01-12-2015 03:51 PM
01-23-2015 08:46 AM
by jrs.landscaping
8 415
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 11:41 AM
01-22-2015 05:58 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 440
Tax Question
Wolf4dk
01-20-2015 01:11 AM
01-22-2015 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 204
Billy Goat Vac
Mr. Mow
01-19-2015 07:42 AM
01-22-2015 02:18 PM
by Steve
6 205
"Part Timers", "Low...
doug1980
06-10-2009 12:55 PM
01-22-2015 02:09 PM
by biglee
39 10,087
Property Pricing
GVL
01-19-2015 02:46 PM
01-21-2015 02:18 PM
by Steve
5 244
Landscapers Source For...
breadcrumb
01-16-2015 02:44 PM
01-21-2015 05:55 AM
by breadcrumb
14 402
Hoa advice
Bradcook21
01-16-2015 09:36 PM
01-20-2015 04:30 PM
by Steve
4 246
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 07:51 PM
01-20-2015 10:16 AM
by biglee
16 580
How to beat the pre pay...
stansg1fresh
01-13-2015 04:33 PM
01-19-2015 03:38 PM
by ringahding1
3 314
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
01-19-2015 01:37 PM
by Steve
12 1,091
Hi from Illinois
burtle
01-02-2015 09:46 PM
01-19-2015 01:22 PM
by Steve
3 480
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
01-19-2015 01:20 PM
by Steve
14 1,403
Lost my @#$ blower
stevef1201
01-11-2015 08:31 AM
01-17-2015 02:21 PM
by lxarth
2 346
Another Illinoisan.....
barhopper
01-11-2015 05:38 PM
01-16-2015 04:29 PM
by Steve
10 392
marketing with pizza...
apmAkron
01-15-2015 09:57 AM
01-15-2015 06:29 PM
by Steve
4 232
CRM and Quickbooks?
5StarLawnscaping
01-15-2015 08:06 AM
01-15-2015 08:06 AM
by 5StarLawnscaping
0 168
New Member, Indiana Iraq...
Timbo
07-14-2011 09:44 AM
01-14-2015 06:14 PM
by Steve
10 3,763
check this box truck out!
BLAZIER-1991
01-07-2015 07:40 PM
01-13-2015 03:06 PM
by biglee
8 599
My community only ad...
googus
01-12-2015 09:55 AM
01-13-2015 02:44 PM
by Steve
5 296
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 09:07 AM
01-13-2015 09:37 AM
by Chilehead
18 1,764
use a small business...
BLAZIER-1991
12-25-2014 12:21 AM
01-12-2015 06:32 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
30 1,520
tips on creating a...
BLAZIER-1991
01-08-2015 07:22 PM
01-12-2015 06:19 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
4 441
During Your Down Time
achri12
12-24-2014 03:03 PM
01-12-2015 03:54 PM
by Steve
10 1,050
Leaf cleanup
Bradcook21
01-09-2015 02:21 PM
01-12-2015 12:22 PM
by Jamesw86
4 405
Has Anyone Used Plowz ?
dpld
01-08-2014 12:14 PM
01-11-2015 02:17 PM
by burtle
20 3,308
What to pay help
Bradcook21
01-07-2015 01:32 PM
01-08-2015 07:01 PM
by Steve
1 443
Need a trailer
googus
01-07-2015 09:40 AM
01-08-2015 10:24 AM
by Upscale2
7 543
Do you guys charge buy...
burtle
01-02-2015 09:58 PM
01-07-2015 08:37 PM
by Shark1611
14 898
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 07:05 PM
01-07-2015 07:05 PM
by greyhound
18 2,139
Need advice please
CHenricks
01-06-2015 01:17 AM
01-07-2015 03:34 PM
by Steve
4 513
Mowing 2 acres
Bradcook21
01-05-2015 03:13 PM
01-07-2015 03:32 PM
by Steve
9 646
Ideas on a large bid
Knaubone
12-21-2014 11:57 AM
01-06-2015 03:55 PM
by Steve
5 966
Trailer with 4ft sides...
mayala030292
01-02-2015 09:01 PM
01-06-2015 03:33 PM
by Steve
5 597
A tip to get good...
biglee
01-04-2015 12:07 AM
01-06-2015 03:30 PM
by Steve
4 582
Work Shoes!
rsanchez1203
02-19-2013 12:07 PM
01-05-2015 09:18 PM
by Havanese2
13 7,428
EDDM post cards
hemiman
02-13-2014 06:36 PM
01-05-2015 04:22 PM
by Steve
14 2,386
Cleaning your Mower and...
MNK
01-03-2015 01:22 AM
01-05-2015 09:17 AM
by rmccutchan
10 735
where to find more...
BLAZIER-1991
01-02-2015 12:17 AM
01-04-2015 12:51 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
6 621
» Popular Tags
4wd aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying auger billy goat brushcutter blades bush deliquentaccounts ditches door hangers employee problems equipment rental ferris first truck foreman georgia google gopherhaul grass growing a lawn care business how to husqvarna introduction jobs john deere quik trac landscape services landscaping lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mulch new buisness per hour service podcast pricing pto reo savannah search engine optimization seo shell snow plowing sq ft square foot starting a business starting a lawn care business steep lawns sulky theft toro toro grand stand tractor auger trailer trailer mate pro tree up sell employee walk behind wood wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy