Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Introductions from Pittsburgh


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
Nice. Did you do the hedge job yet? Another tip don't forget to figure in fuel as well. Whether you put it on your quote or not is up to you. I don't, but always figure it in on big jobs and usually just add it to my labor charge.
No hedges yet - I was doing a handyman job that took the better part of the day and it was too late to get prices for "dumping" from anyone. I did get a rental price list from home depot, though I haven't had time to look at it.

Picked up a (don't laugh) Craftsman gas hedge trimmer tonight. It should handle that big hedge job with ease. Gonna use it in the morning on a massive "shrub" at a neighbor's house. Will get "real" tools when I can.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 AM
LawnMoore's Avatar
LawnMoore LawnMoore is offline
Mr. Moore
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Suwannee River Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 288
Rep Power: 6
LawnMoore is on a distinguished road
Default Hedge

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
O wow man, a craftsman hedge trimmer to do a chainsaws work!?!?!?!?

I will be honest i have never trimmed hedges with a hedge trimmer, unless you count my Stihl 260 Magnum as a hedge trimmer, but honestly i havent trimmed any so to say shaping them, but i have trimmed them like your doing, cutting them and i use a sharp chainsaw.

Maybe a hedge trimmer can lop off 2 inch hedge stalks, i dont know cause i havent used one "yet" let me know how it works please.
__________________
(352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMoore View Post
O wow man, a craftsman hedge trimmer to do a chainsaws work!?!?!?!?

I will be honest i have never trimmed hedges with a hedge trimmer, unless you count my Stihl 260 Magnum as a hedge trimmer, but honestly i havent trimmed any so to say shaping them, but i have trimmed them like your doing, cutting them and i use a sharp chainsaw.

Maybe a hedge trimmer can lop off 2 inch hedge stalks, i dont know cause i havent used one "yet" let me know how it works please.
It should be fine. (for this job anyway) Will cut 3/4". Those hedges aren't very thick at all and the ones along the street are so thin I could buzz them off with my cordless Black and Decker trimmer.

I priced an Echo trimmer that cuts up to 1", but at $300, it's going to have to wait. I can either sell this one later, or keep it as a backup when I get better equipment. If I had time to look, I would have picked up something used.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Chachi Chachi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 6
Chachi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
It should be fine. (for this job anyway) Will cut 3/4". Those hedges aren't very thick at all and the ones along the street are so thin I could buzz them off with my cordless Black and Decker trimmer.

I priced an Echo trimmer that cuts up to 1", but at $300, it's going to have to wait. I can either sell this one later, or keep it as a backup when I get better equipment. If I had time to look, I would have picked up something used.
I use a Echo gas powered trimmer the HC-150C and it is fantastic. And is probably the one you are looking at. I wouldn't knock craftsman. I've had a craftsman 16" chainsaw that is 10 years old and it still runs like a bat out of hell, except doing a huge tree job a few weekends ago my climber made a wrong cut and had to sacrifice the saw(only bent the bar). So I am going to retire it and go buy me a nice big Husky 455.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 PM
arthur712's Avatar
arthur712 arthur712 is offline
Artie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cocoa FL
Age: 43
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 7
arthur712 is on a distinguished road
Default

Welcome to the forum!
__________________
Artie Crowley
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Update:

Didn't get the hedge trimming job.

My highest quote was $250 (I had it broken down three ways - chipping/hauling away the debris)

Someone gave them a trimmer.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Chachi Chachi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 6
Chachi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
Update:

Didn't get the hedge trimming job.

My highest quote was $250 (I had it broken down three ways - chipping/hauling away the debris)

Someone gave them a trimmer.
I had a few jobs lost like that. I am starting now working on a newsletter and an ad for the fall so I can start to get people lined up ahead of time.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-05-2010, 01:44 PM
robgee05 robgee05 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: newfield nj
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 6
robgee05 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
I use a Echo gas powered trimmer the HC-150C and it is fantastic. And is probably the one you are looking at. I wouldn't knock craftsman. I've had a craftsman 16" chainsaw that is 10 years old and it still runs like a bat out of hell, except doing a huge tree job a few weekends ago my climber made a wrong cut and had to sacrifice the saw(only bent the bar). So I am going to retire it and go buy me a nice big Husky 455.
My local dealer recommended a Tanaka Hedge trimmer over the Redmax which I tend to favor. We had it out on a few jobs it works well, it ought to at $300. Im in the market for a chainsaw now too. I don't do any larger jobs but I have a McCullough I have been using thats about 8 years old and still runs fine. Its only 14 inch, Im looking at the Redmax 18 inch, which I can pick up for $259. We bought a Huskavarna a few weeks ago and I really didn't care for the little plastic wheel you had to use to tighten the chain. I took it back. Whats funny is they own Redmax now, you would think they would just take all the Redmax designs and apply them to their equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Chachi Chachi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 6
Chachi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgee05 View Post
My local dealer recommended a Tanaka Hedge trimmer over the Redmax which I tend to favor. We had it out on a few jobs it works well, it ought to at $300. Im in the market for a chainsaw now too. I don't do any larger jobs but I have a McCullough I have been using thats about 8 years old and still runs fine. Its only 14 inch, Im looking at the Redmax 18 inch, which I can pick up for $259. We bought a Huskavarna a few weeks ago and I really didn't care for the little plastic wheel you had to use to tighten the chain. I took it back. Whats funny is they own Redmax now, you would think they would just take all the Redmax designs and apply them to their equipment.
Was it the husky/poulon line?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-07-2010, 04:16 PM
robgee05 robgee05 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: newfield nj
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 6
robgee05 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
Was it the husky/poulon line?
It was box store crap, but not much less than the RedMax and smaller.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
John Deere 667a
acrajchel
Today 10:00 AM
Today 10:07 AM
by acrajchel
1 25
Dane Scag
Steve
08-28-2015 12:29 PM
08-28-2015 12:29 PM
by Steve
0 61
24 and 50 acre cemetery...
grassmasterswilson
08-18-2015 10:09 AM
08-26-2015 02:42 PM
by Steve
13 497
Rookie business question...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-05-2015 05:20 PM
08-26-2015 02:33 PM
by Steve
3 380
How to clean an old...
rmccutchan
08-16-2015 05:23 PM
08-26-2015 02:31 PM
by Steve
9 383
how to make customers...
Bradcook21
05-27-2015 05:04 PM
08-26-2015 12:25 PM
by kslawn
19 3,698
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
08-25-2015 11:31 AM
by acrajchel
9 2,447
Big mowing job
Bradcook21
07-30-2015 03:57 PM
08-25-2015 11:23 AM
by acrajchel
17 953
ZTR Review
Shark1611
05-31-2012 10:42 PM
08-25-2015 11:16 AM
by acrajchel
8 3,725
Hi Everyone
mmays29
08-25-2015 08:16 AM
08-25-2015 11:15 AM
by Steve
3 103
Should I buy this Exmark...
googus
07-03-2015 09:22 AM
08-25-2015 11:08 AM
by acrajchel
11 1,156
Old Business New Owner
Toyman
06-17-2014 08:57 PM
08-25-2015 11:00 AM
by acrajchel
17 1,551
Hi everyone! We're new...
alltrades
08-22-2015 12:46 PM
08-24-2015 10:41 AM
by Steve
2 151
CAn I get some help with...
rootytalbot
08-11-2015 06:14 PM
08-24-2015 10:36 AM
by Steve
12 479
Hi
Wemowjunction
08-16-2015 08:45 PM
08-20-2015 01:46 PM
by Steve
11 381
Drive cable bad?
SGL1
08-10-2015 11:16 PM
08-20-2015 01:41 PM
by Steve
5 344
Hey there everyone
Cole8999
08-16-2015 04:42 PM
08-18-2015 04:35 PM
by Steve
3 236
Help with a truck
bdodson89
04-27-2015 08:15 PM
08-18-2015 11:47 AM
by rmccutchan
7 946
I need some aeration...
rootytalbot
08-14-2015 12:32 PM
08-18-2015 07:59 AM
by rootytalbot
7 361
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
08-17-2015 04:34 PM
by Steve
1,229 405,917
Whats wrong with this...
GreenWorx
07-28-2015 07:56 PM
08-16-2015 11:42 PM
by rmccutchan
3 573
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 11:54 AM
08-16-2015 11:09 PM
by SC93
16 1,213
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
08-14-2015 11:08 PM
by scaypa
95 11,422
New Biz
kufnerins
08-14-2015 05:52 PM
08-14-2015 08:56 PM
by Steve
1 200
Chemical and Fertilizer...
rmccutchan
08-09-2015 10:36 PM
08-13-2015 11:11 PM
by rmccutchan
6 388
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
08-13-2015 02:10 PM
by rootytalbot
12 2,051
Hello all thinking about...
bernie
08-11-2015 04:28 PM
08-13-2015 10:33 AM
by Steve
8 351
Logo Help Font Color
LZLC
08-08-2015 09:26 PM
08-12-2015 03:50 PM
by Steve
4 328
Pricing issue
Mr. Mow
07-07-2015 06:15 AM
08-12-2015 12:30 AM
by Jeff1
20 1,782
My new mower
Chilehead
08-08-2015 09:09 PM
08-11-2015 08:36 PM
by Chilehead
9 490
Thought this was a good...
Just for Cuts
08-06-2015 03:38 PM
08-11-2015 10:54 AM
by Steve
8 491
Plowing pricing
jcurr33
08-08-2015 04:58 PM
08-11-2015 10:51 AM
by Steve
6 454
Should I upgrade my back...
googus
08-07-2015 10:50 AM
08-11-2015 10:44 AM
by googus
7 416
Keeping it clean....
Wolf4dk
08-09-2015 11:31 PM
08-11-2015 06:34 AM
by Chilehead
7 346
I have been rude and...
biglee
06-15-2015 10:11 PM
08-10-2015 09:41 PM
by stallman419
12 2,729
Newbie Saying Hi.
LZLC
08-08-2015 09:22 PM
08-10-2015 11:20 AM
by Steve
1 242
How much do I charge to...
Chris Herrera
08-06-2015 09:30 PM
08-09-2015 11:31 AM
by biglee
2 385
scag SWZT review!
mattthelawnguy
07-23-2015 02:28 PM
08-07-2015 03:26 PM
by Steve
17 1,117
Best commercial contract...
sanlanct
08-04-2015 12:18 PM
08-06-2015 06:20 AM
by sanlanct
2 375
I came across this on a...
rootytalbot
08-02-2015 11:04 AM
08-05-2015 08:17 PM
by SC93
9 614
Help bidding a hedge...
hopolb33
08-02-2015 06:09 PM
08-05-2015 02:07 PM
by Steve
3 417
recycler toro 22"
rvezakis
08-03-2015 12:10 PM
08-04-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
1 295
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping advertising aerocore applying bark billy goat brushcutter blowout bob villa bush collections contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts demonstration design door hangers edging employee problems equipment dealer equipment rental facebook free lawn care google growing a lawn care business hiring how to hydro increase customers jobs landscape landscaping landscaping training lawn aeration lawn care lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets more customers business mr dave mulch new business ordinance past due per hour charge per hour service plowing pricing profit on employee roundup scag secrets to landscaping sell the vision seo shell shreaded solo solo backpack sprayer sq ft square foot swzt tree tree pics up sell employee walk behind web design website website design winterization wood www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy