Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

How to conveince lawn care customers to mulch there grass


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
clandscaping44 clandscaping44 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 51
Rep Power: 7
clandscaping44 is on a distinguished road
Question How to conveince lawn care customers to mulch there grass

Hey again guys, how can I convience my lawn care customers to opt. with mulching there grass?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-03-2010, 08:56 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default mulching benefits

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandscaping44 View Post
Hey again guys, how can I convience my lawn care customers to opt. with mulching there grass?
Grass clippings are too valuable to waste! When left on the lawn, properly mowed grass clippings filter down to the soil and decompose rapidly, usually within a few weeks. During the breakdown process, the clippings feed soil organisms, recycle plant nutrients, and contribute organic matter to the soil. These nutrients are beneficial for the overall health of your lawn and can also prevent weed growth. During decomposition, 90% of the organic material is converted to nutrients and the remaining 10% becomes healthy humus (topsoil). As a result, water is conserved and less fertilizer is needed.

Grass clippings contain about 4 percent nitrogen (N), 0.5 percent phosphorus (P), 2 percent potassium (K), plus small amounts of other plant nutrients. As much as 50 percent of the N that you apply as fertilizer is removed when grass clippings are collected. Research at the University of Missouri shows that grass clippings can supply 25 percent of a lawn’s total fertilizer needs. A study conducted by the University of Connecticut found that the N from grass clippings began showing up in the growing grass within 2 weeks. By the end of the third year of the study, researchers estimated that about one-third of the N found in grass came from previously recycled clippings. Annually, this could add nearly 2 pounds of N to each 1,000 square feet of lawn.

Deciduous tree leaves should be mulched into the lawn also. Beginning in 1990, three studies have been conducted at Michigan State University's Han**** Turfgrass Research Center to examine the feasibility of mulching tree leaves into existing turfgrass canopies. These studies led to the conclusion that there were more benefits than negatives for turf managers and homeowners who mulch tree leaves into existing sites.

Grass clippings are “green” organic material high in nitrogen content. Deciduous tree leaves are “brown” organic matter high in carbon. “Green organic material feeds biolife and recycles plant nutrients and “brown” organic material becomes the home of the beneficial biolife.

Contrary to popular belief, mulching does not lead to thatch; infact, it actually reduces it.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 AM
lukus223 lukus223 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 8
lukus223 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
Grass clippings are too valuable to waste! When left on the lawn, properly mowed grass clippings filter down to the soil and decompose rapidly, usually within a few weeks. During the breakdown process, the clippings feed soil organisms, recycle plant nutrients, and contribute organic matter to the soil. These nutrients are beneficial for the overall health of your lawn and can also prevent weed growth. During decomposition, 90% of the organic material is converted to nutrients and the remaining 10% becomes healthy humus (topsoil). As a result, water is conserved and less fertilizer is needed.

Grass clippings contain about 4 percent nitrogen (N), 0.5 percent phosphorus (P), 2 percent potassium (K), plus small amounts of other plant nutrients. As much as 50 percent of the N that you apply as fertilizer is removed when grass clippings are collected. Research at the University of Missouri shows that grass clippings can supply 25 percent of a lawn’s total fertilizer needs. A study conducted by the University of Connecticut found that the N from grass clippings began showing up in the growing grass within 2 weeks. By the end of the third year of the study, researchers estimated that about one-third of the N found in grass came from previously recycled clippings. Annually, this could add nearly 2 pounds of N to each 1,000 square feet of lawn.

Deciduous tree leaves should be mulched into the lawn also. Beginning in 1990, three studies have been conducted at Michigan State University's Han**** Turfgrass Research Center to examine the feasibility of mulching tree leaves into existing turfgrass canopies. These studies led to the conclusion that there were more benefits than negatives for turf managers and homeowners who mulch tree leaves into existing sites.

Grass clippings are “green” organic material high in nitrogen content. Deciduous tree leaves are “brown” organic matter high in carbon. “Green organic material feeds biolife and recycles plant nutrients and “brown” organic material becomes the home of the beneficial biolife.

Contrary to popular belief, mulching does not lead to thatch; infact, it actually reduces it.

Steve
Steve,

Is this true with all grasses? In Oregon we have a perinnial Rye/Fescue mix. This is about ht only grass in this area. Everyone bags here. The local recycling yard will have 50 lawn guys a day just dropping clippings. When talking with our local mower shop, they do not recommend to mulch any lawns around here. All the big mowers all have grass catchers.

I hear so much about mulching, but any lawn I've seen mulched around her looks like crap
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2010, 02:47 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukus223 View Post
Steve,

Is this true with all grasses? In Oregon we have a perinnial Rye/Fescue mix. This is about ht only grass in this area. Everyone bags here. The local recycling yard will have 50 lawn guys a day just dropping clippings. When talking with our local mower shop, they do not recommend to mulch any lawns around here. All the big mowers all have grass catchers.

I hear so much about mulching, but any lawn I've seen mulched around her looks like crap
Grass clippings have been banned from landfills by approximately half of the states in the United States. Here in South Carolina, they do still accept it, but it must be placed in state recycle bags (how the state charges for landfill use - 5 bags for $2.75).

Here, the state uses a Tall Fescue/Perennial Rye mix for all road and highway use. They do not bag the clippings and the appearance is quite acceptable.

Good, sharp mulching kits cut the clippings into a fine mulch that quickly decomposes (the smaller the grass clippings, the faster it decomposes). Grass is 75-80% water and the mulched clippings quickly transfer that moisture, leaving only about 20% actual organic matter that settles into the turf at the dirt level.

I have only one customer who insists on clipping removal and I charge him $1.00 per bag.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,067
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

When making a presentation to a customer on why they should mulch there clippings, is it best to use a two pronged presentation? One being the information to educate them and the second being an additional fee? Or no?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should you tell lawn care customers your hourly rate. - GopherHaul 53 Lawn Care Softw Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 0 01-26-2010 10:54 PM
Should you tell lawn care customers your hourly rate. - GopherHaul 53 Lawn Care Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 01-26-2010 10:53 PM
How to get wealthy lawn care customers - GopherHaul 52 Lawn Care Business Video Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 01-19-2010 07:40 PM
GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show. How to charge bi-weekly lawn care customers. Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 0 07-22-2009 02:28 PM
GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show. How to charge bi-weekly lawn care customers. Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 07-22-2009 02:27 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
What were your top...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-13-2016 05:10 PM
Yesterday 11:49 AM
by AKDave
6 526
Define Successful
Fireman Gus
05-10-2012 05:12 PM
Yesterday 11:39 AM
by AKDave
12 5,522
Any successful one man...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-26-2016 06:04 AM
Yesterday 11:22 AM
by AKDave
5 222
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
09-29-2016 01:01 AM
by myrlage
1,256 444,116
A quick Intro
BLE
08-14-2016 05:17 PM
09-29-2016 12:53 AM
by myrlage
3 1,290
Enter to win Free...
arthur712
09-25-2016 11:28 AM
09-26-2016 05:41 PM
by Steve
1 188
I have a new show!
Chilehead
09-19-2016 06:50 PM
09-23-2016 05:45 AM
by Chilehead
7 272
First commercial estimate
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-19-2016 12:42 PM
09-22-2016 05:42 PM
by acrajchel
7 283
Larger projects - Labor...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-18-2016 07:38 AM
09-21-2016 06:51 AM
by Chilehead
5 294
I need some business...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
07-06-2016 05:42 AM
09-16-2016 01:50 PM
by DLC123
5 768
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
09-16-2016 01:35 PM
by DLC123
15 1,475
Not a newbie just...
lwlawn
09-09-2016 02:32 PM
09-16-2016 01:25 PM
by DLC123
2 641
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
09-16-2016 01:15 PM
by DLC123
6 1,545
Lawn problem
magiccc
09-14-2016 11:37 AM
09-15-2016 06:14 AM
by Chilehead
2 426
What kind of seed do you...
Bradcook21
09-02-2016 02:58 PM
09-12-2016 07:18 AM
by joshp
4 1,065
Commercial Flail Mower...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 04:46 PM
09-09-2016 04:50 PM
by Steve
7 915
Newbie here
paulgrant
09-07-2016 04:52 PM
09-09-2016 12:01 AM
by paulgrant
2 757
Hello, New Member Here,...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 06:19 PM
09-08-2016 09:35 PM
by Chickenthief
6 882
Pricing fall cleanups?
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-06-2016 11:17 AM
09-07-2016 04:06 PM
by Steve
3 850
» Popular Tags
annual apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts convention converting customer dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care seasonal snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy