Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

How to conveince lawn care customers to mulch there grass


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 PM
clandscaping44 clandscaping44 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 51
Rep Power: 6
clandscaping44 is on a distinguished road
Question How to conveince lawn care customers to mulch there grass

Hey again guys, how can I convience my lawn care customers to opt. with mulching there grass?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 66
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default mulching benefits

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandscaping44 View Post
Hey again guys, how can I convience my lawn care customers to opt. with mulching there grass?
Grass clippings are too valuable to waste! When left on the lawn, properly mowed grass clippings filter down to the soil and decompose rapidly, usually within a few weeks. During the breakdown process, the clippings feed soil organisms, recycle plant nutrients, and contribute organic matter to the soil. These nutrients are beneficial for the overall health of your lawn and can also prevent weed growth. During decomposition, 90% of the organic material is converted to nutrients and the remaining 10% becomes healthy humus (topsoil). As a result, water is conserved and less fertilizer is needed.

Grass clippings contain about 4 percent nitrogen (N), 0.5 percent phosphorus (P), 2 percent potassium (K), plus small amounts of other plant nutrients. As much as 50 percent of the N that you apply as fertilizer is removed when grass clippings are collected. Research at the University of Missouri shows that grass clippings can supply 25 percent of a lawn’s total fertilizer needs. A study conducted by the University of Connecticut found that the N from grass clippings began showing up in the growing grass within 2 weeks. By the end of the third year of the study, researchers estimated that about one-third of the N found in grass came from previously recycled clippings. Annually, this could add nearly 2 pounds of N to each 1,000 square feet of lawn.

Deciduous tree leaves should be mulched into the lawn also. Beginning in 1990, three studies have been conducted at Michigan State University's Han**** Turfgrass Research Center to examine the feasibility of mulching tree leaves into existing turfgrass canopies. These studies led to the conclusion that there were more benefits than negatives for turf managers and homeowners who mulch tree leaves into existing sites.

Grass clippings are “green” organic material high in nitrogen content. Deciduous tree leaves are “brown” organic matter high in carbon. “Green organic material feeds biolife and recycles plant nutrients and “brown” organic material becomes the home of the beneficial biolife.

Contrary to popular belief, mulching does not lead to thatch; infact, it actually reduces it.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2010, 11:59 AM
lukus223 lukus223 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 7
lukus223 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
Grass clippings are too valuable to waste! When left on the lawn, properly mowed grass clippings filter down to the soil and decompose rapidly, usually within a few weeks. During the breakdown process, the clippings feed soil organisms, recycle plant nutrients, and contribute organic matter to the soil. These nutrients are beneficial for the overall health of your lawn and can also prevent weed growth. During decomposition, 90% of the organic material is converted to nutrients and the remaining 10% becomes healthy humus (topsoil). As a result, water is conserved and less fertilizer is needed.

Grass clippings contain about 4 percent nitrogen (N), 0.5 percent phosphorus (P), 2 percent potassium (K), plus small amounts of other plant nutrients. As much as 50 percent of the N that you apply as fertilizer is removed when grass clippings are collected. Research at the University of Missouri shows that grass clippings can supply 25 percent of a lawn’s total fertilizer needs. A study conducted by the University of Connecticut found that the N from grass clippings began showing up in the growing grass within 2 weeks. By the end of the third year of the study, researchers estimated that about one-third of the N found in grass came from previously recycled clippings. Annually, this could add nearly 2 pounds of N to each 1,000 square feet of lawn.

Deciduous tree leaves should be mulched into the lawn also. Beginning in 1990, three studies have been conducted at Michigan State University's Han**** Turfgrass Research Center to examine the feasibility of mulching tree leaves into existing turfgrass canopies. These studies led to the conclusion that there were more benefits than negatives for turf managers and homeowners who mulch tree leaves into existing sites.

Grass clippings are “green” organic material high in nitrogen content. Deciduous tree leaves are “brown” organic matter high in carbon. “Green organic material feeds biolife and recycles plant nutrients and “brown” organic material becomes the home of the beneficial biolife.

Contrary to popular belief, mulching does not lead to thatch; infact, it actually reduces it.

Steve
Steve,

Is this true with all grasses? In Oregon we have a perinnial Rye/Fescue mix. This is about ht only grass in this area. Everyone bags here. The local recycling yard will have 50 lawn guys a day just dropping clippings. When talking with our local mower shop, they do not recommend to mulch any lawns around here. All the big mowers all have grass catchers.

I hear so much about mulching, but any lawn I've seen mulched around her looks like crap
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2010, 03:47 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 66
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukus223 View Post
Steve,

Is this true with all grasses? In Oregon we have a perinnial Rye/Fescue mix. This is about ht only grass in this area. Everyone bags here. The local recycling yard will have 50 lawn guys a day just dropping clippings. When talking with our local mower shop, they do not recommend to mulch any lawns around here. All the big mowers all have grass catchers.

I hear so much about mulching, but any lawn I've seen mulched around her looks like crap
Grass clippings have been banned from landfills by approximately half of the states in the United States. Here in South Carolina, they do still accept it, but it must be placed in state recycle bags (how the state charges for landfill use - 5 bags for $2.75).

Here, the state uses a Tall Fescue/Perennial Rye mix for all road and highway use. They do not bag the clippings and the appearance is quite acceptable.

Good, sharp mulching kits cut the clippings into a fine mulch that quickly decomposes (the smaller the grass clippings, the faster it decomposes). Grass is 75-80% water and the mulched clippings quickly transfer that moisture, leaving only about 20% actual organic matter that settles into the turf at the dirt level.

I have only one customer who insists on clipping removal and I charge him $1.00 per bag.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,821
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

When making a presentation to a customer on why they should mulch there clippings, is it best to use a two pronged presentation? One being the information to educate them and the second being an additional fee? Or no?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should you tell lawn care customers your hourly rate. - GopherHaul 53 Lawn Care Softw Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 0 01-26-2010 11:54 PM
Should you tell lawn care customers your hourly rate. - GopherHaul 53 Lawn Care Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 01-26-2010 11:53 PM
How to get wealthy lawn care customers - GopherHaul 52 Lawn Care Business Video Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 01-19-2010 08:40 PM
GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show. How to charge bi-weekly lawn care customers. Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 0 07-22-2009 03:28 PM
GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show. How to charge bi-weekly lawn care customers. Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 07-22-2009 03:27 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Help Spread the word...
Sprinkler Buddy
12-02-2015 08:41 AM
Today 08:19 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
19 1,302
back surgery
Bradcook21
01-28-2016 08:51 PM
Today 01:18 AM
by Steve
15 385
Howdy Yall !!!
B&C
Yesterday 10:06 AM
Today 01:05 AM
by Steve
1 30
hello
2menandmowers
Yesterday 07:32 AM
Today 12:53 AM
by Steve
1 30
Best two stroke oil
Greg_TopYardServices
02-08-2016 07:53 PM
Today 12:51 AM
by Steve
8 124
Hello everyone!!!
1newkirk05
02-09-2016 03:16 PM
Yesterday 04:05 PM
by jrs.landscaping
7 128
Tine Rake Detaching vs...
wigglesworth
02-09-2016 05:32 PM
02-09-2016 07:43 PM
by Steve
1 49
Finding open bids?!?
C&DPropertyManagement
02-07-2016 01:48 AM
02-09-2016 07:11 PM
by Steve
3 118
hello all
romanlandscape
01-29-2016 03:46 PM
02-07-2016 10:20 AM
by Bradcook21
6 224
Lawn Care Book Ranked #1
Steve
02-06-2016 12:36 AM
02-06-2016 12:36 AM
by Steve
0 107
Hi
Sellers Lawn Care
02-02-2016 01:48 PM
02-05-2016 08:03 AM
by Sellers Lawn Care
4 172
Collecting payments from...
Niagara Mowing
02-03-2016 05:21 PM
02-05-2016 08:00 AM
by Niagara Mowing
7 226
SMS assist? The good,...
jcurr33
01-27-2016 10:24 PM
02-04-2016 11:53 PM
by Steve
5 258
I need some help...
Anise
02-04-2016 01:39 PM
02-04-2016 11:51 PM
by Steve
3 134
Customers dodging the...
Rocky
11-06-2015 06:22 AM
02-04-2016 03:41 AM
by C&DPropertyManagement
7 1,507
Offering a "Trial"...
wybut076
02-01-2016 06:27 PM
02-03-2016 08:26 PM
by Just for Cuts
7 257
Iowa Caucus Predictions?
Steve
02-01-2016 06:31 PM
02-03-2016 12:40 AM
by Steve
1 113
Laying White River Rock
DiamondLawnCare
02-01-2016 08:27 PM
02-03-2016 12:17 AM
by Steve
1 135
Networking for a...
jcurr33
01-30-2016 09:26 PM
02-01-2016 06:27 PM
by Steve
4 210
Customer giving a 1099?
apmAkron
01-27-2016 07:22 PM
01-31-2016 08:55 PM
by Chilehead
6 272
happy to be here
redrobin
01-29-2016 10:45 AM
01-31-2016 08:44 PM
by Steve
1 149
Thought's on an "E-Z...
jcurr33
01-27-2016 10:48 PM
01-31-2016 08:38 PM
by Steve
4 244
Changes
Knaubone
01-30-2016 10:56 PM
01-31-2016 08:31 PM
by Steve
1 136
Thoughts on this Exmark...
googus
01-28-2016 04:24 PM
01-28-2016 08:09 PM
by Chilehead
1 157
1st year in
jcurr33
10-18-2015 05:07 PM
01-28-2016 07:49 PM
by Chilehead
6 4,149
Need opinion on zero...
Mr. Mow
01-24-2016 05:42 PM
01-28-2016 07:41 PM
by Chilehead
10 373
Opinion on liquid vs...
Bradcook21
01-25-2016 02:03 PM
01-28-2016 07:38 PM
by Chilehead
9 319
Finding property size
Gageslawncare
01-25-2016 11:08 AM
01-28-2016 12:05 PM
by Gageslawncare
10 333
Tiger TG 2661 Commercial...
lawnman1959
01-25-2016 08:12 PM
01-27-2016 07:57 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 258
Spouse as a dependent?
Steve
01-26-2016 01:51 AM
01-27-2016 10:44 AM
by Chilehead
3 213
Hello All
C&DPropertyManagement
01-23-2016 12:21 PM
01-26-2016 01:24 AM
by Steve
1 187
Credit Cards - What's in...
Shark1611
06-16-2015 04:04 PM
01-23-2016 03:43 PM
by C&DPropertyManagement
17 7,699
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 08:43 PM
01-19-2016 07:00 PM
by Steve
12 657
State of the nation 2016.
Steve
01-12-2016 12:05 AM
01-19-2016 06:57 PM
by Steve
6 397
little help? first big...
Brian3137
12-31-2015 12:39 PM
01-19-2016 06:54 PM
by Steve
23 1,105
Hi everybody...
Greg_TopYardServices
01-14-2016 08:10 AM
01-19-2016 02:47 PM
by SC93
12 467
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 12:54 PM
01-17-2016 08:48 PM
by Homeland unlimited
25 7,936
Plow controller problems
scaypa
01-12-2016 05:49 PM
01-16-2016 10:46 AM
by scaypa
4 304
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
01-15-2016 07:23 PM
by tannerduncan
1,244 428,183
Pricing issue
Mr. Mow
07-07-2015 07:15 AM
01-15-2016 11:20 AM
by djlandscaping06
23 5,432
New College Course
Dr. D
01-14-2016 01:45 PM
01-14-2016 05:35 PM
by Steve
1 221
Yelp
Shark1611
01-13-2016 10:00 AM
01-14-2016 05:32 PM
by Steve
4 277
New to the forum from...
Doug Green
01-12-2016 12:23 PM
01-14-2016 08:34 AM
by Doug Green
2 262
Facebook advertising
Just for Cuts
12-13-2015 08:49 AM
01-13-2016 10:20 PM
by Just for Cuts
12 946
Choosing local business
Doug Green
01-12-2016 12:29 PM
01-13-2016 06:12 PM
by Steve
2 426
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy