Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation
A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!

New Sod Fertilizer???


Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Paineless Creations's Avatar
Paineless Creations Paineless Creations is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Richland, WA
Posts: 205
Rep Power: 7
Paineless Creations is on a distinguished road
Default New Sod Fertilizer???

I just got a new customer that just had new sod put in there back yard in April. She hired my services to mow and said do anything you need to keep my new sod looking green. So the question I have for you folks is how long do you guys wait to apply Fertilzer or what ever.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 7
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default sod

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Usually the person installing the sod will fertilize the surface with regular fertilizer,lime or gypsum I recomend and so do most bags of dry fertilizer to apply every 3 months or 4 times a year if it was installed in april you should fertilize now also remember that the sod is fed every 2 weeks at the sod farm with lawn food there are all different types after it is cut it is lucky if it gets the fertilizer and water. Lawn food is expensive a quick way to green it up is lime or use house hold amonia in a jar feeder 2oz covers about 1200 sq ft.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,807
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
or use house hold amonia in a jar feeder 2oz covers about 1200 sq ft.
How long does that last for and is it safe for the lawn?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 7
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default amonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How long does that last for and is it safe for the lawn?
I would only use it one to two times a year first time around the 4th of july second before fall or late fall yes it does work it is more of a home remedy kind of like ag grow or mo green all of it is full of nitrogen unlike dry fertilizer you can burn the lawn if you leave it on to long without water I dont care if it says it wont burn a jar feeder you are already adding water and it isn't a time deal slowly over the course of three months. You can also help decompose thatch using beer with the same formula 2oz 1200 sq ft also around the 4th of July try a test spot first if your still suspect on your own lawn
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2010, 03:26 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 66
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How long does that last for and is it safe for the lawn?
From http://www.paghat.com/ammonia.html


A teaspoon to a tablespoon of ammonia per gallon of water won't kill the plants, & some people other than Jerry Baker do recommend it as a mild nitrogen fertilizer. However, anhydrous ammonia converts to nitrogen very slowly & ends up delivering very little nitrogen even in acidic soil. In alkaline soil it converts hardly at all. In either case it will likely wash through the soil from watering & rainfall before it has done much good in the nitrogen department. The least wash-through will occur in clayey soils that do not drain well, but the majority of gardened plants will not thrive in soil that doesn't drain.

If you have alkaline soils, there will be no nitrogen effect, so some have suggested adding twice as much vinegar as ammonia to that gallon of water, in order to acidify the soil while the dilute ammonia is poored around a plant. Tinkering randomly with pH is not necessarily a good thing for the plants, however, & it remains that rainfall & average watering will wash the ammonia out of the soil before it breaks down into nitrogen.

Additionally, surface evaporation of ammonia means it is just carried away on the wind. Dilute ammonia placed in the garden while the temperature is above about 50 degrees F. evaporates more swiftly than if applied on a cold day. Yet a warm day is essential if microorganism activity is to be at maximum. If the ammonia is applied on a cold day it does not stimulate the microorganisms which process the nitrogen, but if applied on a warm day it evaporates before it can be processed by plants or by microorganisms.


Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 AM
irvinjr irvinjr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ft. Myers,Fl.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 6
irvinjr is on a distinguished road
Default Brown Spots Throughout the lawn

I'm curious to know how can i get the brown spots that i see throughout the lawn back green again with the rest of the lawn.I'm open for suggestions !
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2010, 08:53 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 66
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Brown Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinjr View Post
I'm curious to know how can i get the brown spots that i see throughout the lawn back green again with the rest of the lawn.I'm open for suggestions !
Go here

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=12096

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 7
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
From http://www.paghat.com/ammonia.html


A teaspoon to a tablespoon of ammonia per gallon of water won't kill the plants, & some people other than Jerry Baker do recommend it as a mild nitrogen fertilizer. However, anhydrous ammonia converts to nitrogen very slowly & ends up delivering very little nitrogen even in acidic soil. In alkaline soil it converts hardly at all. In either case it will likely wash through the soil from watering & rainfall before it has done much good in the nitrogen department. The least wash-through will occur in clayey soils that do not drain well, but the majority of gardened plants will not thrive in soil that doesn't drain.

If you have alkaline soils, there will be no nitrogen effect, so some have suggested adding twice as much vinegar as ammonia to that gallon of water, in order to acidify the soil while the dilute ammonia is poored around a plant. Tinkering randomly with pH is not necessarily a good thing for the plants, however, & it remains that rainfall & average watering will wash the ammonia out of the soil before it breaks down into nitrogen.

Additionally, surface evaporation of ammonia means it is just carried away on the wind. Dilute ammonia placed in the garden while the temperature is above about 50 degrees F. evaporates more swiftly than if applied on a cold day. Yet a warm day is essential if microorganism activity is to be at maximum. If the ammonia is applied on a cold day it does not stimulate the microorganisms which process the nitrogen, but if applied on a warm day it evaporates before it can be processed by plants or by microorganisms.


Steve
good to know its only effective on clayey soils that it pretty much the case where I live but the time I would use it it's going to evaporate. would aerating help im suspect because every thing I have read and heard tells you not to fertilize 3 to 4 weeks before or after you aerate?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2010, 05:30 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 66
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
good to know its only effective on clayey soils that it pretty much the case where I live but the time I would use it it's going to evaporate. would aerating help im suspect because every thing I have read and heard tells you not to fertilize 3 to 4 weeks before or after you aerate?
I use Aerify to aerate and mix it with Natures organic lawn fertilizer at the same time with no problems. I do not core aerate any more. It is not efficient and very messy.

I would not even consider using amonia!

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Utah Fertilizer Help! MKLawnCare Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 3 06-07-2010 06:57 PM
Fertilizer quote calvarylandscapegroup General Talk 3 04-12-2010 08:59 AM
Fertilizer? tomcat172002 General Talk 2 02-21-2010 10:16 AM
Fertilizer? ABurlison General Talk 12 11-30-2008 01:15 PM
top shelf fertilizer grassguy123 Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 1 09-27-2006 06:06 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Help Spread the word...
Sprinkler Buddy
12-02-2015 08:41 AM
Today 11:15 AM
by Greg_TopYardServices
12 1,162
back surgery
Bradcook21
01-28-2016 08:51 PM
Yesterday 08:04 PM
by Chilehead
12 286
hello all
romanlandscape
01-29-2016 03:46 PM
Yesterday 10:20 AM
by Bradcook21
6 180
Finding open bids?!?
C&DPropertyManagement
Yesterday 01:48 AM
Yesterday 01:48 AM
by C&DPropertyManagement
0 47
Lawn Care Book Ranked #1
Steve
02-06-2016 12:36 AM
02-06-2016 12:36 AM
by Steve
0 66
Hi
Sellers Lawn Care
02-02-2016 01:48 PM
02-05-2016 08:03 AM
by Sellers Lawn Care
4 142
Collecting payments from...
Niagara Mowing
02-03-2016 05:21 PM
02-05-2016 08:00 AM
by Niagara Mowing
7 195
SMS assist? The good,...
jcurr33
01-27-2016 10:24 PM
02-04-2016 11:53 PM
by Steve
5 215
I need some help...
Anise
02-04-2016 01:39 PM
02-04-2016 11:51 PM
by Steve
3 108
Customers dodging the...
Rocky
11-06-2015 06:22 AM
02-04-2016 03:41 AM
by C&DPropertyManagement
7 1,471
Offering a "Trial"...
wybut076
02-01-2016 06:27 PM
02-03-2016 08:26 PM
by Just for Cuts
7 227
Iowa Caucus Predictions?
Steve
02-01-2016 06:31 PM
02-03-2016 12:40 AM
by Steve
1 89
Laying White River Rock
DiamondLawnCare
02-01-2016 08:27 PM
02-03-2016 12:17 AM
by Steve
1 105
Networking for a...
jcurr33
01-30-2016 09:26 PM
02-01-2016 06:27 PM
by Steve
4 172
Customer giving a 1099?
apmAkron
01-27-2016 07:22 PM
01-31-2016 08:55 PM
by Chilehead
6 236
happy to be here
redrobin
01-29-2016 10:45 AM
01-31-2016 08:44 PM
by Steve
1 124
Thought's on an "E-Z...
jcurr33
01-27-2016 10:48 PM
01-31-2016 08:38 PM
by Steve
4 201
Changes
Knaubone
01-30-2016 10:56 PM
01-31-2016 08:31 PM
by Steve
1 108
Thoughts on this Exmark...
googus
01-28-2016 04:24 PM
01-28-2016 08:09 PM
by Chilehead
1 134
1st year in
jcurr33
10-18-2015 05:07 PM
01-28-2016 07:49 PM
by Chilehead
6 4,124
Need opinion on zero...
Mr. Mow
01-24-2016 05:42 PM
01-28-2016 07:41 PM
by Chilehead
10 341
Opinion on liquid vs...
Bradcook21
01-25-2016 02:03 PM
01-28-2016 07:38 PM
by Chilehead
9 285
Finding property size
Gageslawncare
01-25-2016 11:08 AM
01-28-2016 12:05 PM
by Gageslawncare
10 293
Tiger TG 2661 Commercial...
lawnman1959
01-25-2016 08:12 PM
01-27-2016 07:57 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 227
Spouse as a dependent?
Steve
01-26-2016 01:51 AM
01-27-2016 10:44 AM
by Chilehead
3 187
Hello All
C&DPropertyManagement
01-23-2016 12:21 PM
01-26-2016 01:24 AM
by Steve
1 170
Credit Cards - What's in...
Shark1611
06-16-2015 04:04 PM
01-23-2016 03:43 PM
by C&DPropertyManagement
17 7,654
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 08:43 PM
01-19-2016 07:00 PM
by Steve
12 607
State of the nation 2016.
Steve
01-12-2016 12:05 AM
01-19-2016 06:57 PM
by Steve
6 362
little help? first big...
Brian3137
12-31-2015 12:39 PM
01-19-2016 06:54 PM
by Steve
23 1,048
Hi everybody...
Greg_TopYardServices
01-14-2016 08:10 AM
01-19-2016 02:47 PM
by SC93
12 436
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 12:54 PM
01-17-2016 08:48 PM
by Homeland unlimited
25 7,895
Plow controller problems
scaypa
01-12-2016 05:49 PM
01-16-2016 10:46 AM
by scaypa
4 277
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
01-15-2016 07:23 PM
by tannerduncan
1,244 427,970
Pricing issue
Mr. Mow
07-07-2015 07:15 AM
01-15-2016 11:20 AM
by djlandscaping06
23 5,387
New College Course
Dr. D
01-14-2016 01:45 PM
01-14-2016 05:35 PM
by Steve
1 203
Yelp
Shark1611
01-13-2016 10:00 AM
01-14-2016 05:32 PM
by Steve
4 259
New to the forum from...
Doug Green
01-12-2016 12:23 PM
01-14-2016 08:34 AM
by Doug Green
2 235
Facebook advertising
Just for Cuts
12-13-2015 08:49 AM
01-13-2016 10:20 PM
by Just for Cuts
12 904
Choosing local business
Doug Green
01-12-2016 12:29 PM
01-13-2016 06:12 PM
by Steve
2 395
4 Seasons Landscaping LLC
Doug Green
01-12-2016 12:56 PM
01-12-2016 12:59 PM
by Doug Green
1 255
2016 business goals
OxfordOS
01-09-2016 04:19 PM
01-12-2016 08:36 AM
by mowandblow1980
15 549
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy