Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Too young to start a business?


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
DanG DanG is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
DanG is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Too young to start a business?

Hi, my names Dan and I've been mowing my lawn for 4 years. I have gotten many complements on my work and have always wanted to start a lawn care business. There is one problem though: I'm 17 years old and am not sure if I can legally start my own business. I have saved enough money over the years to buy all the equipment I would need and even insure and incorporate my business, BUT the legal question is holding me back. Im not sure what I should do and need help! Is there any way I can start my dream business?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
justin_time justin_time is offline
Justin
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: French River, ON, Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 1,801
Rep Power: 0
justin_time is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Hi, my names Dan and I've been mowing my lawn for 4 years. I have gotten many complements on my work and have always wanted to start a lawn care business. There is one problem though: I'm 17 years old and am not sure if I can legally start my own business. I have saved enough money over the years to buy all the equipment I would need and even insure and incorporate my business, BUT the legal question is holding me back. Im not sure what I should do and need help! Is there any way I can start my dream business?
Hey Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

1st of all, your never too young to start a business. I started my business 4 years ago while I was 20. I'm sure I could of started earlier if I wanted too.

Just make sure you go register yourself as DBA (Doing business as) and like me.. I registered Just in Time Yard Services for example. After that well if you want pesticide license then you need to apply for that and whatsoever.

Well I hope I've manage to explain things
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum.

If you can't register a business name now, you already have been operating for 4 years, why not then just wait until you are 18 and you can sign all the legal documents you want.

What made you decide to get that going now?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
DanG DanG is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
DanG is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_time View Post
Hey Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

1st of all, your never too young to start a business. I started my business 4 years ago while I was 20. I'm sure I could of started earlier if I wanted too.

Just make sure you go register yourself as DBA (Doing business as) and like me.. I registered Just in Time Yard Services for example. After that well if you want pesticide license then you need to apply for that and whatsoever.

Well I hope I've manage to explain things
Wow! That clarified a lot! Do you know if its possible to get insured as well, even though I am 17?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
DanG DanG is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
DanG is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum.

If you can't register a business name now, you already have been operating for 4 years, why not then just wait until you are 18 and you can sign all the legal documents you want.

What made you decide to get that going now?
Well, I have only been doing my own lawn. When I moved to my neighborhood, I wanted to start my business but I was around 14 or 15 and my neighbor already had a small lawn care business around our neighborhood. I could've competed against him but he was older and had a pretty legit operation going. It was pretty intimidating. Now, I am older, can drive, and i'm a lot more experienced, so I am more comfortable going into business. If I cant start now, then Ill be at the county court house on my 18th birthday signing business papers. I planned on waiting until I turned 18 but the sooner the better.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM
justin_time justin_time is offline
Justin
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: French River, ON, Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 1,801
Rep Power: 0
justin_time is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Wow! That clarified a lot! Do you know if its possible to get insured as well, even though I am 17?
As far as I know, I don't know. You would have to call places that have Liability insurance and ask them. I was just lucky I found somewhere they provide me Insurance
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Dan,

Keep us posted on how all this works out for you.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
start my business meadows lawn care General Business Discussions 13 01-05-2008 06:30 AM
Obstacles young business owners face? Steve General Business Discussions 0 08-17-2006 11:45 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Having an issue with...
Mr. Mow
04-27-2016 03:58 PM
Yesterday 05:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 77
Hello From Virginia
JJand M Lawncare
04-25-2016 01:02 PM
04-27-2016 05:20 PM
by Steve
5 105
Hello from Calgary
Freshcut
04-22-2016 06:10 PM
04-25-2016 05:46 PM
by Freshcut
2 101
knowledge is Key
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-23-2016 02:23 AM
04-25-2016 02:40 PM
by Steve
2 100
Echo Bed Redefiner...
NPM_LLC
04-12-2016 10:54 AM
04-22-2016 06:15 PM
by Freshcut
4 297
Has anyone done a garden?
Brian3137
03-28-2016 10:42 AM
04-22-2016 04:42 PM
by biglee
13 9,722
What would you charge?
markty
04-18-2016 03:28 PM
04-22-2016 09:01 AM
by chris2500hd
6 248
Replaced Mower Engine
Sprinkler Buddy
04-15-2016 06:21 AM
04-19-2016 11:03 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
6 241
Hello from Oklahoma
Ron Hall
03-24-2016 06:59 PM
04-16-2016 03:51 AM
by Ron Hall
9 9,444
Laying down some stripes
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:55 PM
04-14-2016 11:55 PM
by Steve
3 314
Find out what business...
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:58 PM
04-13-2016 12:32 PM
by MATTNAPIER89
2 270
Hello my name is Matt
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:46 PM
04-13-2016 12:58 AM
by Steve
1 221
How to drop some...
nickeckes
04-11-2016 01:07 AM
04-12-2016 05:22 PM
by Steve
4 302
Trash Receptacle for a...
tannerduncan
04-12-2016 05:02 PM
04-12-2016 05:19 PM
by Steve
1 201
Small Project Lawn
tannerduncan
03-31-2016 08:21 PM
04-12-2016 05:16 PM
by Steve
7 9,328
Please Help! Bidding...
Dorali
02-15-2016 12:02 PM
04-06-2016 01:08 AM
by Steve
36 12,989
Hello
pbcleff
04-05-2016 07:45 PM
04-06-2016 12:35 AM
by Steve
1 394
Hello
llewelwa
03-18-2016 12:47 AM
04-05-2016 12:14 AM
by Steve
3 9,313
Poop and Scooping
llewelwa
04-01-2016 05:48 PM
04-05-2016 12:08 AM
by Steve
1 9,103
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
04-04-2016 05:33 PM
by WarriorLandscapingCAN
2 9,267
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy