Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

$10 a Lawn and making a profit!


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 AM
SuperiorPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am confused as to why you would want to limit your profit so drastically....

I understand there is a point where too much profit will actually cause you to loose profit due to lose of work. But in this case, too little profit will cause you to loose hope. Don't just charge what it takes you to get by. Tomorrow your truck will break down and you will need to do a repair or your mower will blow up and you will need to replace it. Or you will need to buy a bigger mower so you can do 4 yards in an hour.

The bottom line is that your overhead is more than you are thinking it is. I don't know if you are in denial or simply oblivious to it. Like I think I mentioned before, even if you don't have the overhead, charge enough so that it will help make up for it in case you ever do have the overhead. Breeze mentioned earlier that if you want to undercut the competition who charges $20, charge $19. I think that is decent advise. My opinion would be to be the best. Then go fix those $20 yards (for like $30)......

Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the guys that are charging more are having to come along and fix someone else's $10 yard job?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
I am confused as to why you would want to limit your profit so drastically....

I understand there is a point where too much profit will actually cause you to loose profit due to lose of work. But in this case, too little profit will cause you to loose hope. Don't just charge what it takes you to get by. Tomorrow your truck will break down and you will need to do a repair or your mower will blow up and you will need to replace it. Or you will need to buy a bigger mower so you can do 4 yards in an hour.

The bottom line is that your overhead is more than you are thinking it is. I don't know if you are in denial or simply oblivious to it. Like I think I mentioned before, even if you don't have the overhead, charge enough so that it will help make up for it in case you ever do have the overhead. Breeze mentioned earlier that if you want to undercut the competition who charges $20, charge $19. I think that is decent advise. My opinion would be to be the best. Then go fix those $20 yards (for like $30)......

Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the guys that are charging more are having to come along and fix someone else's $10 yard job?
LOL You read my mind. I always like to say "Ok thanks for your time, Here is my card. Give me a call when your lawn gets hacked" LOL
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Yard Elements Yard Elements is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 175
Rep Power: 5
Yard Elements is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Landscaping View Post
ok but self employment is 7.65% additionally to the 7.65% that would be deducted from your pay if you were an employee anyway. So 1 yard out of the day's bunch would pay for that.

I still think in the right situation you can make a profit charging $15 per lawn that would take you about 30 minutes to complete. I know landscapers who charge $30 an hour and they have more overhead than would be needed.

lets say you buy a used self porpelled mower in good condition for $300. A trimmer and a blower for an additional 300. if you already have a truck, then you are set for business.

What would be your overhead?

You are already paying insurance for the truck so you don't need it.
you would have gas, maintenance (wouldn't be much for a 21'' mower, etc), advertising, and depreciation of equipment.

Overhead would be

* Rent to store your equipment

*Maintaining your truck

* Getting a trimmer and blower that will do the job for $300?

*gas

*Time



$1 dollar a minute why limit yourself
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 PM
JP Landscaping JP Landscaping is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 213
Rep Power: 5
JP Landscaping is on a distinguished road
Default I agree

I agree with all of you. You are all right because you know how the business works. But if you read the first post. I talked about an employee not thinking too deeply about it would think this way.

And it is possible to make a living cutting $15 lawns but not practicle for a very long time. (I mean as an employee he was grossing $5 per yard) Unless he doesn't want to grow the business and just make somewhat more than being the employee.

as far as having to fix a lawn just because the prior guy charges less isn't always true. as a matter of fact I have a few lawns out of my route that I have subbed out to those guys charging the $20 and let me tell you this guy does a fantastic job. He has been mowing my $40 lawns, trimming, bagging, edging, and blowing off all the debri (or brooming because it looks too clean for a blower) ... and using a push mower all for $20.

I admit, after looking at the size of the lawns, I think I overpriced them. They would take about 25 minutes to finish with riding equipment. but these are in higher end neighborhoods and we offer extra services along with that price.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 PM
SuperiorPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Landscaping View Post
I agree with all of you. You are all right because you know how the business works. But if you read the first post. I talked about an employee not thinking too deeply about it would think this way.

And it is possible to make a living cutting $15 lawns but not practicle for a very long time. (I mean as an employee he was grossing $5 per yard) Unless he doesn't want to grow the business and just make somewhat more than being the employee.

as far as having to fix a lawn just because the prior guy charges less isn't always true. as a matter of fact I have a few lawns out of my route that I have subbed out to those guys charging the $20 and let me tell you this guy does a fantastic job. He has been mowing my $40 lawns, trimming, bagging, edging, and blowing off all the debri (or brooming because it looks too clean for a blower) ... and using a push mower all for $20.

I admit, after looking at the size of the lawns, I think I overpriced them. They would take about 25 minutes to finish with riding equipment. but these are in higher end neighborhoods and we offer extra services along with that price.
I see your point. I would hope that an employee would realize there is much more to it than that and also respect their boss enough to not try to under cut their boss. But, as we all know, there are some real winners out there who think they could do better than anyone else. In the end they will drive their business into the ground because of poor management and lack of business sense.

At least that is my take on it.

Eli
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 PM
JP Landscaping JP Landscaping is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 213
Rep Power: 5
JP Landscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

that is true. Eventually they find out the hard way.

As they say, just because you are a great landscaper or lawn guy doesn't mean you will be a great lawn care/landscaping business owner.

doing the actual work and running the business are two separate things.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 AM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 5
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

BINGO!

You hit the nail right on the head.
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-08-2010, 01:37 AM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Landscaping View Post

And it is possible to make a living cutting $15 lawns but not practicle for a very long time.
Only f you plan on living with your parents and driving dads truck. $15 per lawn in my area equates to about $30 per hour. I wont even get out of bed and turn on the Coffey pot for $30 per hours. If I have my A game on during this time of year I usually average about $160 per hour. This of course is a tinny pit smaller if I hire help. I am not sure why everyone ells went into business for themselves. I know this is stupid easy work and some may have started because, well they are stupid. Not to sound rude but they are uneducated and really cant do anything ells "I know a few of them" Others did it to be there own boss, to live a better life making better money than they were before. Shoot, I would charge $6,700 per lawn if I thought I could get away with it. Normally while bidding a lawn I will take a number, this number is the absolute most IO think I can make from that job, then I will knock off a few bucks just to look like a good guy. Every once in a blue moon depending on location for example I may cut my price in half for a neighbor or do it for free for a family member. My prices hover around the $40-$50 per lawn mark and thus far I have only lost one because of my prices.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 AM
SuperiorPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ok, so let me play a little evil here......

I totally agree that you guys need to charge as much as you can and still get away with it. Many of you say you won't even show up to mow a lawn for less than $xx. But lets be fair. How do you feel about it when you take your mower to the shop and they charge you $xx for the repair, even if it is simple? That is exactly why most shops have a minimum charge of $20+. Lets be fair, and honest about this, how do you really feel about that?

Did you feel the same way about this yesterday as you do now that I have pointed this out?

I am not trying to be mean, but I think this ball needs to roll both ways. This also goes for when you go to any other business in town. I find this is a very hard one for me to bite but I try to be fair in the matter. For example, if I have to buy parts from other dealers, because I can't buy them from other sources (like certain John Deere parts) or need them TODAY and don't have them in stock, I won't shy away from paying full price (even though in a round about way it gets passed on to the customer, I am not making any profit typically on these parts). But, that is a bullet I feel like I need to bite. I don't ask for a discount because they need to make a profit too. I need them to stay in business to help me out! lol I don't want to service all the losers myself! lol
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-09-2010, 01:39 AM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
Ok, so let me play a little evil here......

I totally agree that you guys need to charge as much as you can and still get away with it. Many of you say you won't even show up to mow a lawn for less than $xx. But lets be fair. How do you feel about it when you take your mower to the shop and they charge you $xx for the repair, even if it is simple? That is exactly why most shops have a minimum charge of $20+. Lets be fair, and honest about this, how do you really feel about that?

Did you feel the same way about this yesterday as you do now that I have pointed this out?

I am not trying to be mean, but I think this ball needs to roll both ways. This also goes for when you go to any other business in town. I find this is a very hard one for me to bite but I try to be fair in the matter. For example, if I have to buy parts from other dealers, because I can't buy them from other sources (like certain John Deere parts) or need them TODAY and don't have them in stock, I won't shy away from paying full price (even though in a round about way it gets passed on to the customer, I am not making any profit typically on these parts). But, that is a bullet I feel like I need to bite. I don't ask for a discount because they need to make a profit too. I need them to stay in business to help me out! lol I don't want to service all the losers myself! lol
Lawn care is not small engine repair so its hard to compare the 2. That being said nothing has gone wrong with my tractor so I have not had to work on it myself but if I did that exactly what I would do. I am not going to pay someone to work on something I am 100% capable of doing myself. As far as the push mower if it craps out it goes in the trash and I buy a new one. You see because I mow lawns for $40-$50 I can afford to do this. If I did it for $10-$15 I would be screwed in the event of equipment failure.

You see here is my feeling. The average person can NOT work hard and fast enough to mow enough $10 lawns to make any money. In order to mow enough lawns you would need to hire help which will cost you at least $8 or so an hour plus WC, You would make no money after the insurance, not to mention gas and upkeep. No matter how you look at this situation you are just pissing in the wind plain and simple. Now if you are unemployed and need to eat then fine mow $10 lawns, do it illegally under the table and do what you have to do to eat but if you are not that hard up why Screw yourself that way? Leave that for uncle Sam to do.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full time job to full time lawn care. Making the jump. Steve General Business Discussions 6 01-18-2012 09:11 AM
Making the most of lawn care business upsells? GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Marketin Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 0 08-12-2009 10:04 PM
Making the most of lawn care business upsells? GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Marketin Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 08-12-2009 10:02 PM
Making money with lawn signs? Steve General Business Discussions 8 11-08-2007 12:02 PM
Lawn Care Marketing - More Profit Stimulating Idea Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 3 11-24-2006 08:35 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
Yesterday 11:20 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
10 289
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
Yesterday 09:38 PM
by kslawn
3 119
this mower is driving me...
boog
Yesterday 12:07 PM
Yesterday 09:35 PM
by kslawn
1 61
REO calling
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 05:03 PM
Yesterday 09:23 PM
by kslawn
7 160
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 11:00 PM
Yesterday 09:08 PM
by BelleCityLawn1
8 138
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
Yesterday 08:06 PM
by Prolawnofchatt
4 155
Pay per click advertising
roostertail
02-12-2014 07:26 PM
Yesterday 07:11 PM
by yardrate
10 582
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 05:56 PM
by Tekeda1
15 301
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
04-16-2014 11:28 AM
Yesterday 11:50 AM
by Steve
1 53
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
04-16-2014 08:26 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
30 986
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
04-16-2014 07:35 PM
by stevef1201
8 166
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-16-2014 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 694
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
04-16-2014 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 82
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 240
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
04-16-2014 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 76
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
04-16-2014 10:43 AM
by Steve
3 95
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
04-16-2014 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 570
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
04-16-2014 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 200
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 149
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 284
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 174
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 89
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 284,682
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 393
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-14-2014 10:51 AM
by Steve
8 292
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 395
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 151
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
04-14-2014 10:03 AM
by Steve
5 169
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 387
Hello all
Griff20114
04-12-2014 05:08 PM
04-14-2014 09:46 AM
by Steve
1 95
Step by Step Spring Lawn...
WarriorLawnscaping
04-10-2014 07:01 AM
04-14-2014 09:43 AM
by Steve
5 207
Jeff Cowden
jcowden
04-11-2014 07:27 PM
04-14-2014 09:39 AM
by Steve
1 94
Exmark Commercial 30...
Dan Tanner
04-11-2014 05:35 AM
04-14-2014 09:37 AM
by Steve
4 169
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-14-2014 08:04 AM
by acrajchel
21 1,556
Small guy time to get a...
googus
04-08-2014 08:16 AM
04-13-2014 07:18 PM
by A. Kulak Landscaping
9 302
Weekly vs. Bi-weekly
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 01:48 PM
04-13-2014 06:03 PM
by kslawn
9 308
Weed ID help
TwinBrosLC
04-12-2014 10:39 AM
04-13-2014 07:40 AM
by stevef1201
4 144
Lexington, KY
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:06 PM
04-11-2014 09:49 PM
by acrajchel
1 121
Food Plot Management
BlackRain75
04-11-2014 10:20 AM
04-11-2014 03:51 PM
by Steve
4 123
Estimating a job
acrajchel
04-08-2014 11:07 AM
04-11-2014 03:32 PM
by Steve
6 280
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
04-11-2014 03:25 PM
by Steve
11 995
Hello....
SWFloridaLawns
04-10-2014 06:15 PM
04-11-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
2 118
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
04-10-2014 10:33 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
78 25,002
Trading Accounts
goodtimez
04-09-2014 05:42 PM
04-10-2014 01:55 PM
by Steve
2 148
Grass that has...
erock289
04-09-2014 10:21 AM
04-10-2014 01:52 PM
by Steve
3 161
Prowrap Trimmer Engine...
Steve
05-24-2006 07:05 PM
04-10-2014 01:09 PM
by Steve
10 2,198
1st annual Easter egg...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 06:58 AM
04-10-2014 01:07 PM
by Steve
1 110
Hello everyone
aceslawnandgarden
04-03-2014 06:54 PM
04-10-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
9 368
Weed control programs
Mallard91
04-02-2014 12:25 PM
04-10-2014 12:56 PM
by Steve
6 331
homeowner vs...
GoGreenerKS
04-07-2014 10:54 AM
04-10-2014 12:52 PM
by Steve
8 282
» Popular Tags
2wd ads aerator butterfly gardens buy charge christmas client craigslist credit card customers echo exmark ferris financing first truck florida flower bed georgia gopherhaul grass grass clarksville gravely health holiday holiday lighting how much to charge how to bid installation kansas city kawasaki lawn care lawn care business book lawn care business podcast lawn care business show leaf lighting brass outdoor lights llp marketing mow mowing mowing clarksville mulch mulch estimate new and restored landscapes new buisness new business new start office management payment podcast property management company redmax savannah scag schedule selling seo sole proprietorship sprayer starting a business start up lawn care business stihl subcontractor tree care unreasonable upsell walk behind walker winter money making ideas
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy