Ok. I was driving to the store for my fiance and i had a bright idea.
I thought back to December 19, 2009 when baltimore, maryland recieved 22 inches of snow and I lost several clients due to not being able to get out for several hours from being snowed in myself. I dont own a truck nor have access to one.
Several Weather sites online and local news is calling for 12-18 inches of snow for the Baltimore, Maryland region. Regardless if i park in my driveway thats in the alley or on the main road. I am still stuck until they plow which could be whenever and when they do, they will probably block me in again with a wall of snow and December 19th will come back to haunt me.
Here is my BRIGHT IDEA...... I own a pair of skiis and everything needed for skiing. The boots, bindings, ski's and poles, ski goggles, snow suit. the whole 9 yards for skiing. Now i won't be able to utilize my gas powered snow blower. However, If i am snowed in and can't drive anywhere...... I could put my skis on and tie a rope around my waist. The other end to a sled with my shovel and a bag of salt in it and do cross country style skiing to the customer's property. I calculated the distance to the several clients I know will want snow removal. 1 is about 1 mile away and 3 others within 1/2 to 1/4 mile away. Average walking speed is 3-4 mph if i can average that or better. I could take me at most 20 minutes or less to arrive at each location. I would also need to carry my boots with me but i may just remain in my ski boots.
Ok pro's I am mobile and will get tons of exercise.
cons: I do not own a sled. Not sure on the rope. I think i have tow rope for a car in the basement. worse comes to worse. I tie the rope to a snow shovel and drag it behind me and thats it.
fiance thinks I am out of my mind. My daught told me " Daddy your crazy"
Now i would like to see everyone's thoughts, comments and questions.
If that doggie is yours, you should take him/her with you. Wow! Your customers are lucky that you would go through all that trouble just for them. I hope they have a nice hot cup of cocoa waiting for you when you finish shoveling all that snow. Don't you have a friend with a truck that could give you a lift over there? Shoveling snow is fun! Don't you have somone to help? Well, good luck and stay warm & dry. Keep your head covered and feet warm. That's important.
I will say this is a good idea but it has a couple of kinks. One is do you have downhill skis or cross country skis? If you have downhill skis, you will have quite a work out, just try it around the yard a couple of times. If you have cross country skis, your one step ahead of downhill skis. My main concern would be the weight of the sled. Its going to be tough just pulling it.
I would give it a try in your yard, before you make any commitments.
after further research. It looks like it may just be my shovel and thats it. They are downhill skis. I live in a flat area. My home is at an elevation of 18 ft above sea level. 3 clients are at 27 ft about 1/2 mile away. the 1 thats 1 mile away is at 12 ft. so its relatively flat. My entire area is flat. i love it. unlike where i grew up at. I wish the dog was mine. that pic was a random pic i found on line to show the idea. I just dont want to lose any money like i did back on dec 19th. I lost out of $150. This time of year i need every penny i can. summer isnt a problem with lawn care. time for bed. and to tweak my bright idea. lol.
I considered going to sports authority or dick's sporting good and getting snow shoes. But being tight on money canceled that idea out. Excellent idea doc.
Originally Posted by Steve
If you had a snow blower, You could cut a path to some of those houses with it and I bet everyone along the way would flag you down to snow blow their property.
I seriously considered that for those within a block of me and may just do that. I plan to do clear my sidewalks and driveway atleast 3-4 times during the duration of the storm. Most customers that i shovel for expect me to only do it when its all said and done and can't afford to pay me for 4 visits. I am thinking of telling them i can either do it for but i will be coming out for 2 visits. 1 to clear and treat the surface with salt and a final visit to clear the rest. pricing varies as it has with each storm. My rates vary based on if its a dry or wet snow and how much we get.the heavier the snow. the higher the rate. dry snow up to 12 inches i normally charge 20 front and back. wet snow over 8 inches i charge 40 per visit If we get what they are caling for 18-24 inches. I may have to come out 2-4 times and with the salt application. may allow me to only come out twice. I am still working the numbers now.
Originally Posted by BREEZE2009
That is insane!!!
Just imagine wearing all your winter gear, hiking to your first customer, preparing to shovel.
After your exhausted, the next thing on your list is the hike to the next customer & repeat.
Your idea could work I suppose, but you'd be in hell for the most part. Imagine having a horrible nights sleep, then having to do all of this activity?
Don't forget, you'd need to bring a few snacks & beverages, you'd be fatigued in seconds.
Also, once you get wet, you are wet until the work day is over.
Imagine when you do finish work, wouldn't it feel like a waste of time heading back home? It'd be tedious!
When I'm done work, I wanna get home a.s.a.p! You'd be out there like a champ for awhile!
If I were you, I would lose so much morale as I see cars going by so much faster than myself.
Worst case scenario, your shovel breaks, your sled cord snaps, you lose tools...
I know the idea is insane. When i was teenager and i did lawns I used roller blades with my self propelled mower and let the mower pull me around the yard. The concept worked except for hills. Thank god i only tried it out on my parent's lawn and not anywhere else.
My idea your right could work and i woudl be in hell. I try to goto bed extra early the night before a snow storm. I forgot about the drinks and snacks. As for wanting to go back home asap. not me. When i cleared my property last week, i out for 2-3 hours clearing. driving around clearing driving around. My theory. I dont want to strip my clothes off until i am done and can rest for a few hours.
Also I normally wear 2 pair of sweat pants, pair of pants then my waterproof snow pants. Top i have on tshirt, sweatshirt and my ski jacket. I ski mask plus my built in ski jacket's waterproof hood. Then i got my ski goggles and waterproof ski gloves. The only part of me exposed to the air is little part of my face when my goggles are off. When i skiied. I always wore enough clothes so i could ski for 2-4 hours without stopping. Unlesss of course i had to go to the bathroom. That part sucks.
I decided i am going to get my skis. I do intend to try them out in my back yard. There is a 30% chance i wont ski to customers to shovel and a 70% that after testing them i'll cancel the idea out. Worse comes to worst, I can use them to goto the store when we need more food.
thanks for everyone's input. helped alot. Love the logo you made doc. something to consider if i do do the ski idea. but the odds of me doing it are highly unlikely.
I'll let yall know after the storm what i ended up doing.