Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Baby steps, lots to learn


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 AM
RedmondSnowRemoval
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb Baby steps, lots to learn

Well hello everyone, I'm a 17 year old kid with a
thing for snow and plenty of ambition to get things
going . I'm currently in the works of piecing together
a plowing service, right now I have an atv with a 4 foot blade
and have access to a vehicle capable of plowing , it's a 2002 dodge ram 1500. I'm only focusing on residental accounts right now so I don't need a professional set up, just something that's worth the money and reliable. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,616
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Welcome to our forum!

That is fantastic!

What have you been doing so far to promote your services?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 PM
RedmondSnowRemoval
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As of right now, its word of mouth, i am going to put some fliers in this and near by neighborhoods. Its a work in progress, but i really would like to plow with my truck, i don't have any knowledge about plowing nor the set up. I only know what i leaned for installing the plow on my atv. Any brands too look at , stay away from?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,616
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

I'd say, what ever you got to work with, I'd work with.

What kinds of responses have you been getting from others once they know you are offering snow plowing services?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
arthur712's Avatar
arthur712 arthur712 is offline
Artie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cocoa FL
Age: 42
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 6
arthur712 is on a distinguished road
Default

Welcome to the forum!!
__________________
Artie Crowley
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedmondSnowRemoval View Post
Well hello everyone, I'm a 17 year old kid with a
thing for snow and plenty of ambition to get things
going . I'm currently in the works of piecing together
a plowing service, right now I have an atv with a 4 foot blade
and have access to a vehicle capable of plowing , it's a 2002 dodge ram 1500. I'm only focusing on residental accounts right now so I don't need a professional set up, just something that's worth the money and reliable. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Plowing doesn't necessarily fly when it comes to people choosing snow removal services.

The best you could do with a plow is push the snow further into a driveway, or with your ATV, you may be able to push the snow out & onto the street, but then where does it go?

Depending on some of the storms we have in Canada, shoving the snow against the curb will just not work.

As for an ATV, there are laws against driving them on certain roads. If that may be the case in your area, you'd have to haul it job to job by the means of another vehicle.

If you do snow removal in the more open parts of town or country, an ATV would probably be legal, & you will most likely have more areas to push the snow. Not guaranteed.

If you would be able to find a reliable snow blower, & be able to transport it by truck & ramp, you would be better off.

The things you have to look at are;

Efficiency, Expenses, & profit, vs working for another company (McDonalds).

With the way you tackle a job, is it going to be more profitable & maintain it's security, or will you have to really lose sleep & stress out to make the money you want.

When I started off with Lawn Service, I thought I was doing so much & receiving so little. I wasn't even making minimum wage. Though the problem wasn't anything other than finding customers.

The problem with snow removal revolves around time, & the lack of it. Snow removal is a time for rushing & getting the most done in the least amount of time = profit.

It's hardly worth it if you have to sacrifice your health.

Even at my young age, from doing strenuous work I have felt my heart tense up & cause me grief.

Labor is 20% of the problem, 80% of it is stress. Gaining & maintaining a customer base that I can profit from, paper work & scheduling, keeping everyone happy while sacrificing my own happiness, sleep deprivation, having too big of a work load. It's possible to eventually manage, but it's not something to be proud of.

I know I can manage 50 customers, though I always think about how much more work am I doing just to beat having any minimum wage job?

Running a business means sacrificing everything you once knew, & leading almost a double life inside of the business. You will have to do everything, become 2 people in order to make your business take flight.

You are not hired to do labor alone like other jobs, which takes the fun out of the business for the first little while. Though being independent for most is almost worth the cons we will all face.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
M&A Lawn Care's Avatar
M&A Lawn Care M&A Lawn Care is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Age: 23
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 6
M&A Lawn Care is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedmondSnowRemoval View Post
Well hello everyone, I'm a 17 year old kid with a
thing for snow and plenty of ambition to get things
going . I'm currently in the works of piecing together
a plowing service, right now I have an atv with a 4 foot blade
and have access to a vehicle capable of plowing , it's a 2002 dodge ram 1500. I'm only focusing on residental accounts right now so I don't need a professional set up, just something that's worth the money and reliable. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.
I am eighteen years old and have been doing lawn care and landscaping for several years. I took some time off last winter to go exchange ideas with my brother inlaw who owns diamond in the rough lawn care and snow removal. He lives in vermont. From my experience with him and helping him with snow removal. I would suggest looking at walkbehind snow blowers if you are just doing driveways.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,616
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
When I started off with Lawn Service, I thought I was doing so much & receiving so little. I wasn't even making minimum wage. Though the problem wasn't anything other than finding customers.
Can you tell us more of what you mean by this?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
RedmondSnowRemoval
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Plowing doesn't necessarily fly when it comes to people choosing snow removal services.

The best you could do with a plow is push the snow further into a driveway, or with your ATV, you may be able to push the snow out & onto the street, but then where does it go?

Depending on some of the storms we have in Canada, shoving the snow against the curb will just not work.

As for an ATV, there are laws against driving them on certain roads. If that may be the case in your area, you'd have to haul it job to job by the means of another vehicle.

If you do snow removal in the more open parts of town or country, an ATV would probably be legal, & you will most likely have more areas to push the snow. Not guaranteed.

If you would be able to find a reliable snow blower, & be able to transport it by truck & ramp, you would be better off.

The things you have to look at are;

Efficiency, Expenses, & profit, vs working for another company (McDonalds).

With the way you tackle a job, is it going to be more profitable & maintain it's security, or will you have to really lose sleep & stress out to make the money you want.

When I started off with Lawn Service, I thought I was doing so much & receiving so little. I wasn't even making minimum wage. Though the problem wasn't anything other than finding customers.

The problem with snow removal revolves around time, & the lack of it. Snow removal is a time for rushing & getting the most done in the least amount of time = profit.

It's hardly worth it if you have to sacrifice your health.

Even at my young age, from doing strenuous work I have felt my heart tense up & cause me grief.

Labor is 20% of the problem, 80% of it is stress. Gaining & maintaining a customer base that I can profit from, paper work & scheduling, keeping everyone happy while sacrificing my own happiness, sleep deprivation, having too big of a work load. It's possible to eventually manage, but it's not something to be proud of.

I know I can manage 50 customers, though I always think about how much more work am I doing just to beat having any minimum wage job?

Running a business means sacrificing everything you once knew, & leading almost a double life inside of the business. You will have to do everything, become 2 people in order to make your business take flight.

You are not hired to do labor alone like other jobs, which takes the fun out of the business for the first little while. Though being independent for most is almost worth the cons we will all face.

Thank you very much for the tips, as far as driving on the roads with my atv; I live in a "quad friendly" town where the police will not bother you if your driving responsibility. But i do use my pick up to transport the atv to out of neighborhood places. I live in a rather rural connecticut town, sidewalks are un unheard of peice of landscape. There for theres always plenty of space to pile up the snow. The snowblower is a good idea, matter of fact i do have a small 2-stroke single stage blower, its decent and clears a 16" path.
I Recently read an article on the site that explaned how offering "free" services can help build a network of customers. Where do i start with this, i mean its a small town? The hardware store were i work does attract alot of town folk,i could ask my boss if he wouldnt mind letting me put up some fliers.

In reality i would like to stray away from the quad becasue its somewhat cumbersome to operate and unconfertable in cold weather. My goal is to either purchase a plow set up for my dodge, or buy a vehicle that is designated "just for plowing" possibly an old chevy or ford?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,616
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I Recently read an article on the site that explaned how offering "free" services can help build a network of customers. Where do i start with this, i mean its a small town? The hardware store were i work does attract alot of town folk,i could ask my boss if he wouldnt mind letting me put up some fliers.
What kind of things were you considering to offer? Like possibly offering free plowing to a certain amount of seniors? Or veterans or something else?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
plowing, setup

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Baby? picframer General Talk 10 11-17-2009 09:48 PM
I'm Trash Baby! CHEESE2009 General Talk 4 09-14-2009 11:52 AM
4 Right Steps = For Steps in the Right Direction ritchiem Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 2 11-20-2007 07:24 PM
10 Steps to Better Communication Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 0 12-18-2006 02:57 PM
5-Steps to better customer service ritchiem General Business Discussions 8 03-20-2006 08:41 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
09-30-2014 06:42 PM
Today 05:57 PM
by TRV
12 1,438
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
Today 04:35 PM
by achri12
26 2,648
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
Today 04:29 PM
by achri12
3 8,622
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
Today 10:27 AM
by kslawn
6 437
Happy Thanksgiving!
Steve
Today 09:48 AM
Today 09:48 AM
by Steve
0 31
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
Yesterday 10:30 PM
by Just Cuts
1,194 349,095
Contract or no contract?
TRV
11-20-2014 09:18 PM
Yesterday 09:23 PM
by stevef1201
5 302
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
Yesterday 09:16 PM
by stevef1201
9 360
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
Yesterday 07:32 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
4 462
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
Yesterday 07:22 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
178 14,330
Pics for website
tbtigers03
11-21-2014 05:40 PM
Yesterday 12:12 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 263
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
Yesterday 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 86
WNY saying Hi.
Sargewesser
11-25-2014 07:27 AM
Yesterday 11:20 AM
by Steve
1 92
How to: Use Thumbtack...
acrajchel
11-17-2014 06:39 PM
Yesterday 11:19 AM
by Steve
18 672
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
Yesterday 10:58 AM
by Steve
10 421
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 12:45 PM
Yesterday 10:57 AM
by Steve
22 6,317
Billboards for marketing
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-16-2014 08:39 PM
Yesterday 10:40 AM
by Steve
14 481
How much do you up sell...
Essex Groundskeeping
11-23-2014 07:13 PM
11-24-2014 06:29 PM
by stevef1201
8 244
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 05:56 PM
11-24-2014 05:49 PM
by biglee
16 3,287
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
11-24-2014 04:32 PM
by acrajchel
4 711
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
11-23-2014 07:40 PM
by Just for Cuts
12 376
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
11-22-2014 10:49 PM
by Just for Cuts
16 601
Belt dealer problem
googus
11-21-2014 08:45 AM
11-21-2014 06:36 PM
by Steve
2 205
What is going on with...
biglee
11-14-2014 03:04 PM
11-20-2014 02:50 PM
by biglee
40 1,061
My advice for new guys
avetslawncare
11-15-2014 09:32 AM
11-19-2014 01:47 PM
by biglee
10 603
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
10-23-2014 02:23 PM
11-19-2014 12:39 PM
by acrajchel
28 1,973
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 10:19 PM
11-18-2014 04:24 PM
by acrajchel
14 1,547
Leaf removal
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 05:14 PM
11-17-2014 07:34 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,284
sod job
SGlawncare
10-30-2014 09:21 PM
11-17-2014 07:10 PM
by acrajchel
7 869
Customer wants me to...
Mr. Mow
11-09-2014 07:13 AM
11-17-2014 06:48 PM
by acrajchel
10 642
Hello!
Brian3137
11-11-2014 07:15 PM
11-17-2014 06:46 PM
by acrajchel
14 563
small biz in Phoenix,AZ
anthonyramos1
11-08-2014 09:35 PM
11-17-2014 05:59 PM
by acrajchel
2 397
Client won't pay...
WesleySnips
10-30-2014 03:53 PM
11-17-2014 05:37 PM
by acrajchel
22 1,486
Government contracts
avetslawncare
11-15-2014 08:50 AM
11-17-2014 12:59 PM
by Steve
2 343
Need help on deciding a...
Brian3137
11-10-2014 06:32 PM
11-17-2014 12:44 PM
by Steve
12 611
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 10:51 PM
11-16-2014 07:54 AM
by stevef1201
8 1,696
So how do you guys...
Mr. Mow
10-26-2014 08:55 AM
11-15-2014 08:44 AM
by avetslawncare
14 1,822
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
11-13-2014 08:35 AM
by jrs.landscaping
81 32,009
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 03:45 PM
11-12-2014 05:05 PM
by stevef1201
14 1,785
A little hang up in snow...
stevef1201
11-08-2014 07:05 AM
11-12-2014 12:51 PM
by Steve
4 523
Bi-weekly winter...
lxarth
11-04-2014 08:37 PM
11-12-2014 10:06 AM
by WesleySnips
9 735
taking first steps...
sizemorelawncare
11-10-2014 08:24 PM
11-11-2014 01:21 PM
by Steve
1 414
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
11-11-2014 08:12 AM
by Just for Cuts
4 480
Business Cards
crieg122
10-25-2014 01:03 PM
11-11-2014 07:56 AM
by Just for Cuts
12 1,441
How the unregister?
alive101
11-04-2014 07:39 AM
11-10-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
4 690
Belt adjustment question
googus
11-05-2014 06:43 AM
11-10-2014 01:38 PM
by Steve
5 595
Podcast
Shark1611
11-07-2014 05:42 PM
11-10-2014 11:41 AM
by Steve
1 389
hi, from Minnesota
rjklohn
11-07-2014 02:21 AM
11-07-2014 01:44 PM
by Steve
1 406
New to snow plowing
SS.Lawncare
11-05-2014 04:00 PM
11-07-2014 01:21 PM
by Steve
6 672
New Member
tonyap
11-05-2014 10:35 PM
11-07-2014 01:15 PM
by Steve
1 447
» Popular Tags
4wd aerocore apartment bid apartment complex billy goat brushcutter bush charge christmas deliquentaccounts ditches employee problems equipment rental estimate exmark ferris first truck foreman georgia gopherhaul holiday how much to charge how to bid husqvarna hydraulic jobs labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic mowing mr dave mulch mulch price new business ordinance podcast profit on employee push versus ride running a business savannah scag v-ride search engine optimization seo shreaded small engine repair starting a business start up lawn care business steep lawns stihl toro tractor auger trailer trimmer rack truck new used landscape walk behind walker won't return wood wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy