You could either get some doorhangers and hang them without talking to someone or if you insist on talking to them (probably the best option) still take something along for them to look at.
Whatever your approach, follow some basic rules. These rules are not to poke fun at anyone or be funny. You would be surprised how little things are overlooked.
1. Brush your teeth. People will be distracted by your bad breath and will just be trying to get you out of there instead of really listening. If you are a smoker (I am) carry some mints. I wouldn't recommend gum as someone smacking gum can become distracting as well. A mint can fit comfortably in your jaw without them even noticing that you have something in your mouth.
2. Since we are on smoking....This is a touchy subject for some. I am a smoker! I have rights! However, despite how 'unfair' it may be for someone to pass judgement on you for being a smoker, it is inevitable. I don't smoke when doing business!
3. Keep noise down. I know when I am on my way to a potential sale, I like to pump myself up with some music. When you arrive at someones house however, have it turned down. Better yet, when you are in a neighborhood, don't blair your music. This is most unprofessional.
4. Dress professionally. I understand, we cut grass. I'm not saying where a suit and tie to the door. That would appear ridiculous to people anyways. What I do recommend though is investing $20-$30 in a nice polo shirt with your company's name and/or logo on it. Tuck it in. It looks much neater.
5. Don't skip houses! This one hits a personal note with me. A buddy was with me passing out doorhangers one day. I happened to look over at him and he was walking by a house without hanging one. When we got to the end of the block, I asked him why he didn't hang a flyer there. He said "Well, their grass was well maintained, they probably have someone they are happy with already." The next block he does the same thing and I notice. This time a lady happens to be walking out to sit on her porch as he is walking through her yard, passing her up. She is looking at us like "what the hell is going on out here?" I walked over and talked to her, giving her a flyer. That was the last doorhanging he ever did with me. I think it makes you look uncredible. Im not saying the trailer in the middle of town with 15 cars on blocks that havent been mowed around in 5 years should be on your list to hit but dont pass people by because their grass looks nice. Who cares about losing credibility with that trailer anyways?
6. My hands are tired, if you would like more tips let me know and I'll post later.
Good luck sir!