Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Greetings from Bristol, England


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM
skennard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Greetings from Bristol, England

Hi all, I know I'm a long way from most of you but I came across this site while looking for inspiration for my marketing and sales planning for next year...

I run Steve's Garden Services www.stevesgardenservices.biz in Bristol and started in May 2009 after being out of work for a number of months due to the economic climate. I carry out grass cutting, hedge cutting and general maintenance and have had a fairly good first year. The hardest thing has been getting my head round estimating jobs. Some I've done well on and a few have been a complete nightmare so any guidance on estimating would be gratefully received.
Marketing has been another challenge and am still looking for ideas on marketing that is cost effective and works. Currently I advertise in a few local magazines, use Google Adwords and drop my business card door to door.
Anyone got any ideas on what products or services that are good to offer between now and March that might see me through the British Winter?
Look forward to being part of the forum.
Steve
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 PM
StartALawnCareBusiness's Avatar
StartALawnCareBusiness StartALawnCareBusiness is offline
Keith
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 0
StartALawnCareBusiness is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Hi Steve:

I see you have visited my website and I believe my associate has already answered your email.

I did not realize that you are from Bristol. I have been to your area of the country a few times. Most notably; the Cotswalds to visit friends. That is such a beautiful area of England, you are lucky.

My first visit to Bristol was just after college during a summer of backpacking. I hitchhiked from Bristol to Liverpool on an excursion. I was standing out on the motorway with my thumb out. A policeman stopped to tell me I couldn't be there. When I told him my story, he kindly gave me a ride to the nearest services area. A lorry driver then gave me a ride to within 2 blocks of my Grandmother's house in Liverpool.

Very fond memories of Bristol.

Funnily enough, I just got back from a very quick trip to the Wirral to visit my Aunt and cousins last week.

Back in the U.S. now.

Ask all the questions you want...I'll try to help where I can.

Keith

Start A Lawn Care Business



Quote:
Originally Posted by skennard View Post
Hi all, I know I'm a long way from most of you but I came across this site while looking for inspiration for my marketing and sales planning for next year...

I run Steve's Garden Services www.stevesgardenservices.biz in Bristol and started in May 2009 after being out of work for a number of months due to the economic climate. I carry out grass cutting, hedge cutting and general maintenance and have had a fairly good first year. The hardest thing has been getting my head round estimating jobs. Some I've done well on and a few have been a complete nightmare so any guidance on estimating would be gratefully received.
Marketing has been another challenge and am still looking for ideas on marketing that is cost effective and works. Currently I advertise in a few local magazines, use Google Adwords and drop my business card door to door.
Anyone got any ideas on what products or services that are good to offer between now and March that might see me through the British Winter?
Look forward to being part of the forum.
Steve
__________________
Start a profitable lawn care business.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 PM
arthur712's Avatar
arthur712 arthur712 is offline
Artie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cocoa FL
Age: 42
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 6
arthur712 is on a distinguished road
Default

Welcome to The Forum Steve!

Great to have you on the forum, Please bring more members from the UK.

I have notice a good amount of my buyers from the UK the last couple of months. I had a couple of them from Bristol, So you may see Our Vehicle Card Holder out there.

Check out our Drawing for free stuff!
(If you win I will only charge $5 US for shipping)

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=10007

Good Luck!
__________________
Artie Crowley
www.marketingholders.com

www.mytakeacard.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,285
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Hi Steve,

Welcome to our forum!

Quote:
The hardest thing has been getting my head round estimating jobs.
Have you played around with the online lawn care business estimators yet? I think they might help.

Quote:
Some I've done well on and a few have been a complete nightmare so any guidance on estimating would be gratefully received.
Can you give us a little insight into your estimating procedures? Which kind of jobs have you found worked well so far and which kinds had become nightmares and why so? What happened with those jobs?

Quote:
Marketing has been another challenge and am still looking for ideas on marketing that is cost effective and works.
Are you a member of any local social organizations that you can hand out business cards too? Do your friends, family and neighbors all know you are now in business? Have you given them a few extra business cards they can hand out to their contacts as well?

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas on what products or services that are good to offer between now and March that might see me through the British Winter?
How big of a business is outdoor holiday decorations in your area? What about small handyman types of jobs in and around the house? If you are handy you could offer them.

Also are you asking your current customers if they need anything to help winterize their homes? Are there any projects they have put on the back burner and just haven't gotten to yet? You might be surprised what they need help with!
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2009, 06:04 AM
skennard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Thanks for the warm welcome

[quote=Steve;59481]Hi Steve,

Welcome to our forum!



Quote:
Have you played around with the online lawn care business estimators yet? I think they might help.
Thanks for the welcome, as a matter of fact I did start looking at the estimators yesterday and bought the multi deal yesterday which you have kindly sent me and I can't wait to start experimenting with them.

Quote:
Can you give us a little insight into your estimating procedures? Which kind of jobs have you found worked well so far and which kinds had become nightmares and why so? What happened with those jobs?
I only started my business in May so didn't really have any guidance for estimating. I turn up at a potenetial customer premises have a look at what needs to be done and go with a gut instinct and see if I get a yes no or maybe. I have so far avoided charging an hourly rate but rather look at a whole job and give a punt.
The one that has caused me most problems was my 1st commercial job for clearing weeds out of a communal bed and laying weed fabric and mulch and low maintenance plants.
I measured the site got the material estimates from my trade suppliers and considered my time and sent of the proposal good to go. I got the job bought the materials and booked the date in for the job. The weeds and soil turned out to be real beasts to sort out so had to hire a rotavator to tear it all up which cost an extra £45. I then had to go get the bark chippings as the minimum order was 3 bags at a silly price and going and collecting was about £15 cheaper each bag plus I thought I only needed 2 bags... So I had to go get a 3rd bag and of course I hadn't factored in the extra hour to go and get each bag, doh! Anyway the job to nearly 2 days instead of my estimate of about a day and a bit. So with the materials cost and £30.00 minimum dumping fee the council impose I just about earnt £70.00 from the the job for working nearly 2 days to complete it. The only reason I managed this was beacuse I got nearly 50% off the plants at trade. My profit should have been at least £250. Effectively if I ignored the plant prices I had done this job for free... The housing association was pleased with my work and they put a testimonial on my web site and maybe I'll get some more work from them in future which I will make sure I price accurately. This is why I need to get my pricing sorted.



Quote:
Are you a member of any local social organizations that you can hand out business cards too? Do your friends, family and neighbors all know you are now in business? Have you given them a few extra business cards they can hand out to their contacts as well?
Not at the moment but I am looking at the local Business Link organisation, there are others but their fees are prohibitive for me at the moment. I also went along to a BNI meeting the other month and I'm still not sure what to make of them as found them a bit clique and were more financial investment types who thought they were the muts nuts. Also think the joining price of £900 is a bit of a joke!



Quote:
How big of a business is outdoor holiday decorations in your area? What about small handyman types of jobs in and around the house? If you are handy you could offer them.
Am looking into this but want to try and develop my core business of garden maintenance at the moment.

Quote:
Also are you asking your current customers if they need anything to help winterize their homes? Are there any projects they have put on the back burner and just haven't gotten to yet? You might be surprised what they need help with!
No I hadn't thought of that, how do you mean winterise as ther are special companies that do insultation and the like here in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartALawnCareBusiness View Post
Hi Steve:

Quote:
I see you have visited my website and I believe my associate has already answered your email.
Yes I bought your program yesterday and am looking forward to receiving it and learning the tricks of the trade At least I'll be prepared for next years grass cutting season.

Quote:
I did not realize that you are from Bristol. I have been to your area of the country a few times. Most notably; the Cotswalds to visit friends. That is such a beautiful area of England, you are lucky.
Yes England is great when it's nice weather but most of the time it's a bit hit and miss...

My first visit to Bristol was just after college during a summer of backpacking. I hitchhiked from Bristol to Liverpool on an excursion. I was standing out on the motorway with my thumb out. A policeman stopped to tell me I couldn't be there. When I told him my story, he kindly gave me a ride to the nearest services area. A lorry driver then gave me a ride to within 2 blocks of my Grandmother's house in Liverpool.

Very fond memories of Bristol.

Funnily enough, I just got back from a very quick trip to the Wirral to visit my Aunt and cousins last week.

Back in the U.S. now.

Ask all the questions you want...I'll try to help where I can.

Keith

Start A Lawn Care Business

Last edited by skennard; 10-23-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,285
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Not at the moment but I am looking at the local Business Link organisation, there are others but their fees are prohibitive for me at the moment. I also went along to a BNI meeting the other month and I'm still not sure what to make of them as found them a bit clique and were more financial investment types who thought they were the muts nuts. Also think the joining price of £900 is a bit of a joke!
You hit on a topic that drives me nuts. We may have a few differences in our business organizations but here there is a Chamber of Commerce. I think they charge hundreds of dollars to join even when you are just getting started.

I was looking around at different chamber of commerce group websites to see how much they charge and I couldn't find one that offered a price until you filled out a form that included the number of employees you have. You know when they hide the price, it's going to be high.

I finally found the U.S. Chamber of Commerce site and the cost for the basic membership is $300!!!

It's ludicrous. This is why I think these groups fail. They need to make the group free for new members for 1 or 2 years if you are a start up. They need to open the doors and welcome the new entrepreneurs and get them started. Get them networking and help them succeed.

Very few start ups are going to see the value in spending hundreds of dollars to join and when they do join, they don't find the group full of other start up business owners.

Ideally I think you want to join a group and feel like these are my brothers in arms. We are all united in this goal of ours to see if we can make this work. We want to be around others who are experiencing ups and downs so we can feel we relate to them. Then we can share our own ups and downs with them and not feel out of place.

Ultimately I think it's this kind of frustration that leads to forums such as this one. Where there is no fee to join and you can read and learn or simply vent.

It's a shame too because the chamber of commerce turns its back on those it should be welcoming and ultimately makes itself irrelevant.

What's your view on this?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2009, 11:18 AM
skennard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Business support organisations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You hit on a topic that drives me nuts. We may have a few differences in our business organizations but here there is a Chamber of Commerce. I think they charge hundreds of dollars to join even when you are just getting started.

I was looking around at different chamber of commerce group websites to see how much they charge and I couldn't find one that offered a price until you filled out a form that included the number of employees you have. You know when they hide the price, it's going to be high.

I finally found the U.S. Chamber of Commerce site and the cost for the basic membership is $300!!!

It's ludicrous. This is why I think these groups fail. They need to make the group free for new members for 1 or 2 years if you are a start up. They need to open the doors and welcome the new entrepreneurs and get them started. Get them networking and help them succeed.

Very few start ups are going to see the value in spending hundreds of dollars to join and when they do join, they don't find the group full of other start up business owners.

Ideally I think you want to join a group and feel like these are my brothers in arms. We are all united in this goal of ours to see if we can make this work. We want to be around others who are experiencing ups and downs so we can feel we relate to them. Then we can share our own ups and downs with them and not feel out of place.

Ultimately I think it's this kind of frustration that leads to forums such as this one. Where there is no fee to join and you can read and learn or simply vent.

It's a shame too because the chamber of commerce turns its back on those it should be welcoming and ultimately makes itself irrelevant.

What's your view on this?
Yes it drives me nuts as well and the worse thing is that the small businesses like myself which often need the most help to start with cannot afford to access it. As I mentioned the local Business Link organization here in the UK are government backed which might be seen as a good thing but others not so great. For example the British government have spent a fortune to get the UK on line for submitting Tax returns, company submissions and the like and I found when I logged onto the Business Link site for the 1st time I had to answer a load of questions and use my Government Gateway ID and was immediately met with have you filed on line, have you done this etc, etc before I event got the part of the site about local business in my area. I had a look around and there was a lot of information there but as you can imagine a lot of it was government sponsored or provided this or that organization out of the kindness of there heart (yeah right I'm sure the government sanitized the article or you could be sure the company would offer you a special deal that you probably can't afford.) Sorry to be cynical but there seems to be very little genuine help to small businesses which is why forums like this are so popular as they deal with the real world.

I've just looked up the Bristol Chamber of Commerce website and had to fill in a contact form before they would show me the pricing and it turns out to be £303.65 (thats nearly
$500) for a sole trader which is a lot for a new business, they seem to offer a load of benefits but I'd need to know some members who are already getting benefit out of membership before I would be tempted to sign up.

There is also the Federation of Small Business which claim to be about everything small business and there membership starts at £200. I remember contacting them earlier on this year and I got a call back but went to my answer phone, from some posh lady asking me to call back. So I did about lunchtime but it went straight to their answer phone so expect I called them when they were having tea and biscuits or something and I left a message. Six months later I got another call from the same lady asking me to call back which I did and same story, never actually got to speak to someone. So in summary the FSB is either a one woman band who like her regular breaks or quite frankly they don't really give a toss about the small businesses they claim to support. Anyway I'd better stop here else I could go on ranting for ages about small business support in the UK and just pray that forums like this keep up the good work and hopefully get some other members from Britain joining...

I believe there are other organizations but I expect they are much the same as I've found so far but I am open to be shown different.

Last edited by skennard; 10-25-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,285
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

I am with you on all that.

I would say finding customers now, comes down to meeting people and talking to people. The more people you talk to while you are out and about during your day providing services, the better. It may be slowly at first but it will grow if you keep up with it.

Keep us posted on how everything goes.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New England Spring Fertilzation geckodolphin81 Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 1 03-10-2009 10:52 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
Today 08:50 PM
by phlawncare
2 58
How do I approach...
Bradcook21
Today 01:48 AM
Today 08:41 PM
by Bradcook21
6 110
Fuel Can Spouts
Shark1611
08-16-2014 09:09 AM
Today 08:23 PM
by SGL1
11 237
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
Today 08:57 AM
Today 05:08 PM
by stevef1201
3 76
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Today 05:03 PM
by stevef1201
6 547
yearly contract help...
jrob0691
Today 04:09 PM
Today 04:09 PM
by jrob0691
0 17
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
Today 01:43 PM
by Steve
9 249
Hello
M2Dave
Today 12:32 AM
Today 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 33
New Landscaping Business
rekon32
08-16-2014 02:26 PM
Today 12:33 PM
by SouthallMowing
8 305
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 04:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
100 5,941
Downed Tree Chop Bid
WesleySnips
08-16-2014 03:47 PM
Yesterday 01:44 PM
by SGL1
10 303
60 inch honda/bunton...
pblawncare
08-17-2014 11:30 AM
08-18-2014 03:19 PM
by Steve
2 101
Replacement Parts -...
nicholas-KC
08-16-2014 08:40 AM
08-18-2014 03:16 PM
by Steve
4 155
Preparing the soil
Billy Goat
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
08-18-2014 03:01 PM
by Steve
1 99
What to pay help
phlawncare
08-04-2014 08:33 PM
08-18-2014 10:33 AM
by jrs.landscaping
29 864
Hello
Jeff1
08-07-2014 11:18 PM
08-15-2014 11:53 PM
by Jeff1
11 390
Lie #2 RESIDENTIAL...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-06-2014 05:02 AM
08-15-2014 01:46 PM
by mattthelawnguy
54 6,307
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
08-01-2014 03:31 PM
08-15-2014 08:46 AM
by kslawn
18 575
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
08-14-2014 02:37 AM
by BlackRain75
12 1,732
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
08-13-2014 03:34 PM
by Steve
3 157
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
08-13-2014 03:29 PM
by Steve
1 198
Hello from Jacksonville,...
JM Lawn Care
08-10-2014 07:15 AM
08-13-2014 07:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
9 300
Hello everyone new to...
maddyandrays
08-11-2014 04:51 PM
08-12-2014 08:58 PM
by Shark1611
2 155
Walk behinds
hpruitcei
08-07-2014 06:28 PM
08-12-2014 02:35 PM
by mattthelawnguy
7 406
New name help
stevef1201
08-10-2014 04:27 PM
08-12-2014 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 279
my little green dilemmas
Lawn Techie
08-03-2014 11:47 AM
08-11-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
7 395
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
08-02-2014 01:02 AM
08-11-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
6 403
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
08-11-2014 01:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
13 681
Covering all the bases
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:11 AM
08-08-2014 01:41 PM
by Steve
1 227
New from Florida
ADE
08-06-2014 08:40 PM
08-08-2014 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 310
JOB - Landscape Install...
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
by janslawncare
0 196
Battery power tools or...
Steve
08-07-2014 12:24 PM
08-07-2014 05:18 PM
by mattthelawnguy
2 204
My client just told me...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-04-2014 08:39 AM
08-06-2014 11:14 PM
by grassdoctore
12 531
Illegal spraying
GoGreenerKS
07-04-2014 09:11 AM
08-06-2014 02:03 PM
by Steve
13 1,151
Mowing the hills
prmenter@gmail.com
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
08-06-2014 01:40 PM
by Steve
20 1,355
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
08-06-2014 10:29 AM
by eastsidelandcare
5 577
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
08-05-2014 07:12 PM
by TheBeast
30 1,959
Late charge
Simon Abousaada
07-30-2014 07:23 PM
08-05-2014 06:46 PM
by TheBeast
12 783
buy out a lawn care...
rvezakis
08-05-2014 01:38 PM
08-05-2014 06:40 PM
by TheBeast
10 484
Please help
unitedlawncare48867
03-26-2014 08:29 PM
08-05-2014 05:27 PM
by TheBeast
27 1,566
Help with Estimate
donslawns
08-02-2014 09:10 AM
08-05-2014 02:24 PM
by Steve
6 440
Stuck again!!!!
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-01-2014 11:02 PM
08-05-2014 09:05 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
10 450
Mow and leaf cleanup bid
SGL1
07-29-2014 07:28 PM
08-05-2014 07:22 AM
by petscanning
25 951
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
08-04-2014 06:53 PM
by kslawn
17 742
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
08-04-2014 01:09 PM
by Steve
48 5,771
long time no see
Tuscan Gardens
08-02-2014 03:21 PM
08-04-2014 12:04 PM
by Steve
1 275
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
08-04-2014 11:58 AM
by Steve
2 318
trimming back shrubs
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 06:14 AM
08-04-2014 11:52 AM
by Steve
6 420
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 06:13 PM
08-04-2014 11:50 AM
by Steve
3 350
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 08:51 AM
08-02-2014 07:55 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
24 3,499
» Popular Tags
4wd 34'' apartment complex auger blades butterfly gardens charge christmas light hanging credit card customers exmark ferris financing first truck georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business health holiday how much to charge john deere quik trac kansas city landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo leaf lighting marketing mechanic monthly mow mulch mulch price new and restored landscapes new buisness new business patio install payment podcast property management company pto running a business savannah scag schedule seo snow plowing starting a business start up lawn care business stihl top dresser toro toro grand stand trailer tree care trimmer rack walker winter winter services
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy