Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Job Site Pics

General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Andy

picframer will become famous soon enough
Default Job Site Pics

I thought I might share one of our job site pics, I have been at this site with two staff for two weeks we still have two weeks of work but it shows you what a CUT can really do, at this site I have a 17D, 2520 and a 3320.

The client took before pics, mine are not that great as we have a severe rain warning, the job for today was to install a drain along the driveway, we removed around 20 Tandem truck loads of roots, peat moss and basically anything under the roots until we hit the bed rock, we kept some areas and placed mulch in, I wish you could have seen this before we started it was a mess, then again it still looks like a mess but we are on the home stretch.

We made a pile of I would guess 60 yards of top soil we were able to same, moved around 300 tonís of rock that will be a retaining wall to the front right of the house, installed a safe walking path to the oil tank with a mini retain wall and are making the driveway wider as it wasnít safe and they had driven off it sever times in the winter.

I sent 7 hours there today with one staff working on a drainage system, we finished it in the rain and there are heavy rain warnings, had we not it would have been enough to wash the driveway out, this is a massive areas.

In the images show up in order here is a brief desc:

1. This is whare the drain has to go on the left side as they had so much run off in the winter they could not get up the driveway, to the left is the area we are clearing to the bedrock, they love bedrock and we will build gardens in areas next year, mainly shrubs and other low maintenance flowers and small trees
2. Shows areas we are leaving, mulching is being worked on
3. Shows rocks we removed and we will build a rock retaining wall with built in granite steps to bring the area by the well head up to grade and give them a small lawn
4. The small path we built with a mini rock wall, this was simply dangerous before and I am shocked their oil barrow didnít fall over, they had no path before to their steps
5. This will be a parking area built into the rock, before they had no where for visitors to park
6. Top soil removed
7. Path I built where we could dump roots and stumps, I would guess there are between 20 and 30 Tendum loads here, the CUTS had no issue getting up over what is hard to bee but a 6í up the hill piece of bedrock, the 2520 tractor out performed the 3320 in traction hands down
8. More roots and garbage we placed, this will all be levelled when we are finished
9. Same as 9 just more of it as it would not all fit in one image
10. The 3320 and the 17D
11. The 2520 tractor and looking down the driveway
12. A view from the road and areas where we are mulching around trees that will be left

In short we pickid up another 9 jobs just from people walking by that are worth over 50 grand, I doubt we will get them all done this year as I only have two crews and we are already booked into mid November, even the John Deere dealer who has been by a few times is shocked what this size of equipment can do.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jobsite-001.jpg (94.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-002.jpg (74.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-003.jpg (104.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-004.jpg (106.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-005.jpg (123.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-006.jpg (101.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-007.jpg (118.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-008.jpg (106.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-009.jpg (115.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-010.jpg (103.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-011.jpg (103.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Jobsite-012.jpg (113.2 KB, 7 views)

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator

Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Steve has disabled reputation

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
This amazes me. I look at the initial photos and wonder how is it they build these houses without all this done before hand? Builders must do the absolute bare minimum when it comes to creating driveways, walkways and drainage. I could only imagine this must cost quite a bit to do after the house is built.

Quote:
In short we pickid up another 9 jobs just from people walking by that are worth over 50 grand, I doubt we will get them all done this year as I only have two crews and we are already booked into mid November, even the John Deere dealer who has been by a few times is shocked what this size of equipment can do.
Did all of them come up to you and talk to you or did they see your signage and then call you from that?

Have you put out a lawn sign as you are working there?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This amazes me. I look at the initial photos and wonder how is it they build these houses without all this done before hand? Builders must do the absolute bare minimum when it comes to creating driveways, walkways and drainage. I could only imagine this must cost quite a bit to do after the house is built.

Did all of them come up to you and talk to you or did they see your signage and then call you from that?

Have you put out a lawn sign as you are working there?
Well the answer is simple.

Most builders and developers in my 30 years of experience are in it for the bucks, get it up, make it look pretty, sell and let the buyer worry about the problems, things in Canada are not like the states when it comes to suing and if you think there are a lot of trunk slammers in the lawn mowing business, they are a fraction of what is in the construction business.

The landscaping companies, and I know many and I also am friends with the biggest developer in Halifax, our kids grew up together and they do things right.

Their number one issue starts with the excavation, he will tell you straight up very few excavation companies can read grades and even less do the job right, this is why we are making a killing, down side is it's at the home owners expense.

This homeowner saw a driveway we built two streets over and saw the gear at the site, he stopped and asked if I would look at their place which I did, gave him a very rough estimate as this is by the hour, he hired us on the spot, $15,000 deposit and billed every three days, pro rata.

The other people are just people driving by, they want to talk but I explain it's on my clients dime and I would love to talk to them, take a card, call me after 6 and I will drop by, I picked up every job I looked at, I have three more from today, all the same type of work required according to the people.

I haven't bothered with lawn signs yet Steve, I don't want to sound pompus, we don't need the business, we already have 7 signed contracts that will start, weather depending in April, they are over $140,000 in total, nice way to start the year as we start around the middle to last of April with excavation, spraying and lawns first week of May, Tree crews will start around the third week of April, Pressure washing crews in June, clean up crews in May.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Andy

I sould have added about my developer friend, we do some repairs however we do little work for him as he only does development and new home construction, I haven't started that yet as I will need bigger equipment and I know what happend when you grow too fast and we are probably red lining growth this year, I don't want it to blow up.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
$15,000 deposit and billed every three days, pro rata.
I guess this means they are billed every three days and do they pay by check? How long do they have to pay when you bill them? Do you give them an invoice ever three days? What does pro rata mean here?

I guess when you have neighborhoods where homes are built with little regard to drainage and slope of the property, excavation is a very needed service!

I could see how this would be an extra expense that builders would not want to incur. It's quite fascinating!

With this picture. Can you do anything with those rocks which seem huge? Or do you just have to work around them?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Andy

Quote:
I guess this means they are billed every three days and do they pay by check? How long do they have to pay when you bill them? Do you give them an invoice ever three days? What does pro rata mean here?

I guess when you have neighborhoods where homes are built with little regard to drainage and slope of the property, excavation is a very needed service!

I could see how this would be an extra expense that builders would not want to incur. It's quite fascinating!

With this picture. Can you do anything with those rocks which seem huge? Or do you just have to work around them?
Pro Rata means if you give me for example a $15,000 deposit and just to make things simple in 3 days I give you a bill for $5,000 and the job is 10% done then you owe me $5,000 less $1,500 from the deposit so i require a cheque for $3,500.00, we agree to all this up front, as I have said many times I have no receivables, never have, never will, invoice is presented via email from my software and I will wait for the cheque or credit card in the morning or they know where to leave the cheque never had an issue yet.

That is bedrock buddy, you won't be doing anything and is everywhere in Nova Scotia, Google Peggy's Cove, I live 10 min from there, that is very typical although inland where we work, say 30 min from there has soil covering what you will see, some a lot, some very little.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Pro Rata means if you give me for example a $15,000 deposit and just to make things simple in 3 days I give you a bill for $5,000 and the job is 10% done then you owe me $5,000 less $1,500 from the deposit so i require a cheque for $3,500.00, we agree to all this up front, as I have said many times I have no receivables, never have, never will, invoice is presented via email from my software and I will wait for the cheque or credit card in the morning or they know where to leave the cheque never had an issue yet.
That is fascinating and is something we can all learn from. Is there any rhyme or reason to why three days?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Andy

Quote:
That is fascinating and is something we can all learn from. Is there any rhyme or reason to why three days?
This is what I consider a major job, any job over five grand needs a deposit, I learned a long time ago that things can happen on the payment side and my costs run high when I have that much gear and that many people on a job site.

Billed labor and machines for this job is close to five grand every three days, that is 6 guys and three machines.

In short I have to protect myself and this is a perfect way to do it, I am very up front with the client at the start and not one has ever said anything, if they did I would walk as that is the red flag and I am in a position with so many big jobs available and signed, I would just go to the next one.

When one is hungry for money, and I have been there a few times in the past with other companies I started, we tend to take higher risks and generally we still get paid but there have been a few times when I haven't, if I am already hungry and I do work and you don't pay, I am starving and if you don't be careful you will be out of business.

All of this experience and way of doing things, marketing, sales, skills, business operation, way I am doing things is simply everything I have learned in the last 30 years from companies I started myself, working for the bank or running companies for other people.

I like and prefer starting at the bottom and working to the top, I started in the bank in the mail room and ended up as a Regional Vice President, took me 9 years to get there and I left after 14 as I refused to move from where I am now, in the gold exploration company I started by working in Africa as a general laborer, I had to learn what it was we were doing, within 3 months a was VP Finance, I had the skills at the start but I didn't have the knowledge so I asked to be placed in the field until I thought and they thought I was ready, in the security company we were 8 people, I started as General Manager but worked in dispatch and systems for 6 months, then went to CEO and we fired the current guy, in 8 years we grew to 451 staff and four locations. In between this I had a construction company that built homes and it did OK but I had carpel tunnel in my wrists, couldn't handle the type of work without major meds so I sold it, I was a commercial pilot for six months and hated it, I love travel but I like being home, I am a stay put guy, I hated living out of a suit case with the major companies but I knew it was a price I had to pay and I did, I don't regret anything I have done so far that comes to mind.

On the bigger side that is where I made the serious money to allow me to do what I did with lawn care.

While doing this I started Oakridge Picture Framing and crafts (in 1988), it was and still is very successful and I still run it and it will never be sold. I wanted to test many markets, many products to set it up as a retirement business, wanted to test internet sales and tweak it to what I wanted, it took 12 years as I didn't have a lot of time but I now have it nailed.

I have started and sold little companies, I was a single income family with two kids and a lot of debt from education, I had financial goals for them, education is expensive here $60,000 plus so I had to save for that, I wanted a home on a lake and managed to get the six acres I have now, my wife at the time designed the home and I built it including all the furniture, but it was expensive. My son wanted and now is a professional athlete, that cost serious bucks and time, my daughter has a gift for languages and she wanted to go to private school in countries where the language was spoken, she is now 16 and in Costa Rica that cost a lot. What I am getting at is I hope people are not reading this and thinking this guy must be a multi million dollar guy as I am not, I am very comfortable and very happy, I sleep very well at night as I am living a dream I had at the age of 12, it became my long term goal.

While working for big companies:

I started a small tax return company built and sold, it is still doing well.

I started a company that wrote business plans for professionals that had graduated and wanted to open their own practise, it handled everything from the business plan to arranging financing, it did very well and I sold it.

I started a fly tying company, we tied special flies for fishing sports, don't laugh there was big bucks in this, I sold it at a perfect time as fishing has really died off in Canada as the fish are simply not there.

Went through a divorce that really cost me and blind sided me as I didn't see it coming.

So that my friend is my business life in short, I recently sold my snow plowing, I kept a few special clients (8) under the agreement and I get a referral fee for new clients. Although I am only 47, I don't want to plow snow anymore, I want to work in my woodworking in the winter and spend time in South America.

I still help WOOD Magazing (woorked as a freelancer for them for 9 years), they are the largest magazine in the world, I believe 1.6 million subscribers, I used to write their tech articles on working with exotic woods, I simply don't have the time but if I ever do, they would hire me bace as what they call a freelance writer in a heartbeat.

Andy

Last edited by picframer; 10-05-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator

What great insight!

When a landscape contractor is wanting to get a down payment on a job, do you suggest a certain % range of the job's total cost? Or how should a contractor come up with a suitable down payment amount?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Andy

Quote:
What great insight!

When a landscape contractor is wanting to get a down payment on a job, do you suggest a certain % range of the job's total cost? Or how should a contractor come up with a suitable down payment amount?
Depends on the house, my conversation and my feelings, generally 25%