Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job
If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.

Help with first commercial bid!


Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Nature's View Landscaping Nature's View Landscaping is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 4
Nature's View Landscaping is on a distinguished road
Default Help with first commercial bid!

Hi all!! I am the new guy on this site, and found this site to help with a bid that i have to do.

Heres my situation. I was called by a contracting company that wins the goverment bids for like reserves. It is a company called Capital Contractors, has anyone heard of them?

I looked the company up on the website and they seem legit but you never know.

I went and looke at the property it is a army reserve building, the total property is 172k sq feet. and trimming amount is well over 2k feet!

On this property i would be using my 48 in mower, 36 in mower and 21 in mower and would be buying a 60 inch zero turn, right now it is just me but i have a friend that is in the business that would help me out in doing the job. I figure that with the two of us it would probably take about 8-10 hours because of the mowing, and trimming amount, not to mention blowing off the walks and parkinglot.

So i usually shoot for about 50-70 a hr. so this would be 8 to 10 man hours wich would be 800 to 1400 a cut. The cut would be weekly, and they want a little bit of mulch but not sure with that yet, and they are changing around the amount of grass because the building just got a face lift. and im supposed to compromise for this.

I am looking for some feed back on these prices per hour? if it sounds right or not? also to see if anyone has worked for those companies. I would say that of mowing it would propably be about 3 acres, but its a lot of trimming and blowing off of the walks thats where most of the time comes in i believe. but i am not sure where it is my first one ive been bidding on.

Thanks all for your answers in advance,

Ben

Owner of Nature's View Landscaping
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
I haven't heard of that company. Since you are going to be working on government property, do they require to be bonded or no?

Quote:
so this would be 8 to 10 man hours wich would be 800 to 1400 a cut.
That would be between $100 to $140 per hour for the job?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Nature's View Landscaping Nature's View Landscaping is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 4
Nature's View Landscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I haven't heard of that company. Since you are going to be working on government property, do they require to be bonded or no?



That would be between $100 to $140 per hour for the job?
Ok should i be consurned that you havent heard of the company and i havent either? The company just asked if i was insured wich i am so im assuming no bonding.

i missed typed it would be about 40 to 70 dollars a man hour for about 8 to 10 hours(closer to the 10 hours my gut is telling me) so about 800 to 1400.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Ok should i be consurned that you havent heard of the company and i havent either? The company just asked if i was insured wich i am so im assuming no bonding.
No, because there are many companies out there like them. Keep us posted though on your review of them.

Quote:
i missed typed it would be about 40 to 70 dollars a man hour for about 8 to 10 hours(closer to the 10 hours my gut is telling me) so about 800 to 1400.
If you can get that range from them, I'd say go for it. We are seeing plenty of discussions on the forum of working with other companies as subcontractors where the lawn care business owner may get $25 for an hour of tough mowing.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No, because there are many companies out there like them. Keep us posted though on your review of them.



If you can get that range from them, I'd say go for it. We are seeing plenty of discussions on the forum of working with other companies as subcontractors where the lawn care business owner may get $25 for an hour of tough mowing.
I would say your bid is a tad bit high. The rate is fare, I just think your time is off. I havent seen the property though. So if you think it will take that long it might. I would just Remember others will be bidding too. If it does take 10 then $800 is not to bad. I would invest in a walk behind trimmer if your worried about the time it takes to trim. For comparison I cut a 20 acre campground that had a 100 lots. Each one had 50 ft of trimming. It took 3 guys 10 hours.

I have a commercial account that is 3 acres and we can do it in 3 hours with 2 people without the ZTR. The first time it did take longer but we work on efficiency and have done it in as little as 2 hours. I bidded this property for 5 hours. It never took that.

Last edited by SECTLANDSCAPING; 09-18-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Nature's View Landscaping Nature's View Landscaping is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 4
Nature's View Landscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No, because there are many companies out there like them. Keep us posted though on your review of them.



If you can get that range from them, I'd say go for it. We are seeing plenty of discussions on the forum of working with other companies as subcontractors where the lawn care business owner may get $25 for an hour of tough mowing.
Wow so the quote process is completely different than a residential account where they wil pay more if the quality is there. I submitted the bid last week and should know this week towards the end of it if i got the job or not. I think what will hurt my bid is that i am not doing snow removal or sanding because i am not equiped for that right now. But i will defenatly keep you posted
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Nature's View Landscaping Nature's View Landscaping is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 4
Nature's View Landscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I would say your bid is a tad bit high. The rate is fare, I just think your time is off. I havent seen the property though. So if you think it will take that long it might. I would just Remember others will be bidding too. If it does take 10 then $800 is not to bad. I would invest in a walk behind trimmer if your worried about the time it takes to trim. For comparison I cut a 20 acre campground that had a 100 lots. Each one had 50 ft of trimming. It took 3 guys 10 hours.

I have a commercial account that is 3 acres and we can do it in 3 hours with 2 people without the ZTR. The first time it did take longer but we work on efficiency and have done it in as little as 2 hours. I bidded this property for 5 hours. It never took that.
Ok thanks for your input. Nice to see your a pretty local guy also im out of RI. The property would probably take one day to do. Im judging by what size property is across the street from my house and the lco is there all day. and this property is bigger than that one. This property is almost 4 acres, but its under construction so i had to bid as if grass was in some areas. thats what i told the contractor to if its beds with mulch, that need to be weeded it will be a different price. but they would not give me the plans so i had to assume its grass. Also this is my first big commercial job so im trying to cover myself if it does take longer than anticipated. not to mention theres like 65 planters to trim around that are about 15 ft around. its insane!! hahaha

But i do apreciate your imput because any tips i could learn now would help me in the future with bidding out jobs if i do not get this one. For a first time did i do a decent bid? for the rate? Feedback please.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Snyder's Lawn Serv.Inc Snyder's Lawn Serv.Inc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 4
Snyder's Lawn Serv.Inc is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's View Landscaping View Post
Hi all!! I am the new guy on this site, and found this site to help with a bid that i have to do.

Heres my situation. I was called by a contracting company that wins the goverment bids for like reserves. It is a company called Capital Contractors, has anyone heard of them?

I looked the company up on the website and they seem legit but you never know.

I went and looke at the property it is a army reserve building, the total property is 172k sq feet. and trimming amount is well over 2k feet!

On this property i would be using my 48 in mower, 36 in mower and 21 in mower and would be buying a 60 inch zero turn, right now it is just me but i have a friend that is in the business that would help me out in doing the job. I figure that with the two of us it would probably take about 8-10 hours because of the mowing, and trimming amount, not to mention blowing off the walks and parkinglot.

So i usually shoot for about 50-70 a hr. so this would be 8 to 10 man hours wich would be 800 to 1400 a cut. The cut would be weekly, and they want a little bit of mulch but not sure with that yet, and they are changing around the amount of grass because the building just got a face lift. and im supposed to compromise for this.

I am looking for some feed back on these prices per hour? if it sounds right or not? also to see if anyone has worked for those companies. I would say that of mowing it would propably be about 3 acres, but its a lot of trimming and blowing off of the walks thats where most of the time comes in i believe. but i am not sure where it is my first one ive been bidding on.

Thanks all for your answers in advance,

Ben

Owner of Nature's View Landscaping
That seem little high but in your area might be the price
3 acres to mow myself less then a hour open and tight areas might take 1.5 hr no more then 2 hrs at top
With out seeing the job be to hard tell you what to charge+ your overhead
If you are comfortable with ur price then turn it in
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st bid and its commercial edsaws Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 21 06-13-2011 12:45 AM
Commercial Bid Yard Elements Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 3 01-19-2011 09:32 PM
New commercial bid jab1472 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 4 01-30-2008 10:08 AM
first commercial bid. Ozzy Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 24 10-26-2007 08:27 PM
Commercial INS pnplawn General Talk 7 10-12-2007 12:55 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
Yesterday 09:45 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
189 16,564
Georgia Boys!
Chilehead
12-18-2014 10:23 PM
Yesterday 09:36 PM
by Chilehead
2 62
I'm BACK!
SuperiorPower
12-16-2014 11:08 PM
Yesterday 08:21 PM
by jrs.landscaping
5 173
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 08:15 PM
Yesterday 07:48 PM
by SuperiorPower
9 280
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
Yesterday 06:00 PM
by homey
5 146
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
12-17-2014 05:07 PM
Yesterday 05:44 PM
by stevef1201
7 183
Has Obamacare helped or...
Steve
12-18-2014 04:37 PM
Yesterday 05:43 PM
by stevef1201
3 84
what do you "love" to...
calebmoss
07-06-2011 10:05 PM
12-17-2014 05:09 PM
by Chilehead
28 8,918
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 02:56 PM
12-17-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
23 2,951
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 09:51 AM
12-17-2014 09:40 AM
by SuperiorPower
34 6,096
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
12-17-2014 09:13 AM
by SuperiorPower
15 1,290
New to Gopher Haul-from...
323k13l
12-12-2014 10:34 PM
12-15-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
3 272
hi
creteland
12-12-2014 09:06 AM
12-15-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
5 274
New addition to my small...
googus
12-12-2014 07:36 PM
12-15-2014 07:47 AM
by googus
4 337
Ferris IS700Z
rmccutchan
12-14-2014 01:10 AM
12-14-2014 11:41 PM
by rmccutchan
4 244
Charge what the market...
Billy Goat
12-09-2014 12:39 PM
12-14-2014 06:39 PM
by biglee
20 785
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
12-12-2014 07:18 AM
by steveinil
4 789
Utility Company Right of...
eastsidelandcare
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
by eastsidelandcare
0 265
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
12-11-2014 04:50 PM
by eastsidelandcare
33 4,050
suggestions on full lawn...
Brian3137
12-10-2014 07:18 PM
12-11-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
6 374
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 11:20 PM
12-11-2014 09:43 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
18 3,349
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
12-10-2014 02:45 PM
by WesleySnips
7 608
Echo pb200 blower fuel...
googus
12-06-2014 09:03 PM
12-09-2014 06:35 PM
by Steve
3 455
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
12-09-2014 06:24 PM
by Steve
36 9,780
Are you prepared for the...
Steve
12-02-2014 04:13 PM
12-09-2014 06:22 PM
by Steve
7 878
Email Address Name
Just Cuts
12-07-2014 09:49 PM
12-08-2014 03:15 PM
by Steve
3 407
Inspection form
stevef1201
12-07-2014 10:38 AM
12-08-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 405
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
12-08-2014 12:37 PM
by jrs.landscaping
108 34,149
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
12-07-2014 06:35 PM
by stevef1201
24 1,685
Innovation by mandate
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 01:33 PM
12-06-2014 03:27 PM
by SGL1
12 947
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 10:07 PM
12-05-2014 11:06 AM
by Steve
9 2,242
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
12-04-2014 01:32 PM
by stevef1201
15 1,424
How many hours is too...
Just Cuts
12-04-2014 09:00 AM
12-04-2014 01:02 PM
by Just for Cuts
6 586
Does this sound like a...
googus
12-03-2014 07:47 AM
12-04-2014 12:37 PM
by Steve
5 660
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
12-04-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
14 1,208
New website
SGL1
12-02-2014 10:55 PM
12-03-2014 11:17 PM
by BLC7
19 831
Websites, how long...
Dan Tanner
03-09-2014 08:29 AM
12-03-2014 11:12 PM
by SGL1
21 3,219
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 11:04 PM
12-03-2014 10:36 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 1,849
GPS trackers for...
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:09 PM
12-03-2014 07:17 PM
by Steve
8 683
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
12-03-2014 06:31 PM
by SGL1
17 1,426
Hiring Subs over Temps
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:26 AM
12-03-2014 01:24 PM
by Steve
3 620
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
12-02-2014 11:11 PM
by SGL1
11 9,506
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
12-02-2014 02:17 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 1,465
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
12-02-2014 08:47 AM
by SGL1
6 1,483
old contracts
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 11:10 AM
12-01-2014 11:20 AM
by Steve
3 694
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
12-01-2014 10:54 AM
by Steve
9 1,254
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
12-01-2014 10:45 AM
by Steve
32 15,155
Intuit Quickbooks...
CDLAWNCARE
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
0 599
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
11-28-2014 01:36 PM
by Just Cuts
1,196 355,564
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
09-30-2014 06:42 PM
11-28-2014 10:49 AM
by Steve
13 2,298
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 aerocore apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades care charge christmas collections edging employee problems equipment rental estimate foreman four wheel drive gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills holiday husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing mr dave mulch mulch estimate new buisness new mower ordinance past due per hour service podcast pto push versus ride running a business savannah scripts search engine optimization seo shreaded small engine repair snow sprayer starting a business toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack truck new used landscape turfgrass consulting up sell employee won't return wood
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy