Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Now What?


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default Now What?

Ok, I'm just starting my lawn service and have made it to the point where I am sort of taking a deep breath and asking 'now what?'.

I wanted to make sure I had all my t's crossed and i's dotted before I went to talk to people about becoming potential clients. I have my occupational license, insurance in place, all the appropriate forms and documents filed with the IRS, and an LLC established. My only snag now is ... I don't have much grass to mow!

I have a couple so called "accounts" with friends and family that cover expenses, but I don't want to just cover expenses. Can anyone help me with the next step?

I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice. I have business cards on the way and plan to really start networking and putting my business out there once my advertising supplies come in. I may have jumped into this at the wrong time of year, but it is what it is, and now that I have the formalities and legal issues (that I am aware of) covered, I'm ready to get to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Justin
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 5
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by T & K Property Management View Post
Ok, I'm just starting my lawn service and have made it to the point where I am sort of taking a deep breath and asking 'now what?'.

I wanted to make sure I had all my t's crossed and i's dotted before I went to talk to people about becoming potential clients. I have my occupational license, insurance in place, all the appropriate forms and documents filed with the IRS, and an LLC established. My only snag now is ... I don't have much grass to mow!

I have a couple so called "accounts" with friends and family that cover expenses, but I don't want to just cover expenses. Can anyone help me with the next step?

I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice. I have business cards on the way and plan to really start networking and putting my business out there once my advertising supplies come in. I may have jumped into this at the wrong time of year, but it is what it is, and now that I have the formalities and legal issues (that I am aware of) covered, I'm ready to get to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Justin
Flyers , Posters and business cards I went door to door with flyers 1000 at a shot made them on my computer I put posters up in local stores restaurants etc. I also went to Staples and bought a few cheap plastic business card holders and I have them at stores restaurants and barber shops.
I went from 4 to 8 to 11 full time 5 part time customers in three months.
I also hooked up with a couple of Real Estate Agents and they are sending me plenty on one off jobs (which pay the big $$$$).
All I can say is dig dig dig it will come if you really want to work at it.
__________________
Ducke's lawn Care and Introducing Duck's Seasonal Decor.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the reply Ducke. I think placing a business card holder at some local establishments will draw a lot of interest, but as you were saying, a variety of marketing strategies is a great idea.

I don't have a huge budget right now and I'm attempting to focus my resources on what people feel works best until I can generate some revenue. What technique do you think attracts the most customer attention?

Thanks

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 5
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T & K Property Management View Post
Thanks for the reply Ducke. I think placing a business card holder at some local establishments will draw a lot of interest, but as you were saying, a variety of marketing strategies is a great idea.

I don't have a huge budget right now and I'm attempting to focus my resources on what people feel works best until I can generate some revenue. What technique do you think attracts the most customer attention?

Thanks

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
One other thing I did was put a free ad on Kijiji ( its like Craig list)
I also paid $12.99 to have my ad at the top of the list for 7 days I have generated 5 of my accounts from this ad.

so I would have to say the door too door flyers and the kijiji ad were the best marketing that I have done.
__________________
Ducke's lawn Care and Introducing Duck's Seasonal Decor.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

I started this season and I have had a lot of success using Craigslist.
One thing that sets me apart for 99% of the other ads is that I use an image rather than just a line ad with text only. I'm also fortunate in that I'm a graphic designer and was able to create my own ad to place on Craigslist - an ad that I've gotten many positive comments on from people who are now my regular clients.

I also picked up a few clients by hanging an ad at a local grocery store, and I've had some inquiries through my website. (which isn't complete, but I have my contact info and basic info available)

Strive to present yourself as a professional. In your advertising, your appearance, your attitude, in everything you do... people notice - and they talk.
I just picked up two more clients because the outfit that was servicing them was overcharging them as well as conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner while on the job. (foul language and overall bad attitude) "I watch how hard you work over there - you do good work" was what I was told by one of my new clients. People notice.

ALWAYS have business cards on you. Give them to anyone and everyone you speak to. TALK to people. At a minimum, say "hello" to every person you see while you are out working. There are people who WANT to ask you questions, but may not want to disturb you while you are working - give them the opportunity by chatting with them. You WILL pick up work this way.

Going door to door may or may not be effective. It worked OK for me, but I was just starting out and had nothing better to do. I don't have time for that kind of thing these days. Also, you may need a permit to solicit door to door - every municipality has their own rules.

Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 AM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
I started this season and I have had a lot of success using Craigslist.
One thing that sets me apart for 99% of the other ads is that I use an image rather than just a line ad with text only. I'm also fortunate in that I'm a graphic designer and was able to create my own ad to place on Craigslist - an ad that I've gotten many positive comments on from people who are now my regular clients.

I also picked up a few clients by hanging an ad at a local grocery store, and I've had some inquiries through my website. (which isn't complete, but I have my contact info and basic info available)

Strive to present yourself as a professional. In your advertising, your appearance, your attitude, in everything you do... people notice - and they talk.
I just picked up two more clients because the outfit that was servicing them was overcharging them as well as conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner while on the job. (foul language and overall bad attitude) "I watch how hard you work over there - you do good work" was what I was told by one of my new clients. People notice.

ALWAYS have business cards on you. Give them to anyone and everyone you speak to. TALK to people. At a minimum, say "hello" to every person you see while you are out working. There are people who WANT to ask you questions, but may not want to disturb you while you are working - give them the opportunity by chatting with them. You WILL pick up work this way.

Going door to door may or may not be effective. It worked OK for me, but I was just starting out and had nothing better to do. I don't have time for that kind of thing these days. Also, you may need a permit to solicit door to door - every municipality has their own rules.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for the advice and the well wishes Hedgemaster. One of the things I've been reading on different posts is the importance of finding something to set yourself apart from the masses so to speak. I like the idea of utilizing social media and craigslist, and adding an image certainly catches the eye.

I wrote in my introduction post that it is my goal to develop a service that is knowledgeable, customer service driven, and professional so I couldn't agree with you more about being professional and courteous.

I live in a small town outside of Gainesville, FL where talking to and just simply speaking to folks in passing is a way of life. That is great advice about engaging people to allow them to open up and bring the conversation around to the business at hand.

As for hard work and a good attitude, that cannot be advertised on printed paper. I feel like customers are looking for people they can trust to give their business to. Kudos for your professionalism and ability to win customers with your work ethic (as well as your graphic design skills!).

Word of mouth is an extremely beneficial, or negative in some cases, tool for any business and I strive to have only good things said for my name and my company's name through utilization of hard work, positive attitude, and my faith in Jesus Christ.

Thanks again for the advice and best of luck to you as well!

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 905
Rep Power: 7
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

I have posted this before, here it is again...

There are a few ways to go about advertising your business. I have done:
  • Door Hangers
  • Post Cards
  • Display Advertising in my local pennysaver. They have a nice page inside they call Local Business Directory, it looks like a bulletin board.
  • Business Cards to every one I meet in Restaurants, Gas Stations, Bars and anywhere where there are people.

The best time to start is always. The peak time would be a month and a half before the grass begins to grow, then continue till the end of the season.

I drop off business cards to any place that has a bulletin board, like grocery stores, department stores Laundromats etc. You can get business card holders from Artie on this site. http://www.marketingholders.com/CARD...PING-CRDQS.htm

They hold probably 25 business Cards. Check out his other products on the site, he has a lot of stuff that could be useful.

Have magnets made with your company logo and phone number on them, one for both front doors and one for the back of your vehicle. People behind you can't see the sides of your truck when you drive around with no trailer. Good free advertising that way. This is a great site and the magnets are excellent quality: http://www.buildasign.com , I also order signs for the front lawn from them, also great quality for a fair price.

Utilize the free methods to advertise, google search free classified advertising
  • Craigslist
  • Backpage
  • topix.com
  • thumbtack.com
  • buysellcommunity.com
  • kijiji.com

Add your business to every business directory in your area
  • Yellowpages.com
  • Yellowbook.com
  • merchantcircle.com
  • manta.com
  • local.com
  • kudzu.com
  • thumbtack.com
  • yellowbot.com
  • citysearch.com
  • superpages.com
  • local.yahoo.com
  • superads.com
  • landscaping-companies.com
  • neighborhood.letsrenovate.com
  • start.cortera.com
  • allpages.com
  • local.garden.org
  • insiderpages.com
  • bizhwy.com
  • getfreelisting.com
  • mylocalservices.us
  • diyodp.com
  • evliving.com
  • freebusinessdirectory.com
  • volta.net
  • freeonlinebusinessdirectory.com

Submit your website and business to all the search engines, then submit to the maps of each of the major search engines

google maps
bing maps
yahoo maps

Maps info show up before search results so this is crucial.

See this thread for more:

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13299

Hope this helps you get started! Best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,623
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice.
Justin can you give us a little insight as to what kind of deadends you ran into and how they effected you?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Justin can you give us a little insight as to what kind of deadends you ran into and how they effected you?
I tried a few foreclosure asset management companies and, while I met all their qualifications for insurance, licensure, etc., I either had to have been established for atleast a year or they didn't have a need for anyone else to service my area.

I'm still waiting on my marketing supplies that I have on order to arrive, so I really haven't been able to go and sit down with any potential customers because I feel like I should atleast have my business cards in hand when I approach them. I have been spreading the word to people I know and having them tell others, but this should be more effective once my business cards and all come in.

Justin
T & K Property Management
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 AM
arthur712's Avatar
arthur712 arthur712 is offline
Artie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cocoa FL
Age: 42
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 6
arthur712 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymie View Post
I drop off business cards to any place that has a bulletin board, like grocery stores, department stores Laundromats etc. You can get business card holders from Artie on this site. http://www.marketingholders.com/CARD...PING-CRDQS.htm

They hold probably 25 business Cards. Check out his other products on the site, he has a lot of stuff that could be useful.


Yes I have some great stuff at www.marketingholders.com
10% Coupon Code is (sale2011)

Thanks!
Artie
__________________
Artie Crowley
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
Yesterday 09:25 PM
by Essex Groundskeeping
31 14,210
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 11:20 PM
Yesterday 09:09 PM
by Essex Groundskeeping
16 2,443
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
Yesterday 08:08 PM
by mattthelawnguy
29 2,744
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
Yesterday 03:25 PM
by stevef1201
4 8,665
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
Yesterday 03:19 PM
by stevef1201
11 428
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
Yesterday 01:36 PM
by Just Cuts
1,196 349,633
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
Yesterday 12:31 PM
by jrs.landscaping
6 516
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
09-30-2014 06:42 PM
Yesterday 10:49 AM
by Steve
13 1,489
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
Yesterday 10:45 AM
by Steve
7 479
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
Yesterday 10:23 AM
by Steve
179 14,435
Happy Thanksgiving!
Steve
11-27-2014 09:48 AM
11-27-2014 09:48 AM
by Steve
0 48
Contract or no contract?
TRV
11-20-2014 09:18 PM
11-26-2014 09:23 PM
by stevef1201
5 335
Pics for website
tbtigers03
11-21-2014 05:40 PM
11-26-2014 12:12 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 281
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
11-26-2014 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 108
WNY saying Hi.
Sargewesser
11-25-2014 07:27 AM
11-26-2014 11:20 AM
by Steve
1 115
How to: Use Thumbtack...
acrajchel
11-17-2014 06:39 PM
11-26-2014 11:19 AM
by Steve
18 713
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
11-26-2014 10:58 AM
by Steve
10 449
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 12:45 PM
11-26-2014 10:57 AM
by Steve
22 6,351
Billboards for marketing
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-16-2014 08:39 PM
11-26-2014 10:40 AM
by Steve
14 505
How much do you up sell...
Essex Groundskeeping
11-23-2014 07:13 PM
11-24-2014 06:29 PM
by stevef1201
8 278
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 05:56 PM
11-24-2014 05:49 PM
by biglee
16 3,318
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
11-24-2014 04:32 PM
by acrajchel
4 738
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
11-23-2014 07:40 PM
by Just for Cuts
12 402
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
11-22-2014 10:49 PM
by Just for Cuts
16 633
Belt dealer problem
googus
11-21-2014 08:45 AM
11-21-2014 06:36 PM
by Steve
2 229
What is going on with...
biglee
11-14-2014 03:04 PM
11-20-2014 02:50 PM
by biglee
40 1,086
My advice for new guys
avetslawncare
11-15-2014 09:32 AM
11-19-2014 01:47 PM
by biglee
10 650
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
10-23-2014 02:23 PM
11-19-2014 12:39 PM
by acrajchel
28 2,015
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 10:19 PM
11-18-2014 04:24 PM
by acrajchel
14 1,578
Leaf removal
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 05:14 PM
11-17-2014 07:34 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,304
sod job
SGlawncare
10-30-2014 09:21 PM
11-17-2014 07:10 PM
by acrajchel
7 889
Customer wants me to...
Mr. Mow
11-09-2014 07:13 AM
11-17-2014 06:48 PM
by acrajchel
10 666
Hello!
Brian3137
11-11-2014 07:15 PM
11-17-2014 06:46 PM
by acrajchel
14 597
small biz in Phoenix,AZ
anthonyramos1
11-08-2014 09:35 PM
11-17-2014 05:59 PM
by acrajchel
2 415
Client won't pay...
WesleySnips
10-30-2014 03:53 PM
11-17-2014 05:37 PM
by acrajchel
22 1,518
Government contracts
avetslawncare
11-15-2014 08:50 AM
11-17-2014 12:59 PM
by Steve
2 378
Need help on deciding a...
Brian3137
11-10-2014 06:32 PM
11-17-2014 12:44 PM
by Steve
12 641
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 10:51 PM
11-16-2014 07:54 AM
by stevef1201
8 1,721
So how do you guys...
Mr. Mow
10-26-2014 08:55 AM
11-15-2014 08:44 AM
by avetslawncare
14 1,850
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
11-13-2014 08:35 AM
by jrs.landscaping
81 32,083
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 03:45 PM
11-12-2014 05:05 PM
by stevef1201
14 1,812
A little hang up in snow...
stevef1201
11-08-2014 07:05 AM
11-12-2014 12:51 PM
by Steve
4 556
Bi-weekly winter...
lxarth
11-04-2014 08:37 PM
11-12-2014 10:06 AM
by WesleySnips
9 762
taking first steps...
sizemorelawncare
11-10-2014 08:24 PM
11-11-2014 01:21 PM
by Steve
1 439
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
11-11-2014 08:12 AM
by Just for Cuts
4 506
Business Cards
crieg122
10-25-2014 01:03 PM
11-11-2014 07:56 AM
by Just for Cuts
12 1,477
How the unregister?
alive101
11-04-2014 07:39 AM
11-10-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
4 714
Belt adjustment question
googus
11-05-2014 06:43 AM
11-10-2014 01:38 PM
by Steve
5 621
Podcast
Shark1611
11-07-2014 05:42 PM
11-10-2014 11:41 AM
by Steve
1 416
hi, from Minnesota
rjklohn
11-07-2014 02:21 AM
11-07-2014 01:44 PM
by Steve
1 432
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 apartment complex bark bob villa care charge christmas collections edging employee problems equipment rental exmark ferris four wheel drive gopherhaul grass gravely hardscapes hills holiday how much to charge how to bid husqvarna hydraulic jobs kawasaki labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business mowing mr dave mulch mulch estimate new buisness past due per hour service podcast push versus ride redmax savannah scag v-ride scripts search engine optimization seo shell small engine repair sprayer starting a business starting a lawn care business sulky theft toro tractor auger trailer trimmer rack up sell employee walker wood wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy