Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Now What?


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default Now What?

Ok, I'm just starting my lawn service and have made it to the point where I am sort of taking a deep breath and asking 'now what?'.

I wanted to make sure I had all my t's crossed and i's dotted before I went to talk to people about becoming potential clients. I have my occupational license, insurance in place, all the appropriate forms and documents filed with the IRS, and an LLC established. My only snag now is ... I don't have much grass to mow!

I have a couple so called "accounts" with friends and family that cover expenses, but I don't want to just cover expenses. Can anyone help me with the next step?

I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice. I have business cards on the way and plan to really start networking and putting my business out there once my advertising supplies come in. I may have jumped into this at the wrong time of year, but it is what it is, and now that I have the formalities and legal issues (that I am aware of) covered, I'm ready to get to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Justin
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 4
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by T & K Property Management View Post
Ok, I'm just starting my lawn service and have made it to the point where I am sort of taking a deep breath and asking 'now what?'.

I wanted to make sure I had all my t's crossed and i's dotted before I went to talk to people about becoming potential clients. I have my occupational license, insurance in place, all the appropriate forms and documents filed with the IRS, and an LLC established. My only snag now is ... I don't have much grass to mow!

I have a couple so called "accounts" with friends and family that cover expenses, but I don't want to just cover expenses. Can anyone help me with the next step?

I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice. I have business cards on the way and plan to really start networking and putting my business out there once my advertising supplies come in. I may have jumped into this at the wrong time of year, but it is what it is, and now that I have the formalities and legal issues (that I am aware of) covered, I'm ready to get to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Justin
Flyers , Posters and business cards I went door to door with flyers 1000 at a shot made them on my computer I put posters up in local stores restaurants etc. I also went to Staples and bought a few cheap plastic business card holders and I have them at stores restaurants and barber shops.
I went from 4 to 8 to 11 full time 5 part time customers in three months.
I also hooked up with a couple of Real Estate Agents and they are sending me plenty on one off jobs (which pay the big $$$$).
All I can say is dig dig dig it will come if you really want to work at it.
__________________
Ducke's lawn Care and Introducing Duck's Seasonal Decor.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the reply Ducke. I think placing a business card holder at some local establishments will draw a lot of interest, but as you were saying, a variety of marketing strategies is a great idea.

I don't have a huge budget right now and I'm attempting to focus my resources on what people feel works best until I can generate some revenue. What technique do you think attracts the most customer attention?

Thanks

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 4
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T & K Property Management View Post
Thanks for the reply Ducke. I think placing a business card holder at some local establishments will draw a lot of interest, but as you were saying, a variety of marketing strategies is a great idea.

I don't have a huge budget right now and I'm attempting to focus my resources on what people feel works best until I can generate some revenue. What technique do you think attracts the most customer attention?

Thanks

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
One other thing I did was put a free ad on Kijiji ( its like Craig list)
I also paid $12.99 to have my ad at the top of the list for 7 days I have generated 5 of my accounts from this ad.

so I would have to say the door too door flyers and the kijiji ad were the best marketing that I have done.
__________________
Ducke's lawn Care and Introducing Duck's Seasonal Decor.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

I started this season and I have had a lot of success using Craigslist.
One thing that sets me apart for 99% of the other ads is that I use an image rather than just a line ad with text only. I'm also fortunate in that I'm a graphic designer and was able to create my own ad to place on Craigslist - an ad that I've gotten many positive comments on from people who are now my regular clients.

I also picked up a few clients by hanging an ad at a local grocery store, and I've had some inquiries through my website. (which isn't complete, but I have my contact info and basic info available)

Strive to present yourself as a professional. In your advertising, your appearance, your attitude, in everything you do... people notice - and they talk.
I just picked up two more clients because the outfit that was servicing them was overcharging them as well as conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner while on the job. (foul language and overall bad attitude) "I watch how hard you work over there - you do good work" was what I was told by one of my new clients. People notice.

ALWAYS have business cards on you. Give them to anyone and everyone you speak to. TALK to people. At a minimum, say "hello" to every person you see while you are out working. There are people who WANT to ask you questions, but may not want to disturb you while you are working - give them the opportunity by chatting with them. You WILL pick up work this way.

Going door to door may or may not be effective. It worked OK for me, but I was just starting out and had nothing better to do. I don't have time for that kind of thing these days. Also, you may need a permit to solicit door to door - every municipality has their own rules.

Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 AM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
I started this season and I have had a lot of success using Craigslist.
One thing that sets me apart for 99% of the other ads is that I use an image rather than just a line ad with text only. I'm also fortunate in that I'm a graphic designer and was able to create my own ad to place on Craigslist - an ad that I've gotten many positive comments on from people who are now my regular clients.

I also picked up a few clients by hanging an ad at a local grocery store, and I've had some inquiries through my website. (which isn't complete, but I have my contact info and basic info available)

Strive to present yourself as a professional. In your advertising, your appearance, your attitude, in everything you do... people notice - and they talk.
I just picked up two more clients because the outfit that was servicing them was overcharging them as well as conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner while on the job. (foul language and overall bad attitude) "I watch how hard you work over there - you do good work" was what I was told by one of my new clients. People notice.

ALWAYS have business cards on you. Give them to anyone and everyone you speak to. TALK to people. At a minimum, say "hello" to every person you see while you are out working. There are people who WANT to ask you questions, but may not want to disturb you while you are working - give them the opportunity by chatting with them. You WILL pick up work this way.

Going door to door may or may not be effective. It worked OK for me, but I was just starting out and had nothing better to do. I don't have time for that kind of thing these days. Also, you may need a permit to solicit door to door - every municipality has their own rules.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for the advice and the well wishes Hedgemaster. One of the things I've been reading on different posts is the importance of finding something to set yourself apart from the masses so to speak. I like the idea of utilizing social media and craigslist, and adding an image certainly catches the eye.

I wrote in my introduction post that it is my goal to develop a service that is knowledgeable, customer service driven, and professional so I couldn't agree with you more about being professional and courteous.

I live in a small town outside of Gainesville, FL where talking to and just simply speaking to folks in passing is a way of life. That is great advice about engaging people to allow them to open up and bring the conversation around to the business at hand.

As for hard work and a good attitude, that cannot be advertised on printed paper. I feel like customers are looking for people they can trust to give their business to. Kudos for your professionalism and ability to win customers with your work ethic (as well as your graphic design skills!).

Word of mouth is an extremely beneficial, or negative in some cases, tool for any business and I strive to have only good things said for my name and my company's name through utilization of hard work, positive attitude, and my faith in Jesus Christ.

Thanks again for the advice and best of luck to you as well!

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2011, 05:57 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 898
Rep Power: 6
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

I have posted this before, here it is again...

There are a few ways to go about advertising your business. I have done:
  • Door Hangers
  • Post Cards
  • Display Advertising in my local pennysaver. They have a nice page inside they call Local Business Directory, it looks like a bulletin board.
  • Business Cards to every one I meet in Restaurants, Gas Stations, Bars and anywhere where there are people.

The best time to start is always. The peak time would be a month and a half before the grass begins to grow, then continue till the end of the season.

I drop off business cards to any place that has a bulletin board, like grocery stores, department stores Laundromats etc. You can get business card holders from Artie on this site. http://www.marketingholders.com/CARD...PING-CRDQS.htm

They hold probably 25 business Cards. Check out his other products on the site, he has a lot of stuff that could be useful.

Have magnets made with your company logo and phone number on them, one for both front doors and one for the back of your vehicle. People behind you can't see the sides of your truck when you drive around with no trailer. Good free advertising that way. This is a great site and the magnets are excellent quality: http://www.buildasign.com , I also order signs for the front lawn from them, also great quality for a fair price.

Utilize the free methods to advertise, google search free classified advertising
  • Craigslist
  • Backpage
  • topix.com
  • thumbtack.com
  • buysellcommunity.com
  • kijiji.com

Add your business to every business directory in your area
  • Yellowpages.com
  • Yellowbook.com
  • merchantcircle.com
  • manta.com
  • local.com
  • kudzu.com
  • thumbtack.com
  • yellowbot.com
  • citysearch.com
  • superpages.com
  • local.yahoo.com
  • superads.com
  • landscaping-companies.com
  • neighborhood.letsrenovate.com
  • start.cortera.com
  • allpages.com
  • local.garden.org
  • insiderpages.com
  • bizhwy.com
  • getfreelisting.com
  • mylocalservices.us
  • diyodp.com
  • evliving.com
  • freebusinessdirectory.com
  • volta.net
  • freeonlinebusinessdirectory.com

Submit your website and business to all the search engines, then submit to the maps of each of the major search engines

google maps
bing maps
yahoo maps

Maps info show up before search results so this is crucial.

See this thread for more:

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13299

Hope this helps you get started! Best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,775
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice.
Justin can you give us a little insight as to what kind of deadends you ran into and how they effected you?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Justin can you give us a little insight as to what kind of deadends you ran into and how they effected you?
I tried a few foreclosure asset management companies and, while I met all their qualifications for insurance, licensure, etc., I either had to have been established for atleast a year or they didn't have a need for anyone else to service my area.

I'm still waiting on my marketing supplies that I have on order to arrive, so I really haven't been able to go and sit down with any potential customers because I feel like I should atleast have my business cards in hand when I approach them. I have been spreading the word to people I know and having them tell others, but this should be more effective once my business cards and all come in.

Justin
T & K Property Management
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 AM
arthur712's Avatar
arthur712 arthur712 is offline
Artie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cocoa FL
Age: 42
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 5
arthur712 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymie View Post
I drop off business cards to any place that has a bulletin board, like grocery stores, department stores Laundromats etc. You can get business card holders from Artie on this site. http://www.marketingholders.com/CARD...PING-CRDQS.htm

They hold probably 25 business Cards. Check out his other products on the site, he has a lot of stuff that could be useful.


Yes I have some great stuff at www.marketingholders.com
10% Coupon Code is (sale2011)

Thanks!
Artie
__________________
Artie Crowley
www.marketingholders.com

www.mytakeacard.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
Yesterday 07:23 PM
Today 12:17 PM
by Steve
1 36
2.5 acre mowing
xandrew245x
04-18-2014 06:55 AM
Today 12:05 PM
by Steve
16 349
New Trailer
bobwill2009
Yesterday 12:46 PM
Today 12:01 PM
by Steve
3 77
Advertising On...
JacobsLawnMowing
03-17-2014 03:21 PM
Today 11:58 AM
by Steve
14 886
Pond...
xandrew245x
04-22-2014 03:29 PM
Today 05:57 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
4 101
Mangwi Landscaping
bondservojc13
Yesterday 09:56 PM
Today 05:41 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 55
Pushy customers
christopherhicks82
04-22-2014 08:22 PM
Today 04:56 AM
by Dan Tanner
6 156
In a bit situation need...
googus
04-22-2014 08:01 AM
Yesterday 10:03 PM
by googus
9 176
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
Yesterday 12:37 PM
by Steve
7 221
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
Yesterday 12:17 PM
by bobwill2009
79 25,351
The $20 Mow Job
Dan Tanner
04-21-2014 07:24 PM
Yesterday 12:06 PM
by Steve
5 199
quickbooks users
CDLAWNCARE
04-20-2014 09:03 AM
Yesterday 06:48 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
4 177
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
04-22-2014 07:55 PM
by Just for Cuts
23 586
About D@## Time!
TamMik
04-02-2014 08:10 AM
04-22-2014 05:14 PM
by BelleCityLawn1
19 877
Back for this year
xandrew245x
02-21-2014 04:30 PM
04-22-2014 03:36 PM
by xandrew245x
19 1,017
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-22-2014 12:29 AM
by Tony317
22 1,725
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-22-2014 12:07 AM
by Tony317
9 450
danny 2
danny2
04-19-2014 10:19 PM
04-21-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
3 138
this mower is driving me...
boog
04-17-2014 12:07 PM
04-21-2014 12:10 PM
by kslawn
13 365
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
04-21-2014 12:02 PM
by kslawn
20 611
I Got Taken...,
Dan Tanner
04-19-2014 06:26 AM
04-21-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
4 233
new to this forum!
mower13126
04-18-2014 07:37 PM
04-21-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
4 150
REO calling
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 05:03 PM
04-21-2014 11:33 AM
by Steve
12 351
employee pay
4 seasons maintenance
04-10-2011 09:34 PM
04-20-2014 04:40 PM
by Dan Tanner
20 6,890
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
04-20-2014 11:13 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
32 1,217
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
04-20-2014 11:11 AM
by kslawn
10 368
Customers droping like...
goodtimez
04-18-2014 09:53 AM
04-19-2014 08:09 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
7 232
Best Bulk Mulch delivery...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:52 AM
04-18-2014 05:34 PM
by Steve
2 106
Steve Virgadamo,...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:49 AM
04-18-2014 05:08 PM
by Steve
2 90
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
04-16-2014 11:28 AM
04-18-2014 04:51 PM
by Steve
3 191
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
04-18-2014 04:47 PM
by Steve
5 249
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
04-18-2014 04:39 PM
by Steve
9 268
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 11:00 PM
04-18-2014 04:04 PM
by stevef1201
10 290
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
04-18-2014 03:59 PM
by stevef1201
6 241
Pay per click advertising
roostertail
02-12-2014 07:26 PM
04-17-2014 07:11 PM
by yardrate
10 641
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-16-2014 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 810
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
04-16-2014 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 151
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 349
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
04-16-2014 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 134
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
04-16-2014 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 796
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
04-16-2014 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 299
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 237
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 372
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 278
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 156
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 286,938
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 533
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 541
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 244
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 502
» Popular Tags
advertisement aerator bid birdscaping buy charge christmas christmas light service client collections subcontractor credit card processing customers ecosymbiosis exmark fall ferris first truck flower bed for sale franchise georgia gopherhaul grass clarksville gravely holiday holiday decorating honda how much to charge how to bid invoice kawasaki late lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business show lawn service leaf cleanup leaf removal lesco lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing mulch mulch estimate native plants new buisness new business online classifieds organize payday podcast promotion rotating savannah scag season seo sprayer starting a business start up lawn care business stihl taxes theft of services tips truck unreasonable walker winter winter services zero turn
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy