Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Now What?


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default Now What?

Ok, I'm just starting my lawn service and have made it to the point where I am sort of taking a deep breath and asking 'now what?'.

I wanted to make sure I had all my t's crossed and i's dotted before I went to talk to people about becoming potential clients. I have my occupational license, insurance in place, all the appropriate forms and documents filed with the IRS, and an LLC established. My only snag now is ... I don't have much grass to mow!

I have a couple so called "accounts" with friends and family that cover expenses, but I don't want to just cover expenses. Can anyone help me with the next step?

I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice. I have business cards on the way and plan to really start networking and putting my business out there once my advertising supplies come in. I may have jumped into this at the wrong time of year, but it is what it is, and now that I have the formalities and legal issues (that I am aware of) covered, I'm ready to get to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Justin
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by T & K Property Management View Post
Ok, I'm just starting my lawn service and have made it to the point where I am sort of taking a deep breath and asking 'now what?'.

I wanted to make sure I had all my t's crossed and i's dotted before I went to talk to people about becoming potential clients. I have my occupational license, insurance in place, all the appropriate forms and documents filed with the IRS, and an LLC established. My only snag now is ... I don't have much grass to mow!

I have a couple so called "accounts" with friends and family that cover expenses, but I don't want to just cover expenses. Can anyone help me with the next step?

I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice. I have business cards on the way and plan to really start networking and putting my business out there once my advertising supplies come in. I may have jumped into this at the wrong time of year, but it is what it is, and now that I have the formalities and legal issues (that I am aware of) covered, I'm ready to get to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Justin
Flyers , Posters and business cards I went door to door with flyers 1000 at a shot made them on my computer I put posters up in local stores restaurants etc. I also went to Staples and bought a few cheap plastic business card holders and I have them at stores restaurants and barber shops.
I went from 4 to 8 to 11 full time 5 part time customers in three months.
I also hooked up with a couple of Real Estate Agents and they are sending me plenty on one off jobs (which pay the big $$$$).
All I can say is dig dig dig it will come if you really want to work at it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the reply Ducke. I think placing a business card holder at some local establishments will draw a lot of interest, but as you were saying, a variety of marketing strategies is a great idea.

I don't have a huge budget right now and I'm attempting to focus my resources on what people feel works best until I can generate some revenue. What technique do you think attracts the most customer attention?

Thanks

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T & K Property Management View Post
Thanks for the reply Ducke. I think placing a business card holder at some local establishments will draw a lot of interest, but as you were saying, a variety of marketing strategies is a great idea.

I don't have a huge budget right now and I'm attempting to focus my resources on what people feel works best until I can generate some revenue. What technique do you think attracts the most customer attention?

Thanks

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
One other thing I did was put a free ad on Kijiji ( its like Craig list)
I also paid $12.99 to have my ad at the top of the list for 7 days I have generated 5 of my accounts from this ad.

so I would have to say the door too door flyers and the kijiji ad were the best marketing that I have done.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

I started this season and I have had a lot of success using Craigslist.
One thing that sets me apart for 99% of the other ads is that I use an image rather than just a line ad with text only. I'm also fortunate in that I'm a graphic designer and was able to create my own ad to place on Craigslist - an ad that I've gotten many positive comments on from people who are now my regular clients.

I also picked up a few clients by hanging an ad at a local grocery store, and I've had some inquiries through my website. (which isn't complete, but I have my contact info and basic info available)

Strive to present yourself as a professional. In your advertising, your appearance, your attitude, in everything you do... people notice - and they talk.
I just picked up two more clients because the outfit that was servicing them was overcharging them as well as conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner while on the job. (foul language and overall bad attitude) "I watch how hard you work over there - you do good work" was what I was told by one of my new clients. People notice.

ALWAYS have business cards on you. Give them to anyone and everyone you speak to. TALK to people. At a minimum, say "hello" to every person you see while you are out working. There are people who WANT to ask you questions, but may not want to disturb you while you are working - give them the opportunity by chatting with them. You WILL pick up work this way.

Going door to door may or may not be effective. It worked OK for me, but I was just starting out and had nothing better to do. I don't have time for that kind of thing these days. Also, you may need a permit to solicit door to door - every municipality has their own rules.

Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 AM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
I started this season and I have had a lot of success using Craigslist.
One thing that sets me apart for 99% of the other ads is that I use an image rather than just a line ad with text only. I'm also fortunate in that I'm a graphic designer and was able to create my own ad to place on Craigslist - an ad that I've gotten many positive comments on from people who are now my regular clients.

I also picked up a few clients by hanging an ad at a local grocery store, and I've had some inquiries through my website. (which isn't complete, but I have my contact info and basic info available)

Strive to present yourself as a professional. In your advertising, your appearance, your attitude, in everything you do... people notice - and they talk.
I just picked up two more clients because the outfit that was servicing them was overcharging them as well as conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner while on the job. (foul language and overall bad attitude) "I watch how hard you work over there - you do good work" was what I was told by one of my new clients. People notice.

ALWAYS have business cards on you. Give them to anyone and everyone you speak to. TALK to people. At a minimum, say "hello" to every person you see while you are out working. There are people who WANT to ask you questions, but may not want to disturb you while you are working - give them the opportunity by chatting with them. You WILL pick up work this way.

Going door to door may or may not be effective. It worked OK for me, but I was just starting out and had nothing better to do. I don't have time for that kind of thing these days. Also, you may need a permit to solicit door to door - every municipality has their own rules.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for the advice and the well wishes Hedgemaster. One of the things I've been reading on different posts is the importance of finding something to set yourself apart from the masses so to speak. I like the idea of utilizing social media and craigslist, and adding an image certainly catches the eye.

I wrote in my introduction post that it is my goal to develop a service that is knowledgeable, customer service driven, and professional so I couldn't agree with you more about being professional and courteous.

I live in a small town outside of Gainesville, FL where talking to and just simply speaking to folks in passing is a way of life. That is great advice about engaging people to allow them to open up and bring the conversation around to the business at hand.

As for hard work and a good attitude, that cannot be advertised on printed paper. I feel like customers are looking for people they can trust to give their business to. Kudos for your professionalism and ability to win customers with your work ethic (as well as your graphic design skills!).

Word of mouth is an extremely beneficial, or negative in some cases, tool for any business and I strive to have only good things said for my name and my company's name through utilization of hard work, positive attitude, and my faith in Jesus Christ.

Thanks again for the advice and best of luck to you as well!

Justin
T & K Property Management, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2011, 05:57 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 912
Rep Power: 7
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

I have posted this before, here it is again...

There are a few ways to go about advertising your business. I have done:
  • Door Hangers
  • Post Cards
  • Display Advertising in my local pennysaver. They have a nice page inside they call Local Business Directory, it looks like a bulletin board.
  • Business Cards to every one I meet in Restaurants, Gas Stations, Bars and anywhere where there are people.

The best time to start is always. The peak time would be a month and a half before the grass begins to grow, then continue till the end of the season.

I drop off business cards to any place that has a bulletin board, like grocery stores, department stores Laundromats etc. You can get business card holders from Artie on this site. http://www.marketingholders.com/CARD...PING-CRDQS.htm

They hold probably 25 business Cards. Check out his other products on the site, he has a lot of stuff that could be useful.

Have magnets made with your company logo and phone number on them, one for both front doors and one for the back of your vehicle. People behind you can't see the sides of your truck when you drive around with no trailer. Good free advertising that way. This is a great site and the magnets are excellent quality: http://www.buildasign.com , I also order signs for the front lawn from them, also great quality for a fair price.

Utilize the free methods to advertise, google search free classified advertising
  • Craigslist
  • Backpage
  • topix.com
  • thumbtack.com
  • buysellcommunity.com
  • kijiji.com

Add your business to every business directory in your area
  • Yellowpages.com
  • Yellowbook.com
  • merchantcircle.com
  • manta.com
  • local.com
  • kudzu.com
  • thumbtack.com
  • yellowbot.com
  • citysearch.com
  • superpages.com
  • local.yahoo.com
  • superads.com
  • landscaping-companies.com
  • neighborhood.letsrenovate.com
  • start.cortera.com
  • allpages.com
  • local.garden.org
  • insiderpages.com
  • bizhwy.com
  • getfreelisting.com
  • mylocalservices.us
  • diyodp.com
  • evliving.com
  • freebusinessdirectory.com
  • volta.net
  • freeonlinebusinessdirectory.com

Submit your website and business to all the search engines, then submit to the maps of each of the major search engines

google maps
bing maps
yahoo maps

Maps info show up before search results so this is crucial.

See this thread for more:

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13299

Hope this helps you get started! Best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,246
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I have run into a few deadends, and while I'm not discouraged, I need a little advice.
Justin can you give us a little insight as to what kind of deadends you ran into and how they effected you?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM
T & K Property Management T & K Property Management is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
T & K Property Management is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Justin can you give us a little insight as to what kind of deadends you ran into and how they effected you?
I tried a few foreclosure asset management companies and, while I met all their qualifications for insurance, licensure, etc., I either had to have been established for atleast a year or they didn't have a need for anyone else to service my area.

I'm still waiting on my marketing supplies that I have on order to arrive, so I really haven't been able to go and sit down with any potential customers because I feel like I should atleast have my business cards in hand when I approach them. I have been spreading the word to people I know and having them tell others, but this should be more effective once my business cards and all come in.

Justin
T & K Property Management
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 AM
arthur712's Avatar
arthur712 arthur712 is offline
Artie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cocoa FL
Age: 43
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 6
arthur712 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymie View Post
I drop off business cards to any place that has a bulletin board, like grocery stores, department stores Laundromats etc. You can get business card holders from Artie on this site. http://www.marketingholders.com/CARD...PING-CRDQS.htm

They hold probably 25 business Cards. Check out his other products on the site, he has a lot of stuff that could be useful.


Yes I have some great stuff at www.marketingholders.com
10% Coupon Code is (sale2011)

Thanks!
Artie
__________________
Artie Crowley
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
New company in Michigan
SEM
04-24-2015 09:27 PM
Yesterday 11:42 PM
by SEM
2 50
Total yard rehab
SGL1
04-23-2015 03:59 PM
Yesterday 08:25 PM
by SGL1
7 141
mowing pic
joshlawncare
Yesterday 12:34 PM
Yesterday 08:09 PM
by avetslawncare
1 50
Big (to me) mulch job
tl757
04-23-2015 05:32 PM
Yesterday 08:01 PM
by avetslawncare
7 159
what's the big deal...
Tony317
Yesterday 02:19 PM
Yesterday 02:19 PM
by Tony317
0 36
Lawn Care Service in...
Friscobob
04-24-2015 03:33 PM
Yesterday 05:35 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 78
Newb Question - Multiple...
DependiLawn
04-24-2015 11:36 PM
04-24-2015 11:36 PM
by DependiLawn
0 39
maintandlawndispatch...
SGL1
04-21-2015 03:31 PM
04-24-2015 04:42 PM
by Steve
9 213
Thoughts on Undocumented...
element009
09-25-2011 11:08 AM
04-23-2015 09:32 PM
by Chilehead
56 15,505
Hello Everyone
DesignsByBnC
04-22-2015 04:07 PM
04-23-2015 02:19 PM
by DesignsByBnC
2 91
The upcoming rainy...
5StarLawnscaping
04-21-2015 01:22 PM
04-23-2015 12:54 PM
by Steve
7 190
color fliers?
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:32 PM
04-23-2015 12:50 PM
by Steve
12 355
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 12:41 AM
04-22-2015 07:04 PM
by Just for Cuts
59 2,529
WARNING! Especially to...
SC93
04-19-2015 12:05 PM
04-22-2015 01:39 PM
by Steve
14 420
Could be great news for...
SC93
04-14-2015 11:06 PM
04-22-2015 01:28 PM
by Steve
15 507
quick pic
joshlawncare
04-14-2015 07:49 PM
04-21-2015 05:01 PM
by joshlawncare
4 332
Got Inspected today
swstout
08-09-2010 10:31 PM
04-21-2015 03:53 PM
by SGL1
10 3,988
Smoked my first belt!
SGL1
04-20-2015 08:46 PM
04-21-2015 03:28 PM
by SGL1
4 159
Pictures of commercial...
avetslawncare
04-01-2015 09:47 PM
04-21-2015 12:47 PM
by Steve
25 1,014
lawn care business...
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:56 PM
04-21-2015 06:18 AM
by holymoly
3 254
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
04-21-2015 03:18 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
57 5,247
landscape insurance
clarkslawn
03-30-2015 10:14 PM
04-20-2015 10:02 PM
by SGL1
4 472
Poll & Discussion...
CHEESE2009
09-16-2011 06:16 PM
04-20-2015 08:20 PM
by avetslawncare
27 5,669
weed
avetslawncare
04-16-2015 07:56 PM
04-20-2015 01:08 PM
by Steve
4 262
Aerating / Dethaching...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
04-12-2015 07:53 PM
04-19-2015 08:49 PM
by Chilehead
17 600
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
04-19-2015 09:21 AM
by KJ90
8 1,012
bidding a cemetery....
NPM_LLC
03-28-2015 10:56 AM
04-19-2015 05:26 AM
by RSE
22 1,015
Hustler Raptor
SGL1
04-13-2015 09:27 PM
04-18-2015 07:53 AM
by SGL1
15 520
is craiglist good to...
JBENI
04-16-2015 11:11 AM
04-17-2015 10:25 PM
by Wolf4dk
11 418
Am I missing something...
googus
04-11-2015 06:33 PM
04-17-2015 08:01 PM
by avetslawncare
10 543
Hello
sonny54
04-16-2015 09:49 PM
04-17-2015 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 203
Unreal
Chilehead
04-09-2015 09:12 PM
04-17-2015 08:27 AM
by Chilehead
11 569
starting a lawn care...
JBENI
04-14-2015 09:03 AM
04-17-2015 08:03 AM
by JBENI
14 549
Finally got a warehouse
avetslawncare
03-12-2015 07:52 PM
04-16-2015 07:52 PM
by avetslawncare
23 1,372
New 14 x 7 Enclosed...
whitepropertydetail
04-15-2015 06:46 PM
04-16-2015 03:40 PM
by Steve
1 258
older used dump trucks
SECTLANDSCAPING
09-22-2011 12:33 AM
04-16-2015 12:41 PM
by biglee
21 8,056
Tax Poll
Steve
04-15-2015 02:13 PM
04-15-2015 02:13 PM
by Steve
0 241
lawn care by Aj
aj10261984
04-14-2015 06:50 PM
04-15-2015 01:43 PM
by Steve
2 275
Contact last years...
googus
01-28-2015 08:13 AM
04-15-2015 12:54 PM
by SC93
7 1,273
trying to sign up for...
JBENI
04-14-2015 10:20 AM
04-14-2015 12:11 PM
by Steve
1 746
Charging customers for...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
04-14-2015 07:34 AM
04-14-2015 10:35 AM
by Steve
1 310
New member
Jdlandscaping,LLC
04-11-2015 03:24 PM
04-14-2015 05:45 AM
by Jdlandscaping,LLC
2 333
hello
oasis_greenscapes
04-01-2015 06:18 PM
04-13-2015 12:03 PM
by Steve
8 573
New Member
Greenturion
04-11-2015 02:00 PM
04-13-2015 11:59 AM
by Steve
1 296
Client with...
OldSalt
04-07-2015 09:47 PM
04-13-2015 11:57 AM
by Steve
8 524
Getting rid of "mulched...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 04:21 PM
04-13-2015 11:26 AM
by biglee
3 333
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
04-13-2015 11:11 AM
by biglee
7 448
Billing methods
jcurr33
03-26-2015 01:33 PM
04-13-2015 11:07 AM
by biglee
15 953
Landscape Fabric
CurbAppeal1
04-10-2015 03:58 PM
04-13-2015 08:02 AM
by Chilehead
4 378
I lost a long term...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-04-2011 02:24 PM
04-12-2015 04:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
17 4,020
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying auger billy goat brushcutter blowout bush commercial contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts demonstration design ditches door hangers employee problems estimate facebook foreman google growing a lawn care business how to hydraulic jobs john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn aeration lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business seo lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing managing a lawn care business marketing marketing secrets mulch new mower patio install per hour service pricing pto scag v-ride search engine optimization secrets to landscaping seo shell shreaded snow plowing sq ft starting a lawn care business steep lawns theft toro toro grand stand tractor auger trailer mate pro up sell employee web design website website design wood wright stander rh www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy