Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job
If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.

Shrub Mess Reclaimed


Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducke View Post
Hedge
How do you like the Sthil Trimmer/ weed whacker.
My old Sthil weed whacker is on the way out and I was looking at buying a new one and may consider one of the combo units.

Graham

I'm very happy with the Stihl.
I bought it last summer and it's been good to me. Lots of power and starts easily.

Note that this isn't a Kombi System. Just about everyone assumes that it is because they see the attachment and it looks almost the same, but note the shaft - no "split".
I was going to get the Kombi System, but right off the bat it's $100 more (than the FS90R) if you are looking to start with the "powerhead and a string trimmer attachment. Since the dealer knew I was interested in "attachments", he steered me towards the FS90R, as it has a detachable head and accepts various gearbox attachments while keeping the strength of a straight shaft.

For me, personally, the only disadvantage (to the FS90R) is that if I want the pole pruner (chainsaw) attachment, there is no additional "reach" beyond the length of the shaft as it is. With the Kombi System, you can get an extension to give you a longer pole/added reach. Otherwise this unit takes almost all the same types of attachments. (except they don't have half a "shaft" attached to them - these attachments are not compatible w/Kombi System btw)

Here's a thread with some better pics of the trimmer attachment.
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13790

I've gotten a lot of use from the trimmer attachment... well worth the money.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 5
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
I'm very happy with the Stihl.
I bought it last summer and it's been good to me. Lots of power and starts easily.

Note that this isn't a Kombi System. Just about everyone assumes that it is because they see the attachment and it looks almost the same, but note the shaft - no "split".
I was going to get the Kombi System, but right off the bat it's $100 more (than the FS90R) if you are looking to start with the "powerhead and a string trimmer attachment. Since the dealer knew I was interested in "attachments", he steered me towards the FS90R, as it has a detachable head and accepts various gearbox attachments while keeping the strength of a straight shaft.

For me, personally, the only disadvantage (to the FS90R) is that if I want the pole pruner (chainsaw) attachment, there is no additional "reach" beyond the length of the shaft as it is. With the Kombi System, you can get an extension to give you a longer pole/added reach. Otherwise this unit takes almost all the same types of attachments. (except they don't have half a "shaft" attached to them - these attachments are not compatible w/Kombi System btw)

Here's a thread with some better pics of the trimmer attachment.
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13790

I've gotten a lot of use from the trimmer attachment... well worth the money.
i have the same stihl but i have not used any attachments is it hard to add them? i mean what kind of toold do u use to change the head and add the trimmer?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzgardening View Post
i have the same stihl but i have not used any attachments is it hard to add them? i mean what kind of toold do u use to change the head and add the trimmer?
If it takes you more than 30 seconds to swap them out you probably shouldn't be allowed to operate a motor vehicle, let alone power tools.

Look at your Stihl. (or the pics in the link above) See those two "screws" on the top of the string trimmer head where the shaft ends? Take the included tool (seen in pics in the link above - it's essentially a "star" screwdriver) and loosen both of them about a half turn, then slide the head off. Slip the attachment of your choosing onto the shaft and tighten the two screws. Done.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Growing Green Growing Green is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 323
Rep Power: 0
Growing Green is on a distinguished road
Default

I have the 110R Kombi system that I bought a couple of months ago. I have the straight lawn edger, adjustable hedge trimmer, straight trimmer and the pole pruner. It is awesome!!! Saves me a ton of time and takes about 20 seconds to switch out.

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

On a slightly different topic I was out mowing yesterday and while I was driving down a small side street I saw a women trimming her hedge with her $25.00 HD Electric Weed Wacker
Funny thing is it actually looked good
I didn't have my camera as it was charging and I was so stunned by what I saw I forgot that my new phone has one in it.
Man it was funny here she was holding the whipper snipper by the throat and had tape over the trigger to keep it going and trimming the top which was at chest height.
Now I find myself wanting to go down the street again to see if I can catch her at it again.
What some people will do.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Hahaha!

I guess if the shrubs are thin enough you could get away with it, but that's an eye injury waiting to happen for sure!

On that note, you should have seen the contraption I rigged up to trim the top of a huge shrub next to my deck.
The deck is about 10' off the ground (sorry, I don't know what that is in "Canadian" ) and there used to be a huge shrub roughly 7' in diameter growing right next to it. I liked to keep the shrub height trimmed to about the top of the railing on the deck. The trouble was that there wasn't a safe place to put a step ladder near it due to the sloping ground, and I couldn't quite reach the far side of it while standing on the deck, so I rigged up a "pole trimmer".

I took an 8' furring strip (board about 1"x3") and slipped it through the front handle of my Black and Decker electric hedge trimmers, with the end resting against the "guard" of the trimmer. I then duct taped ( ) the snot out of it to attach it and drove some drywall screws into a few spots to help hold it in position, then duct taped that part as well.

Awesome. Now I have a hedge trimmer attached to an 8' board - PERFECT!
Well, not yet anyway... the thing was too "front heavy" (duh) so I drove a few more screws in near the "front" of the furring strip and tied a length of rope around that point to be used to support the front of said contraption with my left hand while holding the back part of the board with my right.

OK, so after a "test reach", I decided I had the rope attached at a good "balance point", and then plugged the thing into the extension cord. I used a twist tie to hold the trigger in the "on" position, and I duct taped the cord to the board to keep it out of the way, and then went to get my 6' step ladder.
LOL! Nothing says "danger" like swinging electric-powered gardening tools around while standing 4' up a step ladder at the edge of a deck that's 10' off the ground!!!

My wife couldn't watch.

It actually worked like a charm! I went up the ladder I had placed at the edge of the deck, and was able to use the rope with my left hand to control where the trimmer went. I just "swung" it back and forth, while holding onto the board with my right hand! Haha! Genius!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,471
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Could you show us a picture of this? This sounds interesting.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 PM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 5
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
Hahaha!

I guess if the shrubs are thin enough you could get away with it, but that's an eye injury waiting to happen for sure!

On that note, you should have seen the contraption I rigged up to trim the top of a huge shrub next to my deck.
The deck is about 10' off the ground (sorry, I don't know what that is in "Canadian" ) and there used to be a huge shrub roughly 7' in diameter growing right next to it. I liked to keep the shrub height trimmed to about the top of the railing on the deck. The trouble was that there wasn't a safe place to put a step ladder near it due to the sloping ground, and I couldn't quite reach the far side of it while standing on the deck, so I rigged up a "pole trimmer".

I took an 8' furring strip (board about 1"x3") and slipped it through the front handle of my Black and Decker electric hedge trimmers, with the end resting against the "guard" of the trimmer. I then duct taped ( ) the snot out of it to attach it and drove some drywall screws into a few spots to help hold it in position, then duct taped that part as well.

Awesome. Now I have a hedge trimmer attached to an 8' board - PERFECT!
Well, not yet anyway... the thing was too "front heavy" (duh) so I drove a few more screws in near the "front" of the furring strip and tied a length of rope around that point to be used to support the front of said contraption with my left hand while holding the back part of the board with my right.

OK, so after a "test reach", I decided I had the rope attached at a good "balance point", and then plugged the thing into the extension cord. I used a twist tie to hold the trigger in the "on" position, and I duct taped the cord to the board to keep it out of the way, and then went to get my 6' step ladder.
LOL! Nothing says "danger" like swinging electric-powered gardening tools around while standing 4' up a step ladder at the edge of a deck that's 10' off the ground!!!

My wife couldn't watch.

It actually worked like a charm! I went up the ladder I had placed at the edge of the deck, and was able to use the rope with my left hand to control where the trimmer went. I just "swung" it back and forth, while holding onto the board with my right hand! Haha! Genius!
haha a man has to do what a man has to do! haha sounds like fun :P
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bush & Shrub Installation clandscaping44 Starting a lawn care business. 14 07-11-2011 10:00 PM
shrub warranty whlineman Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes 5 03-28-2011 05:42 PM
Shrub pruning bidding Jimmy53 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 2 05-31-2009 08:54 PM
How to price shrub jobs? grassmowers08 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 1 10-07-2008 07:56 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
I dont know what to do...
Bradcook21
06-21-2015 08:49 AM
Today 05:19 PM
by stallman419
14 2,295
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
Today 02:54 PM
by GreenWorx
13 3,299
Is it too late to do...
markty
06-16-2015 05:28 PM
Today 01:00 PM
by problem solver
9 2,116
Pricing issue
Mr. Mow
Today 06:15 AM
Today 11:11 AM
by SGL1
2 67
Should I buy this Exmark...
googus
07-03-2015 09:22 AM
Today 10:23 AM
by Steve
6 192
Hi everyone
Mattw
Yesterday 05:59 PM
Today 10:18 AM
by Steve
1 55
how to make customers...
Bradcook21
05-27-2015 05:04 PM
Yesterday 06:30 PM
by Mattw
8 2,394
4th of July parade...
Steve
Yesterday 10:35 AM
Yesterday 10:35 AM
by Steve
0 38
Unemployment rates drop,...
Steve
07-02-2015 12:40 PM
Yesterday 10:30 AM
by Steve
4 187
Just about mid year, how...
GreenWorx
06-24-2015 07:05 PM
Yesterday 10:14 AM
by Steve
7 2,002
another newish job for me
holymoly
06-07-2015 08:34 AM
07-03-2015 02:06 PM
by American L&T
9 2,190
Before & After tree...
COREtreeservice
07-01-2015 09:20 PM
07-01-2015 09:20 PM
by COREtreeservice
0 128
Dogs
Mr. Mow
06-29-2015 02:37 PM
07-01-2015 11:28 AM
by Steve
6 1,958
Ready to learn and get...
Koley Lawn & Landscape
06-28-2015 05:16 AM
07-01-2015 11:26 AM
by Steve
8 1,938
Three Stripe Land Care...
hammr04
06-30-2015 07:19 PM
07-01-2015 11:24 AM
by Steve
1 119
Country Life Lawn Care
darleneh
06-29-2015 11:24 AM
06-30-2015 01:25 PM
by Steve
3 1,780
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
06-29-2015 09:23 PM
by Chilehead
6 1,944
Marketing ideas
xandrew245x
04-29-2014 06:35 AM
06-25-2015 07:11 PM
by GreenWorx
34 5,828
Never ending sod jobs
avetslawncare
06-05-2015 09:46 PM
06-25-2015 11:42 AM
by Steve
11 2,431
Weed and Feed Service...
mike94740
06-23-2015 05:50 PM
06-24-2015 09:56 PM
by avetslawncare
2 1,838
Trimming hedges / trees,...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
06-23-2015 07:08 PM
06-24-2015 09:59 AM
by Steve
1 1,841
Hi Everyone from Arkansas
KellyMarie
06-04-2015 04:16 PM
06-23-2015 01:34 PM
by KellyMarie
4 2,121
problems with a customer...
LawnCareMan280
06-16-2015 10:26 PM
06-22-2015 11:11 AM
by Steve
6 2,158
Please review this FREE...
markty
06-21-2015 07:42 AM
06-22-2015 11:00 AM
by Steve
1 1,864
A good commercial bid...
burtle
06-20-2015 09:09 PM
06-22-2015 10:56 AM
by Steve
1 1,937
What would you do with...
holymoly
06-20-2015 06:48 PM
06-22-2015 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 1,894
New Member just joined...
vgoleco@hotmail.com
06-19-2015 03:49 PM
06-22-2015 10:42 AM
by Steve
2 1,884
Credit Cards - What's in...
Shark1611
06-16-2015 03:04 PM
06-21-2015 07:24 PM
by Chilehead
4 1,996
Blade usage
Wolf4dk
06-16-2015 12:18 AM
06-21-2015 05:35 PM
by kslawn
4 2,005
Hello, I am new to the...
adamslawnservices
06-17-2015 08:06 PM
06-19-2015 10:28 AM
by Steve
3 1,922
First commercial bid
SGL1
06-12-2015 08:57 PM
06-18-2015 05:04 PM
by SGL1
9 2,397
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
06-18-2015 11:02 AM
by Steve
7 2,081
I have been rude and...
biglee
06-15-2015 10:11 PM
06-18-2015 10:46 AM
by Steve
10 2,161
Customer keeps adding...
Mr. Mow
06-13-2015 06:22 AM
06-16-2015 10:23 AM
by Steve
11 2,425
Pass discounts onto...
burnell76
06-03-2015 06:33 PM
06-16-2015 10:02 AM
by burnell76
3 2,086
burned grass only where...
nhauto
06-15-2015 05:28 PM
06-16-2015 09:45 AM
by Steve
2 1,953
Half year mark review.
Steve
06-02-2015 11:24 AM
06-15-2015 01:04 PM
by Steve
18 2,716
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
06-15-2015 01:01 PM
by Steve
86 9,797
New Member
Bruce Fehr
06-05-2015 07:13 PM
06-15-2015 12:53 PM
by Steve
6 2,096
New to the business,...
CarefreeMowing
06-12-2015 02:36 PM
06-15-2015 12:50 PM
by Steve
1 1,981
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 11:45 AM
06-13-2015 08:48 AM
by holymoly
45 12,124
New to the forum, new to...
CarefreeMowing
06-11-2015 12:35 PM
06-12-2015 10:44 AM
by Steve
2 1,888
problems with a customer
LawnCareMan280
05-19-2015 06:28 PM
06-11-2015 10:50 PM
by stallman419
8 2,452
Website Review
Outdoordesignsknox
06-08-2015 08:44 PM
06-11-2015 09:48 PM
by Just for Cuts
13 2,350
Anyone need help? I have...
biglee
05-06-2015 12:22 PM
06-10-2015 01:45 PM
by holymoly
15 3,046
Hello from the GREAT...
gbfarmsllc
06-09-2015 11:10 AM
06-10-2015 01:29 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 1,957
Hey guys and gals, I'm...
Joeyhall
06-03-2015 03:54 PM
06-08-2015 02:15 PM
by chris2500hd
8 2,213
Mowing Bermuda...
Mr. Mow
06-02-2015 12:45 PM
06-08-2015 12:45 PM
by Steve
12 2,379
Hey Guys
PrattLandscaping
06-07-2015 06:37 PM
06-08-2015 12:23 PM
by Steve
2 1,978
Share your stolen...
SGL1
05-27-2015 09:05 PM
06-08-2015 11:54 AM
by Steve
25 2,949
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping advertising aerocore apartment complex bark billy goat brushcutter blowout bob villa collections commercial curb appeal services demonstration design door hangers edging employee problems equipment dealer equipment rental foreman free advertising free lawn care google growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills how to husqvarna increase customers jobs landscape landscape services landscaping landscaping training lawn aeration lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets more customers business mr dave mulch new business ordinance past due patio install per hour service pricing profit on employee push versus ride scag scripts secrets to landscaping shell shreaded small engine repair sq ft square foot swzt trailer trailer mate pro tree tree pics trimmer rack up sell employee web design website website design wood www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy