Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes

Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes
Discuss issues dealing with landscapes, hardscapes, exterior landscape lighting and lighting fixtures, lawn irrigation, sprinklers, sprinkler heads, mulch, retaining walls, etc.

Plants, Mulch, Trees, Etc.


Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes

Discuss issues dealing with landscapes, hardscapes, exterior landscape lighting and lighting fixtures, lawn irrigation, sprinklers, sprinkler heads, mulch, retaining walls, etc.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default Plants, Mulch, Trees, Etc.

Here comes another question that I am sure you pros will find funny. But being new at this I have been getting my plants from Home Depot and Lowes. We are a small town and do not have much to shop from. I asked the Lowes department head for a discount in that I bought a pallet of mulch, and a large about of plants but she said no way. Is this how it is in that we who do this for a living pay the same as Mary and Bob on a weekend?

I do like the one year warranty on the plants but thought I would get discounts like when I bought lumber from them.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Fisher Fisher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Bluff, TN
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 6
Fisher is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
I get discounts for bulk Items from Lowes and HD under my contractor account and there are restrictions and minimums. However, I do not buy much in the way of plants or mulch from them. In Tennessee to get a discount for plants from nurseries and legally the state requires that you have a Landscaper certificate ($200) and track all your live plant purchases as well as sod. Some nurseries will simply give a 20% discount even with out the certificate and even without the discount are usually cheaper than a chain store.

Try talking to someone else at lowes, considering they often have a sale on mulch at $2.50 per bag it shouldn't be hard to get a discount from regular price on the mulch when buying 75 bags on the pallet. even at 2.50 per bag of 2 cu.ft x 75 would be 150 cubic feet (just under 6 yards) for $187.50 plus tax. Where my full 6yds bulk mulch would run about $120-130 + tax
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
I get discounts for bulk Items from Lowes and HD under my contractor account and there are restrictions and minimums. However, I do not buy much in the way of plants or mulch from them. In Tennessee to get a discount for plants from nurseries and legally the state requires that you have a Landscaper certificate ($200) and track all your live plant purchases as well as sod. Some nurseries will simply give a 20% discount even with out the certificate and even without the discount are usually cheaper than a chain store.

Try talking to someone else at lowes, considering they often have a sale on mulch at $2.50 per bag it shouldn't be hard to get a discount from regular price on the mulch when buying 75 bags on the pallet. even at 2.50 per bag of 2 cu.ft x 75 would be 150 cubic feet (just under 6 yards) for $187.50 plus tax. Where my full 6yds bulk mulch would run about $120-130 + tax
Hey thanks so much. I did buy the pallet while it was on sell but when it came to the plants I got zero discount. I do know a place that has the bulk mulch and I could try that out. I was thinking the labor cost of digging it out of a trailer vs. dumping out of a bag would save me labor and time.

QUESTION: I have another bed that I need to do for the city. It was full of weeds and crab grass so i killed it all out with round up. Is it best to till it up and then plant my new plants followed by mulch and then spot spray round up when weeds come up?

Thank you again for your help. Just maybe one day I will be the one helping someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Fisher Fisher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Bluff, TN
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 6
Fisher is on a distinguished road
Default

I would usually wait about 7 days after killing out a bed and then till and treat again and try to wait another seven days before plantings. That's me though not sure about the others. A good 4 inch layer of mulch will greatly help deter any surviving roots or seed below from coming through.

Using a snow shovel on a flat wood trailer and a 5 tine pitchfork I can load, move (at a distance of 50' from the bed) and spread one yard of mulch in under 30 minutes. This equals 13.5 bags to be carried or rolled, opened and then spread. I will usually only use the bag when it's on sale that way even though I feel I may only save as much as 15 minutes in labor per yard, what I do like is that the bag is usually treated to kill weeds for 6 months as well as "guaranteed" to hold its color for a year. Much easier to store out of the weather as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
I would usually wait about 7 days after killing out a bed and then till and treat again and try to wait another seven days before plantings. That's me though not sure about the others. A good 4 inch layer of mulch will greatly help deter any surviving roots or seed below from coming through.

Using a snow shovel on a flat wood trailer and a 5 tine pitchfork I can load, move (at a distance of 50' from the bed) and spread one yard of mulch in under 30 minutes. This equals 13.5 bags to be carried or rolled, opened and then spread. I will usually only use the bag when it's on sale that way even though I feel I may only save as much as 15 minutes in labor per yard, what I do like is that the bag is usually treated to kill weeds for 6 months as well as "guaranteed" to hold its color for a year. Much easier to store out of the weather as well.
Thank you it looks like everyone else agrees do to no postings. I will get to work on theis in the next few days. You have been a great help.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,974
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I do like the one year warranty on the plants but thought I would get discounts like when I bought lumber from them.
Do you have any nurseries in your area at all?

I would figure the benefit to buying them at a discount from a nursery would outweigh the big box warranty.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Fisher Fisher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Bluff, TN
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 6
Fisher is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm with Steve on what he said. I save about 30% over the cost of the box stores easy, and when properly installed and the customer is educated on care(especially in summer) I also find that I have much better initial success with the plants from a nursery, for whatever reason they alway seem to do better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ID these plants Jack Rabbit Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 2 04-18-2010 02:20 PM
Pointy Trees Chollie2 Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes 5 04-08-2009 06:39 AM
palm trees toxicweirdo Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 20 01-24-2009 11:22 PM
Trees for troops Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 1 12-29-2008 02:58 PM
Ornamentals plants out selling tobacco Steve General Business Discussions 0 05-17-2006 11:32 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
Yesterday 08:19 PM
by mowandblow1980
7 458
Best Push Mower You Have...
markty
05-14-2016 03:46 PM
Yesterday 08:11 PM
by mowandblow1980
21 873
Great Arborist Ladder
SGL1
06-04-2016 09:56 AM
Yesterday 08:04 PM
by mowandblow1980
11 410
3 Applications or 5...
stansg1fresh
02-18-2013 12:02 PM
Yesterday 02:53 PM
by acrajchel
4 1,414
Chemical Applications
acrajchel
06-24-2016 06:44 PM
Yesterday 02:48 PM
by acrajchel
2 74
Spot checked by...
Just for Cuts
Yesterday 02:34 PM
Yesterday 02:37 PM
by Chilehead
1 30
Newbie
Jhoell
06-25-2016 03:28 AM
Yesterday 02:11 PM
by Chilehead
2 70
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
Yesterday 11:02 AM
by Brownieboy
1,253 438,203
Hello Everyone
JohnsLawnCare
06-22-2016 11:14 AM
Yesterday 08:36 AM
by Steve
13 245
Business Overload
Chilehead
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
06-27-2016 09:14 PM
by Chilehead
19 791
Firefighter gone Lawn...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
03-10-2016 04:50 PM
06-24-2016 07:26 PM
by acrajchel
9 10,109
Exmark Turf Tracer
acrajchel
02-01-2014 11:34 AM
06-24-2016 07:23 PM
by acrajchel
5 2,142
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
06-24-2016 06:59 PM
by acrajchel
7 3,046
Ybravo 25 mowers
SGL1
06-11-2016 09:52 AM
06-21-2016 03:44 PM
by acrajchel
5 303
Help a Brother Out -...
Hedgemaster
01-23-2012 04:19 PM
06-17-2016 08:28 AM
by SGL1
94 34,498
anyone interested in a...
GoGreenerKS
06-16-2016 01:00 PM
06-17-2016 02:58 AM
by SC93
4 176
Prolin
rmccutchan
05-21-2016 04:53 PM
06-16-2016 05:28 PM
by acrajchel
3 333
Laying new grass, Sod...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-23-2016 10:07 AM
06-16-2016 05:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 327
Upgraded to a new mower
Stevenor92
05-17-2016 08:17 PM
06-16-2016 05:22 PM
by acrajchel
9 552
How can I fix my...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
06-10-2016 07:47 PM
06-16-2016 05:19 PM
by acrajchel
2 238
Need a lil help
Cpadgett
06-05-2016 09:51 AM
06-16-2016 05:17 PM
by acrajchel
5 369
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
06-16-2016 05:01 PM
by acrajchel
4 9,768
New Member from...
tiptoppmanager
06-15-2016 07:39 AM
06-15-2016 03:18 PM
by SC93
2 175
Brand new fish pond
Flynn landscaping 2016
06-12-2016 09:53 AM
06-13-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 151
Whats up??
Cpadgett
05-27-2016 10:57 AM
06-06-2016 08:46 PM
by Cpadgett
11 517
New Member from Texas
NathanR
06-02-2016 06:13 PM
06-03-2016 09:17 PM
by SC93
7 334
Edging Fad...
Tree geek
05-10-2016 11:29 PM
06-03-2016 07:02 PM
by SGL1
3 508
To mow weekly or Biweekly
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-11-2016 04:09 PM
06-03-2016 06:42 PM
by SGL1
11 793
Your Time Lawn Care
yourtimelawncare
05-31-2016 01:12 PM
06-02-2016 10:11 PM
by SC93
2 292
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy