Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Officially Official!


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default Officially Official!

After having a hard time with my county getting the correct license to operate a Landscaping Business, i finally got it. That was the last piece i needed to complete the puzzle and finally be able to call myself a licensed contractor. I have 25 properties as of this afternoon that i added to my list of 3 i had last summer and more are knocking at my door. Cant wait to finally relax and just cut grass without any stress of the paperwork and all the other BS i had to go through. Happy Cutting

Dan
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Hey. I'm a recently "legitimized" business owner myself, so I know what you are talking about.

Folks, how about a little love for another guy who isn't out to lowball everyone out of work?



Your hard work and effort to do it the right way is to be applauded.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 AM
elrascal's Avatar
elrascal elrascal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 5
elrascal is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClassLandscaping View Post
After having a hard time with my county getting the correct license to operate a Landscaping Business, i finally got it. That was the last piece i needed to complete the puzzle and finally be able to call myself a licensed contractor. I have 25 properties as of this afternoon that i added to my list of 3 i had last summer and more are knocking at my door. Cant wait to finally relax and just cut grass without any stress of the paperwork and all the other BS i had to go through. Happy Cutting

Dan
Great Stuff Dan. Do you mind sharing with usas to how you got your 25 clients?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 PM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Hedgemaster- Thanks i have a big problem in my town with illegals lowballing and not having a legit business and it gets really annoying when a customer says no to my bid and yes to theirs bc its cheaper.

elrascal- Basically its mostly word of mouth and talking to people that i know...i did get maybe 3 or 4 on advertisment but the other 20 were from word of mouth which works very well for me bc if you do a good job on someones property then they will refer you to everyone that they know and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,982
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

What do you think caused the big problem with the county as far as finding what license you needed?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What do you think caused the big problem with the county as far as finding what license you needed?
It not as much of finding out what lisense i needed rather than the rules and regs that are in place to have one. In my county you cant cut your neighbors lawn even if your doing it for free. You need to own the property that you maintain to not get in any kind of trouble. The big thing inmy county is Consumer Protection, which i agree with 100% and have no problem with. But i didnt have my license yet and advertised to see what i would get before i started and got a summons because i was soliciting work without a license which in my county is illegal, to advertise, work, or estimate any property without a license. So i got caught and had to show up to a formal hearing and the first offense is $1000. But a statute in the laws for the county state that a full time student under the age of 22 doesnt need a license which i dont agree with at all...even though it saved me $1000 dollars and my summons got dismissed. But my point here is if the county is all about Consumer Protection then why let a student joe blow who just wants to try and make cash for the summer not have to pay for the license which is $300 every 2 years and just let them go out uninsured and uneducated in the business at all. The rules are rediculous and need to be changed in my opionion.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 5
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClassLandscaping View Post
But a statute in the laws for the county state that a full time student under the age of 22 doesnt need a license which i dont agree with at all...even though it saved me $1000 dollars and my summons got dismissed. But my point here is if the county is all about Consumer Protection then why let a student joe blow who just wants to try and make cash for the summer not have to pay for the license which is $300 every 2 years and just let them go out uninsured and uneducated in the business at all. The rules are rediculous and need to be changed in my opionion.

I really have to disagree with you here, a student that has the time to cut the lawn around your neighborhood for the summer is actually doing more for his community then us...
Yes we might know the business, know more about the type of grasses and their needs, we know how to improve a landscape but how do you think a 20 year old student that lives on his own can make a living with nothing but loans? they either ask for free money from the Gov or have the Gov reduce the penalties for him to be able to live or survive and yet he is being productive without saturating the system. He is also probably charging his neighbors less to do something they would pay 20-30% more for this helps the community since there is more money to do other things with. You and I can survive with all the advertising, the student only helps out his community, you and I can spread out throughout the city, the student is community based.

Glad to hear you went through the whole process the way we all have done it, hope this season is good for you and hope that there are no more illegals taking your bids

Good mowing
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzgardening View Post
I really have to disagree with you here, a student that has the time to cut the lawn around your neighborhood for the summer is actually doing more for his community then us...
Yes we might know the business, know more about the type of grasses and their needs, we know how to improve a landscape but how do you think a 20 year old student that lives on his own can make a living with nothing but loans? they either ask for free money from the Gov or have the Gov reduce the penalties for him to be able to live or survive and yet he is being productive without saturating the system. He is also probably charging his neighbors less to do something they would pay 20-30% more for this helps the community since there is more money to do other things with. You and I can survive with all the advertising, the student only helps out his community, you and I can spread out throughout the city, the student is community based.

Glad to hear you went through the whole process the way we all have done it, hope this season is good for you and hope that there are no more illegals taking your bids

Good mowing
Im not saying that they wont help the community...im a full time college student as well and is a good thing to not make a college student with lots of loans to pay...But if my county praises all about consumer protection and think that is the most important thing when operating a company, then why let the kid with no license and consumer protection of any type by not having any insurance go cut lawns for people in his community and risk not helping it. My feeling is why go out their to try and help if you risk making a big problem by not being Protected, which is why they should need the license.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2011, 04:23 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 5
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClassLandscaping View Post
Im not saying that they wont help the community...im a full time college student as well and is a good thing to not make a college student with lots of loans to pay...But if my county praises all about consumer protection and think that is the most important thing when operating a company, then why let the kid with no license and consumer protection of any type by not having any insurance go cut lawns for people in his community and risk not helping it. My feeling is why go out their to try and help if you risk making a big problem by not being Protected, which is why they should need the license.
ahh now i understand your point. Would it be easier to have some type of permit for the college students since they wont make it a career instead of having them get a full on license?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
FirstClassLandscaping FirstClassLandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Westchester New York
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
FirstClassLandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzgardening View Post
ahh now i understand your point. Would it be easier to have some type of permit for the college students since they wont make it a career instead of having them get a full on license?
Oh yes that would help lots due to the fact that everytime you get caught you need to goto the county office of consumer protection to get it dismissed. So proof of not needing a license and saying your a college student wuould make it way easier.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
its official Golftrick17 Introduce Yourself 9 02-05-2011 06:42 AM
Need help becoming official racerdude711 Starting a lawn care business. 5 09-28-2010 08:26 PM
I Officially HATE Chevy jklawncare General Talk 10 04-24-2010 03:51 PM
It's Official Now rclandscaping Starting a lawn care business. 6 03-05-2009 07:29 PM
It's official Sarah is running her Toy Drive! Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 8 11-29-2007 02:50 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
stubbon people
Bradcook21
02-16-2015 04:25 PM
Today 04:40 PM
by jrs.landscaping
37 1,185
rock salt
Bradcook21
02-24-2015 11:17 AM
Today 04:30 PM
by jrs.landscaping
21 430
My Newborn son
avetslawncare
Today 01:07 PM
Today 02:18 PM
by Steve
2 39
price for snow clearing?
Bradcook21
02-25-2015 09:11 PM
Today 02:10 PM
by Steve
4 150
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
Today 11:37 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
52 11,761
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 01:31 PM
Yesterday 03:43 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 1,705
viking cyclon.
uppercut
01-29-2015 09:12 PM
Yesterday 02:54 PM
by Steve
5 498
Ugliest lawn contest
Steve
02-23-2015 04:17 PM
Yesterday 02:51 PM
by Steve
2 265
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
Yesterday 01:06 AM
Yesterday 02:41 PM
by Steve
1 97
Another website update
Chilehead
Yesterday 11:24 AM
Yesterday 12:46 PM
by Just for Cuts
3 97
tips on creating a...
BLAZIER-1991
01-08-2015 07:22 PM
Yesterday 02:44 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 701
New Lawn Care Service...
rlclawncare123
Yesterday 12:49 AM
Yesterday 02:24 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
1 99
Finally!
SGL1
02-22-2015 09:46 PM
02-25-2015 10:15 PM
by SGL1
13 439
leaf removal.. mulching...
facework84
08-05-2011 03:26 PM
02-25-2015 08:07 PM
by Steve
5 2,780
How many customers?
SC93
02-25-2015 12:40 AM
02-25-2015 04:59 PM
by SC93
5 219
Irrigation...
charlieallen
02-24-2015 01:16 PM
02-25-2015 02:58 PM
by Steve
6 216
use a small business...
BLAZIER-1991
12-25-2014 12:21 AM
02-25-2015 12:46 AM
by SC93
33 2,784
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 01:41 AM
02-24-2015 08:32 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 474
honest opinion please
uppercut
02-17-2015 02:30 AM
02-24-2015 07:12 PM
by homey
10 637
2nd year advice anyone
Bradcook21
02-18-2015 07:00 PM
02-24-2015 05:15 PM
by Bradcook21
14 614
need help
lawnexpers115
02-23-2015 05:36 PM
02-24-2015 02:49 PM
by Steve
3 259
Hello People
nativikee
02-23-2015 07:17 PM
02-24-2015 02:43 PM
by Steve
4 259
New member
qua ke zik 001
02-23-2015 11:24 AM
02-23-2015 03:40 PM
by Steve
1 219
New Video
Sprinkler Buddy
02-22-2015 09:18 PM
02-23-2015 03:19 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 244
need help with SCAG...
apmAkron
02-23-2015 09:14 AM
02-23-2015 01:57 PM
by apmAkron
3 244
which degrees would be...
BLAZIER-1991
02-20-2015 04:46 PM
02-23-2015 01:47 PM
by Steve
9 407
Trouble logging in
avetslawncare
02-21-2015 02:06 PM
02-23-2015 01:44 PM
by Steve
1 457
John Deere Quik Track...
acrajchel
02-20-2015 03:12 PM
02-23-2015 01:40 PM
by Steve
1 274
Trimming and...
joshlawncare
02-15-2015 02:04 PM
02-22-2015 09:48 PM
by SGL1
5 608
where can i post this
zippy-phil
02-17-2015 07:58 PM
02-20-2015 02:02 PM
by Steve
7 493
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 11:41 AM
02-19-2015 04:43 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
29 2,631
Thumbs up or down?
lawnman1959
02-18-2015 11:40 AM
02-19-2015 01:22 PM
by Chilehead
3 405
Am I growing too fast?
Mattcrump
08-04-2011 11:54 PM
02-19-2015 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 5,199
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
02-19-2015 12:31 PM
by Steve
1,215 371,562
How to obtain more...
winkie61
02-17-2015 08:31 AM
02-19-2015 12:29 PM
by Steve
3 510
Mowing 2 acres
Bradcook21
01-05-2015 03:13 PM
02-19-2015 12:23 PM
by Steve
16 1,454
How to sell annual...
GroPro
02-17-2015 12:31 PM
02-18-2015 01:46 PM
by GroPro
5 500
FREE Custom Website...
breadcrumb
01-31-2015 10:58 PM
02-18-2015 01:32 PM
by Steve
5 1,094
Taking a step back
Billy Goat
02-16-2015 07:37 AM
02-18-2015 01:17 PM
by Chilehead
9 582
Employees
stevej
02-17-2015 05:25 PM
02-18-2015 12:47 PM
by Mr. Mow
1 399
Landscapers from hell!!
Chilehead
01-29-2015 03:55 PM
02-17-2015 07:48 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 1,002
Cannot access your Itune...
winkie61
02-17-2015 10:00 AM
02-17-2015 03:26 PM
by Steve
1 351
Advertising on internet...
Sprinkler Buddy
02-13-2015 01:22 PM
02-17-2015 01:00 PM
by Steve
9 660
new to this forum
NIP'N'TUK
02-14-2015 07:54 PM
02-16-2015 10:03 PM
by Steve
2 479
Advice on bidding 20...
sleepydunn
02-15-2015 07:38 PM
02-16-2015 09:59 PM
by Steve
4 594
New to me mower
xandrew245x
04-27-2014 08:02 PM
02-16-2015 09:48 PM
by Steve
8 1,388
mower blades
tlf59263
02-09-2015 12:36 PM
02-16-2015 05:16 PM
by Just for Cuts
8 809
Just Quit?
ringahding1
01-30-2015 06:23 AM
02-16-2015 02:16 PM
by joshlawncare
18 1,491
Advice on Bidding...
veteranlawnservice
02-08-2015 09:21 PM
02-16-2015 12:14 PM
by joshlawncare
18 1,202
Extending the life of...
rmccutchan
01-17-2015 12:37 AM
02-16-2015 09:51 AM
by rmccutchan
20 1,564
» Popular Tags
4wd ad landscaping aerocore apartment bid apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades bush collections deliquentaccounts design ditches employee problems equipment rental ferris first truck flyers foreman four wheel drive free advertising google gopherhaul growing a lawn care business hiring husqvarna introduction john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets mr dave mulch per hour service podcast pricing pto push versus ride running a business secrets to landscaping sell the vision seo shell small engine repair square foot starting a lawn care business steep lawns sulky theft toro grand stand trailer tree trimmer rack up sell employee walk behind web design website design winterization
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy