Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Graphic And Web Design Support Forums > Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions.

Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions. Need a lawn care business website built? Talk about search engine optimization. Or ask your lawn care and landscaping business web building related questions here. Show us your landscaping business web site for review.

Someone is stealing from me.


Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions.

Need a lawn care business website built? Talk about search engine optimization. Or ask your lawn care and landscaping business web building related questions here. Show us your landscaping business web site for review.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 AM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 6
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

You all are assuming the idea was taken.

1. you stated someone was copying your web site. Nothing is copied other than the name of the company.

2. Both sites are around the same age and the exact age is unable to be determined. So they went up around the same time.

3. It is entirely possible that 2 people came up with the same idea.

4. Why did you get the domain with an "s" instead of the singular? Was the singular gone or was that your intention?

You all are crucifying someone without all the facts. After I came up with the name for my company, I found others with a similar name and I had never seen them before. I am not defending this person at all because it does look like he took the name but then again you may not like it, there is nothing illegal about it.

Here are somethings you can do to prevent this.

1. Form a corporation. - This will prevent any other business from opening in your state with the same name or do business as with the same name. This does not prevent someone in another state from opening a business there in the other state with the same name.

2. File a Trademark - copyright isn't worth squat, you need a trademark. That is why you have coke and pepsi as the names are trademarked. With this you can shutdown anyone anywhere in the united states. Trademark needs to be federal.

3. buy up all the domains that are similar to you. .net .co .biz, plurals and singulars of your name to keep the web space yours. Otherwise it is fair game, that is unless you have the trademark.

4. Don't lose sleep over it and move on.
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 03-19-2011, 11:46 AM
TheGoat TheGoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 5
TheGoat is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaning Doctor View Post
You all are assuming the idea was taken.

1. you stated someone was copying your web site. Nothing is copied other than the name of the company.

2. Both sites are around the same age and the exact age is unable to be determined. So they went up around the same time.

3. It is entirely possible that 2 people came up with the same idea.

4. Why did you get the domain with an "s" instead of the singular? Was the singular gone or was that your intention?

You all are crucifying someone without all the facts. After I came up with the name for my company, I found others with a similar name and I had never seen them before. I am not defending this person at all because it does look like he took the name but then again you may not like it, there is nothing illegal about it.

Here are somethings you can do to prevent this.

1. Form a corporation. - This will prevent any other business from opening in your state with the same name or do business as with the same name. This does not prevent someone in another state from opening a business there in the other state with the same name.

2. File a Trademark - copyright isn't worth squat, you need a trademark. That is why you have coke and pepsi as the names are trademarked. With this you can shutdown anyone anywhere in the united states. Trademark needs to be federal.

3. buy up all the domains that are similar to you. .net .co .biz, plurals and singulars of your name to keep the web space yours. Otherwise it is fair game, that is unless you have the trademark.

4. Don't lose sleep over it and move on.

A whois domain search clearly shows my website registered in october while his was registered 9 days ago.

In the period prior to his domain registration, I have visits to my website from the area he is operating in.

my site: "With a variety of offerings, such as lawn mowing, hedge establishment, hedge trimming, dethatching, sod installation, tree pruning, overseeding and mulching, we're sure you'll be happy working with Hungry Goat Lawn Service. Look around our website, and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us.


His site: "With a variety of services to choose from, we're sure you'll be happy working with us. Look around our website and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us.

From where I sit, a single word change and some omissions are not enough to qualify as original content.

I know my business name was original.

I googled the name and derivations of it for weeks before, and constantly since, my site went live.

I realize there's probably not much I can do about it, but it is infuriating to have my creative work stolen.


Thieves are the lowest form of life on the planet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Dean Hipps Dean Hipps is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 5
Dean Hipps is on a distinguished road
Default

If someone had taken my name and formed it into their company. At first I would have been upset as well. But also remember that if he copied your name, that you have a good idea. I would honestly be flattered.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-19-2011, 03:14 PM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 6
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoat View Post
A whois domain search clearly shows my website registered in october while his was registered 9 days ago.

In the period prior to his domain registration, I have visits to my website from the area he is operating in.

my site: "With a variety of offerings, such as lawn mowing, hedge establishment, hedge trimming, dethatching, sod installation, tree pruning, overseeding and mulching, we're sure you'll be happy working with Hungry Goat Lawn Service. Look around our website, and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us.


His site: "With a variety of services to choose from, we're sure you'll be happy working with us. Look around our website and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us.

From where I sit, a single word change and some omissions are not enough to qualify as original content.

I know my business name was original.

I googled the name and derivations of it for weeks before, and constantly since, my site went live.

I realize there's probably not much I can do about it, but it is infuriating to have my creative work stolen.


Thieves are the lowest form of life on the planet.
So there is a paragraph with absolutely no relevant content what so ever.

Here is what I want you to do, you think that this is original content? Google those 2 sentences completely and see what you find. Did you copy it from them, you must have and just added the words. You will find SEVERAL sites with the exact wording that this person has on theirs. Don't rely on my word do a cut and paste into the Google search.

I started my search from the word "sure" and all the way to "contact us"

I found the exact wording on

dexknows.com
countertek.com
hotfrog.com
www.tanyasteele.vpweb.com
superpages.com
cakebliss.com.au

Every one of these sites had that EXACT same wording and some of them had both sentences in their entirety.

I understand you being angry but you don't even know this person. How do you know that they have not been in business since 1985 and are just now putting up a web site?

You can't direct your anger at this person without all the facts. Your energy is being wasted on that anger. Turn it to something more productive.

It is your own fault for not getting a trademark registered to protect your brand. I could go out tomorrow and register that name in all the other states and you could not do business there in that name. Yet if you were to register a trademark then you could force me to stop even though I registered a business name.

If he was to register a trademark, he could force you to stop. It is all about who registers first. Not knowing about this is no excuse with the courts. Just like when you tell the officer that you didn't know the speed limit.

The web is both good and bad. If it were not for the internet, you would not even know that this person existed.

I hope that you can see the point that I am making. I think it is suspicious also but all that I can see is the same name. Unless you plan on franchising, who really cares?
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
TheGoat TheGoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 5
TheGoat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaning Doctor View Post
So there is a paragraph with absolutely no relevant content what so ever.

Here is what I want you to do, you think that this is original content? Google those 2 sentences completely and see what you find. Did you copy it from them, you must have and just added the words. You will find SEVERAL sites with the exact wording that this person has on theirs. Don't rely on my word do a cut and paste into the Google search.

I started my search from the word "sure" and all the way to "contact us"

I found the exact wording on

dexknows.com
countertek.com
hotfrog.com
www.tanyasteele.vpweb.com
superpages.com
cakebliss.com.au

Every one of these sites had that EXACT same wording and some of them had both sentences in their entirety.

I understand you being angry but you don't even know this person. How do you know that they have not been in business since 1985 and are just now putting up a web site?

You can't direct your anger at this person without all the facts. Your energy is being wasted on that anger. Turn it to something more productive.

It is your own fault for not getting a trademark registered to protect your brand. I could go out tomorrow and register that name in all the other states and you could not do business there in that name. Yet if you were to register a trademark then you could force me to stop even though I registered a business name.

If he was to register a trademark, he could force you to stop. It is all about who registers first. Not knowing about this is no excuse with the courts. Just like when you tell the officer that you didn't know the speed limit.

The web is both good and bad. If it were not for the internet, you would not even know that this person existed.

I hope that you can see the point that I am making. I think it is suspicious also but all that I can see is the same name. Unless you plan on franchising, who really cares?

Point taken.

I filed for the servicemark last night, ($375!!!!)

As soon as that clears, this guy and vistaprint will be getting a C&D letter.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

As has been mentioned, if you're a sole proprietorship, another guy on the same street operating as a sole proprietorship can register the exact same name as you. (at least in PA)
I found that the only way to have an "exclusive" name (in this state) was if I were a "company". (LLC, S-Corp, etc)

When I created my name, I located two businesses with the same "first part" (Oak Leaf), but with different "endings" (Lawn Care/Service or Landscaping or Property Management). They were also sole proprietorships and since they were located on the other end of the state, and my exact name was not already taken by an LLC, I went with it. (assuming if I went the route of LLC in the future, I could keep my current name - provided another LLC didn't take it first)
My name is Oak Leaf Lawn Service.

THEN... just yesterday, I see a guy with a shirt that says "Oak Leaf Landscaping" and the phone number indicated he was relatively local. WTF?
Nothing at all comes up locally on the state listing of registered business names. All of the ones that are somewhat close to my name are several hundred miles from me, yet here's a guy looking like he's with an established company with nearly the same name as me through no fault of my own.

Hey. I'm not changing it. I did the research - the state approved it - it's registered - done.



As far as the name, and being in different states, I say unless you plan on going big with your operation - I mean REALLY big, it's no big deal.
As for the questionable website similarities, I'd be pissed too. I'm an artist and I get REALLY bothered when someone claims something I did as their own.

Hope he didn't steal your line about eating the flowers!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 AM
boog boog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 84
Rep Power: 5
boog is on a distinguished road
Default

my thought would be do a google search on hungry goats and see how many people have that name hell while your @ it look up J's lawn care there is about 200 company's with that name what makes me stand out from the other 199 company's with that name is that i own this 1 there isn't much you can do but have it copyrighted i tried that with my tattoo shops name it cost a fortune !!!!!!!!!!1 wont do it again
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 AM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 6
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boog View Post
there isn't much you can do but have it copyrighted i tried that with my tattoo shops name it cost a fortune !!!!!!!!!!1 wont do it again
Copyright will do absolutely no good. As a matter of fact you would probably be turned down.

For names and such, you need to use either the trademark or servicemark which ever one fits your situation the best. I like using legal zoom for deciding which on fits the situation
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM
jsslawncare jsslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 5
jsslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Why worry about it? He's in a different state. If he were in the same county, I'd worry. Worry about doing a good job, not him. A good friend of mine has the same visita print card. Cheesey.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM
TheGoat TheGoat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 5
TheGoat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Why worry about it? He's in a different state. If he were in the same county, I'd worry. Worry about doing a good job, not him. A good friend of mine has the same visita print card. Cheesey.
I worry about it because I don't want to just own a job, I want to own a business.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
I lost a long term...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-04-2011 02:24 PM
Today 02:00 PM
by Steve
8 3,261
Billing methods
jcurr33
Today 01:33 PM
Today 01:33 PM
by jcurr33
0 19
introducing myself
chris2500hd
03-24-2015 11:16 AM
Today 01:22 PM
by chris2500hd
7 141
Commercial Jobs
CurbAppeal1
Yesterday 04:22 PM
Today 12:44 PM
by Steve
4 101
Flag or no flag
Matther777
03-24-2015 02:41 PM
Today 12:36 PM
by Steve
8 249
Mower vs lot size advice
jcurr33
Yesterday 09:29 PM
Today 04:49 AM
by avetslawncare
2 76
Finally got a warehouse
avetslawncare
03-12-2015 07:52 PM
Yesterday 08:57 PM
by SGL1
9 424
Is this tree beyond help?
SGL1
03-22-2015 05:35 PM
Yesterday 08:55 PM
by SGL1
14 438
hoa bid need help
bigdaveha12
03-24-2015 08:29 PM
Yesterday 08:04 PM
by avetslawncare
4 136
Opinions on truck wrap
Trupro
02-28-2015 03:21 PM
Yesterday 07:54 PM
by Trupro
33 1,453
How do you get...
ESREVER
Yesterday 01:30 PM
Yesterday 07:20 PM
by avetslawncare
6 114
Bid for large home...
lxarth
03-22-2015 11:06 AM
Yesterday 03:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
7 228
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 07:15 PM
Yesterday 03:26 PM
by ESREVER
25 2,292
The New Wave!!!! Read...
Jamesw86
03-22-2015 08:33 PM
Yesterday 02:50 PM
by Steve
10 254
grass in the gas tank
robkattankate
03-23-2015 04:37 PM
Yesterday 02:36 PM
by Steve
5 138
Helping others
hansenslawncare
09-15-2011 08:50 PM
Yesterday 02:33 PM
by Steve
11 2,616
DOT Number
acrajchel
03-20-2015 05:56 PM
Yesterday 02:28 PM
by Steve
7 266
Michelin x tweel.
apmAkron
03-23-2015 04:22 PM
03-24-2015 12:40 PM
by Steve
3 92
Trepidation about...
michellemarvin
03-23-2015 07:46 PM
03-24-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
1 92
spike aerator???
Bradcook21
03-21-2015 01:55 PM
03-24-2015 10:32 AM
by acrajchel
4 158
Hello from Maryland
michellemarvin
03-23-2015 12:44 PM
03-23-2015 07:33 PM
by michellemarvin
2 96
hello from south GA.
CCandALawnCare
03-23-2015 03:46 AM
03-23-2015 07:06 PM
by CCandALawnCare
2 88
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
03-23-2015 06:14 PM
by jethro
1,218 379,799
Is anyone doing mosquito...
BWild
01-27-2015 11:30 AM
03-23-2015 12:28 PM
by Steve
9 793
35,000 Eddm
greenscaper123
03-18-2015 12:51 PM
03-23-2015 11:48 AM
by BLC7
18 432
Need some advice about...
Wolf4dk
03-22-2015 10:48 PM
03-22-2015 10:48 PM
by Wolf4dk
0 152
Should i take on this...
christw
03-17-2013 01:23 PM
03-22-2015 09:02 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
36 7,512
mower stalls when...
boog
03-19-2015 08:20 AM
03-21-2015 08:13 PM
by Wolf4dk
7 227
Weed and Feed
robkattankate
03-19-2015 09:00 PM
03-21-2015 01:53 PM
by Bradcook21
4 259
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
03-20-2015 10:00 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
32 3,557
Hello Emily Reyes from...
Webster14829
03-20-2015 11:23 AM
03-20-2015 03:36 PM
by Steve
2 148
Finally going to give it...
jcurr33
03-12-2015 08:09 PM
03-20-2015 03:31 PM
by Steve
10 501
Weed id?
SGL1
03-17-2015 08:20 PM
03-20-2015 02:37 PM
by Steve
6 238
Mobile small engine...
luckylogger
03-15-2015 02:05 PM
03-20-2015 06:17 AM
by jrs.landscaping
15 432
Brad Cook 21
SC93
03-16-2015 10:40 PM
03-19-2015 09:04 PM
by Bradcook21
4 314
honest opinion please
uppercut
02-17-2015 01:30 AM
03-18-2015 02:55 PM
by Steve
15 1,260
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
12-17-2014 04:07 PM
03-18-2015 02:49 PM
by Just for Cuts
21 1,982
new to the site
bigdaveha12
03-17-2015 09:13 PM
03-18-2015 02:33 PM
by Steve
1 172
Small dovetail truck...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-04-2015 06:47 PM
03-17-2015 10:14 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
17 818
New Site Hows it look
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 10:32 AM
03-17-2015 08:15 PM
by SGL1
3 231
mulch questions
Bradcook21
03-08-2015 08:37 AM
03-17-2015 07:00 PM
by Bradcook21
23 930
Scag hydro w/b frame...
Just for Cuts
03-11-2015 03:32 PM
03-17-2015 06:37 PM
by lxarth
11 455
Buy new or used?
lxarth
12-26-2014 09:50 PM
03-17-2015 06:11 PM
by lxarth
14 1,661
New to 2015
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 08:29 AM
03-17-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
4 256
Pulling trailer was...
SGL1
03-07-2015 07:14 PM
03-17-2015 08:11 AM
by SGL1
30 1,083
Diesel conversion?
Just for Cuts
03-02-2015 09:59 AM
03-16-2015 03:26 PM
by Just for Cuts
10 595
trimmer racks.
apmAkron
03-12-2015 09:07 AM
03-16-2015 03:17 PM
by Steve
4 322
Ferris FW35 questions
Chilehead
03-10-2015 08:31 PM
03-16-2015 03:11 PM
by Steve
4 316
new equipment
apmAkron
03-12-2015 09:12 AM
03-16-2015 03:07 PM
by Steve
7 336
When do you get the most...
CHEESE2009
09-14-2011 03:28 PM
03-16-2015 03:05 PM
by Steve
18 5,601
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying auger billy goat brushcutter bush commercial contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts demonstration design ditches door hangers employee problems equipment rental estimate facebook foreman google gravely growing a lawn care business how to husqvarna introduction jobs john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business seo lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing managing a lawn care business marketing marketing secrets mulch new mower patio install per hour service pricing pto secrets to landscaping seo shell shreaded snow plowing sq ft starting a lawn care business steep lawns theft toro toro grand stand tractor auger trailer trailer mate pro up sell employee web design website website design winterization wood wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy