Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??

Mower Trade in Value


Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Deathcat1 Deathcat1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 6
Deathcat1 is on a distinguished road
Default Mower Trade in Value

Hey Guys,

Thought I would come here due to the overwhelming amount of support you guys offer and advice; I have a quick question. I am looking to upgrade my mower this season, and currently have a 2007 (I believe) Exmark Viking. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the resale/trade in value. The mower was used commercially, and roughly has 400-500 hours on it, ECS, Hydro, 15 HP, very good condition. I'd love to keep it for a back up, but if I can get a decent amount out of it, I would roll that into a used Lazer. (Which I now need, due to business growing rapidly this last 2 years). I really don't have any small gated properties, so I don't think I'll need it if I have a 60.

Any suggestions what the mower could be worth, or any websites I can go to check? I tried on ebay, but it didn't seem to have many listings for a 48 right now. I would like to know what I can sell it for, before I negotiate at my local dealer, or before I put it up for sale.

Thanks guys!

Brian
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 5
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcat1 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thought I would come here due to the overwhelming amount of support you guys offer and advice; I have a quick question. I am looking to upgrade my mower this season, and currently have a 2007 (I believe) Exmark Viking. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the resale/trade in value. The mower was used commercially, and roughly has 400-500 hours on it, ECS, Hydro, 15 HP, very good condition. I'd love to keep it for a back up, but if I can get a decent amount out of it, I would roll that into a used Lazer. (Which I now need, due to business growing rapidly this last 2 years). I really don't have any small gated properties, so I don't think I'll need it if I have a 60.

Any suggestions what the mower could be worth, or any websites I can go to check? I tried on ebay, but it didn't seem to have many listings for a 48 right now. I would like to know what I can sell it for, before I negotiate at my local dealer, or before I put it up for sale.

Thanks guys!

Brian
Do you have any pictures to post. Really hard to tell the condition of a machine without seeing it. Every area is however going to be different on price.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 5
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

try asking your dealer, he would have an idea of its local value. Trade in's for mowers are not like cars. Most of the time we sit on them forever and for the most part break even on average after service and repair of the bad trades. Dealers take trades because we are expected to by customers. I am sure he will give you honest values and not try to push you into trading with him.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Deathcat1 Deathcat1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 6
Deathcat1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I do not have any current pictures of the mower, since it is in storage. I could always bring it out and take a photo, however here in Detroit Metro where I live, its about -5 degrees out, and I don't think that's something I'm interested in doing right now!

I will have to decide whether the dealers trade in is great, or if its a low offer, I will just have to sell it personally. I deal with a great local company in Farmington, and they've yet to steer me wrong, so I have faith in them. I understand where they are coming from too in a resale situation, but I do not want to end up selling a mower for a grand, when it could be worth 2, or even more.

Thanks for the feedback so far,

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 AM
nnyparts's Avatar
nnyparts nnyparts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern New York
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 4
nnyparts is on a distinguished road
Default Whats it worth?

Hey Brian,

Lawn mowers are very different than cars in that we don't have NADA or sites that display what a mower should be worth depending on its age, model, hours and condition.

We sell around 100 used riding mowers every year and my tendency is that if the mower is in excellent condition (we service and repair anything prior to the sale) with 400 hours and has been commercially used that it be priced around half of what one would cost the prospective buyer if they bought new.

What you need to do is come up with a price that you are comfortable with. What did it cost you when you bought it, did you put the 400 hours on it and how much per hour was it worth to you? I also assume you depreciated it on your taxes so that's worth a little and finally....whats a back-up mower worth to you.

In the event that the new one breaks down....that mower might be worth quite a bit to you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:32 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 5
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcat1 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I do not have any current pictures of the mower, since it is in storage. I could always bring it out and take a photo, however here in Detroit Metro where I live, its about -5 degrees out, and I don't think that's something I'm interested in doing right now!

I will have to decide whether the dealers trade in is great, or if its a low offer, I will just have to sell it personally. I deal with a great local company in Farmington, and they've yet to steer me wrong, so I have faith in them. I understand where they are coming from too in a resale situation, but I do not want to end up selling a mower for a grand, when it could be worth 2, or even more.

Thanks for the feedback so far,

Brian
Brian,

I am from Livonia, if you are interested in selling I am interested. I have been looking for a ZTR or stander for some of my big accounts, but a 48 walk behind would also work... Keep me in mind if you want to sell.

Jay
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Deathcat1 Deathcat1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 6
Deathcat1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyparts View Post
Hey Brian,

Lawn mowers are very different than cars in that we don't have NADA or sites that display what a mower should be worth depending on its age, model, hours and condition.

We sell around 100 used riding mowers every year and my tendency is that if the mower is in excellent condition (we service and repair anything prior to the sale) with 400 hours and has been commercially used that it be priced around half of what one would cost the prospective buyer if they bought new.

What you need to do is come up with a price that you are comfortable with. What did it cost you when you bought it, did you put the 400 hours on it and how much per hour was it worth to you? I also assume you depreciated it on your taxes so that's worth a little and finally....whats a back-up mower worth to you.

In the event that the new one breaks down....that mower might be worth quite a bit to you.
Nnyparts,

That is great information there. Thank you. I did buy the mower brand new for $5300. I have a brand new sulky unit (purchased late Sept last season) that I would be selling with it. I appreciate the perspective on downtime and having it as a back up too.

I don't know if every dealer does this, but the place where I get my equipment from, for a reasonable fee, has a "zero down time" policy, so if your mower does break, if they can't fix it with in an hour, they will give you a loaner until it is fixed. That has always been a great mental stress reliever for me in that area. One less thing I have to worry about!

I think a reasonable price range would be some where between 2-3 range, just from my observations so far. That is a hell of a deal for a mower that probably retails over $5500(?) now, especially since I believe the condition is pretty good. Image was always a big deal for me, being new (going into 4th season), people expect that professional look, so I always tried to keep my equipment clean.

PS. Jay, feel free to touch base with me anytime if you would like to talk more about the mower. I live right in the Novi/Wixom area. 248 787 1846.

Thanks again for the feedback! It's very appreciated.
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
wellbiz wellbiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 129
Rep Power: 5
wellbiz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcat1 View Post
Nnyparts,

PS. Jay, feel free to touch base with me anytime if you would like to talk more about the mower. I live right in the Novi/Wixom area. 248 787 1846.

Thanks again for the feedback! It's very appreciated.
Brian
Brian,

Great. I will give you a call.

Jay
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trade or not jeffery9076 Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 9 01-21-2010 05:52 PM
Trade Shows legendlawn General Talk 4 01-14-2010 11:54 AM
Trade Show? grasshopper fl Community Assistance 7 07-15-2009 11:03 AM
Working for trade Steve General Business Discussions 3 09-04-2007 06:33 PM
Trade in your mower - Get free mowing Steve General Business Discussions 0 04-04-2006 11:41 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
30 Inch Push Mowers Pros...
Billy Goat
06-27-2013 08:07 PM
Today 04:50 AM
by Billy Goat
25 6,421
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 08:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
122 8,544
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
Yesterday 08:02 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 577
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 09:07 PM
Yesterday 07:35 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 201
Hello from CNY
arazucontracting
Yesterday 06:07 PM
Yesterday 06:07 PM
by arazucontracting
0 64
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
Yesterday 04:52 PM
by Steve
4 224
Not sure, but anyone do...
SnowRemoval2k14
Yesterday 12:10 AM
Yesterday 04:49 PM
by Steve
1 169
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
Yesterday 04:45 PM
by Steve
9 638
Mulching beds
Bradcook21
09-21-2014 07:43 AM
Yesterday 04:43 PM
by Steve
3 249
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
Yesterday 04:36 PM
by Steve
3 636
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
Yesterday 04:35 PM
by Steve
12 998
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
09-21-2014 09:23 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 971
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-19-2014 03:29 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,181
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
09-19-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
23 1,571
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-17-2014 08:38 AM
09-19-2014 08:17 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 576
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
09-18-2014 06:32 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
58 6,980
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
09-18-2014 11:19 AM
09-18-2014 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 427
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
09-18-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 687
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-17-2014 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 1,079
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
09-17-2014 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 501
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
09-17-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 842
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
09-17-2014 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 627
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,363
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 5,071
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,275
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 954
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 537
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 640
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 555
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,283
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 1,043
Employee uniforms
Gerardo_Landscape
01-21-2014 11:11 PM
09-15-2014 02:12 PM
by Steve
5 1,162
Greetings from the north
Northwoods Outdoors
09-13-2014 08:55 AM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Steve
1 526
darleneh
darleneh
09-15-2014 12:33 PM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 540
My 1st bid
WesleySnips
06-11-2014 03:13 PM
09-15-2014 02:05 PM
by Steve
29 1,958
New Aerator
Chaz
09-09-2014 11:43 PM
09-15-2014 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 783
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
09-15-2014 01:23 PM
by stevef1201
8 1,450
getting ready to start
calebmoss
05-23-2011 09:35 PM
09-11-2014 12:21 PM
by Steve
34 11,441
Stihl pull cord replace
SGL1
09-03-2014 09:22 PM
09-10-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
9 953
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
09-10-2014 12:16 PM
by Steve
18 1,722
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
09-09-2014 08:05 PM
by Landscaper1165
4 1,210
New truck and trailer...
Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012 03:41 PM
09-09-2014 07:23 PM
by Matther777
18 6,773
What gets you bad press?
Steve
09-09-2014 11:48 AM
09-09-2014 07:21 PM
by Matther777
2 652
Signs on your snow plow?
Steve
01-15-2007 01:07 AM
09-09-2014 11:42 AM
by Steve
19 6,402
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
09-08-2014 08:08 PM
by avetslawncare
12 1,492
New to the business
flamingyouth87
09-05-2014 11:52 AM
09-08-2014 11:55 AM
by Steve
3 870
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
09-08-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
7 1,174
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 08:36 AM
09-07-2014 07:35 AM
by avetslawncare
24 7,945
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
09-06-2014 02:09 PM
by Bradcook21
8 1,264
billing matters
sbuchanan8154
09-05-2014 09:56 AM
09-05-2014 03:00 PM
by Steve
3 844
» Popular Tags
2wd apartment complex article marketing bid blades charge christmas lighting collections collections subcontractor commercial customers decorating ditches employee problems exmark ferris fundraiser georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes holiday lighting how much to charge installation kawasaki landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo leaf lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mow mulch new buisness past due podcast promotion pto redmax running a business savannah scag schedule seo small engine repair snow sprayer starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky theft of services top dresser toro trimmer rack truck new used landscape turfgrass consulting walk behind walker won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy