Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation
A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!

New Sod Fertilizer???


Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Paineless Creations's Avatar
Paineless Creations Paineless Creations is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Richland, WA
Posts: 205
Rep Power: 7
Paineless Creations is on a distinguished road
Default New Sod Fertilizer???

I just got a new customer that just had new sod put in there back yard in April. She hired my services to mow and said do anything you need to keep my new sod looking green. So the question I have for you folks is how long do you guys wait to apply Fertilzer or what ever.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 7
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default sod

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Usually the person installing the sod will fertilize the surface with regular fertilizer,lime or gypsum I recomend and so do most bags of dry fertilizer to apply every 3 months or 4 times a year if it was installed in april you should fertilize now also remember that the sod is fed every 2 weeks at the sod farm with lawn food there are all different types after it is cut it is lucky if it gets the fertilizer and water. Lawn food is expensive a quick way to green it up is lime or use house hold amonia in a jar feeder 2oz covers about 1200 sq ft.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
or use house hold amonia in a jar feeder 2oz covers about 1200 sq ft.
How long does that last for and is it safe for the lawn?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 7
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default amonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How long does that last for and is it safe for the lawn?
I would only use it one to two times a year first time around the 4th of july second before fall or late fall yes it does work it is more of a home remedy kind of like ag grow or mo green all of it is full of nitrogen unlike dry fertilizer you can burn the lawn if you leave it on to long without water I dont care if it says it wont burn a jar feeder you are already adding water and it isn't a time deal slowly over the course of three months. You can also help decompose thatch using beer with the same formula 2oz 1200 sq ft also around the 4th of July try a test spot first if your still suspect on your own lawn
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2010, 02:26 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How long does that last for and is it safe for the lawn?
From http://www.paghat.com/ammonia.html


A teaspoon to a tablespoon of ammonia per gallon of water won't kill the plants, & some people other than Jerry Baker do recommend it as a mild nitrogen fertilizer. However, anhydrous ammonia converts to nitrogen very slowly & ends up delivering very little nitrogen even in acidic soil. In alkaline soil it converts hardly at all. In either case it will likely wash through the soil from watering & rainfall before it has done much good in the nitrogen department. The least wash-through will occur in clayey soils that do not drain well, but the majority of gardened plants will not thrive in soil that doesn't drain.

If you have alkaline soils, there will be no nitrogen effect, so some have suggested adding twice as much vinegar as ammonia to that gallon of water, in order to acidify the soil while the dilute ammonia is poored around a plant. Tinkering randomly with pH is not necessarily a good thing for the plants, however, & it remains that rainfall & average watering will wash the ammonia out of the soil before it breaks down into nitrogen.

Additionally, surface evaporation of ammonia means it is just carried away on the wind. Dilute ammonia placed in the garden while the temperature is above about 50 degrees F. evaporates more swiftly than if applied on a cold day. Yet a warm day is essential if microorganism activity is to be at maximum. If the ammonia is applied on a cold day it does not stimulate the microorganisms which process the nitrogen, but if applied on a warm day it evaporates before it can be processed by plants or by microorganisms.


Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 AM
irvinjr irvinjr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ft. Myers,Fl.
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 6
irvinjr is on a distinguished road
Default Brown Spots Throughout the lawn

I'm curious to know how can i get the brown spots that i see throughout the lawn back green again with the rest of the lawn.I'm open for suggestions !
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Brown Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinjr View Post
I'm curious to know how can i get the brown spots that i see throughout the lawn back green again with the rest of the lawn.I'm open for suggestions !
Go here

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=12096

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 7
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
From http://www.paghat.com/ammonia.html


A teaspoon to a tablespoon of ammonia per gallon of water won't kill the plants, & some people other than Jerry Baker do recommend it as a mild nitrogen fertilizer. However, anhydrous ammonia converts to nitrogen very slowly & ends up delivering very little nitrogen even in acidic soil. In alkaline soil it converts hardly at all. In either case it will likely wash through the soil from watering & rainfall before it has done much good in the nitrogen department. The least wash-through will occur in clayey soils that do not drain well, but the majority of gardened plants will not thrive in soil that doesn't drain.

If you have alkaline soils, there will be no nitrogen effect, so some have suggested adding twice as much vinegar as ammonia to that gallon of water, in order to acidify the soil while the dilute ammonia is poored around a plant. Tinkering randomly with pH is not necessarily a good thing for the plants, however, & it remains that rainfall & average watering will wash the ammonia out of the soil before it breaks down into nitrogen.

Additionally, surface evaporation of ammonia means it is just carried away on the wind. Dilute ammonia placed in the garden while the temperature is above about 50 degrees F. evaporates more swiftly than if applied on a cold day. Yet a warm day is essential if microorganism activity is to be at maximum. If the ammonia is applied on a cold day it does not stimulate the microorganisms which process the nitrogen, but if applied on a warm day it evaporates before it can be processed by plants or by microorganisms.


Steve
good to know its only effective on clayey soils that it pretty much the case where I live but the time I would use it it's going to evaporate. would aerating help im suspect because every thing I have read and heard tells you not to fertilize 3 to 4 weeks before or after you aerate?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
good to know its only effective on clayey soils that it pretty much the case where I live but the time I would use it it's going to evaporate. would aerating help im suspect because every thing I have read and heard tells you not to fertilize 3 to 4 weeks before or after you aerate?
I use Aerify to aerate and mix it with Natures organic lawn fertilizer at the same time with no problems. I do not core aerate any more. It is not efficient and very messy.

I would not even consider using amonia!

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Utah Fertilizer Help! MKLawnCare Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 3 06-07-2010 05:57 PM
Fertilizer quote calvarylandscapegroup General Talk 3 04-12-2010 07:59 AM
Fertilizer? tomcat172002 General Talk 2 02-21-2010 09:16 AM
Fertilizer? ABurlison General Talk 12 11-30-2008 12:15 PM
top shelf fertilizer grassguy123 Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 1 09-27-2006 05:06 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Having an issue with...
Mr. Mow
04-27-2016 03:58 PM
04-28-2016 05:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 91
Hello From Virginia
JJand M Lawncare
04-25-2016 01:02 PM
04-27-2016 05:20 PM
by Steve
5 120
Hello from Calgary
Freshcut
04-22-2016 06:10 PM
04-25-2016 05:46 PM
by Freshcut
2 106
knowledge is Key
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-23-2016 02:23 AM
04-25-2016 02:40 PM
by Steve
2 111
Echo Bed Redefiner...
NPM_LLC
04-12-2016 10:54 AM
04-22-2016 06:15 PM
by Freshcut
4 305
Has anyone done a garden?
Brian3137
03-28-2016 10:42 AM
04-22-2016 04:42 PM
by biglee
13 9,739
What would you charge?
markty
04-18-2016 03:28 PM
04-22-2016 09:01 AM
by chris2500hd
6 266
Replaced Mower Engine
Sprinkler Buddy
04-15-2016 06:21 AM
04-19-2016 11:03 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
6 248
Hello from Oklahoma
Ron Hall
03-24-2016 06:59 PM
04-16-2016 03:51 AM
by Ron Hall
9 9,453
Laying down some stripes
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:55 PM
04-14-2016 11:55 PM
by Steve
3 321
Find out what business...
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:58 PM
04-13-2016 12:32 PM
by MATTNAPIER89
2 279
Hello my name is Matt
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:46 PM
04-13-2016 12:58 AM
by Steve
1 226
How to drop some...
nickeckes
04-11-2016 01:07 AM
04-12-2016 05:22 PM
by Steve
4 308
Trash Receptacle for a...
tannerduncan
04-12-2016 05:02 PM
04-12-2016 05:19 PM
by Steve
1 208
Small Project Lawn
tannerduncan
03-31-2016 08:21 PM
04-12-2016 05:16 PM
by Steve
7 9,337
Please Help! Bidding...
Dorali
02-15-2016 12:02 PM
04-06-2016 01:08 AM
by Steve
36 13,017
Hello
pbcleff
04-05-2016 07:45 PM
04-06-2016 12:35 AM
by Steve
1 399
Hello
llewelwa
03-18-2016 12:47 AM
04-05-2016 12:14 AM
by Steve
3 9,328
Poop and Scooping
llewelwa
04-01-2016 05:48 PM
04-05-2016 12:08 AM
by Steve
1 9,112
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
04-04-2016 05:33 PM
by WarriorLandscapingCAN
2 9,273
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy