Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Targeting a specific area


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Targeting a specific area

I went on a call for an estimate this morning in an area I have been trying to penetrate for a year now. It is in the Lakeview area, an upper middle class area. When I got to the job, the person who called and 3 of his neighbors were there waiting for me.

The person who made the appointment is a general practitioner at the Care South Medical Offices (a commercial contract I have). He liked the way I keep the complex organically and wanted to get rid of the service he now has.

I went to give one estimate and ended up giving 4. Singing 2, one starting next week and one for next spring.

What I found very interesting about the area, all lakefront properties, was that they heard that starting in 2010, all non-organic fertilizers, pesticides and week killers will be banned.

How can I target this area specifically? I will have my lawn signs displayed but I want to really target the community over the winter.

Any suggestions?

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 10-23-2009, 03:10 PM
majoe7 majoe7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 184
Rep Power: 8
majoe7 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
What I found very interesting about the area, all lakefront properties, was that they heard that starting in 2010, all non-organic fertilizers, pesticides and week killers will be banned.
How can I target this area specifically? I will have my lawn signs displayed but I want to really target the community over the winter.
Steve,

This may take some time but maybe you can take a drive through the neighborhood and take down all the address of the lakefront homes. Put together a nice detailed and informative Boucher to show the service's that you have been offering for the past year+, All Organic. You could either go door to door and have one on one meetings or have a nice medium size postcard made and mail it to all said address's. Mail it once now , then in about 2 months mail it again. The clients may remember the postcard the first time but the second time may get them thinking. This will get the clients thinking ahead of time and you can have your foot in the door. Have a post it attached to the cover letter saying something like this- Contact ______ to make an appointment to discuss my Organic Services.

Also contact the HOA about setting up a meeting with them to show what you can do for them on their common areas. Maybe they will allow you to speak at their monthly meeting about going Organic? If they allow you to speak have them put in the monthly flyer, bulletin or website the date you will be presenting your company info. Set up a display like you did at other demonstrations you presented. The only down fall to the HOA meeting is that hardly any home owners attend these due to the fact they think they are a waste of time.

Lastly use the clients you already have and give them referrals cards to hand out to their neighbors in the development. Maybe you can offer them a discount on the price they will be paying if they get you some referrals?

Just food for thought... Good luck buddy.

John

Last edited by majoe7; 10-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Any and all suggestions

I am considering a color brochure (I have a color laser printer) and mail it to the various addresses with a couple business cards in the envelope. I use magnetic business cards that tend to end up on the refrig. The problem is, I have tried direct mail before with very poor results. The mailings were not really targeted though.

I spent a little time this afternoon trying (without results) to find and contact HOA's. A new learning curve for me. Until now, I have just advertised broadly. Web site and newspaper. Targeting is new to me.

This winter, I will get professional vinyl signs for my 3 trucks and car. Now I am using magnetic signs that have weathered badly. I did order vinyl vehicle signs over the Internet that sounded great but didn't measure up. I didn't spend a lot and view the experience as a learning experience. I am also going to work on developing more professional lawn signs. Informative, but not gaudy.

Right now, I am at the "cuss and discus" stage looking for any and all suggestions.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 PM
majoe7 majoe7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 184
Rep Power: 8
majoe7 is on a distinguished road
Default

Steve,

I agree with you on Direct Mailing. It doesn’t really work unless you have the word FREE on your ad, coupon and placement. That is the only word that gets attention now of days. To target a certain area I still believe in referrals but I do tend to like going in the neighborhoods and see people one on one. I think Andy (Picframer) stated in some posts that he runs into folks with needs and starts small talk and that tends to lead into some type of job he or his company can offer. This has worked for me on several occasions. I did a spot mailing like I suggested and the results were amazing. I mailed to 10 houses on one short block that I thought needed my expertise and experience on lawn maintenance. I picked up 7 accounts out of the 10 and one wanting me to get back with them in the spring. They see me in the area every week and the job’s that I have done. They have said that they have always noticed the quality of work that I do, but didn’t think that I was taking on new accounts. The misunderstanding started from me stating to one past client that I couldn’t take on any more new accounts this season do to the fact that I had enough for this season. It was the client that took advantage of me and never paid me. Sometimes word spreads fast. So be careful.

If you want to contact HOA’s and you have clients in the area you are already working in then approach the client and explain to them what you are trying to do with your company and see if the can give you the HOA website address or Presidents name and possibly contact number. Also you can try to contact management companies that manage HOA and offer them a presentation of your company’s offerings.

John
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM
justin_time justin_time is offline
Justin
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: French River, ON, Canada
Age: 30
Posts: 1,801
Rep Power: 0
justin_time is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoe7 View Post
Steve,

I agree with you on Direct Mailing. It doesn’t really work unless you have the word FREE on your ad, coupon and placement. That is the only word that gets attention now of days. To target a certain area I still believe in referrals but I do tend to like going in the neighborhoods and see people one on one. I think Andy (Picframer) stated in some posts that he runs into folks with needs and starts small talk and that tends to lead into some type of job he or his company can offer. This has worked for me on several occasions. I did a spot mailing like I suggested and the results were amazing. I mailed to 10 houses on one short block that I thought needed my expertise and experience on lawn maintenance. I picked up 7 accounts out of the 10 and one wanting me to get back with them in the spring. They see me in the area every week and the job’s that I have done. They have said that they have always noticed the quality of work that I do, but didn’t think that I was taking on new accounts. The misunderstanding started from me stating to one past client that I couldn’t take on any more new accounts this season do to the fact that I had enough for this season. It was the client that took advantage of me and never paid me. Sometimes word spreads fast. So be careful.

If you want to contact HOA’s and you have clients in the area you are already working in then approach the client and explain to them what you are trying to do with your company and see if the can give you the HOA website address or Presidents name and possibly contact number. Also you can try to contact management companies that manage HOA and offer them a presentation of your company’s offerings.

John
My area is too small, there is no such thing as direct mailing

So I basically just have to go with sending everybody a flyer and hope for the best
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

What if you got some small lawn signs sorta like this one. Have it say 'Save The Lake! My lawn is 100% organic.' Maybe put a smiley face below it and then your company name and phone number. Insert them in the lawns you service and have it so others walking by will see it and want to make their lawn organic too.

If you wrap your sales message around a community movement, you could potentially ride along with the momentum of it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg organic-lawn-sign.jpg (49.0 KB, 17 views)
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What if you got some small lawn signs sorta like this one. Have it say 'Save The Lake! My lawn is 100% organic.' Maybe put a smiley face below it and then your company name and phone number. Insert them in the lawns you service and have it so others walking by will see it and want to make their lawn organic too.

If you wrap your sales message around a community movement, you could potentially ride along with the momentum of it.

I came up with this last night. Comments?

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lawn Sign.doc (35.5 KB, 4 views)
__________________



Last edited by swstout; 10-24-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

I think that is good. I bet it wouldn't take much once you start getting the word out to get people to sign up for your services.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You Just Don"t Get It Guys: Geo-targeting Testimonial Green_Day Promote your products or services 15 02-15-2009 05:18 PM
Refusing to work for specific customers Steve Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 2 01-26-2007 01:24 PM
Setting customer specific prices. Steve Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 0 05-08-2006 04:17 PM
Targeting Seniors tiedeman General Business Discussions 18 04-04-2006 11:50 PM
Using Customer Specific Prices Gopher Tech Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 0 03-20-2006 06:20 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Having an issue with...
Mr. Mow
04-27-2016 03:58 PM
Yesterday 05:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 60
Hello From Virginia
JJand M Lawncare
04-25-2016 01:02 PM
04-27-2016 05:20 PM
by Steve
5 95
Hello from Calgary
Freshcut
04-22-2016 06:10 PM
04-25-2016 05:46 PM
by Freshcut
2 91
knowledge is Key
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-23-2016 02:23 AM
04-25-2016 02:40 PM
by Steve
2 93
Echo Bed Redefiner...
NPM_LLC
04-12-2016 10:54 AM
04-22-2016 06:15 PM
by Freshcut
4 289
Has anyone done a garden?
Brian3137
03-28-2016 10:42 AM
04-22-2016 04:42 PM
by biglee
13 9,705
What would you charge?
markty
04-18-2016 03:28 PM
04-22-2016 09:01 AM
by chris2500hd
6 232
Replaced Mower Engine
Sprinkler Buddy
04-15-2016 06:21 AM
04-19-2016 11:03 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
6 230
Hello from Oklahoma
Ron Hall
03-24-2016 06:59 PM
04-16-2016 03:51 AM
by Ron Hall
9 9,431
Laying down some stripes
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:55 PM
04-14-2016 11:55 PM
by Steve
3 306
Find out what business...
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:58 PM
04-13-2016 12:32 PM
by MATTNAPIER89
2 263
Hello my name is Matt
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:46 PM
04-13-2016 12:58 AM
by Steve
1 213
How to drop some...
nickeckes
04-11-2016 01:07 AM
04-12-2016 05:22 PM
by Steve
4 294
Trash Receptacle for a...
tannerduncan
04-12-2016 05:02 PM
04-12-2016 05:19 PM
by Steve
1 194
Small Project Lawn
tannerduncan
03-31-2016 08:21 PM
04-12-2016 05:16 PM
by Steve
7 9,320
Please Help! Bidding...
Dorali
02-15-2016 12:02 PM
04-06-2016 01:08 AM
by Steve
36 12,955
Hello
pbcleff
04-05-2016 07:45 PM
04-06-2016 12:35 AM
by Steve
1 386
Hello
llewelwa
03-18-2016 12:47 AM
04-05-2016 12:14 AM
by Steve
3 9,303
Poop and Scooping
llewelwa
04-01-2016 05:48 PM
04-05-2016 12:08 AM
by Steve
1 9,093
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
04-04-2016 05:33 PM
by WarriorLandscapingCAN
2 9,263
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy