Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Just Mowing?


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 AM
ritchiem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have known a lot of people in the industry that started out just the way you are. Then they develop a passion and grow from there. Everyone needs to start somewhere, however, you do need to be careful on a liability standpoint.

Don't get hurt or break anything!!!

If you had enough lawns to mow would you consider making it full time? Would you then perhaps develop a knack for the details? What type of info do you hope to pull away from this thread? What I am trying to say is, if you are showing interest in our industry and are looking to grow within it, we will all help you achieve that goal. But if you just want to know if you can make a couple of bucks on the side by giving non showcase quality work then you might have a problem getting support.

Good luck to you sir.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
mhoward92 mhoward92 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 65
Rep Power: 7
mhoward92 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchiem View Post
I have known a lot of people in the industry that started out just the way you are. Then they develop a passion and grow from there. Everyone needs to start somewhere, however, you do need to be careful on a liability standpoint.

Don't get hurt or break anything!!!

If you had enough lawns to mow would you consider making it full time? Would you then perhaps develop a knack for the details? What type of info do you hope to pull away from this thread? What I am trying to say is, if you are showing interest in our industry and are looking to grow within it, we will all help you achieve that goal. But if you just want to know if you can make a couple of bucks on the side by giving non showcase quality work then you might have a problem getting support.

Good luck to you sir.

Cheers,
i second every word of that. very good way to put it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 PM
chehalemmower chehalemmower is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 7
chehalemmower is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Gopher View Post
Hi,

Welcome to our forum!



How do you like offering small engine repair services? Do you service the mowers at the customers property or do they bring them to you? How do you promote this service?
Small engine repair is my passion but I really enjoy mowing my lawn. I would like to do small engine repair or lawn maintanence full time as long as it provided enough money to support my family. My day job pays pretty good for around here but there is no way I would risk my family by dropping what I currently do to try something. The last thing I want to do is lose my house over an adventure!

As for small engine repair, I advertise solely on craigslist and word of mouth. I work on equipment mostly at my house but I have done a few house calls for an additional fee. I've had many referrals via word of mouth and that feels great to know someone is happy with the kind of work you do. I plan on advertising to some local landscape/lawn maintanence companies for quick service. My prices are quite a bit less than the OPE dealers because I have little overhead at this point. I'm sure they don't like it but if I can do the same service, with the same quality, do it faster and for less money that's the kind of service people are looking for. I'm not going to try to sell them on some other product (because I have none to sell) and I offer unbiased advice about all of the brands of equipment since I don't sell a particular brand. Ironically I send many of my customers to my local OPE dealer to buy equipment I feel is top quality. Not too many people sending customers to the competition.
Now I may not have the parts in stock all of the time but I can get them just as fast as the OPE dealers. Most equipment is serviced within 24hours unless parts are needed and then that may take up to a week to get in. Try that with an OPE dealer that's 3 weeks out. Can you guys really afford to have your equipment down for 3 weeks?
That's my philosophy on business. So if you're in the Portland, OR area and want great service, quickly, and at a fair price, look me up.

Troy
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM
SC93
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Well from my perspective, I'm that neighborhood kid, with my own mower. I don't go around advertising that I only mow lawns, I do this on the weekends and some evenings in the summer. This is by far not my full time career as most of you are doing. I'm not going for the professional look although I do have some common sense customer service skills. The only place I advertise is on craigslist and I get a few customers from past customers but my customers are not calling me because they want a manicured lawn, they are the ones with all weeds that just want them knocked down once a month or so, some a little more often. They don't have the money nor do they care about their lawn enough to pay high dollar for such a service. Hell they don't even water it because it cost too much. I fill a particular niche in the market that you refuse to service and I make a little pocket change in return for my time. I don't care how you look at it, $25 for a half hour worth of work ain't bad."


As with almost anyone out there in almost any kind of business looking for GOOD clients CRAIGSLIST is NOT where you look for GOOD clients.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,246
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Small engine repair is my passion but I really enjoy mowing my lawn. I would like to do small engine repair or lawn maintanence full time as long as it provided enough money to support my family. My day job pays pretty good for around here but there is no way I would risk my family by dropping what I currently do to try something. The last thing I want to do is lose my house over an adventure!

As for small engine repair, I advertise solely on craigslist and word of mouth. I work on equipment mostly at my house but I have done a few house calls for an additional fee. I've had many referrals via word of mouth and that feels great to know someone is happy with the kind of work you do. I plan on advertising to some local landscape/lawn maintanence companies for quick service. My prices are quite a bit less than the OPE dealers because I have little overhead at this point. I'm sure they don't like it but if I can do the same service, with the same quality, do it faster and for less money that's the kind of service people are looking for. I'm not going to try to sell them on some other product (because I have none to sell) and I offer unbiased advice about all of the brands of equipment since I don't sell a particular brand. Ironically I send many of my customers to my local OPE dealer to buy equipment I feel is top quality. Not too many people sending customers to the competition.
Now I may not have the parts in stock all of the time but I can get them just as fast as the OPE dealers. Most equipment is serviced within 24hours unless parts are needed and then that may take up to a week to get in. Try that with an OPE dealer that's 3 weeks out. Can you guys really afford to have your equipment down for 3 weeks?
That's my philosophy on business. So if you're in the Portland, OR area and want great service, quickly, and at a fair price, look me up.
Great concept! Have you considered offering a loaner mower as an additional option when you are working on their mower? That might be a way to generate more income.
Quote:
"Well from my perspective, I'm that neighborhood kid, with my own mower. I don't go around advertising that I only mow lawns, I do this on the weekends and some evenings in the summer. This is by far not my full time career as most of you are doing. I'm not going for the professional look although I do have some common sense customer service skills. The only place I advertise is on craigslist and I get a few customers from past customers but my customers are not calling me because they want a manicured lawn, they are the ones with all weeds that just want them knocked down once a month or so, some a little more often. They don't have the money nor do they care about their lawn enough to pay high dollar for such a service. Hell they don't even water it because it cost too much. I fill a particular niche in the market that you refuse to service and I make a little pocket change in return for my time. I don't care how you look at it, $25 for a half hour worth of work ain't bad."


As with almost anyone out there in almost any kind of business looking for GOOD clients CRAIGSLIST is NOT where you look for GOOD clients.
Do you for see yourself in the future scaling up your operation or are you happy with what it is now?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 AM
chehalemmower chehalemmower is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 7
chehalemmower is on a distinguished road
Default

yeah I do offer a loaner mower to any customer. Not the best mower but it is self propelled with a bag. My offer has only been used a couple times. Most people bring their mower to me on like a friday and I usually have it done for them to pick up by sat. afternoon. I offer this service to any customer, not just my LCO customers.

I would love to see my operation grow. This winter I'm starting a small marketing campaign to get some LCO accounts. With a minimal advertising budget I can't place an ad in ALL of the local papers but I will try a few for 3 months each and track their results. Thanks for asking!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,246
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I would love to see my operation grow. This winter I'm starting a small marketing campaign to get some LCO accounts. With a minimal advertising budget I can't place an ad in ALL of the local papers but I will try a few for 3 months each and track their results. Thanks for asking!
Who would you say your main customer base is? Home owners or lawn care business owners? Who are you trying to reach mainly with this marketing campaign?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-25-2008, 07:04 PM
chehalemmower chehalemmower is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 7
chehalemmower is on a distinguished road
Default

My main customer base right now is homeowners but I would like to see more commercial customers and get them onto a regular maintanence plan. I'm basically trying to get as many people through my service as I can because I know once they have used my services, they will come back AND they will refer more customers. I prefer referrals because they are better customers as most of you know. If LCO's realized how beneficial a good mechanic can be rather than taking their equipment to a large OPE dealer, I think they would appreciate how quickly they can get their equipment back in service. With the small size of my business, I"m able to drop what I'm doing to help my preferred customers. I always make my LCO's a priority because I know their equipment pays the bills, whereas a homeowner may be experiencing an inconvenience. Either way, I try to have all of my equipment returned within 5 days. Try going to your local OPE dealer and getting that kind of service.

Just my rant. Give me your feedback!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,246
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

One of the things I wonder about is this. As a selling point to lawn care business owners, do they need to have their lawn care equipment serviced by the dealership in order to retain their warranty or can anyone perform the service?

I would think this could be an issue.

Does anyone know?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM
chehalemmower chehalemmower is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 7
chehalemmower is on a distinguished road
Default

A lawn care company does need to be concerned about the warranties that come with their equipment. The repair costs can be quite substantial. The key thing for a LCO to do is become very familiar with what exactly your warranty covers. Warranties vary greatly by brand of equipment. Know what your warranty covers and the duration of the warranty. Make sure you have a local dealer that does warranty work on your brand of equipment. For instance if you live in Oregon like myself and you wanted to purchase a Bad Boy mower, there is nobody within 1000 miles that can do service work on it under warranty.

Most warranties only last for a few years or a limited number of hours. Once your past that time, it's up to you to foot the bill. That is where I fit in. I offer small engine repair and service for folks that have gone past their warranty but still want to keep their equipment. How many LCO's out there have a Honda commercial walk behind that is over 10 years old?? Probably quite a few since honda makes a great product. They still need it serviced like they did before but do they really need to pay dealership prices to have the same work performed?

If I (not factory certified) perform any work on your machine during it's warranty period, your warranty will become void. So if your concerned about your warranty, definitely take it to a dealer for warranty work but think of saving your company some money when your warranty expires!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mowing Job weber126 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 2 07-17-2008 09:28 PM
Mowing Mears Mowing Introduce Yourself 9 04-12-2008 11:51 PM
mowing myrlin General Talk 12 07-19-2007 06:24 PM
Mowing pnplawn Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 3 04-11-2007 02:15 PM
Mowing HeightsThe following are recommended mowing ritchiem Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 1 12-07-2006 08:29 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Newb Question - Multiple...
DependiLawn
Yesterday 11:36 PM
Yesterday 11:36 PM
by DependiLawn
0 17
New company in Michigan
SEM
Yesterday 09:27 PM
Yesterday 09:27 PM
by SEM
0 18
maintandlawndispatch...
SGL1
04-21-2015 03:31 PM
Yesterday 04:42 PM
by Steve
9 199
Lawn Care Service in...
Friscobob
Yesterday 03:33 PM
Yesterday 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 38
Big (to me) mulch job
tl757
04-23-2015 05:32 PM
Yesterday 04:39 PM
by Steve
4 106
Total yard rehab
SGL1
04-23-2015 03:59 PM
Yesterday 04:39 PM
by Steve
3 84
Thoughts on Undocumented...
element009
09-25-2011 11:08 AM
04-23-2015 09:32 PM
by Chilehead
56 15,486
Hello Everyone
DesignsByBnC
04-22-2015 04:07 PM
04-23-2015 02:19 PM
by DesignsByBnC
2 77
The upcoming rainy...
5StarLawnscaping
04-21-2015 01:22 PM
04-23-2015 12:54 PM
by Steve
7 176
color fliers?
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:32 PM
04-23-2015 12:50 PM
by Steve
12 336
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 12:41 AM
04-22-2015 07:04 PM
by Just for Cuts
59 2,504
WARNING! Especially to...
SC93
04-19-2015 12:05 PM
04-22-2015 01:39 PM
by Steve
14 401
Could be great news for...
SC93
04-14-2015 11:06 PM
04-22-2015 01:28 PM
by Steve
15 492
quick pic
joshlawncare
04-14-2015 07:49 PM
04-21-2015 05:01 PM
by joshlawncare
4 321
Got Inspected today
swstout
08-09-2010 10:31 PM
04-21-2015 03:53 PM
by SGL1
10 3,976
Smoked my first belt!
SGL1
04-20-2015 08:46 PM
04-21-2015 03:28 PM
by SGL1
4 148
Pictures of commercial...
avetslawncare
04-01-2015 09:47 PM
04-21-2015 12:47 PM
by Steve
25 996
lawn care business...
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:56 PM
04-21-2015 06:18 AM
by holymoly
3 239
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
04-21-2015 03:18 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
57 5,226
landscape insurance
clarkslawn
03-30-2015 10:14 PM
04-20-2015 10:02 PM
by SGL1
4 459
Poll & Discussion...
CHEESE2009
09-16-2011 06:16 PM
04-20-2015 08:20 PM
by avetslawncare
27 5,658
weed
avetslawncare
04-16-2015 07:56 PM
04-20-2015 01:08 PM
by Steve
4 248
Aerating / Dethaching...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
04-12-2015 07:53 PM
04-19-2015 08:49 PM
by Chilehead
17 589
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
04-19-2015 09:21 AM
by KJ90
8 995
bidding a cemetery....
NPM_LLC
03-28-2015 10:56 AM
04-19-2015 05:26 AM
by RSE
22 1,001
Hustler Raptor
SGL1
04-13-2015 09:27 PM
04-18-2015 07:53 AM
by SGL1
15 506
is craiglist good to...
JBENI
04-16-2015 11:11 AM
04-17-2015 10:25 PM
by Wolf4dk
11 404
Am I missing something...
googus
04-11-2015 06:33 PM
04-17-2015 08:01 PM
by avetslawncare
10 527
Hello
sonny54
04-16-2015 09:49 PM
04-17-2015 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 193
Unreal
Chilehead
04-09-2015 09:12 PM
04-17-2015 08:27 AM
by Chilehead
11 559
starting a lawn care...
JBENI
04-14-2015 09:03 AM
04-17-2015 08:03 AM
by JBENI
14 534
Finally got a warehouse
avetslawncare
03-12-2015 07:52 PM
04-16-2015 07:52 PM
by avetslawncare
23 1,359
New 14 x 7 Enclosed...
whitepropertydetail
04-15-2015 06:46 PM
04-16-2015 03:40 PM
by Steve
1 245
older used dump trucks
SECTLANDSCAPING
09-22-2011 12:33 AM
04-16-2015 12:41 PM
by biglee
21 8,044
Tax Poll
Steve
04-15-2015 02:13 PM
04-15-2015 02:13 PM
by Steve
0 234
lawn care by Aj
aj10261984
04-14-2015 06:50 PM
04-15-2015 01:43 PM
by Steve
2 262
Contact last years...
googus
01-28-2015 08:13 AM
04-15-2015 12:54 PM
by SC93
7 1,264
trying to sign up for...
JBENI
04-14-2015 10:20 AM
04-14-2015 12:11 PM
by Steve
1 719
Charging customers for...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
04-14-2015 07:34 AM
04-14-2015 10:35 AM
by Steve
1 296
New member
Jdlandscaping,LLC
04-11-2015 03:24 PM
04-14-2015 05:45 AM
by Jdlandscaping,LLC
2 325
hello
oasis_greenscapes
04-01-2015 06:18 PM
04-13-2015 12:03 PM
by Steve
8 563
New Member
Greenturion
04-11-2015 02:00 PM
04-13-2015 11:59 AM
by Steve
1 285
Client with...
OldSalt
04-07-2015 09:47 PM
04-13-2015 11:57 AM
by Steve
8 513
Getting rid of "mulched...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 04:21 PM
04-13-2015 11:26 AM
by biglee
3 325
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
04-13-2015 11:11 AM
by biglee
7 436
Billing methods
jcurr33
03-26-2015 01:33 PM
04-13-2015 11:07 AM
by biglee
15 943
Landscape Fabric
CurbAppeal1
04-10-2015 03:58 PM
04-13-2015 08:02 AM
by Chilehead
4 366
I lost a long term...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-04-2011 02:24 PM
04-12-2015 04:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
17 4,006
Snow removal contracts
CDLAWNCARE
03-31-2015 02:57 PM
04-10-2015 11:37 AM
by kslawn
6 589
Do you have medical...
Steve
09-10-2011 11:46 AM
04-10-2015 11:28 AM
by Steve
17 5,300
» Popular Tags
aerocore apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades bush collections deliquentaccounts design edging employee problems equipment rental ferris flyers foreman free advertising grass growing a lawn care business hills hiring husqvarna john deere quik trac landscape landscape services landscaping training lawn lawn care lawn care business seo lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets more customers business mr dave mulch new business past due per hour charge per hour service pricing profit on employee pto push versus ride running a business scripts secrets to landscaping sell the vision seo shell small engine repair square foot steep lawns sulky theft toro grand stand trailer tree trimmer rack truck new used landscape up sell employee web design website website design winterization won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy