Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review!

Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! Lawn Care Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Discussion.

Matt's magazine ad


Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review!

Lawn Care Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Discussion.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If you talk to them in the future and you find they have a website. I'd love to see it.

Also you mentioned to me that they offer other marketing services "such as pens, direct mailing postcards, business cards, and more."

Have you thought about any of those ideas and what might you experiment with?

Yeah i have thought about those ideas. I want to get stuff made that people would use everyday, and that they have to use it for a reason.

I like to brand the business name when i am able to

Steve-
If they dont have a website for the book, if you would like i can send you a book, so you can get a better idea about it, just pm me about it sometime
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
LawncareMarketingMagic LawncareMarketingMagic is offline
Lawn Care Business Consultant
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Age: 39
Posts: 132
Rep Power: 0
LawncareMarketingMagic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Well, I hate to be the bad guy here, but I see quite a few things that could be improved with this ad.

Before I get to those though, Matt, great job on simply working out the trade. It's amazing how many opportunities there are like this available if you just talk to people, ask the right questions, and offer the right combination of services, products, etc.

Okay, now on to the ad itself. While I know it's what everyone would expect to see in a magazine, that in itself is part of the problem. Most of today's marketing is ineffective. I'm working on some information that will explain what I mean in greater detail, but in the meantime, here are the critical elements that should be included in EVERY piece of marketing you send out:
  1. A benefit laden, attention grabbing headline

    You have less than 2 seconds to grab your prospects attention and unfortunately, your company name isn't enough. It's got to be something that promised some type of benefit or a solution to a problem they're having.

  2. Talk benefits, benefits, benefits

    Simply listing the services you offer doesn't really tell them how they'll benefit by hiring you. You've got to paint a picture for them and help them visualize how their life will be easier because of your service.

  3. Present some kind of valuable offer

    People are natural procrastinators and unless you give them a reason to act, they won't. Yes, the 'Free Estimates' is an offer but everyone expects that these days so there's really nothing that makes people stop and think, "DANG, I've got to have that!"

    Present them with an offer that will get them up off of the couch RIGHT NOW.

  4. Create urgency that motivates them to action

    Again, people are procrastinators and unless you give them a reason to respond right now, they won't. Doing things like limiting the number of packages available or attaching a deadline to an offer are good ways to create some urgency.

  5. Use 3rd party proof

    You did a GREAT JOB with this one by including the 'Before & After' photos. Testimonials are another great way to use 3rd party proof in your marketing.

  6. Present some kind of risk reversal

    People nowadays are skeptical and afraid of being taken for a ride so by including some type of risk reversal you make it easier for them to respond. Saying things like 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' or throwing in bonuses or premiums help your prospects feel safe when buying from you.

  7. Include a powerful call to action

    Unfortunately, you can't assume people know what they need to do, you've got to tell them in very specific terms. 'Pick up the phone and call us today' or 'Log onto our website at...' are good examples.

Again, it's not my intent to be the bad guy it's just that everybody's marketing could be 100x's more effective if you keep these principles in mind.

I can't make any promises, but I may consider redoing this add for Matt and for everyone to see how I'd incorporate each of these elements into an ad that I'd want to run.
__________________
Chestin
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,386
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I can't make any promises, but I may consider redoing this add for Matt and for everyone to see how I'd incorporate each of these elements into an ad that I'd want to run.
I know I'd love to see it!
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawncareMarketingMagic View Post
Well, I hate to be the bad guy here, but I see quite a few things that could be improved with this ad.

Before I get to those though, Matt, great job on simply working out the trade. It's amazing how many opportunities there are like this available if you just talk to people, ask the right questions, and offer the right combination of services, products, etc.

Okay, now on to the ad itself. While I know it's what everyone would expect to see in a magazine, that in itself is part of the problem. Most of today's marketing is ineffective. I'm working on some information that will explain what I mean in greater detail, but in the meantime, here are the critical elements that should be included in EVERY piece of marketing you send out:
  1. A benefit laden, attention grabbing headline

    You have less than 2 seconds to grab your prospects attention and unfortunately, your company name isn't enough. It's got to be something that promised some type of benefit or a solution to a problem they're having.

  2. Talk benefits, benefits, benefits

    Simply listing the services you offer doesn't really tell them how they'll benefit by hiring you. You've got to paint a picture for them and help them visualize how their life will be easier because of your service.

  3. Present some kind of valuable offer

    People are natural procrastinators and unless you give them a reason to act, they won't. Yes, the 'Free Estimates' is an offer but everyone expects that these days so there's really nothing that makes people stop and think, "DANG, I've got to have that!"

    Present them with an offer that will get them up off of the couch RIGHT NOW.

  4. Create urgency that motivates them to action

    Again, people are procrastinators and unless you give them a reason to respond right now, they won't. Doing things like limiting the number of packages available or attaching a deadline to an offer are good ways to create some urgency.

  5. Use 3rd party proof

    You did a GREAT JOB with this one by including the 'Before & After' photos. Testimonials are another great way to use 3rd party proof in your marketing.

  6. Present some kind of risk reversal

    People nowadays are skeptical and afraid of being taken for a ride so by including some type of risk reversal you make it easier for them to respond. Saying things like 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' or throwing in bonuses or premiums help your prospects feel safe when buying from you.

  7. Include a powerful call to action

    Unfortunately, you can't assume people know what they need to do, you've got to tell them in very specific terms. 'Pick up the phone and call us today' or 'Log onto our website at...' are good examples.

Again, it's not my intent to be the bad guy it's just that everybody's marketing could be 100x's more effective if you keep these principles in mind.

I can't make any promises, but I may consider redoing this add for Matt and for everyone to see how I'd incorporate each of these elements into an ad that I'd want to run.

Its's already in the magazine, it was a trade so i didnt loose anything, the magazine renews every 4 months

i know where you are coming from, i told her about that, she thought it would be a good idea but she and i wanted it simply, short, and not busy. Not to much more could fit. She did mention the 2-5 sec rule of it catching someones eye.

I told her to put floresent colors so it can stand out

I do have a ''mention this ad and get a 5% discount''(yearly services)

Most of the services i have in there needed to be in there

Its a half page ad

I told Steve once it on shelves by front door of entrances such as Winn-Dixies and more and all in my town, i would send him one

Last edited by landonkade; 10-14-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-16-2008, 01:14 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

i was going to ask if i can get some reviews on my local business center ad, pretend you are a customer of mine telling how great the services was and such. If it will work

Here is the link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8...mid=1224180880

Last edited by landonkade; 10-16-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,386
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

I tried it again and it gave me the same error. Maybe someone else can try it and see if it happens to them as well.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I tried it again and it gave me the same error. Maybe someone else can try it and see if it happens to them as well.

Yeah i dont know whats wrong with it,lol. It should take a review,umm
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,386
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Have you tried to enter one as a test?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

i was going to ask if i can get some reviews on my ad, pretend you are a customer of mine telling how great the services was and such. If it will work. Remember to put dothan, al for the city

Here is the link:

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...g.334-618-1916

Also the magazine ad comes out anyday now, just waiting,lol

Last edited by landonkade; 10-18-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,386
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

I just added one.

I hope it helps!
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New green industry business magazine? Steve General Business Discussions 0 12-01-2006 11:14 AM
Trade Magazine tiedeman Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 13 11-24-2006 08:57 AM
Lawn & Landscape Magazine tiedeman General Business Discussions 5 05-15-2006 11:57 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
Today 03:09 PM
Today 03:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
0 12
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
Today 10:10 AM
by stevef1201
8 496
Mulching beds
Bradcook21
Today 07:43 AM
Today 10:03 AM
by stevef1201
2 58
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
Yesterday 07:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 382
30 Inch Push Mowers Pros...
Billy Goat
06-27-2013 08:07 PM
Yesterday 06:40 PM
by SGL1
22 6,218
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 05:39 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
120 8,250
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
Yesterday 03:16 PM
by kslawn
2 518
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
09-19-2014 05:59 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 874
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-19-2014 03:29 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,045
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
09-19-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
23 1,418
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-17-2014 08:38 AM
09-19-2014 08:17 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 423
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
09-18-2014 06:32 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
58 6,824
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
09-18-2014 11:19 AM
09-18-2014 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 275
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
09-18-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 537
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-17-2014 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 964
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
09-17-2014 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 357
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
09-17-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 723
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
09-17-2014 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 502
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,252
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 4,939
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,160
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 841
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 430
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 532
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 446
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,147
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 920
Employee uniforms
Gerardo_Landscape
01-21-2014 11:11 PM
09-15-2014 02:12 PM
by Steve
5 1,056
Greetings from the north
Northwoods Outdoors
09-13-2014 08:55 AM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Steve
1 418
darleneh
darleneh
09-15-2014 12:33 PM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 388
My 1st bid
WesleySnips
06-11-2014 03:13 PM
09-15-2014 02:05 PM
by Steve
29 1,835
New Aerator
Chaz
09-09-2014 11:43 PM
09-15-2014 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 674
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
09-15-2014 01:23 PM
by stevef1201
8 1,318
getting ready to start
calebmoss
05-23-2011 09:35 PM
09-11-2014 12:21 PM
by Steve
34 11,322
Stihl pull cord replace
SGL1
09-03-2014 09:22 PM
09-10-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
9 843
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
09-10-2014 12:16 PM
by Steve
18 1,585
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
09-09-2014 08:05 PM
by Landscaper1165
4 1,073
New truck and trailer...
Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012 03:41 PM
09-09-2014 07:23 PM
by Matther777
18 6,662
What gets you bad press?
Steve
09-09-2014 11:48 AM
09-09-2014 07:21 PM
by Matther777
2 545
Signs on your snow plow?
Steve
01-15-2007 01:07 AM
09-09-2014 11:42 AM
by Steve
19 6,288
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
09-08-2014 08:08 PM
by avetslawncare
12 1,360
New to the business
flamingyouth87
09-05-2014 11:52 AM
09-08-2014 11:55 AM
by Steve
3 754
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
09-08-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
7 1,044
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 08:36 AM
09-07-2014 07:35 AM
by avetslawncare
24 7,830
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
09-06-2014 02:09 PM
by Bradcook21
8 1,133
billing matters
sbuchanan8154
09-05-2014 09:56 AM
09-05-2014 03:00 PM
by Steve
3 731
Thoughts
googus
09-05-2014 07:28 AM
09-05-2014 02:23 PM
by Steve
2 676
Backflow Tester
flowcheckllc.2014
09-03-2014 04:37 PM
09-05-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 770
Collections & collection...
jscarolina
09-03-2014 04:39 PM
09-04-2014 03:14 PM
by Steve
2 783
Sod
RosalesLawnCare
08-27-2014 03:47 PM
09-04-2014 02:42 PM
by RosalesLawnCare
4 1,035
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment complex auger birdscaping blades charge christmas lighting collections credit card processing customers decorating ditches exmark ferris first truck fundraiser georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business holiday lighting how much to charge how to bid husqvarna john deere quik trac kansas city kawasaki landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo leaf leaf removal lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mulch estimate new and restored landscapes new buisness past due podcast promotion pto redmax rotating running a business savannah scag season seo small engine repair snow sprayer starting a business start up lawn care business stihl top dresser toro toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack turfgrass consulting walker
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy