Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

A question for more experienced lawn services.


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Clean Lawn Clean Lawn is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 124
Rep Power: 8
Clean Lawn
Default

Greetings everyone. I am Rhonda Solomon and I am one of the newer lawn services and landscaping companies to the Hampton Roads area. One gentleman from a more experienced lawn service company was very kind to me as I am just starting out and sent me a copy of 'Start & Run a Landscape Business' by Joel LaRusic. This book has been incredible. I am finding so many wonderful and exciting things about the industry I didn't know and also some really really really great ideas! I am a creative person in the sense that if I can make it, then I do and this shows in things around my home for Christmas (for example). I have created X-Mas wreaths for friends and families, christmas cards, hand crochetted snow flakes that are hung on my x-mas tree and windows but needless to say...I started creating some business "thank you cards" for all my new customers for CleanLawn. I will take some pictures and have my husband show me how to post them so I can get everyones opinions on them. Anyhow again off subject and getting back to it, I saw the Newsletter section of the book. Well I wanted to know how many professional lawn services actually have created their own Newslletter for their clients and if they have can you give me ideas on things you have put into the Newsletters.
Some of the other things I have considered for my business I would like to gain the opinions of experienced professionals on these ideas also please.
Referal service- I give new and existing customers 5 business cards at a time with their names hand written on the back (my handwritting is very unique so I know when its mine) and for each card that is returned to me that someone signs up for a service I give that customer a $5.00 credit. I don't limit to the amount of service that can be refered to us but obviously the same person should not keep coming back every week with a business card from the same customer.
I give a 10% discount on all accounts paid in full before the next month of service begins (up till the 5th day of the month).
I want to encourage my clients to continue to refer people to CleanLawn and am looking for more ways but running a little dry on the ideas.
I am considering offering a senior citizen discount and was curious if any other business' offered this and if they did how much of a discount they gave?
Hampton Roads is a enormous military area and I considered giving a 10% military discount but my husband says no because the military get discounts in this area all the time. Any thoughts on this one?
I am considering creating business signs that can be stuck into the ground in clients yards that might help the business gain more potential clients. I would of course give incentive for my clients to allow me to keep the sign in their yards for short periods of time and would in no way allow a tasteless sign to be created and put in my clients yards. Does anyone do this or have tried in it in the past?
This idea would not go into effect until next year because my business did not start until the middle of last month. I wanted to offer a CleanLawn lawn/garden of the year for my CleanLawn customers and give the winner a $100-$150.00 gift certificate to one of the local nurseries. Has anyone ever tried anything like this?
I am also open to other ideas if anyone can or wants to throw any out there in this posting section.
Lastly, back to the Newsletter. Something I have also considered for the Newsletter would be eventually to turn it into a newsletter (not just for my clients but for everyone) and offer advertising on it and start in a couple of neighborhoods with my clients and keep allowing it to grow to cover the greater hampton roads area in Virginia but perhaps it could have ads and interviews with different companies in this area that have something unique about them or something they do.
Anyhow I would love as much imput as possible and some suggestions if something you have thought about seems like a good idea or have tried that went over very well.
Thank you everyone in advance. I really appreciate everything.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,533
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Greetings everyone. I am Rhonda Solomon and I am one of the newer lawn services and landscaping companies to the Hampton Roads area. One gentleman from a more experienced lawn service company was very kind to me as I am just starting out and sent me a copy of 'Start & Run a Landscape Business' by Joel LaRusic. This book has been incredible. I am finding so many wonderful and exciting things about the industry I didn't know and also some really really really great ideas!
Did you know we have a podcast interview with the author? Listening to it might give you more ideas.

Scroll down to see the podcast "Interview with lawn care business owner and author Joel LaRusic"
http://odeo.com/channel/412313/view/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I am a creative person in the sense that if I can make it, then I do and this shows in things around my home for Christmas (for example). I have created X-Mas wreaths for friends and families, christmas cards, hand crochetted snow flakes that are hung on my x-mas tree and windows but needless to say...I started creating some business "thank you cards" for all my new customers for CleanLawn. I will take some pictures and have my husband show me how to post them so I can get everyones opinions on them.
I look forwards to seeing them. If you can't figure out how to post pictures, email them to us at support@gophersoftware.com and we will get them online for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Anyhow again off subject and getting back to it, I saw the Newsletter section of the book. Well I wanted to know how many professional lawn services actually have created their own Newslletter for their clients and if they have can you give me ideas on things you have put into the Newsletters.
Have you seen this free newsletter you can download? I think putting together a newsletter can be time intensive. I don't think too many new lawn care operations use them, but if you have the time to experiment, why not try it out? Come up with some seasonal ideas. Search the internet for other newsletter concepts and maybe that will help get you going.


Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Some of the other things I have considered for my business I would like to gain the opinions of experienced professionals on these ideas also please.
Referal service- I give new and existing customers 5 business cards at a time with their names hand written on the back (my handwritting is very unique so I know when its mine) and for each card that is returned to me that someone signs up for a service I give that customer a $5.00 credit. I don't limit to the amount of service that can be refered to us but obviously the same person should not keep coming back every week with a business card from the same customer.
I give a 10% discount on all accounts paid in full before the next month of service begins (up till the 5th day of the month).
I want to encourage my clients to continue to refer people to CleanLawn and am looking for more ways but running a little dry on the ideas.
Check out these posts, they may give you referal ideas.
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum....;t=5061
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum....;t=3526

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I am considering offering a senior citizen discount and was curious if any other business' offered this and if they did how much of a discount they gave?
Hampton Roads is a enormous military area and I considered giving a 10% military discount but my husband says no because the military get discounts in this area all the time. Any thoughts on this one?
It could be a good way to get military members to sign up. Maybe try it out with a limited time coupon in a flyer?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Business Name
sanchez5
10-28-2014 11:55 PM
Today 12:57 PM
by jrs.landscaping
7 194
Pavers
crieg122
10-28-2014 02:49 PM
Today 11:46 AM
by crieg122
4 183
Difference between lawn...
sanchez5
Yesterday 04:20 PM
Today 05:58 AM
by Billy Goat
1 114
Gie-review / What's new...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-25-2014 09:19 AM
Yesterday 10:35 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 385
My Newest Toy (B.P....
Dan Tanner
10-23-2014 05:50 PM
Yesterday 12:26 PM
by Steve
6 491
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-28-2014 11:08 PM
by SGlawncare
4 851
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-28-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
1,193 341,010
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
10-28-2014 02:38 PM
by Steve
14 1,881
Business Cards
crieg122
10-25-2014 12:03 PM
10-28-2014 02:37 PM
by crieg122
4 362
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
10-23-2014 01:23 PM
10-28-2014 11:28 AM
by crieg122
15 677
So how do you guys...
Mr. Mow
10-26-2014 07:55 AM
10-28-2014 04:56 AM
by Billy Goat
2 304
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:59 PM
10-28-2014 01:37 AM
by Steve
3 500
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
10-27-2014 10:36 PM
by SGlawncare
12 1,218
new to the forum
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 02:52 PM
10-27-2014 12:14 PM
by Steve
1 318
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:41 PM
10-26-2014 10:59 AM
by stevef1201
13 681
Leaf removal
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 04:14 PM
10-26-2014 07:45 AM
by Mr. Mow
5 439
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 09:19 PM
10-25-2014 12:09 PM
by biglee
10 591
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
10-21-2014 06:20 AM
10-25-2014 11:46 AM
by crieg122
6 585
hey everyone
robert8509
10-22-2014 08:16 PM
10-24-2014 11:07 PM
by robert8509
7 482
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 08:07 AM
10-23-2014 11:08 PM
by Chilehead
2 413
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
10-23-2014 05:55 PM
by biglee
13 740
Hi from SoCal
Jmoney
10-23-2014 11:29 AM
10-23-2014 12:51 PM
by Steve
1 372
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-23-2014 12:33 PM
by Steve
5 840
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
10-23-2014 06:12 AM
by ringahding1
4 667
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
10-22-2014 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 728
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
10-22-2014 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 695
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
10-22-2014 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,690
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
10-21-2014 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 974
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
10-21-2014 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 837
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
10-21-2014 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,936
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
10-21-2014 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 566
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 2,159
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,648
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 539
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 605
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 1,062
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,580
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 788
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 640
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 973
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 1,278
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,680
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 995
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 718
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,847
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,842
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,967
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 851
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 1,016
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 847
» Popular Tags
4wd aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying article marketing bid billy goat brushcutter blades bush charge collections subcontractor decorating deliquentaccounts ditches employee problems equipment rental estimate exmark ferris first truck foreman georgia gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business honda how much to charge husqvarna hydraulic installation introduction landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website marketing mechanic monthly mulch mulch price new business new mower ordinance podcast reo running a business scag scag v-ride search engine optimization seo shreaded snow snow plowing starting a business start up lawn care business steep lawns steve stihl theft of services toro trailer truck new used landscape walker won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy