Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Winter Expenses ugh...


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 PM
warbuff's Avatar
warbuff warbuff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 5
warbuff is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Expenses ugh...

I've been putting a bit of thought into this and decided it was time to share a few of my practices...

Ever run out of money in the off season and ended up paying with credit cards or taking a loan to cover your expenses? That was me 5 years ago. its hard to put money aside for the winter when you have bills to pay now, it took me a while to get to this point but last two winters have been much more manageable.

I started by making some accounting changes and also charging more. Then I had to get creative in cost cutting and how I paid my bills.

With my insurances I have my renewals in May a month after the season starts and I make sure to pay it off in 7 months, during the season so I do not have to make insurance payments in the off season. For example if you insurance is 1200 a year you would generally make 12 $100 dollar payments Instead I make 7 payments @ $171.50. For a small contractor like me not having to make that extra 100 payment each month from December to April is huge.

I use this same principle for my advertising and various affiliations and or memberships. All costs that are much easier to pay in season.

While you can't do this for every thing. My in season expenses are about $2350 a month not including payroll, when December hits that drops down $1300 which is much easier to handle...

I have to save less for winter costs, but I still try to put an extra $250 away per week to help cover those costs in winter so I will not have to rely on plowing income.

Just curious if any else has ideas on this or does similar things?
__________________

Clean, Quality Maintenance Services that Exceed Your Expectations.
Find Us On Facebook: ML Landscaping Poughkeepsie NY
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbuff View Post
I've been putting a bit of thought into this and decided it was time to share a few of my practices...

Ever run out of money in the off season and ended up paying with credit cards or taking a loan to cover your expenses? That was me 5 years ago. its hard to put money aside for the winter when you have bills to pay now, it took me a while to get to this point but last two winters have been much more manageable.

I started by making some accounting changes and also charging more. Then I had to get creative in cost cutting and how I paid my bills.

With my insurances I have my renewals in May a month after the season starts and I make sure to pay it off in 7 months, during the season so I do not have to make insurance payments in the off season. For example if you insurance is 1200 a year you would generally make 12 $100 dollar payments Instead I make 7 payments @ $171.50. For a small contractor like me not having to make that extra 100 payment each month from December to April is huge.

I use this same principle for my advertising and various affiliations and or memberships. All costs that are much easier to pay in season.

While you can't do this for every thing. My in season expenses are about $2350 a month not including payroll, when December hits that drops down $1300 which is much easier to handle...

I have to save less for winter costs, but I still try to put an extra $250 away per week to help cover those costs in winter so I will not have to rely on plowing income.

Just curious if any else has ideas on this or does similar things?
I'd like to hear responses on this one, and you've made some very good points, I like how you are putting aside money every week, will be doing that for sure once my business is up and running, feels like forever to get here though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

Ever thought of doing Christmas lights or outside holiday decorating? A lot of people don't care to get out in the cold and do that kind of stuff.... extra money? Christmas lights are a huge business down here but I have yet to get in to it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
willshome willshome is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 865
Rep Power: 0
willshome is on a distinguished road
Default

I do the same thing with my insurance but this year I would llike to pay it off in june when it starts. Get it done with and save $5 a month in fees
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,222
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
For example if you insurance is 1200 a year you would generally make 12 $100 dollar payments Instead I make 7 payments @ $171.50.
That is brilliant! What got you to change the way you did this? Did someone suggest it to you or how did you come up with it?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 PM
warbuff's Avatar
warbuff warbuff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 5
warbuff is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That is brilliant! What got you to change the way you did this? Did someone suggest it to you or how did you come up with it?
in my 3rd year was making more money but I knew winter was going to kick my *** again so I looked at ways to keep my expenses down. Decided it was easier to do it this way when money was coming in faster. That hard choice with that is sometimes you don't pay down your debt as fast as you like but in winter time you can accumulate additional debt so much faster (when your income is lower) so you have to pick and choose your spots.

Its easy to say your going to save $250 a week or 1000 a month in reality its much much tougher...

For someone starting out I would recommend putting $50 a week away, at the end of the month you can add to it that's great but first weigh risk reward of paying down a debt or adding a new piece of equipment. Planning long term can only help. If you fail to plan ahead, you just asking for trouble...
__________________

Clean, Quality Maintenance Services that Exceed Your Expectations.
Find Us On Facebook: ML Landscaping Poughkeepsie NY
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbuff View Post
in my 3rd year was making more money but I knew winter was going to kick my *** again so I looked at ways to keep my expenses down. Decided it was easier to do it this way when money was coming in faster. That hard choice with that is sometimes you don't pay down your debt as fast as you like but in winter time you can accumulate additional debt so much faster (when your income is lower) so you have to pick and choose your spots.

Its easy to say your going to save $250 a week or 1000 a month in reality its much much tougher...

For someone starting out I would recommend putting $50 a week away, at the end of the month you can add to it that's great but first weigh risk reward of paying down a debt or adding a new piece of equipment. Planning long term can only help. If you fail to plan ahead, you just asking for trouble...
I might consider this upon my start up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Its all about budgeting. If it helps you to spend the money in the spring and summer then go for it.

I do almost the opposite. I run a lean budget in season and do all my equipment purchases in the winter. During the spring and summer my income fluctuates so much its hard to know whats ahead. In the winter Ill get the same amount coming in for 4-5 months with a little added bonus from homeowners.

I guess its all preference and depends on how your revenue comes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 AM
warbuff's Avatar
warbuff warbuff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 5
warbuff is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Its all about budgeting.

I guess its all preference and depends on how your revenue comes.
You have to figure out what works for you, I tell people what worked for me and if they can learn from my mistakes or ideas and do better for themselves mission accomplished, if they don't but post something else that I find helpful again mission accomplished. In the end I'm here to better my business, and I hope everyone else is able to improve as well...
__________________

Clean, Quality Maintenance Services that Exceed Your Expectations.
Find Us On Facebook: ML Landscaping Poughkeepsie NY
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silly Expenses CHEESE2009 General Talk 14 09-11-2011 11:33 PM
Income/Expenses workdog Starting a lawn care business. 6 08-03-2010 01:39 AM
HelP W/Operating Expenses COWPOP General Business Discussions 2 01-27-2008 01:12 AM
Expenses and PDA tiedeman Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 08-30-2006 11:51 AM
tracking expenses Bamafire1 Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 04-30-2004 03:52 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
Today 03:31 PM
Today 05:40 PM
by Just for Cuts
2 28
trimming back shrubs
WesleySnips
Yesterday 06:14 AM
Today 05:36 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 104
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 04:24 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
88 4,944
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
Today 03:34 PM
by Shady Grady
1,185 322,680
Echo Edger 'Neutral'
WesleySnips
07-25-2014 05:28 PM
Today 01:50 PM
by stevef1201
7 238
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
Yesterday 06:13 PM
Today 01:47 PM
by stevef1201
2 60
Buy a good company at a...
Steve
03-12-2011 06:38 AM
Today 01:44 PM
by Steve
2 1,692
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
Today 10:29 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 314
Employee wont return...
Prolawnofchatt
06-13-2014 03:12 PM
Yesterday 09:59 PM
by WesleySnips
5 568
Mow and leaf cleanup bid
SGL1
07-29-2014 07:28 PM
Yesterday 07:14 PM
by SGL1
23 336
Late charge
Simon Abousaada
07-30-2014 07:23 PM
Yesterday 12:41 PM
by Steve
2 97
Need input on a bid
phlawncare
07-28-2014 08:51 PM
Yesterday 05:08 AM
by kslawn
7 222
New from Texas
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:17 AM
07-30-2014 01:03 PM
by Steve
5 228
Single tree, mow customer
WesleySnips
06-27-2014 10:12 AM
07-30-2014 12:31 PM
by Steve
17 763
Formulas Used
BaileynSamsMum
07-29-2014 06:40 AM
07-30-2014 12:19 PM
by Steve
3 165
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
07-30-2014 06:29 AM
by kslawn
5 202
Will summer ever come
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-29-2014 08:27 AM
07-29-2014 08:29 PM
by SGL1
5 153
From Concord NC
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:34 PM
07-29-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
3 163
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
07-29-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 217
Left handed edging with...
SGL1
07-23-2014 08:59 PM
07-28-2014 07:39 AM
by SGL1
15 406
Echo PE 266 edger
stevef1201
07-01-2014 01:28 PM
07-27-2014 10:14 PM
by WesleySnips
5 406
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
07-27-2014 08:16 AM
by Just for Cuts
7 244
need some help geting...
dalvan0
07-13-2014 09:28 PM
07-26-2014 04:39 PM
by BLC7
7 392
new trailer help
mattthelawnguy
07-11-2014 08:21 PM
07-25-2014 06:31 PM
by mattthelawnguy
13 597
You know it;s gonna be a...
stevef1201
07-25-2014 08:50 AM
07-25-2014 01:34 PM
by Steve
1 156
Customer letters
kslawn
07-23-2014 06:17 AM
07-25-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
5 288
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
07-24-2014 07:09 PM
by SGL1
29 1,385
Need help determining...
Jbss861
07-20-2014 02:33 PM
07-24-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
13 477
Should I ?
googus
07-22-2014 04:06 PM
07-24-2014 12:10 PM
by Steve
4 310
My First Apartment...
SSLCtn
05-26-2014 10:17 PM
07-24-2014 06:46 AM
by kslawn
15 997
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
07-24-2014 06:38 AM
by kslawn
3 283
Selling lawns like...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:51 PM
07-24-2014 06:28 AM
by kslawn
3 343
Scag new "Eliminator"......
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-20-2014 10:45 AM
07-23-2014 05:37 PM
by Just for Cuts
9 409
need professional advice...
Fiddlers_green
07-20-2014 07:21 PM
07-23-2014 12:42 PM
by Steve
3 287
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 10:20 PM
07-23-2014 12:40 PM
by Steve
15 1,530
Lawn Service back in...
LawnCareMan280
07-18-2014 09:00 PM
07-23-2014 11:48 AM
by Steve
4 321
Overspray?
stevef1201
07-21-2014 04:20 PM
07-23-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
3 225
Hello Everyone! Newbie...
SLKlawn
07-17-2014 06:22 PM
07-22-2014 01:53 PM
by Steve
6 369
Proper height for lawn
rob lederhilger
05-26-2014 08:01 AM
07-21-2014 02:53 PM
by LawnDoctor
9 734
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 12:31 PM
07-21-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
9 601
What's my business worth?
Chaz
07-16-2014 01:35 PM
07-21-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
4 379
1.5 Acre Jungle
WesleySnips
07-15-2014 05:57 PM
07-20-2014 11:31 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
21 727
Gopher schedule software
Ray
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
by Ray
0 280
2006 Chevy fuel pump...
KevinsLawns
07-17-2014 08:39 PM
07-18-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
1 260
Halfway point of year!
Steve
07-01-2014 12:08 PM
07-18-2014 11:38 AM
by Steve
14 836
I got told to leave and...
gwilson98
06-16-2014 02:07 PM
07-17-2014 11:43 AM
by Steve
16 1,160
Hey guys this is the...
prmenter@gmail.com
07-07-2014 08:23 PM
07-16-2014 08:10 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
28 894
Mowing the hills
prmenter@gmail.com
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
07-16-2014 05:00 PM
by Just for Cuts
18 810
Classified Ad Template...
bcfb
06-05-2013 02:40 AM
07-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
15 3,847
Husqvarna pz 60
CDLAWNCARE
07-06-2014 06:50 PM
07-15-2014 08:53 AM
by kslawn
10 551
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 ads apartment lawn care estimate birdscaping care charge collections subcontractor commercial craigslist customers ecosymbiosis employee problems exmark ferris four wheel drive franchise gopherhaul grass gravely holiday honda how much to charge how to bid hydraulic installation invoice kawasaki labor cost late lawn lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lawn service leaf cleanup lesco marketing mowing mulch estimate native plants new buisness office management online classifieds podcast promotion rotating scag scag v-ride season seo sprayer starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky theft of services tips toro tractor auger trailer mate pro truck new used landscape upsell walk behind walker winter money making ideas won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy