Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Residential Contracts


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #31  
Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
Get out of "business owner" mode. Don't think of money, don't think of how people will screw you over, don't think of anything related to costs or your business.

After that is all said and done, put yourself in the customers shoes. Afterall, they are the ones who pay your salary. What would you look for in a company? How would you like to be billed? Would you sign a contract with a guy you don't know? Think of what you'd expect from a lawncare company.

When you have your idea, do that! Tweak it a bit here and there. Last year I billed out at the end of the month. I changed it this year to advance billing from suggestions of guys on here. Your first year won't be perfect, but try out different things and stick with what works the best.

You can't do what everyone on here suggests. Just like quotes,estimates, etc...we all live in different area's. Everyone here is different.

You also made no mention of "thinking of using a contract". Your original post was about using a contract for billing a flat rate.

I understand your trying to learn. We all were at one point. Heck I still am! You and I are actually the same age. But if I told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?? Think CUSTOMERS FIRST.
Ok I understand this. This is probably a stupid question, but how do you go about billing in advance?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #32  
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM
mac83's Avatar
mac83 mac83 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: columbia Tn
Posts: 49
Rep Power: 3
mac83 is on a distinguished road
Default

Just talk to your customer about the perks of paying ahead of time or paying a lump sum at one time and give them a deal when they do
__________________
Stihl FS 110-R
Stihl FS 85
Stihl FS 55
48" Lesco Walk-behind
22" Push Mower
Husk. Back-Pack-Blower
7'x12' Open Trailer With DoveTail



Website: http://mcnicholscontracting-tn.com
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 PM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

Look at the bigger picture people!!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 PM
warbuff's Avatar
warbuff warbuff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 5
warbuff is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
Get out of "business owner" mode. Don't think of money, don't think of how people will screw you over, don't think of anything related to costs or your business.

After that is all said and done, put yourself in the customers shoes. Afterall, they are the ones who pay your salary. What would you look for in a company? How would you like to be billed? Would you sign a contract with a guy you don't know? Think of what you'd expect from a lawncare company.

When you have your idea, do that! Tweak it a bit here and there. Last year I billed out at the end of the month. I changed it this year to advance billing from suggestions of guys on here. Your first year won't be perfect, but try out different things and stick with what works the best.

You can't do what everyone on here suggests. Just like quotes,estimates, etc...we all live in different area's. Everyone here is different.

You also made no mention of "thinking of using a contract". Your original post was about using a contract for billing a flat rate.

I understand your trying to learn. We all were at one point. Heck I still am! You and I are actually the same age. But if I told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?? Think CUSTOMERS FIRST.
I think is a great suggestion and I would like to add just one simple thing to this, have a plan your comfortable with. How am I going to run my business, ad new customers, bill etc. Boyscout motto be prepared...
__________________

Clean, Quality Maintenance Services that Exceed Your Expectations.
Find Us On Facebook: ML Landscaping Poughkeepsie NY
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbuff View Post
I think is a great suggestion and I would like to add just one simple thing to this, have a plan your comfortable with. How am I going to run my business, ad new customers, bill etc. Boyscout motto be prepared...
Having a plan is good enough for me, I'll post a few more questions I'll have on here, and then once I get my equipment and trailer I'll post those pictures, but after that probably won't post that much at all unless its an update here and there or to answer someone's question if I can....
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 AM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

Contracts aren't really for mowing. I use them in the following manner.

Customer Josh is paying $200 a month to have his lawn mowed. So he budgets $200 monthly to pay his lawn guy. Totaling about $1600 a year, for cuttings.

I approach josh and say for $300 a month we can mulch once a year, weed beds monthly, keep hedges trimmed, fertilize, control ants, and mow.

Josh says I can get that for only $100 more a month? You say "yes" on a 12 month contract. And you use the contracts to protect both you and him.

Josh knows he can afford $200 a month. Now he has to figure if he can afford $300.

If customer agrees, you just turned your $1600 a year customer to $3600 a year!

Contract worth it.. I say hell yes. What about that isn't worth it. I got this exact contract. Same numbers. I spent $250 on mulch and 4 hours on initial clean up and mulch job. Now its just maintaining..... when the weeds get controlled you don't have a problem anymore.

How anyone says its isn't worth it. Beyond me.

As far as court goes, apparently people don't fully understand the legal system.

I take josh to court because he failed to pay. He has breached the contract. He owes me for months we have performed services, plus the breach of contract penalty, which in my case is 50% of remaining contract value.

If josh doesn't pay this amount. I start keeping track of my time I have spent trying to collect this debt, typing letter, making phone calls. Also keep up with any expenses you have trying to collect, such as sending certified mail, fuel cost and so on.

I also accumulate late fees on past dues accounts at 19.99% MONTHLY.

After 30 days of non payment, I send a certified letter stating if not played within 15 days criminal charges will be filed, and a civil suite as well.

Any cost you have during a civil suite process, can be added into the lawsuit. Even attorneys fees.

So say josh owes me $300 plus 19.99% interest plus a late fee and the 50% of remaining contract. So he now owes me $2,000.

Plus my time and cost. My time at my normal rate in course of busjness per hour. So I have 2 hours in it plus the cost of mail and fuel. So that's another $200.

He owes me $2,200.

Now there is court fees and all that up front.

Now I am suing for $2,500.

I will win. I have a contract and clauses within it to protect me from deadbeats. I suggest any contract you write or get offline, you have an attorney make sure that your contract follows the bylaws of your state. If you have a goofy contract with some off the wall crap in it, the judge will look to you, as the writer of the contract to explain in detail and tell which laws support why that should be upheld.

I leave no out for a contract customer. Its iron clad. Why? Because someone will let you mulch and do big jibs and then try to cancel. I don't play that round. You sign the line, your in it for the long haul. Like a car note its not beneficial to get out of that contract agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNethercutt View Post
Contracts aren't really for mowing. I use them in the following manner.

Customer Josh is paying $200 a month to have his lawn mowed. So he budgets $200 monthly to pay his lawn guy. Totaling about $1600 a year, for cuttings.

I approach josh and say for $300 a month we can mulch once a year, weed beds monthly, keep hedges trimmed, fertilize, control ants, and mow.

Josh says I can get that for only $100 more a month? You say "yes" on a 12 month contract. And you use the contracts to protect both you and him.

Josh knows he can afford $200 a month. Now he has to figure if he can afford $300.

If customer agrees, you just turned your $1600 a year customer to $3600 a year!

Contract worth it.. I say hell yes. What about that isn't worth it. I got this exact contract. Same numbers. I spent $250 on mulch and 4 hours on initial clean up and mulch job. Now its just maintaining..... when the weeds get controlled you don't have a problem anymore.

How anyone says its isn't worth it. Beyond me.

As far as court goes, apparently people don't fully understand the legal system.

I take josh to court because he failed to pay. He has breached the contract. He owes me for months we have performed services, plus the breach of contract penalty, which in my case is 50% of remaining contract value.

If josh doesn't pay this amount. I start keeping track of my time I have spent trying to collect this debt, typing letter, making phone calls. Also keep up with any expenses you have trying to collect, such as sending certified mail, fuel cost and so on.

I also accumulate late fees on past dues accounts at 19.99% MONTHLY.

After 30 days of non payment, I send a certified letter stating if not played within 15 days criminal charges will be filed, and a civil suite as well.

Any cost you have during a civil suite process, can be added into the lawsuit. Even attorneys fees.

So say josh owes me $300 plus 19.99% interest plus a late fee and the 50% of remaining contract. So he now owes me $2,000.

Plus my time and cost. My time at my normal rate in course of busjness per hour. So I have 2 hours in it plus the cost of mail and fuel. So that's another $200.

He owes me $2,200.

Now there is court fees and all that up front.

Now I am suing for $2,500.

I will win. I have a contract and clauses within it to protect me from deadbeats. I suggest any contract you write or get offline, you have an attorney make sure that your contract follows the bylaws of your state. If you have a goofy contract with some off the wall crap in it, the judge will look to you, as the writer of the contract to explain in detail and tell which laws support why that should be upheld.

I leave no out for a contract customer. Its iron clad. Why? Because someone will let you mulch and do big jibs and then try to cancel. I don't play that round. You sign the line, your in it for the long haul. Like a car note its not beneficial to get out of that contract agreement.
Contracts don't guarantee a win in court. I've seen plenty of cases where a contract was enforced and the business still lost out big time.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlue View Post
Ok I understand this. This is probably a stupid question, but how do you go about billing in advance?
Heres how I do it:

Feb 1 - invoices go out to be paid by feb. 20th, this covers march services
March 1 - invoices go out to be paid by march 20th. This covers April services.

If customers come in half way into the month, they pay for the rest of the month.

I ran into a few customers who were a little ticked I did it this way, but after I explained it, they were fine. I said cell phone carriers do this, and it gives me more time to spend with my customers instead of trying to collect.

When I changed policies I lost a few customers....but go figure the only customers I lost were the ones I had to chase for payments.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

A contract can be enforced and either party could loose. You get a good contract AND uphold your end of the contract. There is no way you could loose your case in said occurance. And being in business is a gamble. There is no guarantee you will ever get paid with a contract, without a contract, or even with a judgement.

If your not willing to risk loosing $500 any given day, I would say running a business isn't for you. Your stuff is gonna get stolen, your equipment will get tore up. Its called the cost of doing business and we are all gonna have to live with that.

I have almost been stiffed twice for over $600 each time, different clients in my first year of business. I consulted legal advice and found out my options. I handled it and both customers paid me 100% what was owed. Didn't cost me anything but an hour of my time.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

I'll take that into consideration LawnBoy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3/4 Acre Residential lxarth Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 16 06-25-2012 05:03 PM
Residential or Commercial??? mortonslawn Starting a lawn care business. 10 10-26-2010 06:07 PM
commercial vs residential Floridajoe Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 18 06-05-2010 01:24 AM
My area is FULL of residential! Travor Starting a lawn care business. 14 08-10-2009 01:48 PM
Commercial vs. Residential musician/lawnman General Business Discussions 40 07-04-2008 07:54 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
Today 12:40 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
14 390
danny 2
danny2
Yesterday 10:19 PM
Yesterday 10:41 PM
by danny2
1 34
I Got Taken...,
Dan Tanner
Yesterday 06:26 AM
Yesterday 08:15 PM
by Dan Tanner
3 107
new to this forum!
mower13126
04-18-2014 07:37 PM
Yesterday 05:34 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
3 94
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
Yesterday 03:15 PM
by stevef1201
9 251
employee pay
4 seasons maintenance
04-10-2011 09:34 PM
Yesterday 12:19 PM
by kslawn
19 6,770
REO calling
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 05:03 PM
Yesterday 11:17 AM
by kslawn
11 257
this mower is driving me...
boog
04-17-2014 12:07 PM
Yesterday 10:59 AM
by kslawn
4 132
Customers droping like...
goodtimez
04-18-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 08:09 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
7 159
Back for this year
xandrew245x
02-21-2014 04:30 PM
Yesterday 07:59 AM
by xandrew245x
14 864
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
Yesterday 07:49 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
4 139
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 04:22 AM
by Tekeda1
17 381
2.5 acre mowing
xandrew245x
04-18-2014 06:55 AM
04-18-2014 08:57 PM
by xandrew245x
6 119
Best Bulk Mulch delivery...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:52 AM
04-18-2014 05:34 PM
by Steve
2 67
Steve Virgadamo,...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:49 AM
04-18-2014 05:08 PM
by Steve
2 58
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
04-16-2014 11:28 AM
04-18-2014 04:51 PM
by Steve
3 99
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
04-18-2014 04:47 PM
by Steve
5 193
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
04-18-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
31 1,073
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
04-18-2014 04:39 PM
by Steve
9 214
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 11:00 PM
04-18-2014 04:04 PM
by stevef1201
10 209
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
04-18-2014 03:59 PM
by stevef1201
6 178
Pay per click advertising
roostertail
02-12-2014 07:26 PM
04-17-2014 07:11 PM
by yardrate
10 609
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-16-2014 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 727
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
04-16-2014 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 106
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 278
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
04-16-2014 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 96
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
04-16-2014 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 620
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
04-16-2014 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 236
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 175
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 309
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 211
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 108
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 285,654
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 449
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-14-2014 10:51 AM
by Steve
8 361
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 447
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 176
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 425
Hello all
Griff20114
04-12-2014 05:08 PM
04-14-2014 09:46 AM
by Steve
1 119
Step by Step Spring Lawn...
WarriorLawnscaping
04-10-2014 07:01 AM
04-14-2014 09:43 AM
by Steve
5 253
Jeff Cowden
jcowden
04-11-2014 07:27 PM
04-14-2014 09:39 AM
by Steve
1 112
Exmark Commercial 30...
Dan Tanner
04-11-2014 05:35 AM
04-14-2014 09:37 AM
by Steve
4 201
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-14-2014 08:04 AM
by acrajchel
21 1,602
Small guy time to get a...
googus
04-08-2014 08:16 AM
04-13-2014 07:18 PM
by A. Kulak Landscaping
9 332
Weekly vs. Bi-weekly
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 01:48 PM
04-13-2014 06:03 PM
by kslawn
9 339
Weed ID help
TwinBrosLC
04-12-2014 10:39 AM
04-13-2014 07:40 AM
by stevef1201
4 171
Lexington, KY
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:06 PM
04-11-2014 09:49 PM
by acrajchel
1 141
Food Plot Management
BlackRain75
04-11-2014 10:20 AM
04-11-2014 03:51 PM
by Steve
4 141
Estimating a job
acrajchel
04-08-2014 11:07 AM
04-11-2014 03:32 PM
by Steve
6 311
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
04-11-2014 03:25 PM
by Steve
11 1,020
» Popular Tags
4wd 34'' aerator bid charge christmas light hanging christmas lighting color jet courtesy call credit card processing cultivation customers decorating echo ecosymbiosis escrow exmark ferris first truck florida flower bed cultivation price fs90r fundraiser gopherhaul grass gravely holiday holiday lighting honda how much to charge introduction lawn care lawn care business book lawn care business show lawn service leaf removal lighting marketing mechanic mowing mowing clarksville mulch native plants new buisness new business online classifieds organize outdoor environments payday pb500t podcast reo requests riding mower rotating scag season seo social media starting a business start up lawn care business steve stihl top dresser toro trailer truck turfgrass consulting walker winter services
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy