Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Winter Expenses ugh...


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM
warbuff's Avatar
warbuff warbuff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 5
warbuff is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Expenses ugh...

I've been putting a bit of thought into this and decided it was time to share a few of my practices...

Ever run out of money in the off season and ended up paying with credit cards or taking a loan to cover your expenses? That was me 5 years ago. its hard to put money aside for the winter when you have bills to pay now, it took me a while to get to this point but last two winters have been much more manageable.

I started by making some accounting changes and also charging more. Then I had to get creative in cost cutting and how I paid my bills.

With my insurances I have my renewals in May a month after the season starts and I make sure to pay it off in 7 months, during the season so I do not have to make insurance payments in the off season. For example if you insurance is 1200 a year you would generally make 12 $100 dollar payments Instead I make 7 payments @ $171.50. For a small contractor like me not having to make that extra 100 payment each month from December to April is huge.

I use this same principle for my advertising and various affiliations and or memberships. All costs that are much easier to pay in season.

While you can't do this for every thing. My in season expenses are about $2350 a month not including payroll, when December hits that drops down $1300 which is much easier to handle...

I have to save less for winter costs, but I still try to put an extra $250 away per week to help cover those costs in winter so I will not have to rely on plowing income.

Just curious if any else has ideas on this or does similar things?
__________________

Clean, Quality Maintenance Services that Exceed Your Expectations.
Find Us On Facebook: ML Landscaping Poughkeepsie NY
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbuff View Post
I've been putting a bit of thought into this and decided it was time to share a few of my practices...

Ever run out of money in the off season and ended up paying with credit cards or taking a loan to cover your expenses? That was me 5 years ago. its hard to put money aside for the winter when you have bills to pay now, it took me a while to get to this point but last two winters have been much more manageable.

I started by making some accounting changes and also charging more. Then I had to get creative in cost cutting and how I paid my bills.

With my insurances I have my renewals in May a month after the season starts and I make sure to pay it off in 7 months, during the season so I do not have to make insurance payments in the off season. For example if you insurance is 1200 a year you would generally make 12 $100 dollar payments Instead I make 7 payments @ $171.50. For a small contractor like me not having to make that extra 100 payment each month from December to April is huge.

I use this same principle for my advertising and various affiliations and or memberships. All costs that are much easier to pay in season.

While you can't do this for every thing. My in season expenses are about $2350 a month not including payroll, when December hits that drops down $1300 which is much easier to handle...

I have to save less for winter costs, but I still try to put an extra $250 away per week to help cover those costs in winter so I will not have to rely on plowing income.

Just curious if any else has ideas on this or does similar things?
I'd like to hear responses on this one, and you've made some very good points, I like how you are putting aside money every week, will be doing that for sure once my business is up and running, feels like forever to get here though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

Ever thought of doing Christmas lights or outside holiday decorating? A lot of people don't care to get out in the cold and do that kind of stuff.... extra money? Christmas lights are a huge business down here but I have yet to get in to it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 PM
willshome willshome is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 865
Rep Power: 0
willshome is on a distinguished road
Default

I do the same thing with my insurance but this year I would llike to pay it off in june when it starts. Get it done with and save $5 a month in fees
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
For example if you insurance is 1200 a year you would generally make 12 $100 dollar payments Instead I make 7 payments @ $171.50.
That is brilliant! What got you to change the way you did this? Did someone suggest it to you or how did you come up with it?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 PM
warbuff's Avatar
warbuff warbuff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 5
warbuff is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That is brilliant! What got you to change the way you did this? Did someone suggest it to you or how did you come up with it?
in my 3rd year was making more money but I knew winter was going to kick my *** again so I looked at ways to keep my expenses down. Decided it was easier to do it this way when money was coming in faster. That hard choice with that is sometimes you don't pay down your debt as fast as you like but in winter time you can accumulate additional debt so much faster (when your income is lower) so you have to pick and choose your spots.

Its easy to say your going to save $250 a week or 1000 a month in reality its much much tougher...

For someone starting out I would recommend putting $50 a week away, at the end of the month you can add to it that's great but first weigh risk reward of paying down a debt or adding a new piece of equipment. Planning long term can only help. If you fail to plan ahead, you just asking for trouble...
__________________

Clean, Quality Maintenance Services that Exceed Your Expectations.
Find Us On Facebook: ML Landscaping Poughkeepsie NY
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbuff View Post
in my 3rd year was making more money but I knew winter was going to kick my *** again so I looked at ways to keep my expenses down. Decided it was easier to do it this way when money was coming in faster. That hard choice with that is sometimes you don't pay down your debt as fast as you like but in winter time you can accumulate additional debt so much faster (when your income is lower) so you have to pick and choose your spots.

Its easy to say your going to save $250 a week or 1000 a month in reality its much much tougher...

For someone starting out I would recommend putting $50 a week away, at the end of the month you can add to it that's great but first weigh risk reward of paying down a debt or adding a new piece of equipment. Planning long term can only help. If you fail to plan ahead, you just asking for trouble...
I might consider this upon my start up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Its all about budgeting. If it helps you to spend the money in the spring and summer then go for it.

I do almost the opposite. I run a lean budget in season and do all my equipment purchases in the winter. During the spring and summer my income fluctuates so much its hard to know whats ahead. In the winter Ill get the same amount coming in for 4-5 months with a little added bonus from homeowners.

I guess its all preference and depends on how your revenue comes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 AM
warbuff's Avatar
warbuff warbuff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 5
warbuff is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Its all about budgeting.

I guess its all preference and depends on how your revenue comes.
You have to figure out what works for you, I tell people what worked for me and if they can learn from my mistakes or ideas and do better for themselves mission accomplished, if they don't but post something else that I find helpful again mission accomplished. In the end I'm here to better my business, and I hope everyone else is able to improve as well...
__________________

Clean, Quality Maintenance Services that Exceed Your Expectations.
Find Us On Facebook: ML Landscaping Poughkeepsie NY
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silly Expenses CHEESE2009 General Talk 14 09-12-2011 12:33 AM
Income/Expenses workdog Starting a lawn care business. 6 08-03-2010 02:39 AM
HelP W/Operating Expenses COWPOP General Business Discussions 2 01-27-2008 02:12 AM
Expenses and PDA tiedeman Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 08-30-2006 12:51 PM
tracking expenses Bamafire1 Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 04-30-2004 04:52 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
12-17-2014 05:07 PM
Today 03:49 PM
by Steve
6 151
Has Obamacare helped or...
Steve
Yesterday 04:37 PM
Today 03:47 PM
by Steve
2 56
Georgia Boys!
Chilehead
Yesterday 10:23 PM
Today 03:46 PM
by Steve
1 36
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
Today 03:44 PM
by Steve
4 118
I'm BACK!
SuperiorPower
12-16-2014 11:08 PM
Today 03:43 PM
by Steve
3 139
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 08:15 PM
Today 12:08 PM
by stevef1201
8 256
what do you "love" to...
calebmoss
07-06-2011 10:05 PM
12-17-2014 05:09 PM
by Chilehead
28 8,907
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 02:56 PM
12-17-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
23 2,932
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 09:51 AM
12-17-2014 09:40 AM
by SuperiorPower
34 6,078
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
12-17-2014 09:13 AM
by SuperiorPower
15 1,272
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
12-15-2014 10:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
188 16,502
New to Gopher Haul-from...
323k13l
12-12-2014 10:34 PM
12-15-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
3 261
hi
creteland
12-12-2014 09:06 AM
12-15-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
5 263
New addition to my small...
googus
12-12-2014 07:36 PM
12-15-2014 07:47 AM
by googus
4 328
Ferris IS700Z
rmccutchan
12-14-2014 01:10 AM
12-14-2014 11:41 PM
by rmccutchan
4 233
Charge what the market...
Billy Goat
12-09-2014 12:39 PM
12-14-2014 06:39 PM
by biglee
20 770
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
12-12-2014 07:18 AM
by steveinil
4 778
Utility Company Right of...
eastsidelandcare
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
by eastsidelandcare
0 251
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
12-11-2014 04:50 PM
by eastsidelandcare
33 4,017
suggestions on full lawn...
Brian3137
12-10-2014 07:18 PM
12-11-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
6 362
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 11:20 PM
12-11-2014 09:43 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
18 3,329
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
12-10-2014 02:45 PM
by WesleySnips
7 599
Echo pb200 blower fuel...
googus
12-06-2014 09:03 PM
12-09-2014 06:35 PM
by Steve
3 444
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
12-09-2014 06:24 PM
by Steve
36 9,764
Are you prepared for the...
Steve
12-02-2014 04:13 PM
12-09-2014 06:22 PM
by Steve
7 863
Email Address Name
Just Cuts
12-07-2014 09:49 PM
12-08-2014 03:15 PM
by Steve
3 397
Inspection form
stevef1201
12-07-2014 10:38 AM
12-08-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 395
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
12-08-2014 12:37 PM
by jrs.landscaping
108 34,126
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
12-07-2014 06:35 PM
by stevef1201
24 1,674
Innovation by mandate
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 01:33 PM
12-06-2014 03:27 PM
by SGL1
12 932
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 10:07 PM
12-05-2014 11:06 AM
by Steve
9 2,230
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
12-04-2014 01:32 PM
by stevef1201
15 1,411
How many hours is too...
Just Cuts
12-04-2014 09:00 AM
12-04-2014 01:02 PM
by Just for Cuts
6 577
Does this sound like a...
googus
12-03-2014 07:47 AM
12-04-2014 12:37 PM
by Steve
5 645
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
12-04-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
14 1,194
New website
SGL1
12-02-2014 10:55 PM
12-03-2014 11:17 PM
by BLC7
19 816
Websites, how long...
Dan Tanner
03-09-2014 08:29 AM
12-03-2014 11:12 PM
by SGL1
21 3,202
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 11:04 PM
12-03-2014 10:36 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 1,840
GPS trackers for...
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:09 PM
12-03-2014 07:17 PM
by Steve
8 674
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
12-03-2014 06:31 PM
by SGL1
17 1,406
Hiring Subs over Temps
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:26 AM
12-03-2014 01:24 PM
by Steve
3 605
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
12-02-2014 11:11 PM
by SGL1
11 9,495
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
12-02-2014 02:17 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 1,453
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
12-02-2014 08:47 AM
by SGL1
6 1,470
old contracts
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 11:10 AM
12-01-2014 11:20 AM
by Steve
3 688
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
12-01-2014 10:54 AM
by Steve
9 1,236
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
12-01-2014 10:45 AM
by Steve
32 15,139
Intuit Quickbooks...
CDLAWNCARE
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
0 590
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
11-28-2014 01:36 PM
by Just Cuts
1,196 355,504
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
09-30-2014 06:42 PM
11-28-2014 10:49 AM
by Steve
13 2,281
» Popular Tags
2wd aerocore apartment bid apartment complex applying auger billy goat brushcutter blades bush charge christmas deliquentaccounts ditches employee problems equipment rental first truck foreman georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business holiday husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing mr dave mulch mulch estimate mulch price new buisness new business new mower ordinance per hour charge podcast profit on employee pto push versus ride running a business savannah search engine optimization seo shreaded small engine repair starting a business starting a lawn care business start up lawn care business steep lawns sulky theft toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack walk behind wood
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy