Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job
If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.

request to bid


Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 PM
wilcox_11 wilcox_11 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 4
wilcox_11 is on a distinguished road
Default request to bid

was wondering if anyone has a template for a request to bid that you mail to commercial properties. thanks shawn
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM
FaccLndscpng FaccLndscpng is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila PA
Posts: 118
Rep Power: 9
FaccLndscpng is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
I don't have a template, just basically switch it up every year a little bit:
Mail (more detail)
-letterhead, with some background info (yrs in business, certs or awards...) mail out atleast once a year and again when you finally make contact with a manager.

Email (less detail straight to the point)
- "We would like to be added to your list of potential bidders..."
property managers are a pain and if you bore them they will not read or respond to your email. Send out often especially as a follow up after calling.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

I havent found anything that works. I just gave up with it. If they contact me ill bid if not then screw em.

The responses you will get.
I have a landscaper.
We budget in oct, call then.
none.
No thank you.
Talk to this person.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I havent found anything that works. I just gave up with it. If they contact me ill bid if not then screw em.

The responses you will get.
I have a landscaper.
We budget in oct, call then.
none.
No thank you.
Talk to this person.



usually most not all but 98% of all commercial properties are handled by a management company who is a outside service who takes care of everything so when you call a commercial property and ask for a maintenance manager you are really asking for someone that does not exist, or at least in the particular company you may be speaking to.
so you are never gonna get anywhere with these people.

in my area and all the commercial properties i deal with all our contracts for the following year and bids are done in september and by october it is over with.

this time of year being march 1st all i would be doing is trying to hook up with management co's and dip the wick for next year because 99.9% of all commercial work should be pretty locked down for the year at this point.

the best bet for anyone interested in commercial is to find small to medium sized management co's and get friendly with those people because they will be your key to opening the door to quality commercial work.

word of warning is that you don't ever want to fail in a deal with a management co even if you got to eat a little because they are all associated and have their own little blacklist and share information like that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
usually most not all but 98% of all commercial properties are handled by a management company who is a outside service who takes care of everything so when you call a commercial property and ask for a maintenance manager you are really asking for someone that does not exist, or at least in the particular company you may be speaking to.
so you are never gonna get anywhere with these people.

in my area and all the commercial properties i deal with all our contracts for the following year and bids are done in september and by october it is over with.

this time of year being march 1st all i would be doing is trying to hook up with management co's and dip the wick for next year because 99.9% of all commercial work should be pretty locked down for the year at this point.

the best bet for anyone interested in commercial is to find small to medium sized management co's and get friendly with those people because they will be your key to opening the door to quality commercial work.

word of warning is that you don't ever want to fail in a deal with a management co even if you got to eat a little because they are all associated and have their own little blacklist and share information like that.
I find most of that true.

The companies I deal with take bids in Feb, July and Oct.

I did just get a RFP from a large apartment complex but they were dealing with Brickman. I think there trying to get away from nationals in the last minute.

The point I was making is spamming commercial properties isnt effective. You will rarely get in touch with the right person. If you do the work might be for next year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I find most of that true.

The companies I deal with take bids in Feb, July and Oct.

I did just get a RFP from a large apartment complex but they were dealing with Brickman. I think there trying to get away from nationals in the last minute.

The point I was making is spamming commercial properties isnt effective. You will rarely get in touch with the right person. If you do the work might be for next year.


you are correct in that spamming commercial properties for lack of a better word is not effective.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:47 PM
FaccLndscpng FaccLndscpng is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phila PA
Posts: 118
Rep Power: 9
FaccLndscpng is on a distinguished road
Default

Oh yea dead on guys, the companies that have their stuff together get their contracts out like a season before, most of mine are Aug, Sept and Jan. I'm always questioning a company that starts bidding in March, usually there was a problem from the last landscaper or this company is just unorganized.

Last season I had a company that needed me for snow removal...in January. That's crazy and of course there were reasons for this... they were a bad customer that complained every storm, every invoice and never paid on time. Needless to say...we no longer work for them.

Property managers are a major pain, what worked for me was to bug them to get answers such as what their bid timelines were then once we get that answer start calling and emailing during that month so they don't forget you.

Now I posted this on another thread how the bigger companies are such lowballers. I recently took a job off of Brickman because they were charging around $12,000.00 for a nice size development they were charging 1/2 what the rest of us were bidding its crazy but they undercut themselves, did a bad job and thats why they lost the bid. I used to think it was "the old man with a pick up and a craftsman tractor" that was putting landscapers out of business...

So like DPLD said get in with the small - medium prop mgrs you will make some money, get some experience, accumulate laborers and equipment and you will also need them as a reference.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:02 PM
wilcox_11 wilcox_11 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 4
wilcox_11 is on a distinguished road
Default

OK thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bid assistance request! bkstearns Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 14 03-15-2011 07:34 AM
logo request yard_maid General Business Discussions 5 05-04-2005 09:19 AM
Web Design Request Steve General Business Discussions 10 02-05-2004 06:00 PM
Web Site Request Steve General Business Discussions 3 01-26-2004 06:10 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Any successful one man...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-26-2016 06:04 AM
09-26-2016 05:48 PM
by Steve
1 41
What were your top...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-13-2016 05:10 PM
09-26-2016 05:43 PM
by Steve
4 367
Enter to win Free...
arthur712
09-25-2016 11:28 AM
09-26-2016 05:41 PM
by Steve
1 45
I have a new show!
Chilehead
09-19-2016 06:50 PM
09-23-2016 05:45 AM
by Chilehead
7 137
First commercial estimate
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-19-2016 12:42 PM
09-22-2016 05:42 PM
by acrajchel
7 145
Larger projects - Labor...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-18-2016 07:38 AM
09-21-2016 06:51 AM
by Chilehead
5 163
I need some business...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
07-06-2016 05:42 AM
09-16-2016 01:50 PM
by DLC123
5 615
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
09-16-2016 01:35 PM
by DLC123
15 1,326
Not a newbie just...
lwlawn
09-09-2016 02:32 PM
09-16-2016 01:25 PM
by DLC123
2 519
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
09-16-2016 01:15 PM
by DLC123
6 1,396
Lawn problem
magiccc
09-14-2016 11:37 AM
09-15-2016 06:14 AM
by Chilehead
2 286
What kind of seed do you...
Bradcook21
09-02-2016 02:58 PM
09-12-2016 07:18 AM
by joshp
4 913
Commercial Flail Mower...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 04:46 PM
09-09-2016 04:50 PM
by Steve
7 780
Newbie here
paulgrant
09-07-2016 04:52 PM
09-09-2016 12:01 AM
by paulgrant
2 618
Hello, New Member Here,...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 06:19 PM
09-08-2016 09:35 PM
by Chickenthief
6 740
Pricing fall cleanups?
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-06-2016 11:17 AM
09-07-2016 04:06 PM
by Steve
3 714
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
09-06-2016 05:25 PM
by Steve
1,255 443,795
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 06:51 PM
08-31-2016 02:47 PM
by Steve
21 3,270
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
08-30-2016 07:47 PM
by SC93
11 2,061
fert/lawn programs
joshp
08-28-2016 10:43 AM
08-30-2016 03:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 1,125
» Popular Tags
annual apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts convention converting customer dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care seasonal snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy