Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.

Anyone pack up and move shop?


Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone pack up and move shop?

This year may be my last year where we live. I REALLY hope it is....I hate this area!!!!!

So anyway, here is my question....any input would be great.

Has anyone packed up and moved...starting from scratch again? How did it work for you? Did you save up some cash to start fresh full time or did you ease into it part time while rebuilding? I know the 2 areas are a lot different, but I'll be fine with pricing and all that. A mower with a bigger deck will be needed too. My main worry is starting from scratch and saving enough cash to live off of and afford a hefty amount of advertising to get my name out there as quickly as I can.

The move won't happen till probably some time next year, but I NEED to get a gameplan in place and get everything lined up to make it as easy as it can be...(not like it will be easy at all!)

Any advice or input would be awesome!
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
smallstripeslawncare smallstripeslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 3
smallstripeslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
This year may be my last year where we live. I REALLY hope it is....I hate this area!!!!!

So anyway, here is my question....any input would be great.

Has anyone packed up and moved...starting from scratch again? How did it work for you? Did you save up some cash to start fresh full time or did you ease into it part time while rebuilding? I know the 2 areas are a lot different, but I'll be fine with pricing and all that. A mower with a bigger deck will be needed too. My main worry is starting from scratch and saving enough cash to live off of and afford a hefty amount of advertising to get my name out there as quickly as I can.

The move won't happen till probably some time next year, but I NEED to get a gameplan in place and get everything lined up to make it as easy as it can be...(not like it will be easy at all!)

Any advice or input would be awesome!
I'm currently in Charlotte, NC and was very close to pulling the trigger to move myself and my family (wife and two kids) to the coast of NC. I'm a surfer at heart and love the beach and have always wanted to move to the coast since I was very little. I had enough saved up for about one years worth of rent/bills and enough advertisement to get my name somewhat out there. I did tons of research on the area and the market for lawn care, common grass types, pricing, etc...At the time I was hauling a 36in walk behind and a 4X7 trailer with a 1983 BMW 320I car and it needed a clutch bad and a few others things. I pretty much had to choose to buy a truck and not move (I wouldn't have enough for one years rent/bills/advertisement) or fixing my car and still not having quite as much as we needed and trying to work with faith that I would get enough lawns to make up for it and be okay. I knew it looked pretty bad hauling with my car and it was really straining the car (car was like a third child to me) and so I bought the truck and decided we wouldn't be moving this year.

I still want to move but my wife owns a photography business and she's very successful in Charlotte and I'm decently successful in Charlotte so we would be moving starting over and taking a big risk of it not working out just because I want to move to the beach and live my dreams which is a little selfish when I have kids in the equation. Now if I was single I'd already be at the beach. I'd live in my truck until I had work lol.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
willshome willshome is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 865
Rep Power: 0
willshome is on a distinguished road
Default

If I was thinking about moving I would 4 to 6 months before moving I would setup a phone number "local" and a website. I would then list them all over the web this would give them time to raise in rank. If any one does call just say your booked up for the next few months
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Smallstripes- I'm moving to eastern NC from MD. So the climate change isn't too bad, just a few degrees warmer and more rain in the summer months.

Will thats a dang good idea. We have some time before the house will be built. We just bought the land last July. The 7 acres we have will be enough for a house and equipment....which will make things MUCH easier! I think its an awesome idea to set up a website and get my name out there. Also enough time to get a good website developed....this I have no idea how to do!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
smallstripeslawncare smallstripeslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 3
smallstripeslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
Smallstripes- I'm moving to eastern NC from MD. So the climate change isn't too bad, just a few degrees warmer and more rain in the summer months.

Will thats a dang good idea. We have some time before the house will be built. We just bought the land last July. The 7 acres we have will be enough for a house and equipment....which will make things MUCH easier! I think its an awesome idea to set up a website and get my name out there. Also enough time to get a good website developed....this I have no idea how to do!!
Where in eastern NC are you moving to? I'm pretty familiar with the coastal area's since I'm a surfer. Your biggest change will be the grass type. In MD I guarantee your cutting a cool season grass (fescue, etc...). The coastal areas of NC are warm season grasses and there's a lot of centipede, bahia, and most golf courses have zoysia or bermuda grass and some high end communities have zoysia (probably emerald variety). Research all you can about the types of grass you will be cutting. Centipede is a slow growing grass and is very low maintenance so a lot of people may only want it cut bi-weekly and you won't be able to sell a lot of turf applications.

Also its a hard market to get into being right near the coast because a lot of homes are vacation homes for people and it may be hard to get a hold of the home owners to set up taking care of their property. Also rentals are big at the coast and they're usually managed by one lawn company if they're with a realty that rents them out for the home owner. If your farther inland then it may be a little different. Wilmington is a college town (UNCW) and a lot are college kids that rent a house and split the rent and you may be able to market to them if your going to move near wilmington but keep in mind they may not want weekly service since either the grass doesn't grow that fast (centipede) but also they probably don't care that much about the lawn.

Either way though you'll be fine just have plenty saved up and learn about the grass types.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Sprinkler Buddy's Avatar
Sprinkler Buddy Sprinkler Buddy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 652
Rep Power: 4
Sprinkler Buddy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshome View Post
If I was thinking about moving I would 4 to 6 months before moving I would setup a phone number "local" and a website. I would then list them all over the web this would give them time to raise in rank. If any one does call just say your booked up for the next few months
Take their name and # and tell them you'll call them when an opening becomes available. If they would like.
__________________
Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripeslawncare View Post
Where in eastern NC are you moving to? I'm pretty familiar with the coastal area's since I'm a surfer. Your biggest change will be the grass type. In MD I guarantee your cutting a cool season grass (fescue, etc...). The coastal areas of NC are warm season grasses and there's a lot of centipede, bahia, and most golf courses have zoysia or bermuda grass and some high end communities have zoysia (probably emerald variety). Research all you can about the types of grass you will be cutting. Centipede is a slow growing grass and is very low maintenance so a lot of people may only want it cut bi-weekly and you won't be able to sell a lot of turf applications.

Also its a hard market to get into being right near the coast because a lot of homes are vacation homes for people and it may be hard to get a hold of the home owners to set up taking care of their property. Also rentals are big at the coast and they're usually managed by one lawn company if they're with a realty that rents them out for the home owner. If your farther inland then it may be a little different. Wilmington is a college town (UNCW) and a lot are college kids that rent a house and split the rent and you may be able to market to them if your going to move near wilmington but keep in mind they may not want weekly service since either the grass doesn't grow that fast (centipede) but also they probably don't care that much about the lawn.

Either way though you'll be fine just have plenty saved up and learn about the grass types.
Ya I'm pretty familiar with NC. I was stationed in Jacksonville, we used to hang out at Surf City and Wilmington. Thats actually the reason my wife and I want to go back. I swore I would never go back to NC, but I really miss it! We bought land in Beaufort County, so I'll be staying in that area. Jacksonville wouldn't even be close to my service area, let alone wilmington!!! There's plenty of houses around, but my service area would be spread out further. I'd have to cut a bunch of small commercial accounts too, so a good game plan should set me up (hence the reason for the thread).

MD is pretty much all fescue, my town has some zoysia here and there...how is it cutting bahia?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
smallstripeslawncare smallstripeslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 3
smallstripeslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
Ya I'm pretty familiar with NC. I was stationed in Jacksonville, we used to hang out at Surf City and Wilmington. Thats actually the reason my wife and I want to go back. I swore I would never go back to NC, but I really miss it! We bought land in Beaufort County, so I'll be staying in that area. Jacksonville wouldn't even be close to my service area, let alone wilmington!!! There's plenty of houses around, but my service area would be spread out further. I'd have to cut a bunch of small commercial accounts too, so a good game plan should set me up (hence the reason for the thread).

MD is pretty much all fescue, my town has some zoysia here and there...how is it cutting bahia?
I'm a little familiar with Beaufort county but more with the coastal areas. New bern isn't too far from beaufort. I'm in Charlotte and we have mainly fescue and bermuda grass for the most part so I'm not familiar with bahia but from the research I did when we were planning to move its not that bad. I really wish we would of been able to move.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripeslawncare View Post
I'm a little familiar with Beaufort county but more with the coastal areas. New bern isn't too far from beaufort. I'm in Charlotte and we have mainly fescue and bermuda grass for the most part so I'm not familiar with bahia but from the research I did when we were planning to move its not that bad. I really wish we would of been able to move.
The main reason we're trying so fast is because of the economy. The prices are great....always worth looking!!! I want to get a condo in FL next...hopefully the housing market will stay low for a while.

Try talking to an agent and see what they can dig up for you! You'd be surprised whats out there. Even short sales....

A guy I know up here put an offer in for a house. Appraisal was at $1.2Mil, he offered $500K and got it!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I move the Mail Box CHEESE2009 Community Assistance 5 04-30-2010 08:28 AM
The Volt: Let's get a move on. Steve General Business Discussions 1 09-16-2008 06:12 PM
New Computer: How To Move Database? georgiehopper Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 01-16-2007 12:38 PM
Smart business move Steve General Business Discussions 6 08-17-2006 03:24 PM
When you should move your business Steve General Business Discussions 0 05-23-2006 05:33 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
30 Inch Push Mowers Pros...
Billy Goat
06-27-2013 08:07 PM
Today 04:50 AM
by Billy Goat
25 6,424
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 08:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
122 8,547
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
Yesterday 08:02 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 582
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 09:07 PM
Yesterday 07:35 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 203
Hello from CNY
arazucontracting
Yesterday 06:07 PM
Yesterday 06:07 PM
by arazucontracting
0 67
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
Yesterday 04:52 PM
by Steve
4 229
Not sure, but anyone do...
SnowRemoval2k14
Yesterday 12:10 AM
Yesterday 04:49 PM
by Steve
1 171
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
Yesterday 04:45 PM
by Steve
9 640
Mulching beds
Bradcook21
09-21-2014 07:43 AM
Yesterday 04:43 PM
by Steve
3 251
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
Yesterday 04:36 PM
by Steve
3 639
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
Yesterday 04:35 PM
by Steve
12 1,001
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
09-21-2014 09:23 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 973
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-19-2014 03:29 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,184
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
09-19-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
23 1,573
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-17-2014 08:38 AM
09-19-2014 08:17 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 580
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
09-18-2014 06:32 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
58 6,985
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
09-18-2014 11:19 AM
09-18-2014 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 429
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
09-18-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 690
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-17-2014 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 1,083
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
09-17-2014 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 503
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
09-17-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 844
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
09-17-2014 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 629
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,365
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 5,073
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,278
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 957
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 540
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 644
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 557
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,285
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 1,045
Employee uniforms
Gerardo_Landscape
01-21-2014 11:11 PM
09-15-2014 02:12 PM
by Steve
5 1,164
Greetings from the north
Northwoods Outdoors
09-13-2014 08:55 AM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Steve
1 528
darleneh
darleneh
09-15-2014 12:33 PM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 543
My 1st bid
WesleySnips
06-11-2014 03:13 PM
09-15-2014 02:05 PM
by Steve
29 1,961
New Aerator
Chaz
09-09-2014 11:43 PM
09-15-2014 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 785
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
09-15-2014 01:23 PM
by stevef1201
8 1,453
getting ready to start
calebmoss
05-23-2011 09:35 PM
09-11-2014 12:21 PM
by Steve
34 11,443
Stihl pull cord replace
SGL1
09-03-2014 09:22 PM
09-10-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
9 957
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
09-10-2014 12:16 PM
by Steve
18 1,724
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
09-09-2014 08:05 PM
by Landscaper1165
4 1,212
New truck and trailer...
Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012 03:41 PM
09-09-2014 07:23 PM
by Matther777
18 6,775
What gets you bad press?
Steve
09-09-2014 11:48 AM
09-09-2014 07:21 PM
by Matther777
2 654
Signs on your snow plow?
Steve
01-15-2007 01:07 AM
09-09-2014 11:42 AM
by Steve
19 6,404
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
09-08-2014 08:08 PM
by avetslawncare
12 1,494
New to the business
flamingyouth87
09-05-2014 11:52 AM
09-08-2014 11:55 AM
by Steve
3 874
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
09-08-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
7 1,176
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 08:36 AM
09-07-2014 07:35 AM
by avetslawncare
24 7,947
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
09-06-2014 02:09 PM
by Bradcook21
8 1,267
billing matters
sbuchanan8154
09-05-2014 09:56 AM
09-05-2014 03:00 PM
by Steve
3 847
» Popular Tags
2wd apartment complex article marketing bid blades charge christmas lighting collections collections subcontractor commercial customers decorating ditches employee problems exmark ferris fundraiser georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes holiday lighting how much to charge installation kawasaki landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo leaf lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mow mulch new buisness past due podcast promotion pto redmax running a business savannah scag schedule seo small engine repair snow sprayer starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky theft of services top dresser toro trimmer rack truck new used landscape turfgrass consulting walk behind walker won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy