Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review!

Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! Lawn Care Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Discussion.

10,000 Flyers!!!


Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review!

Lawn Care Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Discussion.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

With all that said, what is your strategy now?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM
I Cut Grass LLC I Cut Grass LLC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 2
I Cut Grass LLC is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
The general rule with flyering is this: you should expect about a 1% response. That doesnt mean you'll close the deal it means they'll respond. So, 10% of 10,000 is 1,000. In other words, you should expect approx 100 responses. The problem you have is that you bid properties up front. 10,000 is a lot to do. So, what if a customer wants his/her lawn push mowed? Does that price you quoted them include that? Or, what if they want it bagged or cut every two weeks or every 10 days etc? Some lawns are going to take longer than others even though they may have the same square footage: for example, lawn a may involve more trimming or lawn b might be fenced in the back where only a small push mower can get to. Still other properties might have a tendency to hold water and thus be easier to damage with your equipment. You aren't just quoting out your work, but the potential liability for you to damage something. The Law of Large Numbers outlines that the more you do the higher probability there is that something bad is going to happen.
Another thing to consider is this: are your flyers going into mailboxes? IF so that is a violation of Federal Law. Are your flyers staying in the newspaper boxes that you are putting them in or are they blowing out all over the neighborhood so that neighbors have trash to clean up? Try looking up neighborhood associations for the areas you want to target and then email the hoa board members and request permission to flyer the community. It'll go a long way on their end and you may end up getting more work as well as an opportunity to do work for the HOA.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 AM
racerdude711 racerdude711 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 5
racerdude711 is on a distinguished road
Default

I guess I should have been more clear on what exactly is on my flyer. It spells out that the quoted price is for a "weekly service". Then, I specified what a weekly service consist of. There is also a * on the flyer that says if your yard contains a fence or other obstacles it may be subject to an additional cost. I feel i've covered my *** as far as that all goes.

Secondly, I have mapped out my area, and know exactly where the $35 dollar flyers go, the $40, so on.

Third, this is for you Steve. As far as why I put the quote on the flyer instead of going out and "selling myself"...think about it. What does EVERY other lawn care company do??? Exactly that. On a customers view point, they have a flyer in their hand from a known lawn care company in the area, that tells them exactly what it will cost to have their lawn cut each week. Very simple. They don't have to call and schedule an appointment with me, have me come out and write a bid, then see that the bid is to high and have to go through the whole process again. They know EXACTLY what they get, and for EXACTLY what price INSTANTLY! It can't get any easier for the potential customer.

What's the golden key to business??? "CREATE VALUE FOR THE CUSTOMER"

By having an instant quote ready for them when they look at the flyer, I've just created value for my customer.

As far as distributing my flyers, I'm trying out a technique that I don't think many other people have done before, and I would be more than happy to share it but as I've said before, there is a certain someone on here that runs a company in my area that will do his best to screw it up for me...but, I can guarantee you that my flyers WILL NOT blow away.

I've thought this whole process through for months now, have spent a good chunk of money getting everything printed and ready to roll, and wouldn't have done so had a thought it may not pay off. What I'm asking from you guys is simply an opinion of what to expect as to how many accounts I may gain. I appreciate all the responses so far.

Last edited by racerdude711; 02-20-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 AM
thom thom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 111
Rep Power: 4
thom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdude711 View Post
I guess I should have been more clear on what exactly is on my flyer. It spells out that the quoted price is for a "weekly service". Then, I specified what a weekly service consist of. There is also a * on the flyer that says if your yard contains a fence or other obstacles it may be subject to an additional cost. I feel i've covered my *** as far as that all goes.

Secondly, I have mapped out my area, and know exactly where the $35 dollar flyers go, the $40, so on.

Third, this is for you Steve. As far as why I put the quote on the flyer instead of going out and "selling myself"...think about it. What does EVERY other lawn care company do??? Exactly that. On a customers view point, they have a flyer in their hand from a known lawn care company in the area, that tells them exactly what it will cost to have their lawn cut each week. Very simple. They don't have to call and schedule an appointment with me, have me come out and write a bid, then see that the bid is to high and have to go through the whole process again. They know EXACTLY what they get, and for EXACTLY what price INSTANTLY! It can't get any easier for the potential customer.

What's the golden key to business??? "CREATE VALUE FOR THE CUSTOMER"

By having an instant quote ready for them when they look at the flyer, I've just created value for my customer.

As far as distributing my flyers, I'm trying out a technique that I don't think many other people have done before, and I would be more than happy to share it but as I've said before, there is a certain someone on here that runs a company in my area that will do his best to screw it up for me...but, I can guarantee you that my flyers WILL NOT blow away.

I've thought this whole process through for months now, have spent a good chunk of money getting everything printed and ready to roll, and wouldn't have done so had a thought it may not pay off. What I'm asking from you guys is simply an opinion of what to expect as to how many accounts I may gain. I appreciate all the responses so far.
Will your competition see your flyers, if they were looking for them?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM
thom thom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 111
Rep Power: 4
thom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Cut Grass LLC View Post
The general rule with flyering is this: you should expect about a 1% response. That doesnt mean you'll close the deal it means they'll respond. So, 10% of 10,000 is 1,000. In other words, you should expect approx 100 responses. The problem you have is that you bid properties up front. 10,000 is a lot to do. So, what if a customer wants his/her lawn push mowed? Does that price you quoted them include that? Or, what if they want it bagged or cut every two weeks or every 10 days etc? Some lawns are going to take longer than others even though they may have the same square footage: for example, lawn a may involve more trimming or lawn b might be fenced in the back where only a small push mower can get to. Still other properties might have a tendency to hold water and thus be easier to damage with your equipment. You aren't just quoting out your work, but the potential liability for you to damage something. The Law of Large Numbers outlines that the more you do the higher probability there is that something bad is going to happen.
Another thing to consider is this: are your flyers going into mailboxes? IF so that is a violation of Federal Law. Are your flyers staying in the newspaper boxes that you are putting them in or are they blowing out all over the neighborhood so that neighbors have trash to clean up? Try looking up neighborhood associations for the areas you want to target and then email the hoa board members and request permission to flyer the community. It'll go a long way on their end and you may end up getting more work as well as an opportunity to do work for the HOA.
Hope this helps.
I mailed 15000 post cards in mid March of 2011.I received 5 calls.
I did a spring clean up for 1.the others were price shopping.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM
lawn Stylist lawn Stylist is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 5
lawn Stylist is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I mailed 15000 post cards in mid March of 2011.I received 5 calls.
I did a spring clean up for 1.the others were price shopping.
You might need to rethink the design of your flyer. That is a very low response.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM
BelleCityLawn1's Avatar
BelleCityLawn1 BelleCityLawn1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 192
Rep Power: 2
BelleCityLawn1 is on a distinguished road
Default

racerdude711,

I do usually about 2,000 door hangers at a time. I seem to gain 10-20 customers each time I put a round of door hangers out with about 50-75 phone calls of people price shopping. The competition in my area is extremely high so the amount of people just shopping is extremely high. I would guess somewhere between 45-100 new customers. That is just based off of what I know in my area. Hope this helps!

Thank you,
Tim Oezer
Belle City Lawn Care, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM
thom thom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 111
Rep Power: 4
thom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn Stylist View Post
You might need to rethink the design of your flyer. That is a very low response.

You might be right.
presently, I have several designs I am
working on.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
SterlingLawns SterlingLawns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 2
SterlingLawns is on a distinguished road
Default

I think its a good idea to put the price on the flyer, its a strong reason for the home owners to call!

I've had bad luck in the past with mailers, although they were professionally designed and really nice to look at. Because my flyers didn't have enough "pull" or "call to action" or whatever and so they pretty much flopped, I got way less than 1% return on several thousand.

So I say the putting the price on the flyer is a great idea!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM
I Cut Grass LLC I Cut Grass LLC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 2
I Cut Grass LLC is on a distinguished road
Default

The only problem I see at all is the giving out of a price up front. It doesnt give them a chance to get to you know you unless they call you. Sure they have a flyer, but that doesnt sell YOU and how YOU are different from everyone else. So, it focuses on price. And, perhaps that's necessary to get started. It cant hurt that's for sure. It's just one of many ways and I'm sure you'll get some business from it.
You may also want to consider, if you dont already, a referral program on those flyers. If someone referse another person(s) by a certain date, and said person makes a seasonal commitment/agreement, then the referer gets 3 or 4 cuts free. It did wonders for me.
Hope you have the best year you've had since you have been in business!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to get flyers out NOW! racerdude711 Starting a lawn care business. 12 01-22-2012 12:04 AM
How Many Flyers? SpringField Lawn Care Starting a lawn care business. 6 01-19-2011 02:15 AM
flyers slmowing General Talk 3 11-24-2009 01:31 PM
Help with flyers... usmcman001 Promote your products or services 10 04-30-2009 09:52 PM
flyers gmoney55 Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 14 04-24-2008 01:49 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
Yesterday 09:45 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
189 16,588
Georgia Boys!
Chilehead
12-18-2014 10:23 PM
Yesterday 09:36 PM
by Chilehead
2 70
I'm BACK!
SuperiorPower
12-16-2014 11:08 PM
Yesterday 08:21 PM
by jrs.landscaping
5 180
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 08:15 PM
Yesterday 07:48 PM
by SuperiorPower
9 290
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
Yesterday 06:00 PM
by homey
5 151
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
12-17-2014 05:07 PM
Yesterday 05:44 PM
by stevef1201
7 196
Has Obamacare helped or...
Steve
12-18-2014 04:37 PM
Yesterday 05:43 PM
by stevef1201
3 89
what do you "love" to...
calebmoss
07-06-2011 10:05 PM
12-17-2014 05:09 PM
by Chilehead
28 8,929
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 02:56 PM
12-17-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
23 2,960
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 09:51 AM
12-17-2014 09:40 AM
by SuperiorPower
34 6,109
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
12-17-2014 09:13 AM
by SuperiorPower
15 1,303
New to Gopher Haul-from...
323k13l
12-12-2014 10:34 PM
12-15-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
3 279
hi
creteland
12-12-2014 09:06 AM
12-15-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
5 280
New addition to my small...
googus
12-12-2014 07:36 PM
12-15-2014 07:47 AM
by googus
4 345
Ferris IS700Z
rmccutchan
12-14-2014 01:10 AM
12-14-2014 11:41 PM
by rmccutchan
4 251
Charge what the market...
Billy Goat
12-09-2014 12:39 PM
12-14-2014 06:39 PM
by biglee
20 792
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
12-12-2014 07:18 AM
by steveinil
4 796
Utility Company Right of...
eastsidelandcare
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
by eastsidelandcare
0 270
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
12-11-2014 04:50 PM
by eastsidelandcare
33 4,062
suggestions on full lawn...
Brian3137
12-10-2014 07:18 PM
12-11-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
6 384
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 11:20 PM
12-11-2014 09:43 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
18 3,355
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
12-10-2014 02:45 PM
by WesleySnips
7 615
Echo pb200 blower fuel...
googus
12-06-2014 09:03 PM
12-09-2014 06:35 PM
by Steve
3 464
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
12-09-2014 06:24 PM
by Steve
36 9,791
Are you prepared for the...
Steve
12-02-2014 04:13 PM
12-09-2014 06:22 PM
by Steve
7 885
Email Address Name
Just Cuts
12-07-2014 09:49 PM
12-08-2014 03:15 PM
by Steve
3 420
Inspection form
stevef1201
12-07-2014 10:38 AM
12-08-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 411
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
12-08-2014 12:37 PM
by jrs.landscaping
108 34,164
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
12-07-2014 06:35 PM
by stevef1201
24 1,694
Innovation by mandate
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 01:33 PM
12-06-2014 03:27 PM
by SGL1
12 957
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 10:07 PM
12-05-2014 11:06 AM
by Steve
9 2,250
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
12-04-2014 01:32 PM
by stevef1201
15 1,438
How many hours is too...
Just Cuts
12-04-2014 09:00 AM
12-04-2014 01:02 PM
by Just for Cuts
6 590
Does this sound like a...
googus
12-03-2014 07:47 AM
12-04-2014 12:37 PM
by Steve
5 669
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
12-04-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
14 1,216
New website
SGL1
12-02-2014 10:55 PM
12-03-2014 11:17 PM
by BLC7
19 840
Websites, how long...
Dan Tanner
03-09-2014 08:29 AM
12-03-2014 11:12 PM
by SGL1
21 3,226
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 11:04 PM
12-03-2014 10:36 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 1,858
GPS trackers for...
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:09 PM
12-03-2014 07:17 PM
by Steve
8 696
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
12-03-2014 06:31 PM
by SGL1
17 1,436
Hiring Subs over Temps
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:26 AM
12-03-2014 01:24 PM
by Steve
3 625
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
12-02-2014 11:11 PM
by SGL1
11 9,516
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
12-02-2014 02:17 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 1,475
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
12-02-2014 08:47 AM
by SGL1
6 1,491
old contracts
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 11:10 AM
12-01-2014 11:20 AM
by Steve
3 702
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
12-01-2014 10:54 AM
by Steve
9 1,265
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
12-01-2014 10:45 AM
by Steve
32 15,164
Intuit Quickbooks...
CDLAWNCARE
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
0 606
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
11-28-2014 01:36 PM
by Just Cuts
1,196 355,610
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
09-30-2014 06:42 PM
11-28-2014 10:49 AM
by Steve
13 2,310
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 aerocore apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades care charge christmas collections edging employee problems equipment rental estimate foreman four wheel drive gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills holiday husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing mr dave mulch mulch estimate new buisness new mower ordinance past due per hour service podcast pto push versus ride running a business savannah scripts search engine optimization seo shreaded small engine repair snow sprayer starting a business toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack truck new used landscape turfgrass consulting up sell employee won't return wood
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy