Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review!

Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! Lawn Care Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Discussion.

10,000 Flyers!!!


Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review!

Lawn Care Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Discussion.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,386
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

With all that said, what is your strategy now?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I Cut Grass LLC I Cut Grass LLC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 2
I Cut Grass LLC is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
The general rule with flyering is this: you should expect about a 1% response. That doesnt mean you'll close the deal it means they'll respond. So, 10% of 10,000 is 1,000. In other words, you should expect approx 100 responses. The problem you have is that you bid properties up front. 10,000 is a lot to do. So, what if a customer wants his/her lawn push mowed? Does that price you quoted them include that? Or, what if they want it bagged or cut every two weeks or every 10 days etc? Some lawns are going to take longer than others even though they may have the same square footage: for example, lawn a may involve more trimming or lawn b might be fenced in the back where only a small push mower can get to. Still other properties might have a tendency to hold water and thus be easier to damage with your equipment. You aren't just quoting out your work, but the potential liability for you to damage something. The Law of Large Numbers outlines that the more you do the higher probability there is that something bad is going to happen.
Another thing to consider is this: are your flyers going into mailboxes? IF so that is a violation of Federal Law. Are your flyers staying in the newspaper boxes that you are putting them in or are they blowing out all over the neighborhood so that neighbors have trash to clean up? Try looking up neighborhood associations for the areas you want to target and then email the hoa board members and request permission to flyer the community. It'll go a long way on their end and you may end up getting more work as well as an opportunity to do work for the HOA.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:49 AM
racerdude711 racerdude711 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 5
racerdude711 is on a distinguished road
Default

I guess I should have been more clear on what exactly is on my flyer. It spells out that the quoted price is for a "weekly service". Then, I specified what a weekly service consist of. There is also a * on the flyer that says if your yard contains a fence or other obstacles it may be subject to an additional cost. I feel i've covered my *** as far as that all goes.

Secondly, I have mapped out my area, and know exactly where the $35 dollar flyers go, the $40, so on.

Third, this is for you Steve. As far as why I put the quote on the flyer instead of going out and "selling myself"...think about it. What does EVERY other lawn care company do??? Exactly that. On a customers view point, they have a flyer in their hand from a known lawn care company in the area, that tells them exactly what it will cost to have their lawn cut each week. Very simple. They don't have to call and schedule an appointment with me, have me come out and write a bid, then see that the bid is to high and have to go through the whole process again. They know EXACTLY what they get, and for EXACTLY what price INSTANTLY! It can't get any easier for the potential customer.

What's the golden key to business??? "CREATE VALUE FOR THE CUSTOMER"

By having an instant quote ready for them when they look at the flyer, I've just created value for my customer.

As far as distributing my flyers, I'm trying out a technique that I don't think many other people have done before, and I would be more than happy to share it but as I've said before, there is a certain someone on here that runs a company in my area that will do his best to screw it up for me...but, I can guarantee you that my flyers WILL NOT blow away.

I've thought this whole process through for months now, have spent a good chunk of money getting everything printed and ready to roll, and wouldn't have done so had a thought it may not pay off. What I'm asking from you guys is simply an opinion of what to expect as to how many accounts I may gain. I appreciate all the responses so far.

Last edited by racerdude711; 02-20-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 AM
thom thom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 106
Rep Power: 3
thom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdude711 View Post
I guess I should have been more clear on what exactly is on my flyer. It spells out that the quoted price is for a "weekly service". Then, I specified what a weekly service consist of. There is also a * on the flyer that says if your yard contains a fence or other obstacles it may be subject to an additional cost. I feel i've covered my *** as far as that all goes.

Secondly, I have mapped out my area, and know exactly where the $35 dollar flyers go, the $40, so on.

Third, this is for you Steve. As far as why I put the quote on the flyer instead of going out and "selling myself"...think about it. What does EVERY other lawn care company do??? Exactly that. On a customers view point, they have a flyer in their hand from a known lawn care company in the area, that tells them exactly what it will cost to have their lawn cut each week. Very simple. They don't have to call and schedule an appointment with me, have me come out and write a bid, then see that the bid is to high and have to go through the whole process again. They know EXACTLY what they get, and for EXACTLY what price INSTANTLY! It can't get any easier for the potential customer.

What's the golden key to business??? "CREATE VALUE FOR THE CUSTOMER"

By having an instant quote ready for them when they look at the flyer, I've just created value for my customer.

As far as distributing my flyers, I'm trying out a technique that I don't think many other people have done before, and I would be more than happy to share it but as I've said before, there is a certain someone on here that runs a company in my area that will do his best to screw it up for me...but, I can guarantee you that my flyers WILL NOT blow away.

I've thought this whole process through for months now, have spent a good chunk of money getting everything printed and ready to roll, and wouldn't have done so had a thought it may not pay off. What I'm asking from you guys is simply an opinion of what to expect as to how many accounts I may gain. I appreciate all the responses so far.
Will your competition see your flyers, if they were looking for them?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
thom thom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 106
Rep Power: 3
thom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Cut Grass LLC View Post
The general rule with flyering is this: you should expect about a 1% response. That doesnt mean you'll close the deal it means they'll respond. So, 10% of 10,000 is 1,000. In other words, you should expect approx 100 responses. The problem you have is that you bid properties up front. 10,000 is a lot to do. So, what if a customer wants his/her lawn push mowed? Does that price you quoted them include that? Or, what if they want it bagged or cut every two weeks or every 10 days etc? Some lawns are going to take longer than others even though they may have the same square footage: for example, lawn a may involve more trimming or lawn b might be fenced in the back where only a small push mower can get to. Still other properties might have a tendency to hold water and thus be easier to damage with your equipment. You aren't just quoting out your work, but the potential liability for you to damage something. The Law of Large Numbers outlines that the more you do the higher probability there is that something bad is going to happen.
Another thing to consider is this: are your flyers going into mailboxes? IF so that is a violation of Federal Law. Are your flyers staying in the newspaper boxes that you are putting them in or are they blowing out all over the neighborhood so that neighbors have trash to clean up? Try looking up neighborhood associations for the areas you want to target and then email the hoa board members and request permission to flyer the community. It'll go a long way on their end and you may end up getting more work as well as an opportunity to do work for the HOA.
Hope this helps.
I mailed 15000 post cards in mid March of 2011.I received 5 calls.
I did a spring clean up for 1.the others were price shopping.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
lawn Stylist lawn Stylist is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 5
lawn Stylist is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I mailed 15000 post cards in mid March of 2011.I received 5 calls.
I did a spring clean up for 1.the others were price shopping.
You might need to rethink the design of your flyer. That is a very low response.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
BelleCityLawn1's Avatar
BelleCityLawn1 BelleCityLawn1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 2
BelleCityLawn1 is on a distinguished road
Default

racerdude711,

I do usually about 2,000 door hangers at a time. I seem to gain 10-20 customers each time I put a round of door hangers out with about 50-75 phone calls of people price shopping. The competition in my area is extremely high so the amount of people just shopping is extremely high. I would guess somewhere between 45-100 new customers. That is just based off of what I know in my area. Hope this helps!

Thank you,
Tim Oezer
Belle City Lawn Care, LLC
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
thom thom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 106
Rep Power: 3
thom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn Stylist View Post
You might need to rethink the design of your flyer. That is a very low response.

You might be right.
presently, I have several designs I am
working on.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
SterlingLawns SterlingLawns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 2
SterlingLawns is on a distinguished road
Default

I think its a good idea to put the price on the flyer, its a strong reason for the home owners to call!

I've had bad luck in the past with mailers, although they were professionally designed and really nice to look at. Because my flyers didn't have enough "pull" or "call to action" or whatever and so they pretty much flopped, I got way less than 1% return on several thousand.

So I say the putting the price on the flyer is a great idea!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
I Cut Grass LLC I Cut Grass LLC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 2
I Cut Grass LLC is on a distinguished road
Default

The only problem I see at all is the giving out of a price up front. It doesnt give them a chance to get to you know you unless they call you. Sure they have a flyer, but that doesnt sell YOU and how YOU are different from everyone else. So, it focuses on price. And, perhaps that's necessary to get started. It cant hurt that's for sure. It's just one of many ways and I'm sure you'll get some business from it.
You may also want to consider, if you dont already, a referral program on those flyers. If someone referse another person(s) by a certain date, and said person makes a seasonal commitment/agreement, then the referer gets 3 or 4 cuts free. It did wonders for me.
Hope you have the best year you've had since you have been in business!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to get flyers out NOW! racerdude711 Starting a lawn care business. 12 01-21-2012 11:04 PM
How Many Flyers? SpringField Lawn Care Starting a lawn care business. 6 01-19-2011 01:15 AM
flyers slmowing General Talk 3 11-24-2009 12:31 PM
Help with flyers... usmcman001 Promote your products or services 10 04-30-2009 08:52 PM
flyers gmoney55 Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 14 04-24-2008 12:49 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 10:11 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
117 8,024
This sucks...
Matther777
Yesterday 04:56 PM
Today 09:44 PM
by Chaz
4 136
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
Today 05:59 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 778
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
Today 03:29 PM
by acrajchel
6 946
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
Today 11:49 AM
by Steve
23 1,304
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-17-2014 08:38 AM
Today 08:17 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 279
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
Yesterday 06:32 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
58 6,706
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
Yesterday 11:19 AM
Yesterday 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 132
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
Yesterday 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 384
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-17-2014 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 879
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
09-17-2014 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 211
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
09-17-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 570
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
09-17-2014 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 364
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
09-16-2014 10:43 PM
by SGL1
6 394
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,166
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 4,831
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,055
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 753
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 354
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 394
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
09-15-2014 02:31 PM
by Steve
1 363
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 368
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,066
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 838
Employee uniforms
Gerardo_Landscape
01-21-2014 11:11 PM
09-15-2014 02:12 PM
by Steve
5 969
Greetings from the north
Northwoods Outdoors
09-13-2014 08:55 AM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Steve
1 335
darleneh
darleneh
09-15-2014 12:33 PM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 235
My 1st bid
WesleySnips
06-11-2014 03:13 PM
09-15-2014 02:05 PM
by Steve
29 1,753
New Aerator
Chaz
09-09-2014 11:43 PM
09-15-2014 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 585
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
09-15-2014 01:23 PM
by stevef1201
8 1,229
getting ready to start
calebmoss
05-23-2011 09:35 PM
09-11-2014 12:21 PM
by Steve
34 11,244
Stihl pull cord replace
SGL1
09-03-2014 09:22 PM
09-10-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
9 759
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
09-10-2014 12:16 PM
by Steve
18 1,493
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
09-09-2014 08:05 PM
by Landscaper1165
4 983
New truck and trailer...
Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012 03:41 PM
09-09-2014 07:23 PM
by Matther777
18 6,576
What gets you bad press?
Steve
09-09-2014 11:48 AM
09-09-2014 07:21 PM
by Matther777
2 462
Signs on your snow plow?
Steve
01-15-2007 01:07 AM
09-09-2014 11:42 AM
by Steve
19 6,209
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
09-08-2014 08:08 PM
by avetslawncare
12 1,280
New to the business
flamingyouth87
09-05-2014 11:52 AM
09-08-2014 11:55 AM
by Steve
3 670
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
09-08-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
7 957
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 08:36 AM
09-07-2014 07:35 AM
by avetslawncare
24 7,748
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
09-06-2014 02:09 PM
by Bradcook21
8 1,046
billing matters
sbuchanan8154
09-05-2014 09:56 AM
09-05-2014 03:00 PM
by Steve
3 650
Thoughts
googus
09-05-2014 07:28 AM
09-05-2014 02:23 PM
by Steve
2 597
Backflow Tester
flowcheckllc.2014
09-03-2014 04:37 PM
09-05-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 691
Collections & collection...
jscarolina
09-03-2014 04:39 PM
09-04-2014 03:14 PM
by Steve
2 702
Sod
RosalesLawnCare
08-27-2014 03:47 PM
09-04-2014 02:42 PM
by RosalesLawnCare
4 956
Lawn needs top soil What...
jymie
08-26-2014 11:01 AM
09-03-2014 12:07 PM
by Steve
7 1,027
Hello! New here and...
CaliforniaFriendly
08-29-2014 11:30 AM
09-03-2014 11:15 AM
by Steve
4 940
New to the industry-...
Lsmain
08-31-2014 10:53 AM
09-02-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
1 854
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate butterfly gardens care charge christmas deliquentaccounts estimate exmark fall ferris financing foreman four wheel drive franchise gopherhaul grass gravely hills holiday how much to charge introduction kansas city labor cost landscape services late lawn lawn care busines plan lawn care business lawn care business book lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website leaf cleanup lesco lighting managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic monthly mowing mulch price new buisness new business new mower outdoor environments podcast property management company push versus ride reo scag scripts search engine optimization season seo snow plowing starting a business starting a lawn care business steve stihl theft tips toro tractor auger trailer mate pro walker wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy