Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

The recap of my first year:


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Cheese, how many accounts did you lose when you switched to prepay or pay in advance? I'm going to be doing that for this year.


Last year I did great. But around the end of the year I got a lot of aeration jobs and had to fire my helper. Then some customers were VERY slow at paying....had to send out a few nasty letters. It stressed me the hell out and I kept telling myself I'd have to change some things.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
John Lawson John Lawson is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
John Lawson is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourscape View Post
I am west of Cleveland, in Elyria.
I was born in Elyria. It's a great place to be from...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM
PR-Fect PR-Fect is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 8
PR-Fect
Default

Yourscape, congrat's on the the first year.It sounds like you have allot invested in your bussiness so far. Do not forget to invest in yourself. Take a hort. class at your local tec school or university extension. Get industry certified.Become profesional. Good luck in your next year.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM
yourscape yourscape is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 3
yourscape is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawson View Post
I was born in Elyria. It's a great place to be from...
So far it has been good, the people are a lot different here.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 AM
yourscape yourscape is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 3
yourscape is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Fect View Post
Yourscape, congrat's on the the first year.It sounds like you have allot invested in your bussiness so far. Do not forget to invest in yourself. Take a hort. class at your local tec school or university extension. Get industry certified.Become profesional. Good luck in your next year.
I have been reading a lot of books this winter. I am on the bubble on going to get my fertilizer license, just not sure if it will be worth it since according to Ohio there is a lot of extra expenses with insurance that I am not sure i would be able to profit from this.

Thanks for the Luck and same to you!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM
supermason50 supermason50 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 6
supermason50 is on a distinguished road
Default The 80/20 rule

Yourscape**Congrats on year 1. At the begining of EVERY YEAR, dump 20% of your WORST customers. The remaining 80% you keep will make you 100% more efficient. It took me 3 years to learn this.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,289
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
At the begining of EVERY YEAR, dump 20% of your WORST customers. The remaining 80% you keep will make you 100% more efficient. It took me 3 years to learn this.
What was the moment when you decided to go this way? Also, how do you figure which are the worst 20%? And whats the best way to dump them nicely?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
yourscape yourscape is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 3
yourscape is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermason50 View Post
Yourscape**Congrats on year 1. At the begining of EVERY YEAR, dump 20% of your WORST customers. The remaining 80% you keep will make you 100% more efficient. It took me 3 years to learn this.
I totally understand what you mean on this one. I have 2 customers that are dragging me down with the season just right around the corner. I am actually send out a letter tonight to one of them.

I have realized that there are 2 types of customers out there. 1's that want the service and appreciate you and don't have a problem paying you what you are worth, and 1's that need the service for one reason or another and want you to feel bad for charging them and if they could suck you dry for every penny your other customers are paying you.

Thanks I needed this post!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,289
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I have 2 customers that are dragging me down with the season just right around the corner.
What do these customers do that make them the worst of your group?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Year TiedemanLLC General Business Discussions 13 01-11-2012 01:42 PM
First year Chachi General Talk 4 08-06-2010 09:43 PM
New this year ndereski Introduce Yourself 3 02-15-2010 05:51 AM
2nd year TOUJOURS PRET Introduce Yourself 2 07-17-2008 07:37 AM
Best LCO of the year Steve General Business Discussions 6 01-28-2005 08:23 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 08:51 AM
Today 01:26 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
25 3,538
Need help pricing basic...
Bradcook21
Today 01:21 AM
Today 01:05 PM
by Steve
2 59
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
Yesterday 08:57 AM
Today 01:01 PM
by Steve
6 126
How do I approach...
Bradcook21
Yesterday 01:48 AM
Today 12:54 PM
by Steve
7 154
yearly contract help...
jrob0691
Yesterday 04:09 PM
Today 12:48 PM
by Steve
1 42
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
Today 10:18 AM
Today 10:18 AM
by BLC7
0 32
Pampas bushes
Bradcook21
Today 01:30 AM
Today 07:17 AM
by grassdoctore
1 37
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
Yesterday 08:50 PM
by phlawncare
2 81
Fuel Can Spouts
Shark1611
08-16-2014 09:09 AM
Yesterday 08:23 PM
by SGL1
11 279
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Yesterday 05:03 PM
by stevef1201
6 568
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
Yesterday 01:43 PM
by Steve
9 273
Hello
M2Dave
Yesterday 12:32 AM
Yesterday 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 46
New Landscaping Business
rekon32
08-16-2014 02:26 PM
Yesterday 12:33 PM
by SouthallMowing
8 322
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
08-20-2014 04:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
100 6,015
Downed Tree Chop Bid
WesleySnips
08-16-2014 03:47 PM
08-20-2014 01:44 PM
by SGL1
10 321
60 inch honda/bunton...
pblawncare
08-17-2014 11:30 AM
08-18-2014 03:19 PM
by Steve
2 108
Replacement Parts -...
nicholas-KC
08-16-2014 08:40 AM
08-18-2014 03:16 PM
by Steve
4 176
Preparing the soil
Billy Goat
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
08-18-2014 03:01 PM
by Steve
1 111
What to pay help
phlawncare
08-04-2014 08:33 PM
08-18-2014 10:33 AM
by jrs.landscaping
29 886
Hello
Jeff1
08-07-2014 11:18 PM
08-15-2014 11:53 PM
by Jeff1
11 407
Lie #2 RESIDENTIAL...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-06-2014 05:02 AM
08-15-2014 01:46 PM
by mattthelawnguy
54 6,372
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
08-01-2014 03:31 PM
08-15-2014 08:46 AM
by kslawn
18 584
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
08-14-2014 02:37 AM
by BlackRain75
12 1,748
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
08-13-2014 03:34 PM
by Steve
3 163
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
08-13-2014 03:29 PM
by Steve
1 209
Hello from Jacksonville,...
JM Lawn Care
08-10-2014 07:15 AM
08-13-2014 07:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
9 308
Hello everyone new to...
maddyandrays
08-11-2014 04:51 PM
08-12-2014 08:58 PM
by Shark1611
2 165
Walk behinds
hpruitcei
08-07-2014 06:28 PM
08-12-2014 02:35 PM
by mattthelawnguy
7 419
New name help
stevef1201
08-10-2014 04:27 PM
08-12-2014 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 287
my little green dilemmas
Lawn Techie
08-03-2014 11:47 AM
08-11-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
7 406
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
08-02-2014 01:02 AM
08-11-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
6 419
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
08-11-2014 01:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
13 696
Covering all the bases
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:11 AM
08-08-2014 01:41 PM
by Steve
1 240
New from Florida
ADE
08-06-2014 08:40 PM
08-08-2014 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 320
JOB - Landscape Install...
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
by janslawncare
0 207
Battery power tools or...
Steve
08-07-2014 12:24 PM
08-07-2014 05:18 PM
by mattthelawnguy
2 212
My client just told me...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-04-2014 08:39 AM
08-06-2014 11:14 PM
by grassdoctore
12 542
Illegal spraying
GoGreenerKS
07-04-2014 09:11 AM
08-06-2014 02:03 PM
by Steve
13 1,167
Mowing the hills
prmenter@gmail.com
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
08-06-2014 01:40 PM
by Steve
20 1,383
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
08-06-2014 10:29 AM
by eastsidelandcare
5 591
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
08-05-2014 07:12 PM
by TheBeast
30 1,989
Late charge
Simon Abousaada
07-30-2014 07:23 PM
08-05-2014 06:46 PM
by TheBeast
12 794
buy out a lawn care...
rvezakis
08-05-2014 01:38 PM
08-05-2014 06:40 PM
by TheBeast
10 512
Please help
unitedlawncare48867
03-26-2014 08:29 PM
08-05-2014 05:27 PM
by TheBeast
27 1,584
Help with Estimate
donslawns
08-02-2014 09:10 AM
08-05-2014 02:24 PM
by Steve
6 452
Stuck again!!!!
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-01-2014 11:02 PM
08-05-2014 09:05 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
10 460
Mow and leaf cleanup bid
SGL1
07-29-2014 07:28 PM
08-05-2014 07:22 AM
by petscanning
25 971
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
08-04-2014 06:53 PM
by kslawn
17 756
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
08-04-2014 01:09 PM
by Steve
48 5,805
long time no see
Tuscan Gardens
08-02-2014 03:21 PM
08-04-2014 12:04 PM
by Steve
1 285
» Popular Tags
4wd advertisement apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate article marketing bid charge christmas lighting christmas light service courtesy call credit card processing customers decorating escrow estimate exmark ferris fundraiser gopherhaul grass gravely gravely 34" zero turn hardscapes hills holiday holiday decorating holiday lighting how much to charge introduction landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business book lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website leaf leaf removal lighting managing a lawn care business marketing native plants new buisness new mower online classifieds outdoor environments patio install payment podcast push versus ride redmax reo scag scripts search engine optimization seo snow sprayer starting a business starting a lawn care business steve stihl theft toro turfgrass consulting walker zero turn
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy