Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Contract OR No Contract ??


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 AM
turfmaster's Avatar
turfmaster turfmaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 366
Rep Power: 6
turfmaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Contracts for commercial and contracts for residential only if they request it.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Norcal Norcal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yuba city Ca.
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 5
Norcal is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
I don't use contracts. It's been a good selling point for me. The customers don't feel like they are stuck with me and it gives the the choice to go if they want. But I don't advertise "No Contracts", nor bring it up in conversation. If they ask I tell the there isn't one. It puts them at ease with me and makes them more comfortable. I haven't had any big problems with non payers...I have a nice letter I send to them and they usually pay. This year everything is prepay so I won't have to chase money. I'm taking the Cheese approach on things.

I see both sides to the story though. If it's a big job like some of the guys were saying, a contract would be a good thing.

Maybe one day I'll look into doing them, but if it works for me now, theres no point to change it.
I agree with the contract thing we don't use them we have a service agreement and we prefer year round service and if you start a month you finish it. If there is a problem with the service tell me and I will step my game up if you still dont like my best tell me to kick rocks and i will be done at the end of the month. based on this I still have the first 25 to 30 account I singed 4 years ago and still getting new account based on this method hope I still have them 10 years from now and the new account to come up to 77 now and not looking back I love game. Nothing like writing your own ticket.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
I agree with the contract thing we don't use them we have a service agreement and we prefer year round service and if you start a month you finish it. If there is a problem with the service tell me and I will step my game up if you still dont like my best tell me to kick rocks and i will be done at the end of the month. based on this I still have the first 25 to 30 account I singed 4 years ago and still getting new account based on this method hope I still have them 10 years from now and the new account to come up to 77 now and not looking back I love game. Nothing like writing your own ticket.
I can't agree more. I think it gives an edge over your competition. Or it may attract the wrong type of customer....who knows. I did a quote yesterday for a lady, she said she wanted to sign up and asked for the contract. When I explained I don't do them, she laughed and said my services get better and better. I explained to her that if she isn't happy, let me know and I'll fix it. If I can't fix it, kick me to the curb and we'll both more on. It makes them feel at ease, and a good selling point is "I have to earn your business each month by not having a contract". I do, however, send out new customer letters explaining in detail the job to be performed and payment.

I think for commercial accounts its just plain stupid not to have a contract. I worked for a fairly large family owned company before, and it was a HUGE PITA trying to collect from other companies. Not to mention, those contracts were what kept them in business. A good one has to be in place with every detail written out.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
I can't agree more. I think it gives an edge over your competition. Or it may attract the wrong type of customer....who knows. I did a quote yesterday for a lady, she said she wanted to sign up and asked for the contract. When I explained I don't do them, she laughed and said my services get better and better. I explained to her that if she isn't happy, let me know and I'll fix it. If I can't fix it, kick me to the curb and we'll both more on. It makes them feel at ease, and a good selling point is "I have to earn your business each month by not having a contract". I do, however, send out new customer letters explaining in detail the job to be performed and payment.

I think for commercial accounts its just plain stupid not to have a contract. I worked for a fairly large family owned company before, and it was a HUGE PITA trying to collect from other companies. Not to mention, those contracts were what kept them in business. A good one has to be in place with every detail written out.


i am confused as to why you think a customer can not do all of the above with a contract?

a contract and a service agreement are the same thing essentially for this business and a contract is not only good for you it is good for the customer too.
it protects them from a guy saying he will cut their lawn for 30 bucks a week and decides after he realizes he priced it too low from raising it to $40.00.

all it is doing is outlining what you will be doing and what you will be charging for it and when it will be done and for them by signing it is saying i authorize you to do the work as described above and i will make payments according to the terms of the agreement.

if it is a maintenance contract mine clearly state that if at any time a customer is not satisfied with my services and i have failed to remedy the issue they can at any time cancel my services and will only be responsible to pay for services up to the point of cancellation.

in 23 years i have never not gotten a job because i gave them a proposal in writing and required a authorization signature.
maybe the area's we live in are that different but in my region you can not do a estimate or get a job without someone asking you to put it in writing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i am confused as to why you think a customer can not do all of the above with a contract?

a contract and a service agreement are the same thing essentially for this business and a contract is not only good for you it is good for the customer too.
it protects them from a guy saying he will cut their lawn for 30 bucks a week and decides after he realizes he priced it too low from raising it to $40.00.

all it is doing is outlining what you will be doing and what you will be charging for it and when it will be done and for them by signing it is saying i authorize you to do the work as described above and i will make payments according to the terms of the agreement.

if it is a maintenance contract mine clearly state that if at any time a customer is not satisfied with my services and i have failed to remedy the issue they can at any time cancel my services and will only be responsible to pay for services up to the point of cancellation.

in 23 years i have never not gotten a job because i gave them a proposal in writing and required a authorization signature.
maybe the area's we live in are that different but in my region you can not do a estimate or get a job without someone asking you to put it in writing.
I think thats it right there. Don't get me wrong, I have everything backed up. For example, I won't start a job until an email confirmation is sent. This way it's all documented. Hacking into an email and reading emails is the same crime as opening a mailbox and reading letters.

I don't know how much this has to do with it, but part of promoting my company is saying I'm a USMC veteran. With all government work around here, and many military bases, a lot of people relate to me and I relate to them. I got a new customer yesterday, she works for the government. She asked about my service, I briefly told her about it, and we shook hands and went from there. This area also has A LOT of guys doing anything and everything to make a quick buck. Many are unreliable and do terrible work. Showing up on time for appointments goes a long way with a lot of people I sign up. You'd be amazed at how many customers say "Wow, I can't believe your on time", or "Thanks for even showing up!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got Bad Contract Off Here boog Starting a lawn care business. 11 03-13-2011 05:51 PM
Need your help - Should I contract? Growing Green General Business Discussions 1 12-24-2010 01:01 PM
Contract for Job?? rclandscaping General Business Discussions 3 03-16-2009 09:06 AM
contract moseley creek General Talk 1 10-24-2007 05:26 PM
Contract F.A.Q.'s Steve Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 0 02-23-2004 10:31 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
Yesterday 10:06 AM
Today 06:31 AM
by Mr Dave
3 138
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
Yesterday 08:54 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 187
Real Estate??
tbtigers03
Yesterday 06:43 PM
Yesterday 08:17 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
3 108
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
Yesterday 08:01 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
16 763
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
Yesterday 07:37 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
25 1,116
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Yesterday 06:13 PM
by tbtigers03
6 346
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
Yesterday 05:42 PM
Yesterday 05:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 82
Sprinkler head guards...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-27-2014 04:55 AM
Yesterday 05:51 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
4 387
Give Me Your Problems
ellakit
Yesterday 04:10 PM
Yesterday 04:10 PM
by ellakit
0 17
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
Yesterday 03:53 PM
by ellakit
1,188 336,236
Whe does Mowing season...
jack2048
Yesterday 07:05 AM
Yesterday 02:38 PM
by Steve
3 159
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
Yesterday 02:17 PM
by Steve
4 313
hey
sizemorelawncare
09-28-2014 08:12 PM
09-29-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
2 247
Update on LawnsAway and...
Ian Lovejoy
09-28-2014 10:24 AM
09-29-2014 03:09 PM
by Steve
2 302
Need to figure out how...
tjslawnde
09-28-2014 10:31 AM
09-29-2014 03:05 PM
by Steve
4 316
Aerocore Deck?
wdrdoctor
09-26-2014 06:21 PM
09-29-2014 02:36 PM
by Steve
3 443
Hello from CNY
arazucontracting
09-22-2014 06:07 PM
09-29-2014 02:33 PM
by Steve
3 695
How to price lawn mowing.
jack2048
09-24-2014 04:18 PM
09-29-2014 02:27 PM
by Steve
4 543
Pricing ????
6295danny
01-14-2013 07:54 PM
09-29-2014 02:22 PM
by Steve
35 6,568
30 Inch Push Mowers Pros...
Billy Goat
06-27-2013 08:07 PM
09-27-2014 04:11 PM
by SGL1
30 7,076
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
09-26-2014 04:16 PM
by stevef1201
5 1,084
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-17-2014 08:38 AM
09-25-2014 09:18 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
10 1,110
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
09-25-2014 08:01 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
124 9,301
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 09:07 PM
09-23-2014 11:13 AM
by Steve
4 788
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
09-22-2014 08:02 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 1,170
Not sure, but anyone do...
SnowRemoval2k14
09-22-2014 12:10 AM
09-22-2014 04:49 PM
by Steve
1 731
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
09-22-2014 04:45 PM
by Steve
9 1,064
Mulching beds
Bradcook21
09-21-2014 07:43 AM
09-22-2014 04:43 PM
by Steve
3 804
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
09-22-2014 04:35 PM
by Steve
12 1,434
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
09-21-2014 09:23 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 1,453
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-19-2014 03:29 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,679
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
09-19-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
23 2,107
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
09-18-2014 06:32 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
58 7,507
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
09-18-2014 11:19 AM
09-18-2014 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 905
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
09-18-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 1,089
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-17-2014 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 1,518
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
09-17-2014 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 919
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
09-17-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 1,281
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
09-17-2014 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 1,035
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,786
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 5,527
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,705
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 1,425
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 930
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 1,056
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 974
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,780
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 1,508
Employee uniforms
Gerardo_Landscape
01-21-2014 11:11 PM
09-15-2014 02:12 PM
by Steve
5 1,574
Greetings from the north
Northwoods Outdoors
09-13-2014 08:55 AM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Steve
1 921
» Popular Tags
4wd bob villa charge christmas christmas lighting collections commercial demonstration ditches employee problems estimate exmark ferris first truck fundraiser georgia gopherhaul gravely hardscapes holiday how much to charge how to how to bid hydraulic introduction kawasaki labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business book lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lawn care website seo leaf removal lesco lighting marketing mowing mulch estimate new buisness new mower past due patio install podcast property management company reo rotating running a business scag scag v-ride seo sprayer starting a business start up lawn care business steep lawns steve stihl tips top dresser toro trailer mate pro truck new used landscape walker won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy