Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

A few Questions...


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 AM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default A few Questions...

So I have been in business for a few months now. I really started full time this month and so far have done some clean ups and have landed a few residential accounts. Since going full time, I have been averaging one new account a week. Most homes have less than 3500 sq ft of yard that needs servicing.

My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been? I am not trying in no way to low ball the local market, but at the same time i want to build up long term customers and establish routes. I know every region is different and prices vary but A) I have the extra time and B) the price difference is less than $50 on most homes so far.

My second question is about craigslist. I have noticed that there are a few companies locally that post 3-5 times a day. This makes my ad pretty much disappear unless the person looking for my services just happens to be on at the right time. I do not want to be that guy that overloads craigslist, but I enjoy the free advertising. So far I have landed two calls this month from it and have only posted twice so far this month. I was wondering whats is a good interval to post new ads or renew ads? what do you guys recommend?

My third question is about shirts. So far I have had a few polos embroidered and really think it has payed off far as my companies appearance during bids. I want to get some long sleeve shirts screen printed (about a dozen) but so far have not found a place online that I can design my shirts and get them at a decent price (most want around $30 a shirt) is there any place that you all know of that may be better priced online?

My last question is more of a preference question. I have a Honda 215 model mower that I got for free and a Mclane rotary mower that I picked up from craigslist for $60 that has a Honda motor and both run decent but I do not feel are as reliable as I need because of age/ not really taken care of before me. I would like to more less use them as back ups when needed and am looking at buying a new Honda mower in the near future. I have been wondering if the Honda commercial line would be a better investment or just going with their HRX 217 line would be better as far as ROI ?

Thank you all for reading my post, and keep in mind when replying that I am still a newbie in this industry that is trying to make a living.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomYardService View Post
So I have been in business for a few months now. I really started full time this month and so far have done some clean ups and have landed a few residential accounts. Since going full time, I have been averaging one new account a week. Most homes have less than 3500 sq ft of yard that needs servicing.

My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been? I am not trying in no way to low ball the local market, but at the same time i want to build up long term customers and establish routes. I know every region is different and prices vary but A) I have the extra time and B) the price difference is less than $50 on most homes so far.

My second question is about craigslist. I have noticed that there are a few companies locally that post 3-5 times a day. This makes my ad pretty much disappear unless the person looking for my services just happens to be on at the right time. I do not want to be that guy that overloads craigslist, but I enjoy the free advertising. So far I have landed two calls this month from it and have only posted twice so far this month. I was wondering whats is a good interval to post new ads or renew ads? what do you guys recommend?

My third question is about shirts. So far I have had a few polos embroidered and really think it has payed off far as my companies appearance during bids. I want to get some long sleeve shirts screen printed (about a dozen) but so far have not found a place online that I can design my shirts and get them at a decent price (most want around $30 a shirt) is there any place that you all know of that may be better priced online?

My last question is more of a preference question. I have a Honda 215 model mower that I got for free and a Mclane rotary mower that I picked up from craigslist for $60 that has a Honda motor and both run decent but I do not feel are as reliable as I need because of age/ not really taken care of before me. I would like to more less use them as back ups when needed and am looking at buying a new Honda mower in the near future. I have been wondering if the Honda commercial line would be a better investment or just going with their HRX 217 line would be better as far as ROI ?

Thank you all for reading my post, and keep in mind when replying that I am still a newbie in this industry that is trying to make a living.
Hopefully I can help you....but I don't feel like typing a whole lot. So your going to get short answers.


Question 1. Don't drop your rate. Charge accordingly. If its overgrown, then charge for it. BUT- make sure you go there and see the property BEFORE you quote! I see a lot of people use google or google earth to give quotes....thats a good way to lose your @$$.


Question 2. Post a few ad's a day. Make your subject stand out, don't post the usual "Cheap Lawn Care". Best times to post: 8am, noon, and 7pm.

Question 3. I can't find any for a good price.

Question 4. I don't know anything about honda's. But if its free, use it till its dead. If its only a push mower, its easy to get another one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,982
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been?
What percentage of those estimates are you winning when you give a higher price?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

I have the same mower as you and I beat it to hell for 4 years and it runs fine. I also have a older honda model from the early 90s that still run. I bought a few toros and they broke in less then 2 years.

I would look at a good size walk behind. The time difference youll spend on a lawn is worth the investment. My first 48" walk behind was also from the 90s and it ran fine all the way till the day I sold it.

Last edited by SECTLANDSCAPING; 01-24-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I have the same mower as you and I beat it to hell for 4 years and it runs fine. I also have a older honda model from the early 90s that still run. I bought a few toros and they broke in less then 2 years.

I would look at a good size walk behind. The time difference youll spend on a lawn is worth the investment. My first 48" walk behind was also from the 90s and it ran fine all the way till the day I sold it.
Thank you, I will check out that site. I ended up going down to the local mower shop and picked up a new HRC-216. I really like the blade stop feature and for the size lawns I am doing right now, it is perfect. I will however look for a bigger walk behind here in the near future or when the property sizes increase. I am glad you mentioned that about your toros. I was almost about to purchase one of them, but I just haven't herd much about them and I know the Hondas can last a long time if taken care of correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What percentage of those estimates are you winning when you give a higher price?
I have won ever single one of my cleanups. I have been debating increasing the price a little more on that though. The problem is, getting the customers converted over to a regular plan now. Most say, they will be calling me back for a regular mowing plan in the next few months. I was thinking about offering to mow it at my weekly or bi-weekly price if the sign up with me now or pay the higher price for the one time clean up. My total loss would be less than $50 on most homes and I would be gaining a regular monthly customer now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,982
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I have won ever single one of my cleanups. I have been debating increasing the price a little more on that though.
If you are getting every single one of them, you are more than likely no charging enough. A business theory we see many on here subscribe to is, early on they will bid lower to get the work. As their schedule fills up, they raise their prices and start to replace customers they are not making enough money on with customers that pay more. So you are on the right track.

We also have to keep in mind what you are talking about is one time jobs that you are trying to convert to weekly.

One of the problems you may be having with the conversion of it is because, the mowing season may not be here yet, depending on where you live. So if the customer doesn't need it done again next week and may not need it cut for another month(s) it becomes an out of sight out of mind issue.

If that is the case, you will most likely have more success with the conversion of one time to weekly customers, when the mowing season gets going.

Quote:
I was thinking about offering to mow it at my weekly or bi-weekly price if the sign up with me now or pay the higher price for the one time clean up. My total loss would be less than $50 on most homes and I would be gaining a regular monthly customer now.
If it is worth it to you to experiment with this, then try it out. See how it works. I am thinking you won't have to do this once the mowing season is here, but you will never know for sure what works until you experiment with it.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
craigslist, first mow, honda mowers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy with some questions in P.A. M.A.H. Starting a lawn care business. 11 11-06-2012 10:13 AM
Questions We Have devuono311 Starting a lawn care business. 5 04-03-2010 08:59 AM
Few Questions Lynden-Jeff Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 01-04-2007 04:50 PM
2 questions... Billz Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 03-26-2006 08:20 PM
Two Questions tiedeman Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 08-14-2005 06:04 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 01:41 AM
Yesterday 08:55 PM
by aduttonater
10 502
price for snow clearing?
Bradcook21
02-25-2015 09:11 PM
Yesterday 08:54 PM
by Bradcook21
5 171
rock salt
Bradcook21
02-24-2015 11:17 AM
Yesterday 08:37 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
22 466
stubbon people
Bradcook21
02-16-2015 04:25 PM
Yesterday 04:40 PM
by jrs.landscaping
37 1,208
My Newborn son
avetslawncare
Yesterday 01:07 PM
Yesterday 02:18 PM
by Steve
2 46
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
Yesterday 11:37 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
52 11,784
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 01:31 PM
02-26-2015 03:43 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 1,723
viking cyclon.
uppercut
01-29-2015 09:12 PM
02-26-2015 02:54 PM
by Steve
5 506
Ugliest lawn contest
Steve
02-23-2015 04:17 PM
02-26-2015 02:51 PM
by Steve
2 272
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 01:06 AM
02-26-2015 02:41 PM
by Steve
1 108
Another website update
Chilehead
02-26-2015 11:24 AM
02-26-2015 12:46 PM
by Just for Cuts
3 104
tips on creating a...
BLAZIER-1991
01-08-2015 07:22 PM
02-26-2015 02:44 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 708
New Lawn Care Service...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:49 AM
02-26-2015 02:24 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
1 108
Finally!
SGL1
02-22-2015 09:46 PM
02-25-2015 10:15 PM
by SGL1
13 448
leaf removal.. mulching...
facework84
08-05-2011 03:26 PM
02-25-2015 08:07 PM
by Steve
5 2,789
How many customers?
SC93
02-25-2015 12:40 AM
02-25-2015 04:59 PM
by SC93
5 228
Irrigation...
charlieallen
02-24-2015 01:16 PM
02-25-2015 02:58 PM
by Steve
6 222
use a small business...
BLAZIER-1991
12-25-2014 12:21 AM
02-25-2015 12:46 AM
by SC93
33 2,804
honest opinion please
uppercut
02-17-2015 02:30 AM
02-24-2015 07:12 PM
by homey
10 646
2nd year advice anyone
Bradcook21
02-18-2015 07:00 PM
02-24-2015 05:15 PM
by Bradcook21
14 627
need help
lawnexpers115
02-23-2015 05:36 PM
02-24-2015 02:49 PM
by Steve
3 266
Hello People
nativikee
02-23-2015 07:17 PM
02-24-2015 02:43 PM
by Steve
4 272
New member
qua ke zik 001
02-23-2015 11:24 AM
02-23-2015 03:40 PM
by Steve
1 227
New Video
Sprinkler Buddy
02-22-2015 09:18 PM
02-23-2015 03:19 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 251
need help with SCAG...
apmAkron
02-23-2015 09:14 AM
02-23-2015 01:57 PM
by apmAkron
3 249
which degrees would be...
BLAZIER-1991
02-20-2015 04:46 PM
02-23-2015 01:47 PM
by Steve
9 415
Trouble logging in
avetslawncare
02-21-2015 02:06 PM
02-23-2015 01:44 PM
by Steve
1 480
John Deere Quik Track...
acrajchel
02-20-2015 03:12 PM
02-23-2015 01:40 PM
by Steve
1 284
Trimming and...
joshlawncare
02-15-2015 02:04 PM
02-22-2015 09:48 PM
by SGL1
5 614
where can i post this
zippy-phil
02-17-2015 07:58 PM
02-20-2015 02:02 PM
by Steve
7 499
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 11:41 AM
02-19-2015 04:43 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
29 2,649
Thumbs up or down?
lawnman1959
02-18-2015 11:40 AM
02-19-2015 01:22 PM
by Chilehead
3 414
Am I growing too fast?
Mattcrump
08-04-2011 11:54 PM
02-19-2015 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 5,206
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
02-19-2015 12:31 PM
by Steve
1,215 371,688
How to obtain more...
winkie61
02-17-2015 08:31 AM
02-19-2015 12:29 PM
by Steve
3 518
Mowing 2 acres
Bradcook21
01-05-2015 03:13 PM
02-19-2015 12:23 PM
by Steve
16 1,466
How to sell annual...
GroPro
02-17-2015 12:31 PM
02-18-2015 01:46 PM
by GroPro
5 506
FREE Custom Website...
breadcrumb
01-31-2015 10:58 PM
02-18-2015 01:32 PM
by Steve
5 1,106
Taking a step back
Billy Goat
02-16-2015 07:37 AM
02-18-2015 01:17 PM
by Chilehead
9 589
Employees
stevej
02-17-2015 05:25 PM
02-18-2015 12:47 PM
by Mr. Mow
1 404
Landscapers from hell!!
Chilehead
01-29-2015 03:55 PM
02-17-2015 07:48 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 1,013
Cannot access your Itune...
winkie61
02-17-2015 10:00 AM
02-17-2015 03:26 PM
by Steve
1 358
Advertising on internet...
Sprinkler Buddy
02-13-2015 01:22 PM
02-17-2015 01:00 PM
by Steve
9 672
new to this forum
NIP'N'TUK
02-14-2015 07:54 PM
02-16-2015 10:03 PM
by Steve
2 488
Advice on bidding 20...
sleepydunn
02-15-2015 07:38 PM
02-16-2015 09:59 PM
by Steve
4 604
New to me mower
xandrew245x
04-27-2014 08:02 PM
02-16-2015 09:48 PM
by Steve
8 1,395
mower blades
tlf59263
02-09-2015 12:36 PM
02-16-2015 05:16 PM
by Just for Cuts
8 821
Just Quit?
ringahding1
01-30-2015 06:23 AM
02-16-2015 02:16 PM
by joshlawncare
18 1,503
Advice on Bidding...
veteranlawnservice
02-08-2015 09:21 PM
02-16-2015 12:14 PM
by joshlawncare
18 1,217
Extending the life of...
rmccutchan
01-17-2015 12:37 AM
02-16-2015 09:51 AM
by rmccutchan
20 1,582
» Popular Tags
4wd ad landscaping aerocore apartment bid apartment complex applying auger billy goat brushcutter blades bush deliquentaccounts design ditches employee problems equipment rental estimate ferris flyers foreman four wheel drive free advertising google gopherhaul growing a lawn care business hiring husqvarna introduction jobs john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets mr dave mulch per hour service podcast pricing pto push versus ride running a business secrets to landscaping sell the vision seo shell small engine repair square foot starting a lawn care business steep lawns sulky theft toro grand stand trailer tree trimmer rack up sell employee walk behind web design website design winterization
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy