Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

A few Questions...


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 AM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 2
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default A few Questions...

So I have been in business for a few months now. I really started full time this month and so far have done some clean ups and have landed a few residential accounts. Since going full time, I have been averaging one new account a week. Most homes have less than 3500 sq ft of yard that needs servicing.

My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been? I am not trying in no way to low ball the local market, but at the same time i want to build up long term customers and establish routes. I know every region is different and prices vary but A) I have the extra time and B) the price difference is less than $50 on most homes so far.

My second question is about craigslist. I have noticed that there are a few companies locally that post 3-5 times a day. This makes my ad pretty much disappear unless the person looking for my services just happens to be on at the right time. I do not want to be that guy that overloads craigslist, but I enjoy the free advertising. So far I have landed two calls this month from it and have only posted twice so far this month. I was wondering whats is a good interval to post new ads or renew ads? what do you guys recommend?

My third question is about shirts. So far I have had a few polos embroidered and really think it has payed off far as my companies appearance during bids. I want to get some long sleeve shirts screen printed (about a dozen) but so far have not found a place online that I can design my shirts and get them at a decent price (most want around $30 a shirt) is there any place that you all know of that may be better priced online?

My last question is more of a preference question. I have a Honda 215 model mower that I got for free and a Mclane rotary mower that I picked up from craigslist for $60 that has a Honda motor and both run decent but I do not feel are as reliable as I need because of age/ not really taken care of before me. I would like to more less use them as back ups when needed and am looking at buying a new Honda mower in the near future. I have been wondering if the Honda commercial line would be a better investment or just going with their HRX 217 line would be better as far as ROI ?

Thank you all for reading my post, and keep in mind when replying that I am still a newbie in this industry that is trying to make a living.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomYardService View Post
So I have been in business for a few months now. I really started full time this month and so far have done some clean ups and have landed a few residential accounts. Since going full time, I have been averaging one new account a week. Most homes have less than 3500 sq ft of yard that needs servicing.

My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been? I am not trying in no way to low ball the local market, but at the same time i want to build up long term customers and establish routes. I know every region is different and prices vary but A) I have the extra time and B) the price difference is less than $50 on most homes so far.

My second question is about craigslist. I have noticed that there are a few companies locally that post 3-5 times a day. This makes my ad pretty much disappear unless the person looking for my services just happens to be on at the right time. I do not want to be that guy that overloads craigslist, but I enjoy the free advertising. So far I have landed two calls this month from it and have only posted twice so far this month. I was wondering whats is a good interval to post new ads or renew ads? what do you guys recommend?

My third question is about shirts. So far I have had a few polos embroidered and really think it has payed off far as my companies appearance during bids. I want to get some long sleeve shirts screen printed (about a dozen) but so far have not found a place online that I can design my shirts and get them at a decent price (most want around $30 a shirt) is there any place that you all know of that may be better priced online?

My last question is more of a preference question. I have a Honda 215 model mower that I got for free and a Mclane rotary mower that I picked up from craigslist for $60 that has a Honda motor and both run decent but I do not feel are as reliable as I need because of age/ not really taken care of before me. I would like to more less use them as back ups when needed and am looking at buying a new Honda mower in the near future. I have been wondering if the Honda commercial line would be a better investment or just going with their HRX 217 line would be better as far as ROI ?

Thank you all for reading my post, and keep in mind when replying that I am still a newbie in this industry that is trying to make a living.
Hopefully I can help you....but I don't feel like typing a whole lot. So your going to get short answers.


Question 1. Don't drop your rate. Charge accordingly. If its overgrown, then charge for it. BUT- make sure you go there and see the property BEFORE you quote! I see a lot of people use google or google earth to give quotes....thats a good way to lose your @$$.


Question 2. Post a few ad's a day. Make your subject stand out, don't post the usual "Cheap Lawn Care". Best times to post: 8am, noon, and 7pm.

Question 3. I can't find any for a good price.

Question 4. I don't know anything about honda's. But if its free, use it till its dead. If its only a push mower, its easy to get another one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,289
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been?
What percentage of those estimates are you winning when you give a higher price?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

I have the same mower as you and I beat it to hell for 4 years and it runs fine. I also have a older honda model from the early 90s that still run. I bought a few toros and they broke in less then 2 years.

I would look at a good size walk behind. The time difference youll spend on a lawn is worth the investment. My first 48" walk behind was also from the 90s and it ran fine all the way till the day I sold it.

Last edited by SECTLANDSCAPING; 01-24-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 2
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I have the same mower as you and I beat it to hell for 4 years and it runs fine. I also have a older honda model from the early 90s that still run. I bought a few toros and they broke in less then 2 years.

I would look at a good size walk behind. The time difference youll spend on a lawn is worth the investment. My first 48" walk behind was also from the 90s and it ran fine all the way till the day I sold it.
Thank you, I will check out that site. I ended up going down to the local mower shop and picked up a new HRC-216. I really like the blade stop feature and for the size lawns I am doing right now, it is perfect. I will however look for a bigger walk behind here in the near future or when the property sizes increase. I am glad you mentioned that about your toros. I was almost about to purchase one of them, but I just haven't herd much about them and I know the Hondas can last a long time if taken care of correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 2
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What percentage of those estimates are you winning when you give a higher price?
I have won ever single one of my cleanups. I have been debating increasing the price a little more on that though. The problem is, getting the customers converted over to a regular plan now. Most say, they will be calling me back for a regular mowing plan in the next few months. I was thinking about offering to mow it at my weekly or bi-weekly price if the sign up with me now or pay the higher price for the one time clean up. My total loss would be less than $50 on most homes and I would be gaining a regular monthly customer now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,289
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I have won ever single one of my cleanups. I have been debating increasing the price a little more on that though.
If you are getting every single one of them, you are more than likely no charging enough. A business theory we see many on here subscribe to is, early on they will bid lower to get the work. As their schedule fills up, they raise their prices and start to replace customers they are not making enough money on with customers that pay more. So you are on the right track.

We also have to keep in mind what you are talking about is one time jobs that you are trying to convert to weekly.

One of the problems you may be having with the conversion of it is because, the mowing season may not be here yet, depending on where you live. So if the customer doesn't need it done again next week and may not need it cut for another month(s) it becomes an out of sight out of mind issue.

If that is the case, you will most likely have more success with the conversion of one time to weekly customers, when the mowing season gets going.

Quote:
I was thinking about offering to mow it at my weekly or bi-weekly price if the sign up with me now or pay the higher price for the one time clean up. My total loss would be less than $50 on most homes and I would be gaining a regular monthly customer now.
If it is worth it to you to experiment with this, then try it out. See how it works. I am thinking you won't have to do this once the mowing season is here, but you will never know for sure what works until you experiment with it.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
craigslist, first mow, honda mowers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy with some questions in P.A. M.A.H. Starting a lawn care business. 11 11-06-2012 09:13 AM
Questions We Have devuono311 Starting a lawn care business. 5 04-03-2010 07:59 AM
Few Questions Lynden-Jeff Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 01-04-2007 03:50 PM
2 questions... Billz Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 03-26-2006 07:20 PM
Two Questions tiedeman Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 08-14-2005 05:04 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 08:51 AM
Today 01:26 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
25 3,543
Need help pricing basic...
Bradcook21
Today 01:21 AM
Today 01:05 PM
by Steve
2 62
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
Yesterday 08:57 AM
Today 01:01 PM
by Steve
6 127
How do I approach...
Bradcook21
Yesterday 01:48 AM
Today 12:54 PM
by Steve
7 155
yearly contract help...
jrob0691
Yesterday 04:09 PM
Today 12:48 PM
by Steve
1 42
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
Today 10:18 AM
Today 10:18 AM
by BLC7
0 35
Pampas bushes
Bradcook21
Today 01:30 AM
Today 07:17 AM
by grassdoctore
1 37
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
Yesterday 08:50 PM
by phlawncare
2 81
Fuel Can Spouts
Shark1611
08-16-2014 09:09 AM
Yesterday 08:23 PM
by SGL1
11 279
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Yesterday 05:03 PM
by stevef1201
6 569
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
Yesterday 01:43 PM
by Steve
9 273
Hello
M2Dave
Yesterday 12:32 AM
Yesterday 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 47
New Landscaping Business
rekon32
08-16-2014 02:26 PM
Yesterday 12:33 PM
by SouthallMowing
8 323
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
08-20-2014 04:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
100 6,018
Downed Tree Chop Bid
WesleySnips
08-16-2014 03:47 PM
08-20-2014 01:44 PM
by SGL1
10 322
60 inch honda/bunton...
pblawncare
08-17-2014 11:30 AM
08-18-2014 03:19 PM
by Steve
2 108
Replacement Parts -...
nicholas-KC
08-16-2014 08:40 AM
08-18-2014 03:16 PM
by Steve
4 176
Preparing the soil
Billy Goat
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
08-18-2014 03:01 PM
by Steve
1 111
What to pay help
phlawncare
08-04-2014 08:33 PM
08-18-2014 10:33 AM
by jrs.landscaping
29 891
Hello
Jeff1
08-07-2014 11:18 PM
08-15-2014 11:53 PM
by Jeff1
11 407
Lie #2 RESIDENTIAL...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-06-2014 05:02 AM
08-15-2014 01:46 PM
by mattthelawnguy
54 6,378
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
08-01-2014 03:31 PM
08-15-2014 08:46 AM
by kslawn
18 584
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
08-14-2014 02:37 AM
by BlackRain75
12 1,751
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
08-13-2014 03:34 PM
by Steve
3 163
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
08-13-2014 03:29 PM
by Steve
1 211
Hello from Jacksonville,...
JM Lawn Care
08-10-2014 07:15 AM
08-13-2014 07:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
9 309
Hello everyone new to...
maddyandrays
08-11-2014 04:51 PM
08-12-2014 08:58 PM
by Shark1611
2 166
Walk behinds
hpruitcei
08-07-2014 06:28 PM
08-12-2014 02:35 PM
by mattthelawnguy
7 421
New name help
stevef1201
08-10-2014 04:27 PM
08-12-2014 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 291
my little green dilemmas
Lawn Techie
08-03-2014 11:47 AM
08-11-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
7 406
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
08-02-2014 01:02 AM
08-11-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
6 419
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
08-11-2014 01:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
13 697
Covering all the bases
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:11 AM
08-08-2014 01:41 PM
by Steve
1 241
New from Florida
ADE
08-06-2014 08:40 PM
08-08-2014 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 321
JOB - Landscape Install...
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
by janslawncare
0 208
Battery power tools or...
Steve
08-07-2014 12:24 PM
08-07-2014 05:18 PM
by mattthelawnguy
2 212
My client just told me...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-04-2014 08:39 AM
08-06-2014 11:14 PM
by grassdoctore
12 544
Illegal spraying
GoGreenerKS
07-04-2014 09:11 AM
08-06-2014 02:03 PM
by Steve
13 1,168
Mowing the hills
prmenter@gmail.com
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
08-06-2014 01:40 PM
by Steve
20 1,383
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
08-06-2014 10:29 AM
by eastsidelandcare
5 591
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
08-05-2014 07:12 PM
by TheBeast
30 1,994
Late charge
Simon Abousaada
07-30-2014 07:23 PM
08-05-2014 06:46 PM
by TheBeast
12 795
buy out a lawn care...
rvezakis
08-05-2014 01:38 PM
08-05-2014 06:40 PM
by TheBeast
10 512
Please help
unitedlawncare48867
03-26-2014 08:29 PM
08-05-2014 05:27 PM
by TheBeast
27 1,584
Help with Estimate
donslawns
08-02-2014 09:10 AM
08-05-2014 02:24 PM
by Steve
6 454
Stuck again!!!!
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-01-2014 11:02 PM
08-05-2014 09:05 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
10 460
Mow and leaf cleanup bid
SGL1
07-29-2014 07:28 PM
08-05-2014 07:22 AM
by petscanning
25 973
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
08-04-2014 06:53 PM
by kslawn
17 758
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
08-04-2014 01:09 PM
by Steve
48 5,807
long time no see
Tuscan Gardens
08-02-2014 03:21 PM
08-04-2014 12:04 PM
by Steve
1 286
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 ads birdscaping charge christmas christmas light hanging collections subcontractor commercial craigslist customers ditches employee problems exmark fall ferris financing foreman franchise gopherhaul grass gravely holiday how much to charge how to bid husqvarna hydraulic installation invoice labor cost landscape services late lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website leaf cleanup lesco lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing new and restored landscapes new buisness podcast promotion riding mower running a business savannah scag scag v-ride seo starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky theft of services tips top dresser toro truck new used landscape upsell walk behind walker winter money making ideas won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy